• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All smashers, please fill this form out, for Gamecube controllers for smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Try getting into competitive Smash, then you will find out rather easily and fast.
I knew it, back in my day we only had 150 Pokemon, and we prayed, oh did we pray for more! And we rejoiced, oh Mim did we rejoice when Gold and Silver came out. We thought it couldn't get any better. Now people complain when we don't get 20,000 Pokemon in one gen. Kids there days, spoiled rotten to the core is what I say!
Note: I know who Mew2King is, I'm just being funny. I hope...

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
-Adding buttons=/= cosmetic. Playstation and Xbox remotes have been adding extra buttons pretty much for every controller, are those just "cosmetic" changes?
-Controllers =/= computers, the playstation and xbox consoles have barely changed their remotes, but for some reason it's fine for Nintendo to rehaul them every new generation.
-Well, people would want that supposed controller if it existed, But it doesn't and until then, people will be using their gcn remotes. There's no "can't get better" mentality here that you aren't imagining. Opinions are subject to change, if you haven't noticed.
-It's not a "luxury item", it's a way to play the game that has been used for 10+ years, and the only reason the controller was discontinued is because the Wii U doesn't support gcn ports, hence why it was selling up to the Wii U's launch.

Like i said before, if you're against signing the petition, Just leave. This thread was supposed to be about the petition, and not about People whining about other people wanting a new gcn style remote.

Check M2k's profile, he posted the thread in just about every forum. This is the only one that exploded over it, so @ E Eternal phoenix Fire Is right.
  • Dude, they added one button (a button that was on 3rd party gc controller might I add). So the "almost" cosmetic part is pretty valid.
  • Never said they were. I was giving an example of how things can change for the better without being a simple "just add a button" thing. And again, it's the shell that changes most, not the button layout.
  • You're right. It doesnt. So why not ask for it to be made instead of the same controller? And how is not even wanting a possibly better controller in favor of the same model with a new paint job because gc controller are "the best" and "there's no need to change" not a "cant get better" mentality or a "gray haired suburban man from an old film" mentality?
  • Videogames and controller and systems are considered luxury items; price is not the only factor. And Selling=/=selling well.
  • Like I said before, some people enjoy conversations on public forums (I'm one of them) so they really have no reason to leave. The thread fullfilled the purpose of spreading info on the petition in the very first post, so by all mean you're also welcome to leave if the current direction of the thread doesnt fit your taste. I'd rather you didnt though.
  • I'm pretty sure M2K isnt the only one to make a forum/post like that. In fact I'm 100% positive since I've been to some. Feel free to check those near-countless ones out there and see how they go. I guarantee they're not all filled with people saying "gee golly, it's nice to have everyone agree on the subject"
I suppose I overestimate the GC controller as an asset, and be sure that my comments about the judgement of our intentions are not directed at those who do not hold those judgements on our intentions.
If a better controller comes along that shares the important qualities outlines above, I will support it, but until then I will express my desire for a wired and well-designed controller. Perhaps they will be prompted to make it better?
Fair enough dude. I know I want a wired controller as well. I just want a legit upgrade that will not only make the gaming experience better, but will also help the wii u keep it's identity and be marketable. Fight sticks are pretty expensive due to construction and the low amout of people ordering them. I dont want the same to happen with smash.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
  • Dude, they added one button (a button that was on 3rd party gc controller might I add). So the "almost" cosmetic part is pretty valid.
  • Never said they were. I was giving an example of how things can change for the better without being a simple "just add a button" thing. And again, it's the shell that changes most, not the button layout.
  • You're right. It doesnt. So why not ask for it to be made instead of the same controller? And how is not even wanting a possibly better controller in favor of the same model with a new paint job because gc controller are "the best" and "there's no need to change" not a "cant get better" mentality or a "gray haired suburban man from an old film" mentality?
  • Videogames and controller and systems are considered luxury items; price is not the only factor. And Selling=/=selling well.
  • Like I said before, some people enjoy conversations on public forums (I'm one of them) so they really have no reason to leave. The thread fullfilled the purpose of spreading info on the petition in the very first post, so by all mean you're also welcome to leave if the current direction of the thread doesnt fit your taste. I'd rather you didnt though.
  • I'm pretty sure M2K isnt the only one to make a forum/post like that. In fact I'm 100% positive since I've been to some. Feel free to check those near-countless ones out there and see how they go. I guarantee they're not all filled with people saying "gee golly, it's nice to have everyone agree on the subject"
-The shell is what mainly changes, but sometimes it matters a bunch, see: 3 handed n64 remote.
-People aren't asking for a better design because they don't know what it would be. I'm not sure about you but i have no idea what a "better" controller would look like, not until someone comes up with an idea i'd agree with. Of course, if that happens i will vouch for it, like most people will if it is truly what they think is better.
-I misinterpreted your use of the word luxury item. These are, however, controllers used by people to make money. Some people have devoted portions of their lives to smash and making money from tournaments, so i'd understand why they treat this as a more serious issue. Also, neither of us have numbers for the gcn remote sales or know what the numbers will be if they're ever redesigned and resold, so i'm going to go ahead and drop that.
-I enjoy conversation as well, but i think everyone should get a say, and people who've been playing the game professionally haven't been getting much of a say in this thread, while they've been getting plenty of bashing.(honestly, they'd probably argue their point much better than i have)
-Mister video gaming said that if M2K posted this on another forum the same thing would happen, Which it didn't. That's all i'm saying there.

