• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I am suprised that everyone (ie; a couple of people) thinks that I should apply for P:M BR. I mean, I only really set up hacks for people, not code them.

Edit: I would apply if I could find the form.

Dr. Ike

Smash Cadet
I just realized that with access to Victors account I can access the coding to recreate Kithkin even though he doesn't have direct power to, all because of Carl's signature

Considering we have a team of some of the most capable smash moders ever assembled, if we could do something like that we already would have.
Thats the point, you should be able to, UNLESS...

Uh... yes it does, we ripped the Melee character files and took their exact physics and ported them over (copied and pasted) and they feel exactly the same except it may feel still slightly off to some because of landing detection. But aside from that, it's the cold, hard, exact values Melee had.
Oh so basically you didn't do any work except rewrite new character files, which begs me to ask my question again, if you can write Lucario into melee, why can't you write say... Cloud from final fantasy in? All you need is a decent modeller who I'm SURE is very much in your guys range of connections, all you need to do is borrow more pieces, admitting to not being able to is admitting that you guys know nothing about what you're doing from the core, you only know to copy from what you've seen. Which is not what I'm accusing you of, by the way, I'm just asking at what point you decided that you wern't going to.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I just realized that with access to Victors account I can access the coding to recreate Kithkin even though he doesn't have direct power to, all because of Carl's signature

Thats the point, you should be able to, UNLESS...

Oh so basically you didn't do any work except rewrite new character files, which begs me to ask my question again, if you can write Lucario into melee, why can't you write say... Cloud from final fantasy in? All you need is a decent modeller who I'm SURE is very much in your guys range of connections, all you need to do is borrow more pieces, admitting to not being able to is admitting that you guys know nothing about what you're doing from the core, you only know to copy from what you've seen. Which is not what I'm accusing you of, by the way, I'm just asking at what point you decided that you wern't going to.
Dr. Ike, with all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The PMBR as a whole has put several thousand hours into this project, and while we did copy physics values and some hitbox DMG / KB data from Melee, there's a lot more to the project than just that.

As for editing Melee, we have a primitive, cumbersome way of hexing in KB / DMG changes and recompiling the ISO. We haven't put Lucario in and I have no idea where you heard this.

We don't understand how the model system works in Melee. We don't have Melee animations cracked. We don't have Melee actions cracked... let alone easily modable.

Regarding Stevo's idea of balance through imbalance, I think he's getting the idea of balance and character strengths confused. Every character can have a powerful, superlative ability like the Knee, Shine, Whornado, etc, and still be balanced.

These unique, potent strengths make the characters interesting, and create diverse matchups. The point isn't to get every fight to a 50:50 matchup, it's just to make sure that overall a character doesn't have too many unfavorable matchups, or any hard (80:20 or worse) counters.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Regarding Stevo's idea of balance through imbalance, I think he's getting the idea of balance and character strengths confused. Every character can have a powerful, superlative ability like the Knee, Shine, Whornado, etc, and still be balanced.

These unique, potent strengths make the characters interesting, and create diverse matchups. The point isn't to get every fight to a 50:50 matchup, it's just to make sure that overall a character doesn't have too many unfavorable matchups, or any hard (80:20 or worse) counters.
well I guess it depends what sort of balance you are talking about. I agree you can have a "knee" attack and still be balanced, but that doesn't make the knee a "balanced" move. I guess if you want to use the term "character strength" and weaknesses, you can. But the knee itself isnt a "character strength", it's an imbalanced move that GIVES a character strength, ie a great kill move. The point im making is YES, Peach's down-smash is annoying and good, but it gave her an edge that was necessary. Taking it out in brawl, along with MANY other "strengths" was a BIG mistake by nintendo (although they dont see it as a mistake since they are not making the game for competitiveness).

Project : M ( P:M, P: M, Project : Melee) isn't doing this mistake as far as I can see.

I guess in the end, my use of the term "balance" was simply to try and spark some different points of view on the topic.

Also, Carl said fighters shouldn't be balanced, and I wanted to take it a step further and say they should be IMbalanced. Melee isnt balanced because someone went and "balanced" the game. It's balanced because it was accidentally balanced by imbalance.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Sure. I guess another way of phrasing this is that a character needn't have perfect internal balance within its moves, but it should have decent external balance among its matchups.

Stevo

Smash Champion
yes
but I'm not sure its feasible to get all characters to have (completely) balanced match ups.

however, improvement on melee's balance is possible, albeit difficult with the addition of "new" characters.

I think P:M needs to take a stance right now and say there will be NO characters added, or at least just say, only so and so will be in (like, Mewtwo and Roy, for example). Even if in the future the game is really popular for a couple years and it is decided to re visit the game and add some characters, I think the average smash fan/smashboards poster/Troll should be told there will be no additions.

but that is just my opinion

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Buff MK's Tornado and make DDD's chaingrab work on everyone and I'll be a happy camper, except not really.

=D

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Megaman and bomber man would be cool in super smash bro brawling

Notice to anyone playing blaze. I am going to be hosting a tournament at my place again and recording it so i can show the whole world how terrible we are.

There will be no venue fee, only if you plan to have pizza =D

Jamie bring you and your bro, I really want to see how much better you guys have gotten. Plus you guys will be in for a BIG suprise when you see how.... decent my tao is now =-p

starcrafr 2 players

Chill Sinatra, Lagluva and a few other super good sc2 players will be attending the sc2 lan tournament this saturday so if your big into this game please make an effort to come out

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
omg speaking of mike

i know a way to punish jigg's rest legitly with peach. i wanna test it out against a human to see if it works possibly lol

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think I'm gonna pick up Marth as a main or secondary in Melee. Vic can vouche for me but at Steve's place I pulled off some awesome pwnage edgeguarding ending with a spike, only to forget to ledge hop to the ledge after the DAir. I kinda zoned out during that all... It was an awesome feeling.

Also, he's fun. lmao If our Melee scene gets bigger again I wouldn't mind turning heads. He's easier when it comes to tech skill.

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
so theres this video game club at the uofc , me allan and arthur pretty much made everyone quit playing brawl and melee LOLOLLLOLOL

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
olololololo raaaaape

allan's a brawl champion. what do you expect

edit: i am sitting across from some one who looks like a 20 year old version of jarrett, with the same appearance and mannerisms.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
so theres this video game club at the uofc , me allan and arthur pretty much made everyone quit playing brawl and melee LOLOLLLOLOL
Aww, the UofC tournaments are like 80% of Calgary's Brawl scene. If they don't host because they're getting owned, Calgary will be even more dead. D=
I hope you're happy, lol.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
getting help in a lab is for white people

what lab do you guys have together?

smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaashhh

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Labs are so confusing. The directions are ****ty, and the TA is terrible at answering questions. I spend 2 of the 3 hours going wtf, then the last hour I finally understand everything and beast through it. Only had 2 labs so far (physics), but that's how it went both times.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
what physics are you taking and what time lol i wonder if you're taking it with scott

yeah I know what you mean. My chem lab first semester last year was this metrohomosexual asian guy who had broken english AND lisp

it was hilarious but confusing as eff.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
nope guess not.

AND OHSNAPPP STEVO!!! lol thats so cool. I feel bad for Carl and Dan. They **** but they're stuck in alberta with a bunch of people who do the opposite of ****.

Dragonz7

Smash Apprentice
K I honestly don't see you Luke lmao.
Where is this at -.-

lol we're gonna **** engg labs Vincent :D

So this speaker in engg 100 was talking about first year engineering club and how people sometimes play smash bros in there??? :l

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh yeah! engg130 labs are blast. My favorite for the first term.

lololo honestly, carl's the only person who would know. David and I are planning on playing them sometime! anyone else who's interested should too!

Top Bottom