• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alright guys, we've got **** to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
No, it's not a glitch. It's a property of moving platforms and landing animation. It wasn't intended, if that's what you mean. But everything does everything it should do in that situation. The frames stay the same, the characters move the same way they're suppose to. Nothing is canceled in a way that it shouldn't be canceled, nothing happens in a way that it shouldn't happen. It's a technique. Not a glitch.

Fast Falling causes you to land on the platform! Landing on the platform at that point in time is what "platform canceling" is. Play GW. Do the same thing. Or Toon Link. They will start to fall through, and then instead use their down air into the platform instead. It's the same thing. The only difference, is that Olimar's dair can be auto canceled at that point of time in the attack, while theirs either can't, or has a smaller window that is missed.
Well unintended is what I meant by glitch :laugh: It's something that only happened to moving platforms, so I just classified that as a glitch ^_^

And you shouldn't be able to fast fall before reaching the top of your jump - that's why I said Brawl programmers = fail lol

We're on the same page, just using different terms :)

Greward

Smash Lord

There's also RC, though that'd take stage practice (I'm thinkin about the side scroll at the top, i think the ship's too small to have ANY use for it)
meh, RC is banned in europe =D

european ruleset is the best. though it has no distant planet

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
meh, RC is banned in europe =D

european ruleset is the best. though it has no distant planet
I still can't figure out how I feel about that place; I'm gonna have to play on it a LOT more in the future. From what I've seen too far it's actually not that bad - great for Oli, of course, but it doesn't break game balance as a whole (lol balance in Brawl *MK laughs*)

Greward

Smash Lord
distant planet has got the ai no uta music which makes it even more epic

i think it would be a great stage for olimar, maybe i can make it a cp in some small tourney in spain

and i dont think brawl is really unbalanced or that MK is that far away from the other char (with planking rules of course). but anyways lets stop the offtopic

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
so is platform canceling useful, shud i both to learn it?
I have a feeling it's useful but only if you know how to make it useful. It's situational, like a lot of things, but situational just gives you more options during certain situations. So

If you think you can do something with it, learn it.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
those situational ATs are not needed to be good its just an extra
Brood Instant Returned during his set against M2K during a time when we all thought it was useless. It isn't - it's just situational, but that doesn't stop it from being good.
platform cancel to up smash instead of uair?
Whats your best killing move again?
This guy gets what I'm talkin about :)

Greward

Smash Lord
instant return is way more useful than this. but yeah im not saying that this isnt useful, its just than its not a must learn imo

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
instant return is way more useful than this. but yeah im not saying that this isnt useful, its just than its not a must learn imo
Neither is Instant Return :) I'm not saying that it's necessarily as useful as Instant Return; I'm just sayin what I said - If you think you can do something with it, learn it.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
When did anyone think Instant Tether was useless?
Well not USELESS, but I'd only seen one person (I think Dabuz) actually use it in a set, and I've watched just about every recorded Olimar video there is :laugh: Underused and perhaps underestimated due to its situational-ness was what I meant

Noa.

Smash Master
I think NO ONE thought instant return was useless.

The timing for it is actually funky and requires practice though.

It's a really good tech and during matches I sometimes think to myself, "Instant return would work perfectly here."

I don't think Instant Return isn't too situational.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah what Noa said, lol. Keep in mind that there usually aren't very many videos recorded by Olimars, so I'm not surprised that you don't see Instant Tethers in videos.

Greward

Smash Lord
instant return is a must learn imo, even though the timing its tricky, having another ledge option with a character that is so ****ed when being at the ledge is just great

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
i dun find the timing tricky at all. But maybe its because I do instant return more than i think i do during matches. like greward said its a great ledge option!

i find platform canceling tricky as **** though!

Jane

Smash Hero
i would always instant return by accident, im glad i finally know how. should make my edge game much smoother and ****

Noa.

Smash Master
Instant return is great to punish certain characters recoveries. Like Lucario. Grab the ledge so that he has to land on stage, and instant tether to fsmash. Same thing with characters like Pikachu and Falco. Just getting up from the ledge is usually too slow.

