• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one who thinks that Zams is "too big"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The jet boots are way chunkier than stilettos, and stilettos are what men tend to co sided sexy. So Samus' jet boots are for aesthetic appeal and for practicality.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
The jet boots are way chunkier than stilettos, and stilettos are what men tend to co sided sexy. So Samus' jet boots are for aesthetic appeal and for practicality.
They still have the female form of high heels. They just combined something sexy with something practical.

Of course people interpret them in different ways, but I'm 99 % sure that the developers' intention was to have them look sexy. It kind of goes hand in hand with why they made her boobs bigger and her butt plumper.

For example, can you imagine Sheik in high heels or jet boots? Nope, neither can I. That's because Sheik is not being portrayed as sexy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They still have the female form of high heels. They just combined something sexy with something practical.

Of course people interpret them in different ways, but I'm 99 % sure that the developers' intention was to have them look sexy. It kind of goes hand in hand with why they made her boobs bigger and her butt plumper.

For example, can you imagine Sheik in high heels or jet boots? Nope, neither can I. That's because Sheik is not being portrayed as sexy.
Or because Sheik is not from a sci-fi game.

And no, I don't get "feminine" from these kind of heels, they look like the heels you'd find on combat boots.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Or because Sheik is not from a sci-fi game.

And no, I don't get "feminine" from these kind of heels, they look like the heels you'd find on combat boots.
Deku heels made of wood, designed to make Sheik disappear in a flash would look just as out of place - because Sheik doesn't have a sexy body, her body is believable and muscular.

Well, each to their own of course. :-) But what do you think the developers' intentions were, considering the rest of her looks? Practical heels or sexy heels?

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Oh, jet boots are fine, but why high heels?
See, that's why I keep trying to justify it in universe. It's obvious Sakurai is continuing the tradition of making Samus look attractive and apparently some people think heels are. I just want to figure out why Samus would wear them. You know, maybe there's a part of her that actually embraces her feminity. She spends so much time in the armor that she doesn't mind spending some time wearing something more traditionaly femine.

*Shrugs* i dunno. See, this is the problem with having a character with little explored and established personality (ignoring other m). I keep seeing people claim she's a badass and would never wear heels, but is that really true? She's a badass to be sure, but she's also human (ish). She's an adult woman. Maybe it's a personally preferred style. And, again, they do seem to serve a function.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Practical heels, because let's face, do you really need heels to make Samus sexy? She has a fit body, and she's in HD now. Of course people would be drooling over her.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
See, that's why I keep trying to justify it in universe. It's obvious Sakurai is continuing the tradition of making Samus look attractive and apparently some people think heels are. I just want to figure out why Samus would wear them. You know, maybe there's a part of her that actually embraces her feminity. She spends so much time in the armor that she doesn't mind spending some time wearing something more traditionaly femine.

*Shrugs* i dunno. See, this is the problem with having a character with little explored and established personality (ignoring other m). I keep seeing people claim she's a badass and would never wear heels, but is that really true? She's a badass to be sure, but she's also human (ish). She's an adult woman. Maybe it's a personally preferred style. And, again, they do seem to serve a function.
Heh, I always find it funny when people use IRL logic in a videogame. :-) With no disrespect regarding your words, why do you apply IRL logic in a game?

She has a fit body
Slender is not the same as fit in my book. Sheik has a fit body. Samus's is just slender.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Someone in that thread just gave me an idea:

What if, in Bayonetta 2, there was a ZSS skin or something? :V

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Someone in that thread just gave me an idea:

What if, in Bayonetta 2, there was a ZSS skin or something? :V
I would welcome that! I mean, it has happened several times before, too. Project Zero and some Warriors game had ZSS skins.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Tekken Tag Tournamet 2 also had the ZSS as an alt costume for some characters.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Anyone who noticed the crazy feminazis at Neogaf yet? Read at your own risk:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803910

As we all know, sexy women in fiction are bad, shameful and not politically correct!

Love you gaf.
All I see is some people who are upset about Samus getting sexualized, and some people complaining about "Samus whiners".

Really no need to use hyperbole.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
All I see is some people who are upset about Samus getting sexualized, and some people complaining about "Samus whiners".

Really no need to use hyperbole.
And I see males complaining that a female character is too sexy - because Neogaf is a place where you need to be perfectly political correct unless you want to be banned. They're famous for their feminism on that board, and no female character is safe unless she has the body of a 12 year old boy and ten layers of cloth to hide her body.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, when you think it over, Zero Suit Samus isn't THAT revealing, since her entire body is fully covered. There are female characters out there who have much more mature-looking wardrobes, such as Soul Calibur's Ivy Valentine.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
You know, when you think it over, Zero Suit Samus isn't THAT revealing, since her entire body is fully covered. There are female characters out there who have much more mature-looking wardrobes, such as Soul Calibur's Ivy Valentine.
That's like saying Taki of Soulcalibur II isn't revealing because she has full cover.

Samus's Zero Suit rides up her butt crack, that's how tight it is.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
And I see males complaining that a female character is too sexy - because Neogaf is a place where you need to be perfectly political correct unless you want to be banned. They're famous for their feminism on that board, and no female character is safe unless she has the body of a 12 year old boy and ten layers of cloth to hide her body.
Dude, there are plenty of people in that thread who sound just like you.
Unless they are indeed getting banned, I don't jive. It's not Tumblr.

Anyway, for all I may complain about her new design, I do have to admit that I'd like to have that booty body.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Dude, there are plenty of people in that thread who sound just like you.
Unless they are indeed getting banned, I don't jive. It's not Tumblr.

Anyway, for all I may complain about her new design, I do have to admit that I'd like to have that booty body.
It's against their rules to post "creepy" (they define males expressing their admiration for the female form as "creepy") posts like that. Either the mods chose to ingore it for the time being, or someone will eventually get banned in that thread.

However, it's not against their rules to post feminism propaganda and complain endlessly about females in games who are "too sexualized".

Compare with this forum. People here are allowed to have any opinion they want. Some people like Samus as a warrior, some like her as a sex object. Do you see people treat each other with disrespect because of these different viewpoints? I don't.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If we wanna be technical, Rosalina, Zelda, Peach, and Wii Fit Trainer show more skin than ZSS.

Really, this is just feminists doing what they do best - complain about irrelevant things, and look completely hypocritical doing it.

Nobody complained about Peach wearing a dress and heels in 3D World, even though there is absolutely no practical reason for it (her dress doesn't make her float, she floats just fine in the Boomerang Suit, which has no dress part to it). Yet, even though there is some practical justification here, it gets slammed.

Last edited:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
If we wanna be technical, Rosalina, Zelda, Peach, and Wii Fit Trainer show more skin than ZSS.

Really, this is just feminists doing what they do best - complain about irrelevant things, and look completely hypocritical doing it.

Nobody complained about Peach wearing a dress and heels in 3D World, even though there is absolutely no practical reason for it (her dress doesn't make her float, she floats just fine in the Boomerang Suit, which has no dress part to it). Yet, even though there is some practical justification here, it gets slammed.
Hey, I'm a feminist, and I have never said that nudity was a problem. Stop spreading your strawman political lies.

I turn away from this thread ONE day and it has already turned into a biased anti-feministic echo-chamber.

Last edited by a moderator:

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm a feminist, and I have never said that nudity was a problem. Stop spreading your strawman political lies.

I turn away from this thread ONE day and it has already turned into a biased anti-feministic echo-chamber.
The reason some people get tired of feminists is because some feminists can't accept that people like me like boobs and butts. They try to make me feel ashamed for loving the female body. That's why they get some shots fired back at them. If they respected other viewpoints more, I don't think it would happen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I didn't say feminists had a problem with nudity, I said they tend to make a big deal out of irrelevant things. Stop misinterpreting my posts.

However, going by the sexualisation logic, showing skin is also considered sexualisation on a character, so really, anyone who has a problem with any kind of sexualisation in Smash should be crying foul over every female character, because sexualisation. That's what I'm saying.

And I'm not being an anti-feminist here (I do dislike the concept, but I will keep my opinions about that away), I'm just pointing out flaws in people getting upset over sexualisation, as people always pick specific targets. In Samus' case, most people are doing it because they are angry about Other M. But they let the other characters slide, which is stupid. If you're going to dislike a concept, dislike it as a whole, don't be selective.

Last edited:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
I didn't say feminists had a problem with nudity, I said they tend to make a big deal out of irrelevant things. Stop misinterpreting my posts.

However, going by the sexualisation logic, showing skin is also considered sexualisation on a character, so really, anyone who has a problem with any kind of sexualisation in Smash should be crying foul over every female character, because sexualisation. That's what I'm saying.

And I'm not being an anti-feminist here (I do dislike the concept, but I will keep my opinions about that away), I'm just pointing out flaws in people getting upset over sexualisation, as people always pick specific targets. In Samus' case, most people are doing it because they are angry about Other M.
Typical of anti-feminists, thinking that nudity leads to sexualization.

Samus was a relatively unsexualized female vg icon, that's why people are more concerned about her. Also, people don't have time to invest in everything, just like people don't have enough money to donate to every charity org, in the world. Think about that.

The reason some people get tired of feminists is because some feminists can't accept that people like me like boobs and butts. They try to make me feel ashamed for loving the female body. That's why they get some shots fired back at them. If they respected other viewpoints more, I don't think it would happen.
I respect your honesty and right to have a viewpoint and right to complain. Feminists are not a hive mind, they are individuals, some are hypocrites, some are rational.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Typical of anti-feminists, thinking that nudity leads to sexualization.

Samus was a relatively unsexualized female vg icon, that's why people are more concerned about her. Also, people don't have time to invest in everything, just like people don't have enough money to donate to every charity org, in the world. Think about that.
Nudity can, but doesn't always mean sexualisation. You know, just like heels on a woman? :V

So explain to me why nobody complained about the Rosalina Daily Pic where she looked like she's shooting for a Brazzers ad? Rosalina has absolutely no sexualisation, and pretty much every Smash fan would have seen it, and even people outside it, as it reached short term meme status. And I know SJW's who happen to be big Rosalina fans myself.

And the charity example isn't comparable. Any blogger or forum poster complaining about one character in Smash is going to be fully aware of how each female character looks in Smash.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Please keep it Samus related, this isn't the make-quick-assumptionsaboutpeople and feminism debate board (although the latter is kind of needed to discuss this topic I guess).

Either way I don't think much of this. She looks good and that's all it is to me. In-game it's not like I'll be distracted by her slightly larger butt.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Nudity can, but doesn't always mean sexualisation. You know, just like heels on a woman? :V

So explain to me why nobody complained about the Rosalina Daily Pic where she looked like she's shooting for a Brazzers ad? Rosalina has absolutely no sexualisation, and pretty much every Smash fan would have seen it, and even people outside it, as it reached short term meme status. And I know SJW's who happen to be big Rosalina fans myself.

And the charity example isn't comparable. Any blogger or forum poster complaining about one character in Smash is going to be fully aware of how each female character looks in Smash.
Why stop at women in smash 4? Analyze men! Why stop at Smash 4? Analyze every game ever! Why stop at games? Analyze how women and men are sexualized in everything the media has ever created!

And you know that's impossible! People don't have time and energy, so they pick the thing that concerns them most: their favorite character in their favorite video games.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why stop at women in smash 4? Analyze men! Why stop at Smash 4? Analyze every game ever! Why stop at games? Analyze how women and men are sexualized in everything the media has ever created!

And you know that's impossible! People don't have time and energy, so they pick the thing that concerns them most: their favorite character in their favorite video games.
Precisely, why isn't Captain Falcon's bulge larger? Why do we only get those tight abs and nipple clamps, it isn't right. The ladies are always left out.

That being said, I don't believe that Samus is "sexualized" just because her proportions are slightly different.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand what the problem is... Samus is too smexy?
The problem with Samus, according to the warrior fans, is that she's becoming too famous for her sexiness instead of her coolness. I think they want her in the power suit and not emphasize the fact that she's a woman only to make her a sex object.

I can fully understand that reasoning - I just don't agree with it.

her slightly larger butt.

Is that really SLIGHTLY larger to you? :-P

Morbi

Scavenger
The problem with Samus, according to the warrior fans, is that she's becoming too famous for her sexiness instead of her coolness. I think they want her in the power suit and not emphasize the fact that she's a woman only to make her a sex object.

I can fully understand that reasoning - I just don't agree with it.

Is that really SLIGHTLY larger to you? :-P
I suppose I understand that reasoning; but at the same time, maybe they were separated for a reason?! Samus for the warrior princess fans, and Zero-Suit for the sex object fans! Sakurai knows what he is doing.

Also; dat donk is WAY bigger, not slightly bigger.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I suppose I understand that reasoning; but at the same time, maybe they were separated for a reason?! Samus for the warrior princess fans, and Zero-Suit for the sex object fans! Sakurai knows what he is doing.

Also; dat donk is WAY bigger, not slightly bigger.
I don't know. Sakurai said they separated all characters to not force the player to learn several different movesets. Of course, what you say could be one of the underlying reasons though, especially considering how fragmented Samus's fanbase has become.

I think so, too. It's like 50 % bigger and likely at least 35 % fatter.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Precisely, why isn't Captain Falcon's bulge larger? Why do we only get those tight abs and nipple clamps, it isn't right. The ladies are always left out.

That being said, I don't believe that Samus is "sexualized" just because her proportions are slightly different.
Just read my and aBBYS posts, there are small subtle changes Nintendo made that can be interpreted as sexualization.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just read my and aBBYS posts, there are small subtle changes Nintendo made that can be interpreted as sexualization.
I don't perceive any of the subtle changes as sexualization; someone mentioned it earlier, the Japanese are more "desensitized" to sexualization, it isn't really an issue in their culture. So I doubt any of it was entirely intentional; they are just more "open" to it. I mean in America; it is more acceptable to watch a chainsaw dismemberment after a torture scene than it is to see a nip slip.

Last edited:

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Even though they both have skin tight outfits, Captain Falcon is by no means a sexy character - he's comical. You just can't compare him to Zero Suit Samus when it comes to sex appeal (ask any woman if she thinks Falcon is sexy and she'll likely just laugh out loud).

There's zero doubt Zero Suit Samus was made to be sexy. However, that doesn't everyone think she is. But from a developer's standpoint - they definitely knew what they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom