• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Man, I'm pretty terrible at Melee.
Same here, but I'm working on that.
as long as you guys enjoy the game :)

and uh, don't make ridiculous claims for no reason.

sleepyk sux
truf
Falco has the best approach options in the game due to the laser, so if you want to play Falco you have to use his gun and use it a lot ;)

unlike our manly friend Falcon, he has a gun strapped to his waist and he doesn't even use it, what a champ
But why should I approach if I have the option to time people out and approach at will..

And lemme rephrase that.

I CAN approach with lazers, I just can't do it very fast like Zhu can.
i think i fall into the scrub catergory right now in brawl. honestly. i could be so much better. i really suck right now. ****.
i think you're where i am in melee -- "Almost good"

lol what a brawl player

thinking you can time people out

serin, you're picking up falco because... he *****? or you're bored of practicing falcon by yourself?

here's my "l2melee!" outline that i tell people who need it.

here's the basic outline. when i say "down" i mean to a point where you rarely, if ever, miss it.
1) do not fight cpus.
2) get your short hops down
3) get your lcancels down
4) get your fast falls down
5) practice lcanceling in the 3 different ways you would encounter them. best way to do this is to plug in another controller, set damage ratio to .5, and give yourself a handicap of 1. pick bowser for the other controller's character.
5a) practice lcanceling on nothing, just sh ff/fj ff/delayed variants of non ff or platform dropped aerials etc.
5b) practice lcanceling with all the other aforementioned variants on the bowser so you learn hitstun timing
5c) do the same, but turn on stars on low or medium. stars have the same amount of stun as shields do, so this is the best way to practice shieldstun unless you have an AR and infinite shield code.
6) practice isaiah dropping.
7) practice wd, obv
8) practice wavelanding and platform wavelanding as well as wavelanding onto the stage.
9) watch other good roys (neo, sethlon) and copy what they do.
10) don't practice for more than maybe 15 minutes a day. unless you really really want to get something down, extending your practice sessions beyond 10-15 minutes usually results in you getting bored and trying out things for characters you'll never end up using or other things.
other than that, try not to gain experience on your own because it won't happen.
11) when you play someone better than you, don't try to beat them. try to learn from the match. figure things out. play to "not lose" by figuring out what works when. if you have any questions or want to know about what really combos, study videos or ask somebody.

j00t

Smash Champion
You brosephs should come to Huntsville :)

@ SleepyK: I agree with your outline, but I still play Andy to **** him up. I guess I'm doing it wrong :p

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
We were in Huntsville last weekend. Got a warm welcome form the military there, "Is this the way to the anime convention?" Lol, they were gonna search us but some other lost fools were already being searched.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I can't play CPUs?

Baawwwwwwwww :L

Anywayz, besides the obvious sarcasm above, why can't I play CPUs just to practice combos.

I'm not playing to win, so I don't pick up bad habits.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
sorry broski, you lose.

you were pretty diddly dang awful at melee alabama is ok at melee... and that was when you made the "Roy has a better matchup than marth against fox"

i wouldn't say you're a scrub, but you are a nub.

at that tournament i went all falcon who is a character I don't play
and I also had a relatively hard pool including moogle, ihsb, and marsfool..and i think nes noob too
and i did pretty well against spceballs mario and made him have to go back to samus (at which point he wrecked my face)
if i was as good as I am now back in the days when there were melee tournaments ever weekend, i would have gotten out of pools more often
but now only dedicated good players are the only ones that still play melee
but i never said i was at a high level in melee
im decent but i have very poor tech skill
but i understand how the game works

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
If someone brings hamburger buns and someone else brings some cokes, Ill make some hamburgers.

But no hamburger buns=no hamburgers. Any takers?

If you want to come Janitor, just PM me or Zero for the address.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
^has janitor never been to zeros?

also, imma borrow my bros ps2 controller if he lets me. and i have plenty of saves for us to do some bosses in ToS.
and money(we'll see...ill at least bring a 2-liter tho xD)

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I'll try to come, but I'm leaving for SC at 5:00 am the next morning... so maybe not, and if so, maybe not for long.