What i seem to be getting from your posts is that you want to move on to better things than the gcn controller. I think that's fine, but people won't want to move on until a truly "better" controller enters the market. For now, the wireless Pro controller is anything but better, and the solution m2k presented is really the only good decision that doesn't have us forcing nintendo to invent a new controller that fits all the needs that the gcn remote and the pro controller fulfill.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What i seem to be getting from your posts is that you want to move on to better things than the gcn controller. I think that's fine, but people won't want to move on until a truly "better" controller enters the market. For now, the wireless Pro controller is anything but better, and the solution m2k presented is really the only good decision that doesn't have us forcing nintendo to invent a new controller that fits all the needs that the gcn remote and the pro controller fulfill.
Again, as Muster mentioned earlier, "better" is a subjective term. I personally believe the Wii U Pro is better than the GC controller and others have stated that they believe the GC controller is better than the Wii U Pro. Therefore, its subjective. Now when comparing the old GC controller to the new one asked in the petition, I think one could objectively say it is better than the old, but still, there will be some that say the old is better than the new (especially when one considers wired vs wireless).

If we were to look at this realistically, Nintendo will not produce a new version of the GC controller as asked for in the petition. The demand for a new GC controller is not high enough for Nintendo to supply.

So really, the only alternative(s) is for a 3rd party company to make a new gen GC controller, deal with adapter, or learn a new controller.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Originally, I used GC controllers all the time.

But I knew that the next Smash Bros was going to be using only Wii-based controllers, and so I made the switch to the Classic Pro. I've used it for over a year now, and have matched the level I was with the GC controller, and have even gone beyond that level.

The other night, I was able to play with the GC controller again in Smash Bros (all my GC controllers don't work anymore) and I gotta say, I hated it. It was too small for my hands, and it cramped my left hand when I was trying to perform faster motions.

I don't know 'bout you smaller handed people, but GC controllers hurt man. D:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Wasn't there another thread like this?
Tons.

They'll come up out of no where.

And they'll keep on coming.

As long as Smash 4 continues to be unreleased.

But why? Why would it choose a forum like this...

But yeah, KH reference aside, this has been brought up again and again and again since the game was first announced. It probably won't end til it's out. Even then, it'll probably only slow down.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Tons.

They'll come up out of no where.

And they'll keep on coming.

As long as Smash 4 continues to be unreleased.

But why? Why would it choose a forum like this...

But yeah, KH reference aside, this has been brought up again and again and again since the game was first announced. It probably won't end til it's out. Even then, it'll probably only slow down.
Because this is Smash 4, we're the people that would be most affected.

(I think there's a KH reference somewhere, never played the games though. I'll get around to them eventually.)

Morbi

Scavenger

But I knew that the next Smash Bros was going to be using only Wii-based controllers, and so I made the switch to the Classic Pro. I've used it for over a year now, and have matched the level I was with the GC controller, and have even gone beyond that level.

The other night, I was able to play with the GC controller again in Smash Bros (all my GC controllers don't work anymore) and I gotta say, I hated it. It was too small for my hands, and it cramped my left hand when I was trying to perform faster motions.

My story is the same. Except for the hating the GC Controller part as I have small hands anyways, so it doesn't really matter. I also can't match the level of the GC controller, so I guess the story isn't the same at all.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
-The shell is what mainly changes, but sometimes it matters a bunch, see: 3 handed n64 remote.
-People aren't asking for a better design because they don't know what it would be. I'm not sure about you but i have no idea what a "better" controller would look like, not until someone comes up with an idea i'd agree with. Of course, if that happens i will vouch for it, like most people will if it is truly what they think is better.
-I misinterpreted your use of the word luxury item. These are, however, controllers used by people to make money. Some people have devoted portions of their lives to smash and making money from tournaments, so i'd understand why they treat this as a more serious issue. Also, neither of us have numbers for the gcn remote sales or know what the numbers will be if they're ever redesigned and resold, so i'm going to go ahead and drop that.
-I enjoy conversation as well, but i think everyone should get a say, and people who've been playing the game professionally haven't been getting much of a say in this thread, while they've been getting plenty of bashing.(honestly, they'd probably argue their point much better than i have)
-Mister video gaming said that if M2K posted this on another forum the same thing would happen, Which it didn't. That's all i'm saying there.

• It's a fair point. n64 controller was a wtf thing even to me.
  • They also didnt know about gc controller until they were made. So I just cant really see that as an excuse to not want even more out of a controller.
  • fair enough
  • I dont think they're being bashed bashed, but I too would like their opinion. I've been to tournaments (and lost mostly) and use a gc controller-mostly for convenience since it's impossible to get dq'd for interference with a match- but I dont make a living off of gaming.
  • Ah, I thought you were talking to me. My apologies.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
  • It's a fair point. n64 controller was a wtf thing even to me.
  • They also didnt know about gc controller until they were made. So I just cant really see that as an excuse to not want even more out of a controller.
  • fair enough
  • I dont think they're being bashed bashed, but I too would like their opinion. I've been to tournaments (and lost mostly) and use a gc controller-mostly for convenience since it's impossible to get dq'd for interference with a match- but I dont make a living off of gaming.
  • Ah, I thought you were talking to me. My apologies.
-i'd imagine the petition is here so the remote can tide them over until said remote comes to fruition.
-some people were very rude (imo) over the course of this thread, to both people who just want the gcn remote back and people who want to stick to the old ways of melee. It really rustled my jimmies, to tell the truth.

This thread got really tiring really quickly, so i'm hoping it fades off of the front page after this. Thanks for being respectful through the whole thing, though. Wish more people acted like that.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Don't worry, I also see very little appeal in a Gamecube controller but you asked for a single argument, and I gave you one.

Besides, all the inputs of the controllers you mentioned are present on the Gamepad or the Pro Controller. The GC controller, on the other hand, had hybrid analog/digital triggers that don't have a substitute on Nintendo's modern gamepads and were required for some of the system's biggest games.
You get a like simply because of the LeBron troll face. Well done.

Anyways, if a GCN controller option became available for the Wii U and Smash Bros. I would DEFINITELY buy that baby. I love the GCN controller and I'm on record saying it's the best controller Nintendo has ever made next to the SNES.

But, if it isn't, oh well. I'm adaptable gamer if I absolutely have to. The Pro Controller, Wiimote/Nunchuck or GamePad will do.

Btw no amount of petition will help the cause.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You get a like simply because of the LeBron troll face. Well done.

Anyways, if a GCN controller option became available for the Wii U and Smash Bros. I would DEFINITELY buy that baby. I love the GCN controller and I'm on record saying it's the best controller Nintendo has ever made next to the SNES.

But, if it isn't, oh well. I'm adaptable gamer if I absolutely have to. The Pro Controller, Wiimote/Nunchuck or GamePad will do.

Btw no amount of petition will help the cause.
...Someone, I don't care who! Needs to go to a tournament, with a functional SNES controller, and win. This needs to happen!

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'd rather move on into the future than require Nintendo to continue supporting a 12+ year old controller for a now-dead system that hasn't been manufactured in ages. And I love the GCN controller, btw. It's just time to move on. Grow up. Live in the not-past. Learn the new controllers, seriously, it's not that hard. The Wii U pro controller is even pretty good!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'd rather move on into the future than require Nintendo to continue supporting a 12+ year old controller for a now-dead system that hasn't been manufactured in ages. And I love the GCN controller, btw. It's just time to move on. Grow up. Live in the not-past. Learn the new controllers, seriously, it's not that hard. The Wii U pro controller is even pretty good!
Who cares about the GCN controller, We need someone to win with a SNES controller! It needs to happen!

Personally, I like the pro controller is pretty good too. My only real complaint is that the triggers feel a bit tacked on, kind of like how some Brawl players use moded triggers for power shields. Another thing is that I can press all four of the buttons on the controller with my thumb (then again that could be beneficial to players who use quick inputs). If the right stick was inverted it would actually be perfect, then again, it would be an Xbox controller. It sucks because a lot of players use aerials with the c-stick, and if you jump with X/Y the motion from bottom to top is awkward and much more difficult, however it can be remedied if players use one of the trigger buttons to jump, preferably one of them opposite to the button you use to shield.

Playing without GC will suck for a while, honestly. I'm sure players will make it work. I really wish they would remake the GC though as I would love if they put GC games on the virtual console.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

I have big hands and fingers, it doesn't hurt me, and yes I play competitive.

Anyway I signed the petition, not because I'm riding your **** like everyone else does, but because the GCC is a pretty damn good controller, I hope they bring it back. If it doesn't work then the Wii U Pro might be the only option, because 3rd party sucks and breaks 2 easily. I like my controllers official, they haven't broken yet and its been years.

People shouldn't be complaining, just sign or don't. there really shouldn't be 5 pgs of arguments, but smashboards always ******* about something. and its in every category, smash 4, brawl, melee, 64. All I see is ********.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I like how the trigger buttons don't have an area in between being depreseed and pressed. To me at least for smash it's a nice confirmation of knowing if you're blocking on wakeup or not. Sometimes once in a blue moon I would see players that were light on the controller thinking they were blocking when in fact the controller wasn't despressing the button enough and hits happened. FPS fans don't like the triggers but who cares. That's what PC's are for

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Also we will never adapt because we don't have too.
This comment puts me in mind of this quote.

Comic Book Guy: Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

Bart Simpson: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?

Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.

Bart Simpson: What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them.

Comic Book Guy: Worst episode ever.

salaboB

Smash Champion

Comic Book Guy: Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world.

Bart Simpson: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?

Bart Simpson: What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them.

I think this quote misses the value of providing feedback on something you're passionate about.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Which episode was this?

pitthekit

Smash Ace
btw i am so glad that the wii u pro controller will have no spring based buttons aka l and r buttons. Go on brawl and go to the control options and make the Z button your shield... you can shield much faster because there's no physical spring delaying your shield imput. Also are the wii u pros analog sticks really bad? because then I can't arrow loop well with pit anymore.

Reznor

work in progress
any one notice how it's mostly newer members that say "move on use the Wii U Pro"
that said I will use the Wii U Pro i'll miss my Gamecube controller but we had a good 13 year run

any one notice how it's mostly newer members that say "move on use the Wii U Pro"
that said I will use the Wii U Pro i'll miss my Gamecube controller but we had a good 13 year run
Yeah; they're hypocrites. Some of them probably never owned a GameCube. I don't understand why Nintendo has to constantly change their control scheme, if it ain't broken don't fix it. It's one of the reasons Sony is so successful because they know they player wants to get into the game, not worry about which peripherals you need.

I will also use the pro controller, but the GC is just so solid. It also lead to the creation of the xbox controller.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Yeah; they're hypocrites. Some of them probably never owned a GameCube. I don't understand why Nintendo has to constantly change their control scheme, if it ain't broken don't fix it. It's one of the reasons Sony is so successful because they know they player wants to get into the game, not worry about which peripherals you need.

I will also use the pro controller, but the GC is just so solid. It also lead to the creation of the xbox controller.
Just because they're newer members doesn't mean they never owned a Gamecube. I'm fairly new and I've used one but I still think the Wii U pro controller is better.

Reznor

work in progress
well I can see why they would change the controller setup over time it took a while till we got the Gamecube controller
I get so annoyed when they talk about the how the Wii U controller copied the Xbox 360 one even though they copied the Gamecube controller :ohwell:
Just because they're newer members doesn't mean they never owned a Gamecube. I'm fairly new and I've used one but I still think the Wii U pro controller is better.
I haven't used the Wii U pro controller I would like to hear why some people would prefer it

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Lol I've played Melee let's relax here ... and I'm a new user. I basically use the GCN controller more than anything I have. From Gamecube to Wii era

Sadly, change is just a norm with life - ESPECIALLY with Nintendo if you haven't noticed.

I do wish they made the Pro Controller more Gamecube like, but hey it's better than nothing. They modeled it the way they did so it would replicate the Gamepad, and the Gamepad is modeled like that because its so wide, having it there feels natural. Pretty impossible to reach down to the right so far for a control stick. And for the motion control games (Animal Crossing Sweet Days) they do it more justice.

They made the Pro Controller basically to give an alternative to cater to our minority and few casuals interesting in Wii U but wanting something familiar. Logically, and from a business standpoint, Nintendo won't put money in controllers for an already poorly selling console.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I haven't used the Wii U pro controller I would like to hear why some people would prefer it
The thing I liked most about the pro controller compared to the gamecube controller was the button layout,but I guess it really comes down to personal preference.

Reznor

work in progress
The thing I liked most about the pro controller compared to the gamecube controller was the button layout,but I guess it really comes down to personal preference.
the button layout seems like it could be very hard to get used to (stick over the buttons :drohyou:)
how are the triggers I hear they're digital

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
the button layout seems like it could be very hard to get used to (stick over the buttons :drohyou:)
how are the triggers I hear they're digital
I'm pretty indifferent to the triggers. I don't hate them but I don't think they're that great either.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
*Insert Unpopular Opinion Puffin here*
Not that I hate the GC controllers but I think we should just use the Wii U Pro controllers if we really want the GC controller experience. The Wii-U gamepad is the perfect size for me, and I still like the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo. I also plan to go Pro just for this game.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Also are the wii u pros analog sticks really bad? because then I can't arrow loop well with pit anymore.
It will actually probably help your arrow loop as the Wii U Pro doesn't have notches for the control stick to get "stuck" in. Its extremely smooth when going full circle. That being said, if you rely on the notches from the GCC, or the Classic pro, then it will take some time to learn.

I've been a long time member, just not as active as some. I'm an advocate for the Wii U Pro, but I'm also not against the GCC.

For me, the controller is extremely comfortable. Its got a slightly wider grip than the GCC, which feels better to me. The right stick placement is different, but it was similar transitioning from the N64C to the GCC. I know I will make this transition as well. Now if you are proposing that a Wii U Gamecube style controller already existed and I had to choose between the two, I would probably choose the GCC. But its too bothersome, at least for me, to try and persuade Nintendo to make one.

BentoBox

Smash Master
What a pointless comment. There's no real correlation between SB join date and length of time playing smash. In any case, it's mostly people who've invested large amounts of time playing with the smash series with the gc controller asking that their tool of choice isn't changed. How many people have actually tried playing Smash with the WiiUPro? Exactly.. You're all knocking something that you have yet to try and in doing so somehow justify to yourselves how it'd make perfect business sense for Nintendo to bring back a GC like-controller.

Petition or not, it doesn't really matter. You would all win from not being so emotionally vested in an argument when the odds are most definately against you. Same goes for the controller.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, you could just get a Mayflash adapter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom