• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alright guys, we've got **** to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rust

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rustic
An exclusive Olimar social group doesn't sound like a bad plan

I know I wouldn't be in it in light of my recent EPIC FAIL to pressure (one chance to prove myself and it don't work, yay xD ), but it still doesn't sound like a bad plan.

Geddan

Smash Ace
An exclusive Olimar social group doesn't sound like a bad plan

I know I wouldn't be in it in light of my recent EPIC FAIL to pressure (one chance to prove myself and it don't work, yay xD ), but it still doesn't sound like a bad plan.
what different would an exclusive olimar social group be from just a normal olimar social group minus the possibility of input that would otherwise be excluded.

i'm just saying, character specific brs seem to have failed a lot in the past.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It turns it into more of a job and a mission rather than a relaxed discussion. We actually get **** done. They've failed in the past because we've had ****ty Social Groups but with VBulliten's upgrades, I think it could work. And it's looking like we're getting alright support for it, but it's going to take more.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I just came into the Olimar boards not even three days ago, and I am already not regretting picking up Olimar.

I am more then willing to do whatever I can to help and improve with you guys. I am very optimistic about this, I am a new Oli player and feel really great about this.

Denti

Smash Master
I'll start showing up here more.

But honestly brood doesn't do very many new things, he's just really good with his mindset and his adaptation. He's still the best olimar tho.. lol

If the threads will be made I'll come and and disscuss.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'll start showing up here more.

But honestly brood doesn't do very many new things, he's just really good with his mindset and his adaptation. He's still the best olimar tho.. lol

If the threads will be made I'll come and and disscuss.
He does one MAJOR thing that we don't: buffer.

There are a bunch of other little things that he does that can be looked into as well, but buffering is the primary reason he's better than America

Denti

Smash Master
All the little stuff I've seen him do I've been doing or dabuz has been doing. (watched dabuz's videos). His buffering is great, I need to see videos noaw!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'D BE SO DOWN WITH THE SOCIAL GROUP/OLIMAR BR. I WOULD LOVE TO BE APART OF IT AND WILL CONTRIBUTE A ****LOAD

Might not be a bad idea.

DOWN WITH M2K - UP WITH LARRY

Though I think the only reason Larry won is because Brood took out M2K for him ^_^
Larry can beat M2K now...

**** olimar

he beats snake, **** all of you who think otherwise
no, its an even matchup, brood is just amazing

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
All the little stuff I've seen him do I've been doing or dabuz has been doing. (watched dabuz's videos). His buffering is great, I need to see videos noaw!
Two things that have stuck on me were his uses of Usmash OoS.

Have you ever Usmash OoS against a dtilt spamming Marth?

Have you ever Usmash OoS against a Falco who just SH a bair at you on a platform above him?

Bah it's not even the little things that matter, WE MUST LRN2BUFFER!!!

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so we need someone who knows alot about buffering.

I'll await a long educated guide post.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Okay, so we need someone who knows alot about buffering.

I'll await a long educated guide post.
Dude

GTFO with that attitude. I'm sorry but you show up out of basically nowhere after Brood's victory and then say "Oh I'm gonna wait for everyone else to do the actual work here"? No. Just no. Your demeanor is insulting.

At this point basically everyone knows just about as much as everyone else. (Dabuz may know slightly more because he's gotten a couple day's head start on testing things out.) You posting in a thread dedicated to progressing Oli's metagame and saying "You guys bake the bread, I'll eat it" is so far out of line I don't even know where to begin.

In case you couldn't tell, I don't like what you just said or how you said it.

---

Wow, guess I kind of went off on a miniature rant there, more than I usually would have. Perhaps the increase in things (people) to get frustrated at has removed my sugar coating.

I gotta go to bed >.<

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Dude

GTFO with that attitude. I'm sorry but you show up out of basically nowhere after Brood's victory and then say "Oh I'm gonna wait for everyone else to do the actual work here"? No. Just no. Your demeanor is insulting.

At this point basically everyone knows just about as much as everyone else. (Dabuz may know slightly more because he's gotten a couple day's head start on testing things out.) You posting in a thread dedicated to progressing Oli's metagame and saying "You guys bake the bread, I'll eat it" is so far out of line I don't even know where to begin.

In case you couldn't tell, I don't like what you just said or how you said it.

---

Wow, guess I kind of went off on a miniature rant there, more than I usually would have. Perhaps the increase in things (people) to get frustrated at has removed my sugar coating.

I gotta go to bed >.<

I would research, but I meant i want to know how to buffer.
I think its inputing command at 10 frames before you complete something like downsmash,
so basically, 10 frames before the last attack.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ok, moderately long read about buffering, in the last 10 frames of an attack, we input another attack, if the attack beforehand has after-lag (dair) you have to apply that into the last 10 frames of it meaning we have to buffer during that lag, because buffer only affects the begging of the next wove, but the buffer makes it so, for them most part there is no start up time on our attack, so, an example is fsmash's hitbox it out by frame 2 or something like that AND THERE IS NO LANDING LAG, that also means we can do things like airdodge->1 frame startup spot dodge without landing lag, we can use any of our smashes or side-bs into another smash, side-b, and move that involves running/ a pivot, and a buffered jump (olimar even jumps like 5 frames faster) which we can probably time into buffered fairs or nairs as well, also, we can buffer almost anything OOS, as the moment we are hit on shield,BUFFER THAN ATTACK THEN DROP YOUR SHIELD, the timing is almost impossible, but we can do buffered attacks if we buffer an instant before shield drop, i have a feeling that, with these buffers, we can probably add an extra BUFFERED AERIAL to any combo and still have it a true combo, ex: dthrow->upsmash->(buffer it beforehand) GUARANTEED UPAIR, another note, we can fastfall and airdodge at the same time and our fall speed is increased by about 50% during the airdodge time, and if we release the fastfall quickly we can probably have another fastfall airdodge already buffered making our character's floatiness much less of a danger, he loves to buffer his side-b on the ground, it seems to be them move we have the most options out of while buffered, also, i've been doing this for a while without realizing, but we can buffer almost any attack (fair is best choice though) out of being grabbed or even hit by an attack, ok, thats all i have on his buffering ATM, when i get some more time to test i'll point out more ****

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
ok, moderately long read about buffering, in the last 10 frames of an attack, we input another attack, if the attack beforehand has after-lag (dair) you have to apply that into the last 10 frames of it meaning we have to buffer during that lag, because buffer only affects the begging of the next wove, but the buffer makes it so, for them most part there is no start up time on our attack, so, an example is fsmash's hitbox it out by frame 2 or something like that AND THERE IS NO LANDING LAG, that also means we can do things like airdodge->1 frame startup spot dodge without landing lag, we can use any of our smashes or side-bs into another smash, side-b, and move that involves running/ a pivot, and a buffered jump (olimar even jumps like 5 frames faster) which we can probably time into buffered fairs or nairs as well, also, we can buffer almost anything OOS, as the moment we are hit on shield,BUFFER THAN ATTACK THEN DROP YOUR SHIELD, the timing is almost impossible, but we can do buffered attacks if we buffer an instant before shield drop, i have a feeling that, with these buffers, we can probably add an extra BUFFERED AERIAL to any combo and still have it a true combo, ex: dthrow->upsmash->(buffer it beforehand) GUARANTEED UPAIR, another note, we can fastfall and airdodge at the same time and our fall speed is increased by about 50% during the airdodge time, and if we release the fastfall quickly we can probably have another fastfall airdodge already buffered making our character's floatiness much less of a danger, he loves to buffer his side-b on the ground, it seems to be them move we have the most options out of while buffered, also, i've been doing this for a while without realizing, but we can buffer almost any attack (fair is best choice though) out of being grabbed or even hit by an attack, ok, thats all i have on his buffering ATM, when i get some more time to test i'll point out more ****
I get the impression that you've been working on this all night ^_^ I'm glad to see work done, but don't over-extend yourself.

That said - good ****, Dabuz :D It's a little hard to read at some points but the majority of it is clear enough.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
I say u should put the thread up Hilt. We do really need to step our game up and grow as a community.

@^^^ thanx dabuz i am gonna go practice buffering everything with olimar.

also i heard Brood is the second best olimar in japan O_o japan too good

@vocal about upsmash Oos stuff- iv never seen someone upsmash Oos after a falco dair their shield O_o

Dotcom

Smash Lord
It is really informative but when he posted it he probably didn't think everybody would come back to look at up. It's very detailed which helps though. There's also the fact that one of the most important things when playing Olimar that alot of people do not do, is knowing your lineup at ALL times. I've lost count of watching Brood miss getting gimped because he had a purple at hand and didn't need to risk using an attack, or mistiming a whistle. Line up is top 3 things that need to be checked.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'm definitely going to be keeping track of my line up more often, no more over plucking, using Dsmash to get the Pikmin I need faster, etc (I'm sensing a major mind **** from here on in every time I play Olimar).

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Good **** Dabuz, seriously. Keep it up. Going to create the group soon. Another thing I think that's important is that we really need to coordinate our gatherings in the Xat more, and actually talk about important **** in it. Sometime tonight we should get in there are talk about stuff Dabuz :D

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
...You guys seriously didn't know how to buffer?
I always knew about buffering (Oli's basic dthrow chains should be buffered if done properly) and I buffered a few things in my game, but I never thought to use it to the extent that Brood has, you know? Never thought of it as a game changing aspect.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I always knew about buffering (Oli's basic dthrow chains should be buffered if done properly) and I buffered a few things in my game, but I never thought to use it to the extent that Brood has, you know? Never thought of it as a game changing aspect.
I understand what you're saying, I just always thought that buffering is something you do in all fighting games to make yourself faster.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
broods playstyle summarized:

INTERCEPT EVERY ATTACK AND NEVER LEAVE LEAVE AN OPENING BY JUMPING OR SOMETHING DUMB, but seriously, he really does make a lot of use with that buffer, punishing things in ways i've never seen, he also never uses airdodge, roll, or spotdodge ever, all he does is shield and do buffered attacks the moment something hits his shield, also, very little shorthop side b
he airdodges a lot and rolls occasionally, at least be did against m2k

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
broods playstyle summarized:

INTERCEPT EVERY ATTACK AND NEVER LEAVE LEAVE AN OPENING BY JUMPING OR SOMETHING DUMB, but seriously, he really does make a lot of use with that buffer, punishing things in ways i've never seen, he also never uses airdodge, roll, or spotdodge ever, all he does is shield and do buffered attacks the moment something hits his shield, also, very little shorthop side b
yes i noticed he almost ALWAYS did a grounded side B and never really spammed he did things VERY precise so he never accedently left himself open and he always stayed in the middle of the stage and never went to far to the edge when edgegaurding

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Buffering is your best friend, no matter who your main is.
It's always imperative to learn the buffers for your character.

@Hilt: Well, then I was glad that I was the one to say it.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Something I've also noticed from watching his M2K set as well as older videos: he uses grounded SideB to bait MKs into dashing into a grab. As in he throws a pikmin (MAYBE two) and then grabs immediately after.

This actually seems like a really safe strategy, and somewhat similar to how we fsmash to keep Snake from DACUS ****** us. By staying on the ground, he doesn't give MK an opportunity to dash in underneath him. In addition, pikmin throw forces MK to begin to do something, and if he chooses to approach from the ground then he runs directly into a grab. Outside of a read, this leaves MK's only approach option to be approaching from the air, and if we know how an opponent prefers to do this then we're already inside his head and ready to screw with him.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Actually we've been saying that for a long while now, Vocal, lol. That isn't something Brood in particular does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom