• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
you can afford more if i pitch in tho and location has a big impact on attendance as well. I think we could get something bigger than the last tourneys at the uofc. also i think just about everyone had to travel a long way, i think my commute was 1 of the shortest at about an hour.
If you want to do your own thing thats fine tho too because i understand you may want other games
we could have a fund for venue? kinda like an informal venue fee.
I want to have a big tourney with 2 streams and a nice venue and will pay to see it happen
i would help with whatever needed to be done

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Ugh. I need some way of working on my neutral game. How does one go about improving this? I suppose I should just spend more time thinking about my opponent than what options I have instead?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
How to get the first hit or how to avoid the hit.

When to approach, when to back off.

Etc

:phone:

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
your playing falco, the char with the most control over neutral. arent yousupposed to be shutting down their options with lazers to corner them at the ledge then just get above them and out-priotitze them with your down air. your problem is probably not with neutral but getting baited into commiting with an offensive move. basically they only have a couple options when there is a lazer coming towards them.
i dont know much about falco but ultimately smash bros is just king of the hill. when you are in the middle your opponents have to retake centre stage so they can react to you trying to take centre.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
lol more like sat outside my range and poked with bairs till i run in. planking with jiggs in teams doesnt work lol

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
try playing falco without using lasers, that will teach you very quickly lol
That's what I did for a while lol, as well as the PP CPU training stuff where you set a CPU to like lv 6-7 and then dash dance just outside their range and punish them when they throw out a move

Also like practicing laser to DD d-air, laser to DD grab, laser to DD dash attack, etc

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I've been trying to play falcon lol. Jack just shuts everything I do down ;-;.

My OoS game is full of **** too.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I wish i had recorded the day where moe came over, played fox 1st game and 4stocked my Ic's by waveshines off the level then i switched to jiggs and got 4 uthrow rests on his fox. I have been playing falcon as advised by you brad by myself but i get wrecked anytime i dont play ice climbers. just about every high tier char has someone that plays that char alot better than me. I just enjoy playing the game with people too much, especially when there is a crowd (with requests). Sometimes i know the other person is waiting for me to rush in and punish and i go in dsmash ablazin
I just need to stop doing the same things and maybe order some new controllers, i switched to the newer 1 i have been lending out because my ltrigger spring is worn, go into shield from a wd.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
why do you think my play style would be fitting, its very hard to play samus and i dont like playing her. that being said i have played her 20+hours and overall not feelin it.
what is my playstyle anyways? i always feel slower than everyone else and am pretty inconsistant week to week on what i am trying to do. i feel like i get kills off of gimmicks but i cant seem to keep my mouth shut about them.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
why do you think my play style would be fitting, its very hard to play samus and i dont like playing her. that being said i have played her 20+hours and overall not feelin it.
what is my playstyle anyways? i always feel slower than everyone else and am pretty inconsistant week to week on what i am trying to do. i feel like i get kills off of gimmicks but i cant seem to keep my mouth shut about them.
Cause I think your biggest problem is not being unpredictable. Every single time I aerial your shield, I know you are going to grab, even if the grab will be way too far to reach. Like, Every, Single, Time.

But with Samus you don't need to mix stuff up as much, and she's not actually that hard to play

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I wonder where i got that habit arthur? maybe you meesing up lcancels on my shield for like 3months while i was starting.also i dont think you know much about playing samus competitively, ill take allen's word and the fact that there are less samus players with lower standings than most other chars near her in the tier list. i actually have been trying to incorperate other Oos options but its really hard to change a habit that was reinforced by my training partner and the general calgary community for soo long. also the last couple times i have played you i just dashed around and killed myself on purpose to end the match.
i do have a developmental disorder characterized by REPETITIVE and RESTRICTIVE habits and interests

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I wonder where i got that habit arthur? maybe you meesing up lcancels on my shield for like 3months while i was starting.also i dont think you know much about playing samus competitively, ill take allen's word and the fact that there are less samus players with lower standings than most other chars near her in the tier list. i actually have been trying to incorperate other Oos options but its really hard to change a habit that was reinforced by my training partner and the general calgary community for soo long. also the last couple times i have played you i just dashed around and killed myself on purpose to end the match.
i do have a developmental disorder characterized by REPETITIVE and RESTRICTIVE habits and interests
Yeah it was probably because nobody knew how to play against IC's back then, but the thing is, people learn. 3 months later it was still the same habit and it got super predictable and didn't work well.
The reason why I'm suggesting Samus is that you seem to have fast enough reflexes for stuff like spot dodge, seeing as how you can d-smash people's recovery quite well with IC's, but it would probably be much easier for you since you don't need to mix up your approaches as much as Falco does, or your DD grabs as much as Marth does, and you can afford to do stuff over and over again like spot dodge, f-tilts and up B OoS.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
clarke, stop being so defensive. arthur is just giving you tips, and you and everyone knows its not his fault for you playing with him (if that is even a legit excuse for you to blame him not l cancelling properly).

i think you should just focus on having fun moreover improving. when you have fun, you will get better. (i play for purely fun)

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I apprieciate the tips arthur and everyone is giving me.enjoying playing p:m but everyone wants me to play friendlies with my ics. i obviously have some self-esteem problems and i actually really enjoy seeing everyone and hanging out. I dont have any delusions about how good my ice climbers are, i just am getting frustrated with myself when i cant just break habits and then i see others improving and cant help but compare, hell matt is already better than i am and has much better mindset. this doesnt just apply to video games. god damn it i ***** about this stuff everyweek , someone please stop me next time and remind me it has been discussed, im sorry to have wasted your time. actually i do know how much matt has played in the past, i gave him his 1st lessons in competitive smash. its not that im not learning, the problem is that i dont apply what i have learned when in a state of arousal.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
you don't know how much matt has played in the past, as well as people learn at different paces.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
im gonna try to see the hobbit on saturday, ill probably be able to host on thursday or friday
final exam date party, mine is on the 10th.

Quaff

Smash Rookie
Quick smash question. Whenever I go for the tomahawk, I always end up light shielding instead of grabbing. I do use Z to grab in this situation. Do I just need to waiting a second longer, or waveland straight down instead?

Also, Moe, what's your number?

Rush

Smash Apprentice
Empty hop grab

EDIT: Likely that your mistiming, and lightshield only comes if you hold down Z, which obviously you shouldn't do if you want to grab.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
You have landing lag when you touch the ground so you will have to wait a little.

:phone:

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
you can afford more if i pitch in tho and location has a big impact on attendance as well. I think we could get something bigger than the last tourneys at the uofc. also i think just about everyone had to travel a long way, i think my commute was 1 of the shortest at about an hour.
If you want to do your own thing thats fine tho too because i understand you may want other games
we could have a fund for venue? kinda like an informal venue fee.
I want to have a big tourney with 2 streams and a nice venue and will pay to see it happen
i would help with whatever needed to be done
We'll make it happen. Let school finish and we'll talk.

Quick smash question. Whenever I go for the tomahawk, I always end up light shielding instead of grabbing. I do use Z to grab in this situation. Do I just need to waiting a second longer, or waveland straight down instead?
I feel like theres too much focus on what you're trying to do. Might just be me. timing wise It'd be too early, and if you're falco you'd be better off jabbing to grab it's safer, and if you're marth I don't really know why you'd just do this in general, but if it is necessary you might as well play with the timing outside of real matches it should be easy, but wavelanding beforehand would make it easier. But yeah empty hop grab isn't exactly anything but a mindgame, so don't focus too much on it. Mindgames don't work when they're not built specifically for an opponent.

This is where people try to get me all the time, mindgames they have practiced *cough* arthur*cough* just don't get me. I just see what you're doing. If I'm trying my own preset **** sure, but I'm not. Anything set in stone of what you're doing DOES NOT work.

one day I want to see a Bowser do an empty hop grab
He can do it amazingly in brawl. (don't know why you wouldn't just side-b cancel into something better though)

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
i just screw up di so badly its hella mindgames. oh you kneed me? ill just smash DI behind you leaving you with a puzzled look and me 1 stock down!
also empty hop grab is not mindgames, its a mixup. if you have conditioned your opponent to shield your aerials you can approach with a shff and grab out of it but it could probably only be used like 1-2 a game. sh counter would be good if your opponent thinks your going to tomahawk and wants to punish it. I think matt should use ftilt more to edge guard and stop approaches, that thing never gets punished(not really)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah... Something is a mindgame only if it succeeds in tricking your opponent, otherwise it's not a mindgame. Meaning everything can be a mindgame.

Top Bottom