Dnyce

Smash Master
You know how your opponent can be hit by tether if they're right at the edge? I ended up hitting someone with the tether on my instant return last night, and I'm wondering what it can combo into. I went straight for a fair cause they were at mid percent, but I'm sure we can get really creative on this :3

So in light of everyone talking about every little thing, what are the ATs that people are bringing up as important? We really need to keep track of this.

Usmash OoS, jumpcanceled if you have tap jump off

Instant Return

Reverse JC Usmash

That Weruop Tech that Shuffles pikmin to the end of the line

Am I missing anything else.

Oh and what Fino was talking about the other day in the chat. He said that if your opponent shields usmash you have a guranteed dsmash. That is so legit and I used it on everyone on Saturday. Got a lot of kills from people dropping their shields early. It's so good.
Boost pivot grabbing, which I still see a lot of Olimar's not doing .-.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Fino, do you boost pivot grab like you DACUS? I don't want to ignore this like I ignored usoos :)

And I've got a tactical question for you guys: what should I do if a Wario is air camping and stalling for the fart? Thankfully, I didn't have this problem at my last tourney, but I've run into it before and I get lost on what to do. I think I ended up over-extending myself trying to Fair him and getting punished for it. Aggressive Warios I can deal with, but how do I handle a campy one?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Don't try to hit him for it, just throw more pikmin. Seriously, lol. He's going to have to do something sometime, so hit him when he does. Keep pressure on him but try to stay on the ground as much as possible. Don't give him too much room, but don't necessarily approach.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Fino, do you boost pivot grab like you DACUS? I don't want to ignore this like I ignored usoos :)

And I've got a tactical question for you guys: what should I do if a Wario is air camping and stalling for the fart? Thankfully, I didn't have this problem at my last tourney, but I've run into it before and I get lost on what to do. I think I ended up over-extending myself trying to Fair him and getting punished for it. Aggressive Warios I can deal with, but how do I handle a campy one?
Yeah, since I have y set to grab I roll my thumb from Y-A, changing the direction on the control stick in between.

Chase him with uairs and throw lots of pikmin. Yellows will get him the easiest IMO, so if you aim your pikmin tosses so that blues and reds go off the stage (making it look like you're trying to hit him but actually just getting rid of them) so you seed yourself purples yellows and whites (if you're chasing him with camping use whites on his landings) then it helps you rack what little damage you can. The goal is to not let him hit you while he's charging his fart, always try to keep the lead.

Wario's fart is pretty obvious, just watch the time. He's eventually going to approach (unless he's got a percent lead cause, then he's just beating you with patience). Also the usmash oos is a must because it ****s all over their approach options.

But I would wait for input on others before taking this advice, lol.

Greward

Smash Lord
pretty much what fino said, punish him when hes landing and try to get yellow pikmins on him. u can space uairs too and pikmin chain on some stages.

when they get that 1:30min waft they will usually approach so try to camp him until he gets the 2min one so they pretty much wasted it. warios in europe usually puts his bike somewhere and use it to increase waft's hitbox so dont go near them XD

im not a pro in this matchup though

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
While tether isn't bad, using it grounded is a BAD idea in this matchup, lol. It's too difficult to land it consistently against Warios that know what they're doing, and if you whiff it, he gets to land a dair, fsmash, whaft, etc.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
pretty much what fino said, punish him when hes landing and try to get yellow pikmins on him. u can space uairs too and pikmin chain on some stages.

when they get that 1:30min waft they will usually approach so try to camp him until he gets the 2min one so they pretty much wasted it. warios in europe usually puts his bike somewhere and use it to increase waft's hitbox so dont go near them XD

im not a pro in this matchup though
Increase....hitbox??? Please explain :O

And @Fino: oh yea, I abuse the hell out of usoos - that's why I can handle them when they get aggressive ^_^

Thanks for all of the tips guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom