• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Taste

Smash Apprentice
You two confuse me. Just team your a good lil couple

@QAZ and Dread sorry I didn't say bye today.

GGs everyone. Was fun. Doubles was interesting.

Stutterfoot

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am new here and this thread is huge.

Though I have been playing smash for many years, I have only been to one tournament.

I would like to step up my game, so any resources you can send my way would be great.

I am a melee player, I don't care much for Brawl or the 64 version.

I have recently discovered "Project M", much to my enjoyment!

In melee, I play as Link.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
He's Asian. He has a pretty slick Link as well, though Link is still Link. I told him he should come to the tourney but apparently he has work. Hopefully he keeps showing up to events because he's already pretty decent. Also, my friend Dave also plays Falco in Melee now.. too many goddam birds in the city.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
I would LOVE to team with Simon, I like the way he plays teams

edit: DUde his link rocked me for a bit

Double edit: if anyone DOES end up needing housing in calgary, contact me the moment you find out.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Uhhh, current standards for Melee and Brawl.

Project M I am thinking about, because I'm trying to find a balance between competitive and fun. Ben and I kinda talked today about how I find a decent few of the stages to be bull**** for serious matches, but like, they're cool (IE: Metal Cavern)

So I'll get back to you tomorrow. But expect fairly standard lists for Brawl and Melee, and then I'll kinda ask you guys what you think of what I come upw ith for P:M.

My biggest thought with project M is really I think everybody is just ok with playing standard rules via counterpicks and random first match, I'll only really enforce proper rules if there is a complaint/point made

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Well I was wondering about specifics for melee because recently "standard" isn't so standard. Is there bans? And what about DSR? And button check warmup rule ..lol..

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Warm up everyone pretty much agreed to something like a minute maximum if you even need it.

After hearing Cactuar's reasoning for standard DSR and no bans, it seems pretty reasonable to do. Variance in individual matches, but overall balance in the set.

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Completely agree. 1 min max warmup. No bans and can't cp stage won on. Bo5 for all sets (time permitting..) and maybe a bit more stages :/ and it would be perfect imo.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
More stages for what? The only CP stage left was Kongo since standard DSR was all neutrals + stadium after first game.

I guess for bo3, regular bans ruleset works.

Stutterfoot

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'd just like to mention that I'm not Asian and I think you have me confused with someone else! Ahah. I think I play an alright link though! I actually have only participated in one tourney put on by the Kantonese Student Association at the UofA.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
They don't have you confused with someone else. They're talking about another new guy in Calgary.

Simon is teaming with David.

:phone:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Anthony and I are friends. He'll try to go regularly on Thursdays now that our midterms are over.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Completely agree. 1 min max warmup. No bans and can't cp stage won on. Bo5 for all sets (time permitting..) and maybe a bit more stages :/ and it would be perfect imo.
I'd like to note these won't be the rules lol

definitely best of 3, untill finals, everyone gets one ban in a set, if you don't like to ban, don't, but it's totally reasonable to get one ban.

Warm ups will consist of attempt to warm up before your matches because we are SERIOUSLY crushed for time. You will not be given much grace but we will do our best. If you stall before a match for a reason like you just wanna button check, I will personally kick your ***.

As for stages, personally I'd like to go classic melee, Dave's stupid rule always applies unless opponent agrees... uhh and random first match unless striking is agreed upon... yoshi's, FOD, Pokestad, FD, Dreamland, Battlefield as neutrals, if striking happens you can either agree one isn't neutral (you're striking so you usually already have pokestad off anyways, right?) or just random the last two, whatever. Counterpicks include brinstar, kongo 64, rainbow cruise... I dunno, corneria, mute city etc.

Doubles is basically the same thing but turn off FoD and mute city etc.

Let's see how many people arn't ok with that

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Haha, the classic CP stages. Haven't seen those in a good while.

I was like the only person who ever CP'd to cruise in edmonton lol.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yo dudeee!! I'm glad youre on the boards now ahaha

Is anyone down for some PM tomorrow on campus?

Stevo

Smash Champion
I'll actually be in edmonton tomorrow. I'm busy only part of the day. I might be able to smash

I don't even want to play 2.1 anymore now that 2.5 has been announced and looks awesome

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I got your text saying that it was called off for us?

if we're still making a trip to calgary i'd be down with tagging along with someone for the sat

I'm so hype for 2.5. imb4 physics stacking makes ron **** us all 24/7

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I should really join in on this facebook thing to get better communication lol.

God damit facebook.

FGCC_Hussler

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, for the tournament tomorrow, who is able to bring a wii + games?
I can only supply 2 Wii's (both with Brawl & Melee, but only 1 with P:M), so please let me know if you are able to bring one and if you have P:M on it. We are in demand for systems with access to P:M.
Thanks!

Also, notes:
Please note the following:
- Doors open at 12pm
- Registration for all tournaments closes at 1pm.
- Doubles starts at 1:30pm, and singles will commence IMMEDIATELY after doubles finishes.
- Once the tournament starts there will be stations for casual play ONLY if we are running ahead of schedule or additional stations are not needed
- Please do not be late. If you know you will be late, please make arrangements for someone else to pay your entry fee to insure your spot in the bracket.

(Tentative) Ruleset for P:M:
~ first match must be played on a random neutral stage, but each player gets one ban

Neutral:
Final Destination, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 2, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Yoshi's Story (Melee), Rumble Falls, Dreamland (64)
Singles Only: Fountain of Dreams, Green Hill Zone
Double Only: SSE: Jungle, Dracula's Castle

Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium 1, Hyrule Castle (64)
Singles only: Skyloft, Metal Cavern, WarioWare, Skyworld

Get hype and see you tomorrow!

---

On a personal note, I want to money match Ghil in P:M.
Salty runback and all.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Myself, Clarke and Tyler (new guy) are bring PM Wiis.

Dunno if anyone else is.

Not quite feeling brad having total control over the PM stagelist. I feel like we need a more creative way to choose stages fairly, not someones subjective opinion over which stage is playable in doubles, singles, etc.

Just a thought. I'll play either way.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
how about i bring a wii withp:m and a gamecube+melee+memcard
oh, and as for the MM, ITS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG
i dont like rumble falls for neutral, it favors some chars(i.e. you can drop from the ledge and fly up though middle with some chars)

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
I think were getting all too worried with stage rules ect I'm sure the 2 ppl playing each other will have some easy mutual agreement

Hopefully luke will be able to drive down to calgary; in the case he does which edmontonians are coming down with him?

Rush

Smash Apprentice
They don't have you confused with someone else. They're talking about another new guy in Calgary.

Simon is teaming with David.

Wait what? I thought David teams with Allan. Anyways I'd be willing to team with you Arthur if you don't have a partner, otherwise I'll probably get it figure out on the spot on sat.

I think were getting all too worried with stage rules ect I'm sure the 2 ppl playing each other will have some easy mutual agreement

Except when it's David vs Arthur to Mute City lol.

FGCC_Hussler

Smash Rookie
We'll most likely run the Apex ruleset for Melee and Brawl.

For P:M, the stages aren't as big a deal since there are SO many, lol. I made that stage list based on lists I saw on the P:M forums and from feedback during the ranbat (such as making Hyrule 64 a CP).

If y'all are down, we could just do what we did in the ranbat:
- Open up all viable stages (neutral and CP) in random select, ban 1 each and then let random decide your fate
- Loser chooses the followup stage

---

Leggo Ghil!
I've been training lol.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
(Tentative) Ruleset for P:M:
~ first match must be played on a random neutral stage, but each player gets one ban

Neutral:
Final Destination, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 2, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Yoshi's Story (Melee), Rumble Falls, Dreamland (64)
Singles Only: Fountain of Dreams, Green Hill Zone
Double Only: SSE: Jungle, Dracula's Castle

Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium 1, Hyrule Castle (64)
Singles only: Skyloft, Metal Cavern, WarioWare, Skyworld
Regarding these stages, I'd like to propose rumble falls for CP in singles, and I'd actually like to propose skyloft (the Skyward sword map, not the kid icarus map) as a neutral.

Thoughts anyone?

Not quite feeling brad having total control over the PM stagelist. I feel like we need a more creative way to choose stages fairly, not someones subjective opinion over which stage is playable in doubles, singles, etc.
I should point out, almost nothing I've said has been properly contested, beyond that I am proposing ideas to see what people think, I don't expect you to agree with me, but ultimately I keep saying that everyone should have free reign, I am just the guy who gets to make the call if you have a problem.

Besides, it's not just me, it's me and the club, and there has been discussions, please don't assume bro =P

i dont like rumble falls for neutral, it favors some chars(i.e. you can drop from the ledge and fly up though middle with some chars)
See, I don't mind the flying, ledges>flying characters anyways, but I agree that rumble falls should be CP

We'll most likely run the Apex ruleset for Melee and Brawl.
Regarding Melee and Brawl, Apex rules will probably be what we follow, like they said, except I will note, I prefer randoms over stage striking, I really do, so I want to leave that up to player agreement, as always.

For Bo5 it states there are no bans. Heres the thing, You are allowed a ban, no ifs ands or buts, you are allowed a ban, but it denies dave's stupid rule. If you make a ban, they are allowed to go back to a stage.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
oh and anyone bringing setups, make sure they're preset copies, not edited. This is mostly for Project M, but it has to be the pure copy from the Project M website for 2.1, not the edit for online or anything, as it may affect players

Tyson651

Smash Lord
Wait what? I thought David teams with Allan. Anyways I'd be willing to team with you Arthur if you don't have a partner, otherwise I'll probably get it figure out on the spot on sat.

Except when it's David vs Arthur to Mute City lol.
Allan will be getting to the tourney at 4 due to work so he won't be in doubles.

Taste

Smash Apprentice
Eh what I was basically getting at is what paul said. We can work stuff out as far as stages go on the fly. We're all reasonable adults. Most of us.

Dan, should I bring my Mic? Are you gonna stream?

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Sure bring a mic, it won't hurt I guess. I will bring my stream setup. Hopefully I can actually get decent internet this time..

Top Bottom