And zero got Kola banned... I guess its time to stop...lol

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
at that tournament i went all falcon who is a character I don't play
and I also had a relatively hard pool including moogle, ihsb, and marsfool..and i think nes noob too
and i did pretty well against spceballs mario and made him have to go back to samus (at which point he wrecked my face)
if i was as good as I am now back in the days when there were melee tournaments ever weekend, i would have gotten out of pools more often
but now only dedicated good players are the only ones that still play melee
but i never said i was at a high level in melee
im decent but i have very poor tech skill
but i understand how the game works
1) johns - i played vs a couple of your characters in friendlies.
2) johns - nes n00b was in my pool. your pool was probably the one with cornel and ihsb in it.
3) johns
4) johns
5) no, you're bad and have very poor tech skill. your metagame, which should still be relatively fine if you were "decent" or "good enough to be able to make it out of pools" is pretty much that of someone who had just started learning melee. it doesn't matter if you were rusty. someone like.. tom, who was scrub to decent level (and hasn't played or entered tournaments in two years or so) would make smart decisions but lack game knowledge and experience. you, on the other hand, played like it was your first time playing melee against people.
6) you don't really. you think you do, but you don't.

once again t1j, i have nothing against you, but you're still wrong about your character knowledge. you have been repeatedly incorrect while discussing melee. you don't see me try to argue specific Brawl gameplay mechanics because i don't know what i'm talking about and i'd more than likely be wrong. your reasons for your purported legitimacy in your arguments are also easily dissuaded, as you are saying you have an expansive understanding of the game and fully understand things about the game when you clearly don't.

if i brought up the age-old argument that metaknight's tornado is 100% unbeatable, i would probably sound like a complete idiot because i don't know what i'm talking about. i can feign understanding because i talk to several high level brawl players somewhat regularly and i played the game for a while. i can think that i understand the mechanics behind it and believe in my heart that i am right because of my experience with it, but in the end i'd be wrong.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Jigglypuff is a huge emphasis on that.

Think of the dominance Jiggz could have if she was to plank.

Fortunately, because Melee doesn't force players to be gay. Hbox does well and plays gay. Imagine if he planked.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
hey uh who can i spend the night with before the tournament tommorow?
i think i may.

oh lord.

its been a long week.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ed, would you bring two 2 liters tomorrow?

Kola said he got the buns, lmfao, for real, he said he'll bring the buns. Anyone else bring a 2 liter--Matt- of Mtn Dew please, Im broke--that'd be great.

Im making hamburgers for everybody, Matt, just so you know.

Oh, and I beat George, Zero, and Derp at HBrawl ONE time!

Im pro.

Ragdoll Master.

Dang it, Zero, stop with the blowjobs!
It's all about Spidermans now.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
Doub Post...sorry.

So I found out the reason Kola got banned was to give him time to get "things" squared away.

Lol, <3 Kola, Ill tell you who you need to contact when you come over.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings

Kola said he got the buns, lmfao, for real, he said he'll bring the buns. Anyone else bring a 2 liter--Matt- of Mtn Dew please, Im broke--that'd be great.

Im pro.

Ragdoll Master.

somehow, my 80+GB music drive is working again, im happy nao atm, o.o

matt4300

Smash Ace

Im pro.

Ragdoll Master.

Me, derp, kola, zero, edd?, cheap? other random guys?

Yeah, broseph. Lots of people are coming for Smash. You should come too, broski.

Aniki
bro
brosis
bromotion
brola
bromiscuous
Aniki (兄貴?), a Japanese honorable term for an older brother or a superior (frequently used in yakuza speech)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
So apparently Kirby can chaingrab Yoshi at 140% in Melee. We're changing the metagame over here.

Luigi's down taunt beats tornado.

The back half of Kirby's up smash beats tornado.

Waluigi is broken in HBrawl.

Top Bottom