• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All smashers, please fill this form out, for Gamecube controllers for smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Can we please move away from the GCN controller and proceed the incredible Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro Controller. These two are far better built and frankly, Smash 4 will be designed around these two control set ups. Smash 4 will likely NOT be using the analog triggers that's on the GCN controllers, so it's going to be the WORST control set up if that is the case (in which, it isn't- you cannot officially connect the GCN controller to Wii U and nor is it programmed to the console).

Ya'll can buy the Mayflash Adapter and see what I mean. It isn't ideal. It's emulating the CCPro and because of that, those analog triggers are useless.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Just get used to this...
My ****ing god...
We're going to have people whining 20 years in the future about the newest system not having GC controller compatibility.
The fact that you cannot adapt to change is the reason people hate everything that they are uncomfortable with (ie anything other than Melee with a GC controller)

Someone seriously asked if there was a way to connect the GC to a 3DS to play Smash on...

This is ridiculous

Hey the c stick is closer to the jump button! I can dacus with c stick and zr! Hmm more buttons=better opportunity for faster imput speed. I am okay with this controller. I will just have to practise a bit with this.

Can we please move away from the GCN controller and proceed the incredible Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro Controller. These two are far better built and frankly, Smash 4 will be designed around these two control set ups. Smash 4 will likely NOT be using the analog triggers that's on the GCN controllers, so it's going to be the WORST control set up if that is the case (in which, it isn't- you cannot officially connect the GCN controller to Wii U and nor is it programmed to the console).

Ya'll can buy the Mayflash Adapter and see what I mean. It isn't ideal. It's emulating the CCPro and because of that, those analog triggers are useless.
What do you mean by analog triggers? Do you mean c stick? Then no, smash wii u pro controller will mostly use the right analog stick to replace the c stick. And the adapter for the gcn controller registers as a classic controller I think?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey the c stick is closer to the jump button! I can dacus with c stick and zr! Hmm more buttons=better opportunity for faster imput speed. I am okay with this controller. I will just have to practise a bit with this.
Given the 3DS version, I get the feeling DACUS and any other C-Stick exploits may no longer exist.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Given the 3DS version, I get the feeling DACUS and any other C-Stick exploits may no longer exist.
Was dacus really an exploit? they should of never gave dash attack iasa frames to be canceled into an up smash or grab.

And besides sliding along the ground with snakes dacus and shieks dacus is sooo much fun!

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings

It's not as big of a leap as it was from GC to the Wiimote/Nunchuck.
I've used mine for Windwaker HD.
It took a bit to get completely comfortable with it like I was when I played it for GC, but once I got comfortable with it I really enjoyed it.

It's not like everyone jumped from the N64 controller to the GC controller and played flawlessly.
It took time to master the controller to get to where you are today.
Wii U Pro is a fantastic controller, and it should take no time to get used to it.

I am not a tournament player so I don't speak for you guys, but I can assume you're not all just going to jump right into a huge tournament as soon as 4 comes out. You'll take the time to get comfortable with it, unlock everything, and find your favourite character. And then jump into a tournament.

And using a different controller helps to separate the games.
If you're using a GC controller you'll already have the feel of Melee burned into your memory. So you'll want to start doing things in Melee which you cannot do in the new Smash. That happened with me and Brawl. I hated the GC controller for it so got used to the Wiimote/nunchuck.

Different controllers help separate the games. If you always use the same controller, you're always going to want to play the same way. How can you grow and adapt with a new game when you're constantly thinking about the past?

Isn't the whole point of Smash Bros to adapt to changes around you and find a way to overcome it?

