• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animator(s) Needed for Two new taunts for Snake

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Vertex a cigarette onto his hand just for the duration of the taunt? No.

Where would that come from? You can adjust bone translations and rotations mid animation but you cannot do a single animation vertex change as the model is loaded once when you select the CSS icon. If you want a cigarette you have to sacrifice one of his other articles to do so.

Ninja'd.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Oh, okay. I'm not familiar with vertex/article hacking, sorry. >_>

Anyhow, if an invisible cigarette with no hitbox is the best we can do, I'd rather stick with the cloaking device. That's just my preference, though - we'll go with whatever the majority wants.

Or we could make two versions: Salute & Invisible Cigarette and Salute & Cloaking Device.

Hey Eternal Yoshi, have you had a look into the possibility of the new Box properties yet?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The hard coding is C***-blocking me from doing so.
I've been AFK so I wasn't able to look into his .pac file with Tabuu yet.

Sytilac

Smash Rookie
Hmm an Idea for the Cloaking Device Taunt.. Someone mention somewhere that, Maybe try to use some snakes Entrance for the CD Taunt. What if someone just make the Entrance a taunt too. I dunno and even get him to say "Kept ya waiting, huh?".

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
...Still no animators interested in working on these taunts?

Hmm, does anyone know any animators I could ask for help, instead of waiting for them to see this topic?

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Okay, if no one wants to name any specific animators I can talk to, how about giving me the names of some teams who might help? Is there any one team that is most likely to take on this animating project?

...Of course, for all I know, it might be impossible to edit Snake's taunts thanks to the hard-coded stuff. Eternal Yoshi, any luck with Tabuu so far?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
OK. Now that I'm done with the PSX sound pack for Gray Fox, I'm available now.

No Dice >_<

It's very stubborn, almost as if there is a higher priority subroutine somewhere that takes priority over everything you can put in the taunt subactions.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
So for now, there's no way to change Snake's taunts? :(

Is there any possibility of editing them at all, or is this the end?

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
wow a request thread that didn't get shot down and it still might not have hope that sucks dude

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
I'm still hopeful that there's some way to edit Snake's taunts. It's just not going to be easy.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
Stealth would be cool to have as a taunt ^_^
Why not use Falcon's salute animation instead of Samus'?

Right now I think it's ******** for Snake to have the same taunt in all 3 taunts, it just ain't right.

Also, since SSBB Snake looks a lot like Big Boss (Snake's "clone-daddy").
According to my Brawl, not anymore:

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Stealth would be cool to have as a taunt ^_^
Why not use Falcon's salute animation instead of Samus'?
Snake's salute would need to be animated from scratch to look right, IMO.

Then again, we might not be able to change Snake's taunts at all. Eternal Yoshi has had no luck trying to edit them with Tabuu, and we still don't have any animators interested in helping. If only I knew the names and contact info of some animators, I would ask them myself...

I also sent Shanus a message about whether or not Snake's taunts can be edited, but I haven't gotten a response.

According to my Brawl, not anymore:

Way to go! That's going to be the new default for a lot of Snake players, I bet. :)

(...Didn't Snake have a blue vest at some point, too?)

I've already downloaded it, and plan to try out the new pack soon.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
I also sent Shanus a message about whether or not Snake's taunts can be edited, but I haven't gotten a response.
Eh, some I hope he responds quick. Right now this whole project is just a dream for all of us.

Way to go! That's going to be the new default for a lot of Snake players, I bet. :)
(...Didn't Snake have a blue vest at some point, too?)
I'm not sure, I don't think so. I think you mean the Bullet Proof vest you can find in the Boiler Room right after you beat Sniper Wolf. It shows up during cutscenes and it looks really cool.

Oh, and if any guests who really think that texture is cool and don't know where to download it click here

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I got a reply from Shanus. Take a look:

shanus said:
Bent 00 said:
Hi Shanus. I've got a question for you, regarding the replacement of Snake's taunts. I've started a thread over in Customized Content with the purpose of giving Snake two new taunts, since all he has is the box for all three now. Take a look at the thread if you like:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11067821#post11067821

Anyhow, the reason I'm messaging you is because of something SheLL said: "Snake has a lot of strange, hard-coded stuff going on in his taunts which probably makes replacement prohibitive. Shanus knows more about it than I, so I would talk to him before you guys get to excited about all of this."

So, my question is, is there anything hard-coded in Snake's taunts that make them impossible to replace? I'm really hoping there's not, since I've gotten a good many people interested now. :)

The most popular taunt replacement ideas are, in order from most wanted to least wanted:

1.) Smoking (but this requires article hacks, which haven't been figured out enough yet, so I'm told)
2.) Salute (this should be the easiest to animate)
3.) Cloaking Device (people are worried this will be broken, but I believe it can be balanced. Currently, it and Salute are the only options we have, since Smoking and "!" can't be done without article hacks)
4.) "!" (this one isn't really popular, but it's worth a mention)

* We also want to edit the Box up taunt so Snake can move around and maybe even silently drop C4 or Grenades while he's under there. It's a fun idea.

You can read how all of the proposed new taunts work in the thread I linked to above. Thanks much for taking the time to consider this! Project M is looking great, by the way. I'm looking forward to the day it's released. :)
Alright, sorry for slow reply. I have had 2 weeks in a row of insane amounts of work at my job (read: 90 hr workweeks)

Off the top of my head, I believe Snake's last 2 special actions are parts 2 and 3 of his box taunt. So, for example. Taunt action goes into part 1, then it automatically funnels in action 133, and then funnels into 134. The trickiest part for you to figure out is how to get his action to not automatically funnel into 133 and 134. You could try and make the unique taunt, then at the end of that taunt, change action directly into wait. Toy around with things and let me know. If you want him able to move during a specific taunt, you could do it I think during action 133 and check which taunt he is in using IC-Basic 20000 (current subaction, set to scalar). So for example, if you were at subaction 100, If IC-Basic 20000 = Scalar 256 (hex 100).
I've got to get to sleep for now, so I'll let you guys ponder it. I guarantee you know more about the technical aspects of it than I do, anyway. ~_~

shanus

Smash Hero
FYI, one mistype in there should be during action 133, not 33

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Sorry for the delay.

I somehow managed to point Action 133 to another offset which has all the original parameters plus 8 nops thanks to Tabuu.

It checks out aparrently.

So If IC-Basic 20000 = Scalar 256 (hex 1F8) is a comparison requirement using event 000A0400 right?

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
So... Does this mean that Snake's taunts can be replaced or modified? >.>

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
So, is that useful to us? Or are Snake's taunts impossible to replace entirely?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Success.

Bye box animations.

Action 133 now has a Nop and this in the subaction Appealwait:

Code:
If: on Ground
           Change Subaction: subaction=0
           Change Action: sub action=0, Requirement=NaN
Else
           Change Action: Action=E, Requirement: In Air
Nop
Nop
Nop
Nop
Now all 3 taunts go directly into his standing animation, like normal taunts would.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
Success.

Bye box animations.

Action 133 now has a Nop and this in the subaction Appealwait:

Code:
If: on Ground
           Change Subaction: subaction=0
           Change Action: sub action=0, Requirement=NaN
Else
           Change Action: Action=E, Requirement: In Air
Nop
Nop
Nop
Nop
Now all 3 taunts go directly into his standing animation, like normal taunts would.
So, is that useful to us? Or are Snake's taunts impossible to replace entirely?
I'd say they are possible to replace.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
All right! That's great news. Thanks, Eternal Yoshi! :D

What about being able to:

- Move around while under the box
- Stay under the box indefinitely / until a certain button is pressed
- Drop C4 or grenades while under the box

Are those possible to implement as well?

Anyhow, now we just need to find an animator. Anyone know where to look?

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I didn't know you could animate, Eternal Yoshi. o.o

I'm going to go try that new taunt out ASAP. :D

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I just downloaded the Salute taunt files, and read your READMENAO:

Eternal Yoshi here.

Put the Salute_Taunt.chr0 into FitSnakeMotionEtc.pac over AppealHi.
I added proper SE for it.
The FitSnake.pac file is made so that the box is gone.
Nothing else about his moveset was altered.

Over.
Um, I've actually never used BrawlBox or Tabuu before, so I don't know how to place that Salute_Taunt.chr0 file. :/

I did try the FitSnake.pac file, though - it removed the box from all three of Snake's taunts and made them end very quickly, like you said. I could hear the salute sound effect from the up taunt...

Speaking of which, we had planned on making the salute the side taunt, since the up version of the box happens to be the the fastest form of the box taunt. Was there a reason why you made the salute taunt over up taunt instead of side taunt?

Lastly, is it "all-or-nothing" when it comes to removing the box? We want to keep the box over one taunt, and hopefully modify it so Snake can move while under it, and possibly drop C4 or grenades.

Sorry I'm unfamiliar with BrawlBox and Tabuu. If you would give a brief explanation on how to place that Salute_Taunt.chr0 file, I could try (assuming my PC can run one of those two programs). Or you could go ahead and place the file into the FitSnakeMotionEtc file - I can use those. :)

P.S.: Once we've got the Salute, Smoking (or Cloaking Device), and (moving/C4/grenade) Box taunts ready to go, let's make Brawl+ and Brawl- (and Balanced Brawl too, why not) "FitSnake.pac"s and "FitSnakeCustomEtc.pac"s ready to drop in the Snake folder.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
I could make a pretty good salute animation 1 2 3.
If you want I'll start on it tonight.

And maybe a smoking one too.
Or whatever.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
I just got finished testing Eternal Yoshi's salute animation. First of all, I just want to say how much I appreciate the help of everyone here. It's so great to see this project start to come to fruition! :D

...Er, yeah. Eternal Yoshi, GREAT job on the salute. There's only a few tiny quirks you might want to address:

- Snake's left leg twitches just a bit during the turn to salute.
- Snake's right leg might benefit from being slowed down slightly, so his foot lands in time with his salute.
- Snake's right elbow and wrist become a bit distorted as he salutes (but you only notice if you look from above or behind)

- Snake's knees might be bent a bit much during the salute.

Lastly, after playing a few matches and taunting often, I think that it would be better if the last part of the taunt (turning back to facing sideways) was a bit faster. Or perhaps you could make it cancelable in the last stage(s). I often found myself jamming the control stick to move, waiting for the taunt to finish.

IMO, the speed of the first half of the taunt feels right - it's the second half that seems to drag slightly.

I could make a pretty good salute animation 1 2 3.
If you want I'll start on it tonight.

And maybe a smoking one too.
Or whatever.
Eternal Yoshi's salute is looking really good, but it's up to you.

The smoking and moving box taunts are going to be harder. It would be great if you could attempt animating either of those. :)

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Interloping is the most irritating thing I've ever seen.
I'll go fix these.

You know what I just learned. The modellers were being silly.
Snake's knees are bent like that by default, even when T-stanced LOL.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Edit: as for the legs,

Better or worse?

I can't get closer without making then front knees look odd.

The distorting happens in a couple of Snake's base animations too, like his Guard animations and his jab.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Much better on the knees. :)

What do you think about the other points I mentioned. Eternal Yoshi?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The distorting with the arms happen in a couple of Snake's base animations too, like his Guard animations and his jab.

Hard to get around without throwing off the arm.

I fixed the legs transition to the salute.

I'll also add allow interrupts at frame 90ish.

Fixed the wrist.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
The distorting happens in a couple of Snake's base animations too, like his Guard animations and his jab.

Hard to get around without throwing off the arm.
The elbow distortion is fine, but that wrist distortion is a bit odd.

If it can't be helped, it's fine - like I said, you only really notice it if you look at snake from above or from a bird's eye perspective.

I fixed the legs transition to the salute.

I'll also add allow interrupts at frame 90ish.
Great, thanks for making these changes.

I'll be happy to test the new version once you have it ready - I learned how to place that Salute_Taunt.chr0 via BrawlBox, thanks to your detailed instructions. :)

Just a side note: Is it just me, or does the salute feel like a natural fit for down taunt? It's probably just because I'm used to Falcon's "Show me ya moves", lol. BTW, I love how the salute can face towards the screen or the background, depending on whether you're facing left or right. Saluting opponents flying into the horizon is awesome. XD

The salute is looking very nearly complete, thanks to Eternal Yoshi... Next up, the Smoking taunt or the Moving Box!

The Box is pretty straightforward - Snake will be able to move around under his box indefinitely (until Snake is hit or a certain button is pressed), and possibly drop C4 or Grenades silently while hidden (we'll have to playtest this, assuming we can get it to work).

On the other hand, there's a variety of ways we can approach the Smoking taunt. More on this tomorrow - I've got to go for now!

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
Amazing! There is one thing about Brawl modding: Things get more epic and epic.

Now moving box.. Iv'e been waiting to see MGS:TTS Snake in his Heliport Box moving around and planting C4s and Grenades stealthy-like!

That's still your main texture isn't it? Aww, I can't use my Wii now but I want to see Big Boss CQC and my MGS:TTS Snake salute :ohwell:

Theres nothing like seeing it in game compared to BrawlBox previews.

Revven

FrankerZ
EternalYoshi, does he still retain the box taunt as one of them in your .pac? I'm assuming he does but you never really clarified.

Edit: LOL, a few seconds before I even ask. Nevermind.

Top Bottom