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Get out. We dont need no logic round these parts. Out with the new, in with the old [hops in old-time crank-up car]

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
controller explaination (my pov):

NES
SNES=NES+buttons
N64= SNES+3 prongs+buttons (remove the prongs and it loks like a SNES controller with analog+buttons)
GC= completely new button layout and shell tailored to smash iirc
wii= sideways NES+buttons / attachments that made it more like snes+buttons
wii u (gamepad and wii u pro): SNES layout + triggers+analogs+new shell (same layout with a different feel)

tldr version: GC is actually the oddball and is the controller that is most inconsistent.
GCN was the first two analogue stick controller, and was designed around it. not designed like the snes buttons with bumpers and sticks added on.
Let people have their preference, especially when said people have been playing gcn and some wii games with the same controller for 10+ years, something that's usually unheard of on a nintendo console.
I will use the pro controller regardless, but i would buy a gcn pro controller and i can see why people prefer the old layout. I don't get why so many people are against people wanting to play a series that they have played for the longest time with the same controller, it's not like the new smash wouldn't fit with the old control scheme.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
This thread isnt about discussion my god... if you want gamecube controller support, sign the petition, if you dont, what are you doing here? what are you looking to achieve? Are you gonna force your will upon the people who do want this to happen? Are you gonna tell them they "live in the past" and cant move on? I am sorry but you guys are absolutely wasting your time. There are people who do want this to happen, it is NOT your business, and it MUSNT bother you. GROW UP!

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
This thread isnt about discussion my god... if you want gamecube controller support, sign the petition, if you dont, what are you doing here? what are you looking to achieve? Are you gonna force your will upon the people who do want this to happen? Are you gonna tell them they "live in the past" and cant move on? I am sorry but you guys are absolutely wasting your time. There are people who do want this to happen, it is NOT your business, and it MUSNT bother you. GROW UP!
Yes, there shall not be a Wii U GC controller because I will it so!

JK :p, In truth though it seems silly to keep reviving an old controller. It was a cool feature in Brawl (to use a gamecube controller), but I don't see why it's special enough to port over. If anything, Nintendo should just make an official adapter for it (because realistically a Wii U GC controller would have such a small consumer group tied to it).

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658

JK :p, In truth though it seems silly to keep reviving an old controller. It was a cool feature in Brawl (to use a gamecube controller), but I don't see why it's special enough to port over. If anything, Nintendo should just make an official adapter for it (because realistically a Wii U GC controller would have such a small consumer group tied to it).
i'm pretty sure an adapter would be perfect, why didn't i think of that?
they'd need to start making gcn remotes again like they did for the wii, though

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
i'm pretty sure an adapter would be perfect, why didn't i think of that?
they'd need to start making gcn remotes again like they did for the wii, though
I don't know man, you must be lagging behind :troll:.

Now every copy of Smash 4 will include a GC adaptor, even the 3DS version :awesome:.

It'll work as long as everyone's old GC controller doesn't turn to dust while using it :troll:.

Less

Smash Cadet
If you can't play Smash with this then you seriously have a problem
I dunno...I do own a Wii U Pro Controller and have played with it quite a bit. For me the main issue is that, unlike most people, I don't like / use the C-stick. On the Gamecube controller I used A for everything that involved the button. Although A is reachable and easily usable here I often end up accidentally hitting the right control stick which will probably be the C-stick in Smash 4. I just think that the right control stick gets in the way too much is my only complaint about the controller. And I know you're probably just thinking "Well then you're going to have to adapt and use the C-stick in Smash 4" and I'm aware, I just don't want to. I liked the way using A has felt for the last 12 years and it's just going to be frustrating leaving it.

ONLY COMPLAINT, CONTROLLER IS FINE OTHERWISE

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice

Well i havent shared my opinion, because, unlike most people, i realise that this isnt the right place to do so. Guy posts this petition so people who want to sign could do so, im sure he didnt want this to be a place where a bunch of people who greatly disagree with him could post their irrelevant nonsense. like "Ha! Wii Remote all the way!" or "Melee was 13 years ago. Just let it go.". You guys do realise how disrespectful you are (and how stupid you sound)? If thats how your gonna treat the intentions of the thread creator we might aswell shut this thing down right now.

D

Deleted member

Ha! Wiimote all the way!
Prepare for a horde of tourney tards to trample you...

Personally, I think that anything but Wii remote would work with me. A Gamecube-style controller would be nice, but come on guys, we have adapters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
not completely true, recently Nintendo didn't allow smash to be in a particular stream, the uproar that happened over it; Nintendo changed their tune rather quickly.
That wasn't a petition or campaign though.

That was everyone going against them like when Microsoft introduced DRM. As in, suddenly everyone hated Nintendo.

Regardless...

Guys... Just move on to the next controller. Not that hard.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
GCN was the first two analogue stick controller, and was designed around it. not designed like the snes buttons with bumpers and sticks added on.
That's pretty much what I said...

Let people have their preference, especially when said people have been playing gcn and some wii games with the same controller for 10+ years, something that's usually unheard of on a nintendo console.
On any console. Other people move on or adapt.

I will use the pro controller regardless, but i would buy a gcn pro controller and i can see why people prefer the old layout. I don't get why so many people are against people wanting to play a series that they have played for the longest time with the same controller, it's not like the new smash wouldn't fit with the old control scheme.
It's the mentality that they have that's the issue, not necessarily the request itself. People get tired of others complaining (often unreasonably) about the same thing for years. GC controller are starting to break and fall apart, but instead of asking for for new wired controllers it's "GC/melee this and that" all day. It gets a little annoying when people continually ask for the same old things just because it's what they're used to when there may be better options; they dont even entertain the idea of new things. They end up sounding like those old, gray-haired sub-urban men you see in films: "That chipped and rusty kitchen knife has worked for years, aint nothing wrong with it. I don't need a new one. It just needs a little spit shine."

This thread isnt about discussion my god.
You can always ask a mod if you dont like people expressing ideas on a public forum where the TC didnt specify whether or not discussion was allowed

if you want gamecube controller support, sign the petition, if you dont, what are you doing here? what are you looking to achieve? Are you gonna force your will upon the people who do want this to happen? Are you gonna tell them they "live in the past" and cant move on? I am sorry but you guys are absolutely wasting your time. There are people who do want this to happen, it is NOT your business, and it MUSNT bother you. GROW UP!
Dude, no need to blow a gasket. Everyone's been pretty chill. Like you said, people who want to sign are going to sign, so what's the harm in enjoying a conversation? Many people dont find conversation to be a waste. And again it's a public forum, so it's techinically the business of whomever wants to be involved... Fortunately most, if not everyone here is being pretty nice, so I doubt they're legit bothered by a petition, regardless of how many there are atm. Not quite sure how having a chill convo means everyone needs to grow up, but hey I'm just a random, anonymous poster. What do I know?

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
If someone could just move that Right Control Stick under the Buttons on the WiiUCP then that would make playing the game much more comfortable for me.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
That's pretty much what I said...
I said it was the only one designed with control sticks in mind, as in it's the only one that takes in mind where the control sticks should go most comfortably, pro controller just slapped them on top.
On any console. Other people move on or adapt.
lol, xbox and playstation consoles have barely changed their controllers over the years, and last i checked, nobody was complaining.
It's the mentality that they have that's the issue, not necessarily the request itself. People get tired of others complaining (often unreasonably) about the same thing for years. GC controller are starting to break and fall apart, but instead of asking for for new wired controllers it's "GC/melee this and that" all day. It gets a little annoying when people continually ask for the same old things just because it's what they're used to when there may be better options; they dont even entertain the idea of new things. They end up sounding like those old, gray-haired sub-urban men you see in films: "That chipped and rusty kitchen knife has worked for years, aint nothing wrong with it. I don't need a new one. It just needs a little spit shine."
They're still producing and shipping new gcn remotes, i got 2 brand new ones for christmas, and i'm certain they're not "falling apart" or "broken". It's not a rusty old knife, it's a prestine knife of an older model.
There's nothing wrong with either change or lack of change, this isn't an update to the remote, it's a completely different style of remote that people may not prefer, like a school lunch suddenly one day serving strawberries instead of grapes. Some people want the grapes, but does that make it right for the people who like the strawberries telling them to "adapt" to the new lunches?
People wanting the old gamecube remote aren't hurting you in any way. you could've just ignored this thread entirely, but for some reason the concept of using the gcn model of remote offends you so much that you had to post here.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
Some people just want some consistency, which was granted in the gcn remote. Every other console has kept the same basic control design, adding a few buttons here and there, and the gcn remote is the closest thing that nintendo has.
How is it okay that other console owners can stick to similar controllers with small optimizations here and there and nintendo fans need to "adapt" every new console generation?
This.
1000x this.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
The year is 2034.
Smash 7 is in development.
"I REALLY HOPE NINTENDO MAKES A GAMECUBE CONTROLLER FOR THE ZII UU SO I CAN PLAY SMASH"

No one complained about having a N64 controller for the Gamecube to play Melee.

Also let's not abuse change.org for something like this...
It's meant for more important things.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
But I like hearing people forcing their will on me or providing arguments. It challenges the idea and see if it is really worthy.

And it is more funner I learned about the history of controllers!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well i havent shared my opinion, because, unlike most people, i realise that this isnt the right place to do so. Guy posts this petition so people who want to sign could do so, im sure he didnt want this to be a place where a bunch of people who greatly disagree with him could post their irrelevant nonsense. like "Ha! Wii Remote all the way!" or "Melee was 13 years ago. Just let it go.". You guys do realise how disrespectful you are (and how stupid you sound)? If thats how your gonna treat the intentions of the thread creator we might aswell shut this thing down right now.
Threads are meant for discussions, and this has been one of many threads showcasing one of many (failed) attempts to petition the controller. Some people are being rude, but most who said they prefer a different setup were respectfully stating their opinions. A lot of people are tired of Melee enthusiasts shoving Melee down their throats left and right when we are excited to see what smash 4 can do that is new and (god forbid) may be better than Melee. Yes Melee was a good game, but must it be the focus smash 4's development? So it goes both ways. Yes some were rude and hyperbolic about how wanting the gamecube controller is stupid, but so is complaining smash 4 is unplayable without such controller. Since I personally dislike the Gamecube controller, but I know people who do prefer it, this topic barely affects me in any way. Good luck with the petition.

nessokman

Smash Lord
You people need to stop living in the past an move the hell on. I'm do tired of these idiotic topics saying "BOO HOO I can't handle change!Give me more of the same!"

This is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen, melee is 13 years ago, congrats on keeping it alive! Let it die so future games can get this kind of enjoyment.

People not accepting change is the reason Brawl has such a tiny tourney scene.It isn't that it's not competitive,it's because these meleetards couldn't accept the change. Because such a large portion of the community was stuck in the past, it held brawl back. Brawl could have an amazing tourney scene if people weren't so melee crazed.

Going even to the level of modding brawl to make it a melee clone? Pathetic! It saddens me people are that desperate to hold on to the old ways.

This thread might as well be locked. I've already seen at least three of these threads already, and each and every petition fails.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I agree with most people in here and don't really see a point with this. The WiiU pro is an excelent controller and its hardly that big of a deal to addapt to from a gc-controller. But all that has been said before in here, I was just wondering:
Didnt we have a thread just like this one a while back?

MechaWave

Smash Champion
What do you mean by analog triggers? Do you mean c stick? Then no, smash wii u pro controller will mostly use the right analog stick to replace the c stick. And the adapter for the gcn controller registers as a classic controller I think?
The GCN controller has L and R. When you press them, a developer can make an option to make use of a light pressure and a hard pressure when you press them. This way, the L and R buttons on the GameCube controller can act as two buttons in one, without the use of L1/L2 and R1/R2. Melee makes use of this as well as many other games.

Melee was 13 years ago. Just let it go.
This has nothing to do with Melee.

nessokman

Smash Lord
it has everything to do with melee. People's inabilities to move on and adapt to new controllers resulted
In people making this petition to get back what they are used to, from melee.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
it has everything to do with melee. People's inabilities to move on and adapt to new controllers resulted
In people making this petition to get back what they are used to, from melee.
No, it doesn't. Melee is not the only game in the world that utilizes the GCN controller. Brawl did as well, and Brawl plays nothing like Melee (wavedashing, L-canceling, etc.) aside from the obvious Smash fundamentals.

It does have to do with people not adapting to change, but it's not exclusively a fault of Melee.

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
If you want to play Melee with a Gamecube controller: get out your Gamecube, pop Melee in, plug in a Gamecube controller, play Melee, and then be happy.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
But you know, this inspired me. We need a N64-like controller for the Wii-U! Just look how well it did for Smash 64!

But to be serious for a second, how 'bout all the people switching to the 3DS? No GameCube controller for that.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
You people need to stop living in the past an move the hell on. I'm do tired of these idiotic topics saying "BOO HOO I can't handle change!Give me more of the same!"

This is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen, melee is 13 years ago, congrats on keeping it alive! Let it die so future games can get this kind of enjoyment.

People not accepting change is the reason Brawl has such a tiny tourney scene.It isn't that it's not competitive,it's because these meleetards couldn't accept the change. Because such a large portion of the community was stuck in the past, it held brawl back. Brawl could have an amazing tourney scene if people weren't so melee crazed.

Going even to the level of modding brawl to make it a melee clone? Pathetic! It saddens me people are that desperate to hold on to the old ways.

This thread might as well be locked. I've already seen at least three of these threads already, and each and every petition fails.
No brawl was never gonna have a large tourney scene due to having a low tech skill and many other gameplay reasons. People who played street fighters and watched someone play melee were amazed at how much skill was being used(particular fox) but when they see brawl it is a slow, celebral game with a lack of hit stun which is bad for the pros and casuals( casuals liked that in melee they could do cool combos to each other.)

I am glad smash 4 will be faster than brawl and a bit slower than melee combining tech skill and celebral play. Now we need to forgot about brawl and hope that smash 4 will be great

The GCN controller has L and R. When you press them, a developer can make an option to make use of a light pressure and a hard pressure when you press them. This way, the L and R buttons on the GameCube controller can act as two buttons in one, without the use of L1/L2 and R1/R2. Melee makes use of this as well as many other games.

ok so is light shielding deconfirmed? I mean you can't add pressure.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Other fighting game communities are obsessed with fight sticks, as many people originally played fighting games in the arcade, so I can see how wanting to use a gamecube controller like we have been using for the past 12 years may seem like a necessity.
I don't see the point of bugging nintendo to make an official controller though, especially when there already exists a gamecube controller compatible with the wii u that you can order online.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
I signed just for the sake of it but the Wii U Pro Controller is a nice controller. I'm actually looking forward to play Smash 4 with it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Other fighting game communities are obsessed with fight sticks, as many people originally played fighting games in the arcade, so I can see how wanting to use a gamecube controller like we have been using for the past 12 years may seem like a necessity.
I don't see the point of bugging nintendo to make an official controller though, especially when there already exists a gamecube controller compatible with the wii u that you can order online.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG
Here's the thing, I don't mind people wanting a GameCube controller. What I do mind is people claiming that this controller is the only good Controller. Like I said, what about the people who playing the 3DS version? Who cant use a controller, other than the system itself. Or will people want a adapter for that too?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Here's the thing, I don't mind people wanting a GameCube controller. What I do mind is people claiming that this controller is the only good Controller. Like I said, what about the people who playing the 3DS version? Who cant use a controller, other than the system itself. Or will people want a adapter for that too?
XD I guess if 3DS smash ever becomes seriously competitive we may end up seeing a gc controller attachment for the 3DS.

EDIT:3DS smash will only be a novelty. Just finally being able to carry smash around and play it everywhere is a dream come true, but for serious play people are gonna use a Wii U.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Here's the thing.
Gamecube controllers are incredibly ergonomic. Also dose analogue L&R buttons.
We need a base wired controller setup for tournaments and the like.
The Gamecube controller is in high demand, and other companies have already made adapters to use the classic controller input.

Nintendo has nothing to lose by it and a lot to gain, so get off our backs and stop accusing us of whining.
Don't pretend to know our reasons, and don't make such disrespectful assumptions about us.
Jerks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom