• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
it's true. she is significantly bigger than other characters.

Pic of the day. Two that are actually not so tall. Kirby's about 8 inches high, Captain Olimar maybe a little over an inch.
Smash Bros. does not use canon sizes.

mention she, too, is no longer important.
She's more important to the saga overall than Chrom is. She was also incredibly important in the Future Past story. What's more, her longevity means that he is far more likely to STAY relevant than Chrom is.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Actually, in general, what's the point of even debating whether or not Robin, Tiki, Anna or Lucina's worth as playable characters in a Chrom support thread?

Rakath

Smash Ace
She is not a main character in either of the games she was in, it's like wanting tingle over Pig ganon
...Yes, that's exactly it, picking a character with the most appearances representing every Manakete, who are significantly more important than Tingle as they are one of the general alternatives for taking out the Final Boss of the game if you underleveled your lord or failed to achieve the Legendary Weapon of the game.

In FE1/3/11/12 if you do not have Falchion your best bet is Tiki (Nagi as well in 11), Gotoh. Same with Fae in six, Myrrh in eight, and Nowi in thirteen.

Totally Tingle level of importance. I mean, by your logic we really don't need Chrom he's like a third Link. Which would be better, TP!Link, MM!Link, and WW!Link. Or Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda. (Hint, in this example Chrom is not Ganondorf or Zelda).

This is why we got Robin over Chrom.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
problem is that the whole point of manaketes and ridley
...Yes, that's exactly it, picking a character with the most appearances representing every Manakete, who are significantly more important than Tingle as they are one of the general alternatives for taking out the Final Boss of the game if you underleveled your lord or failed to achieve the Legendary Weapon of the game.

In FE1/3/11/12 if you do not have Falchion your best bet is Tiki (Nagi as well in 11), Gotoh. Same with Fae in six, Myrrh in eight, and Nowi in thirteen.

Totally Tingle level of importance. I mean, by your logic we really don't need Chrom he's like a third Link. Which would be better, TP!Link, MM!Link, and WW!Link. Or Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda. (Hint, in this example Chrom is not Ganondorf or Zelda).

This is why we got Robin over Chrom.
that has nothing to do with my logic

and as stated before, this isn't the thread for side-characters.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Actually, in general, what's the point of even debating whether or not Robin, Tiki, Anna or Lucina's worth as playable characters in a Chrom support thread?
Well according to the thread's title, the jury is still out on whether or not there will even be DLC on SSB4. Even if there will be, some people are already saying that Chrom's chances of being a playable DLC character dropped thanks to his inclusion in Robin's victory pose.

I guess people here are just now just passing time waiting to see if will be DLC at all in SSB4.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well according to the thread's title, the jury is still out on whether or not there will even be DLC on SSB4. Even if there will be, some people are already saying that Chrom's chances of being a playable DLC character dropped thanks to his inclusion in Robin's victory pose.
Yeah, I'm one of those people that don't expect Chrom to be DLC at all.

Rakath

Smash Ace
problem is that the whole point of manaketes and ridley

that has nothing to do with my logic

and as stated before, this isn't the thread for side-characters.
There is a very good chance we will never see the cast of Awakening again as main title cast.

We will definitely see Manaketes, and mages, in later Fire Emblem games.

How is Chrom more important? Your logic is heavily flawed as your result is already determined and you're dancing as fast as you can to support it. There isn't a single bit of evidence you will consider unless it supports Chrom should be in Smash.

When at the end of the day, a single FE lord is largely unimportant to the series at large.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm one of those people that don't expect Chrom to be DLC at all.
And then I posted a hypothetical question asking if Chrom would be the main Fire Emblem if Robin never existed in Awakening. Guedes avoided answering the question and now other people are saying "No, we'll still get someone else besides Chrom."

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
And then I posted a hypothetical question asking if Chrom would be the main Fire Emblem if Robin never existed in Awakening. Guedes avoided answering the question and now other people are saying "No, we'll still get someone else besides Chrom."
To answer the question, I do feel that if Chrom had a unique enough signature characteristic, he would have been included. If he, hypothetically speaking, had the signature ability to emit and utilize wind from his Falchion, I think Sakurai would have deemed him unique enough to be included, even if a more unique alternative existed. Remember, he didn't get rejected for being a blue-haired swordsman in of itself, but rather because he was a plain old sword wielder without any unique characteristics.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
of course i avoided the question. how would have i known?
There is a very good chance we will never see the cast of Awakening again as main title cast.

We will definitely see Manaketes, and mages, in later Fire Emblem games.

How is Chrom more important? Your logic is heavily flawed as your result is already determined and you're dancing as fast as you can to support it. There isn't a single bit of evidence you will consider unless it supports Chrom should be in Smash.

When at the end of the day, a single FE lord is largely unimportant to the series at large.
Because Chrom is the protagonist of the latest game? As of now, he outclasses everyone but Ike and Marth (who are lords of more than a single game) in importance within the Fe games.

Chrom's role in the latest game is bigger than Tiki's. Tiki literally didn't need to be in awakening as she served no purpose other than giving Chrom the Azure.

Sure, she had a role in previous games. She wasn't Marth in neither of those games, and they are in the past now.

and sheesh, the size thing was just a ridley-based joke.

Last edited:

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
of course i avoided the question. how would have i known?
It's a simple "Yes" or "No" question. You avoiding the question makes it sound like you don't sound confident that Sakurai will add Chrom to the SSB4 roster even if Robin was hypothetically not in Awakening at all.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Keep this relevant to Chrom, guys.

And please, enough of the "this character would represent this" stuff. It doesn't work that way...Smash isn't Congress. Chrom was never one for diplomacy, anyway. :p

And I'll say this, though, since I feel I can say it confidently. If there is DLC, and if there is character DLC, and if there is a DLC Fire Emblem character, there's no doubt in my mind it will be Chrom. Not Roy, not Tiki, not Anna, not the 3-13 Archer. It just makes sense, I think. You already have most of the resources, he's a popular character, and he'd have more time to think about what he'd be able to do. After all, he's not above changing his mind. Just my opinion. :p

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Keep this relevant to Chrom, guys.

And please, enough of the "this character would represent this" stuff. It doesn't work that way...Smash isn't Congress. Chrom was never one for diplomacy, anyway. :p

And I'll say this, though, since I feel I can say it confidently. If there is DLC, and if there is character DLC, and if there is a DLC Fire Emblem character, there's no doubt in my mind it will be Chrom. Not Roy, not Tiki, not Anna, not the 3-13 Archer. It just makes sense, I think. You already have most of the resources, he's a popular character, and he'd have more time to think about what he'd be able to do. After all, he's not above changing his mind. Just my opinion. :p
Watch as we get Lissa as DLC.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So Chrom is in Robin's Victory Screen. He's watching over the battlefield. I don't see him being DLC but if some how you guys convinced Sakurai in adding Chrom it will truly be the biggest thing since Sonic.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Watch as we get Lissa as DLC.
Sure, let's get Chrom's ENTIRE FAMILY in before him. :p

That being said I wouldn't be opposed to Lissa. But only after Chrom.

So Chrom is in Robin's Victory Screen. He's watching over the battlefield. I don't see him being DLC but if some how you guys convinced Sakurai in adding Chrom it will truly be the biggest thing since Sonic.
Just waiting on the official word of DLC before the real fun begins. :D

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Sure, let's get Chrom's ENTIRE FAMILY in before him. :p

That being said I wouldn't be opposed to Lissa. But only after Chrom.

Just waiting on the official word of DLC before the real fun begins. :D
After you've added Owain, Cynthia, Sumia, Emmeryn, Lon'qu, and F!Morgan to Sm4sh, Sakurai, then you have permission to add Chrom.
I added Lon'qu, because I normally have him marry Lissa, because then Owain looks like Mini-Lon'qu.
Sumia and Cynthia don't need an explanation.
F!Morgan because :4lucina:x:4robinm: is love. :4lucina:x:4robinm: is life.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
It's a simple "Yes" or "No" question. You avoiding the question makes it sound like you don't sound confident that Sakurai will add Chrom to the SSB4 roster even if Robin was hypothetically not in Awakening at all.
you do realize taking Robin out of the plot changes a lot of stuff, right? I don't know what kinds of decisions the FEA team made that were done thanks to Robin. Maybe skills were only a thing because they thought it would be a better customization for our Avatar. If that was the case Chrom wouldn't have any skills and would be blander. The exact same reasoning could've applied for Class changing. At which point we'd get no Chrom because THEN he'd offer nothing. All the same, without Robin, Chrom would get a bigger focus and could've gotten a special ability or two along the way. maybe something incredibly game-changing.

It's only natural to not be sure, because your question doesn't have a clear image of how everything would've been affected; and it is, in other words, not a fair question.

Sakurai could choose Chrom simply because there was literally no competition and give him something smash-exclusive; if we take "robin is gone" as a fact and not elaborate. or he would actually analyze what this chom has to offer, at which point we'd need that copy of our robin-less FEA.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
YES AND ITS AMAZING
That's kind of surprising to hear, honestly. It seems like most of the Chrom supporters here don't like that he's a part of Robin's victory pose; if you don't mind me asking, why are you so happy about it?

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why NOT. He's getting even more recognition than I'd thought! I just can't wait for us to see his trophy!

Curiously, has multiple victory animations been confirmed yet?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Not impossible. It is very unlikely, in my opinion, but not impossible.
Let me put this in prospective.

-You have a character that a lot of people dislike, at least in the context of Super Smash Bros.
-You have a director that has flat out stated that Chrom would of been redundant with Marth and Ike.
-We don't have any bloody idea whether or not DLC will be a factor, and even if it does come true it may not be in the context of playable character due to the emphasis on connectivity between the Wii U and 3DS versions.
-On top of that, with the above statement, Chrom is not going to be a prime candidate for DLC regardless. Not to mention in order to make him playable, there's going to be a lot of development trying to essentially retcon previous development. Not as easy as people make it out to be, especially again the factor of doing it for two different games on two different pieces of hardware.
-Also, Fire Emblem along with Pokemon put a lot more emphasis on whatever game is the most recent as of development, meaning that there is no hope of Chrom appearing for a future installment unless they feel like producing another Fire Emblem game roughly 6 years down the line featuring Chrom for whatever reason.

There is some really, really, REALLY, steep odds that you can't exactly ignore.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

-You have a character that a lot of people dislike, at least in the context of Super Smash Bros.
-You have a director that has flat out stated that Chrom would of been redundant with Marth and Ike.
-We don't have any bloody idea whether or not DLC will be a factor, and even if it does come true it may not be in the context of playable character due to the emphasis on connectivity between the Wii U and 3DS versions.
-On top of that, with the above statement, Chrom is not going to be a prime candidate for DLC regardless. Not to mention in order to make him playable, there's going to be a lot of development trying to essentially retcon previous development. Not as easy as people make it out to be, especially again the factor of doing it for two different games on two different pieces of hardware.
-Also, Fire Emblem along with Pokemon put a lot more emphasis on whatever game is the most recent as of development, meaning that there is no hope of Chrom appearing for a future installment unless they feel like producing another Fire Emblem game roughly 6 years down the line featuring Chrom for whatever reason.

I agree with your points, and I would say that Chrom being DLC is very unlikely.

However, that doesn't make him absolutely impossible. There's a very significant difference between being extremely unlikely and being outright impossible.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Because Chrom is the protagonist of the latest game? As of now, he outclasses everyone but Ike and Marth (who are lords of more than a single game) in importance within the Fe games.

Chrom's role in the latest game is bigger than Tiki's. Tiki literally didn't need to be in awakening as she served no purpose other than giving Chrom the Azure.

Sure, she had a role in previous games. She wasn't Marth in neither of those games, and they are in the past now.

and sheesh, the size thing was just a ridley-based joke.
The section is not for "Fire Emblem: Awakening" its for "Fire Emblem" his role in the latest game doesn't matter. Once a character is designed you have to expect they will be a repeat appearance character. The amount of resource 'wasted' if you cannot reuse it for a later title is a factor. Avatar Units seem to be maintaining, we've had one for the past three two games.

Lords are, of course, a constant, but we have two. So to 'Chrom's role in the latest game is bigger than Tiki's.' I say "So what?" Chrom does not outweigh the room for expansion that a slot for the Dragonbabies would take, if we take the Bowser Jr. rumor as fact. We could fit Tiki, Fae, Myrrh, and Nowi into a single slot. Does Chrom's role in the latest game outweigh four characters from seven games?

If I were to pick DLC to represent the series for me? It would be something bigger than 'the game everyone decided was good.'

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I agree that Chrom is unlikely.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

A lot these are good points, but that's all above will happen inevitably. It's however, a long timespan before all of it will be fulfilled. So it's best to let the time tell what happens. We've had expectations happening before anyway.

I think if Chrom manages to find his uniqueness from his current iteration through his next appearances (unless new FE pops up), there'd be nice chance he might be reconsidered again sometime, whether DLC becomes a thing, or far in the future.
His biggest shortcoming is only that he brought nothing new on table. I believe if he'd break from that mold, we could see something happening.

A.C.C.

You know the rest.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Villager... Mac... Pittoo...

I think if Chrom manages to find his uniqueness from his current iteration, there'd be nice chance he might be reconsidered again.

A.C.C.

You know the rest.
Villager and Little Mac bring more to the table than Chrom does. Dark Pit is just a last minute addition like Lucina, if the roster placement is any indication, meaning little time was spent in his inclusion and consequently had lower production costs, as a lot of the work usually done in the making of a new character was already done.

Next to Marth and Ike, Chrom feels redundant. He fits the same Lord archetype and that is detrimental to variety.

Also, like @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero stated, there's the whole development factor that would be a big hassle in order to not only design a new character from scratch, but the whole retconning factor involving removing Chrom's appearances as part of Robin's Final Smash and win poses.

To quote Sakurai regarding some statements about making Chrom DLC: "Have you ever made a game?"

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Villager and Little Mac bring more to the table than Chrom does. Dark Pit is just a last minute addition like Lucina, if the roster placement is any indication, meaning little time was spent in his inclusion and consequently had lower production costs, as a lot of the work usually done in the making of a new character was already done.

Next to Marth and Ike, Chrom feels redundant. He fits the same Lord archetype and that is detrimental to variety.

Also, like @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero stated, there's the whole development factor that would be a big hassle in order to not only design a new character from scratch, but the whole retconning factor involving removing Chrom's appearances as part of Robin's Final Smash and win poses.

To quote Sakurai regarding some statements about making Chrom DLC: "Have you ever made a game?"
Yeah, I realized that after writing my reply first time. I guess didn't phrase well what I meant. I wrote this in place of the reply to SouLBlazer:

A lot these are good points, but that's all above will happen inevitably. It's however, a long timespan before all of it will be fulfilled. So it's best to let the time tell what happens. We've had expectations happening before anyway.

I think if Chrom manages to find his uniqueness from his current iteration through his next appearances (unless new FE pops up), there'd be nice chance he might be reconsidered again sometime, whether DLC becomes a thing, or far in the future.
His biggest shortcoming is only that he brought nothing new on table. I believe if he'd break from that mold, we could see something happening.
FS retconning doesn't sound easy though.

However, this brings new question: what will come to the new FE-lords? Is FE complete now in means of bringing anything new to the table, unless they dwell on other archetypes in the series represented by important characters (Tiki comes to mind)

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl

1- Miis got in anyways. And a lot of people dislike Chrom because they have never seen him in action. Take shulk for example: he had the same crows of "no moveset potential swordsman" chanting against him and he looks awesome. sure, the Monado can do a bit more stuff than the falchion; but my point is that a cool attitude + being a powerful fighter makes you great in smash bros.

2- Again, it's really obvious from his comments that he never gave Chrom a chance. If DLc is a thing, chrom has a very high chance of being considered due to how cheap he is. Now, if DLC chrom will be a 100% unique or 100% cloned it's another story.

3- Which is why the movement is on hold >_<

4- for DLC newcomers, yes he would. He is cheap, popular, important and relevant. all we need is for Sakurai to actually stop to consider what he can do; considerably easier if Robin is already added. And by " a lot of development", you mean getting rid of what we got of Chrom now?

This has already been addressed. From making a considerably easy morgan model with awakening voice clips, from saying "playable!Chrom comes from a different timeline than DLC!Chrom" and not changing anything, to forcing FS!Chrom to use one of Chrom's palette swaps when Chrom is on the field; this is no longer a problem. Damn size changes.

5- I don't see the problem. SMtxFE is a thing too; and SMash DLC would come right on time to promote it (i hope).

Yes, there is plenty of things against Chrom, i won't deny that; but there are ways around every single one of them and there are quite a few things going in Chrom's favor too. If you are here to convince people he isn't likely, news flash: everybody knew that. If you aren't here to help, just get out, simple as that.

Lot of sudden Chrom bashing going on in the support thread all of a sudden.
people seem to think we simply don't know that our movement was born in a world of strife, but still, against the odds, we chose to fight.

there. i already reported my own DP so don't bother....

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm content with this new reveal. Chrom still gets his time to shine and it reflects how, through thick and thin, life and death, his bond with Robin is absolute. It's a nice touch. I'm looking forwad to seeing beautiful blue-haired huzbando show up alongside my pigtailed persona. <3

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

We know the odds are steep, but that's still not an impossibility.

For your points,

-If we're going by what Sakurai said, as his opinion matters most, he outright says that Chrom is popular. So this point is moot.
-This is a point against us, I'll admit. However, given the context, Robin offered more. Robin's in now, so he may have had more time to think about Chrom.
-I've been over this before. We know DLC isn't a guarantee. That's why we laid the groundwork for the movement: for the day that DLC may be confirmed as a thing.
-I disagree. You don't need to retcon things. Chrom can stay in the victory pose and Final Smash...unless he's being played as. Think of Alfonzo. "When Chrom joins the battle, Morgan is in charge of the Final Smash. Morgan: Leave it to me!" Morgan would be wasy to make, as well. Robin just needs a new face and to be a bit shorter, both are not hard to do. And due to the resources being there, I think Chrom can be a prime candidate.
-The fact that there's a chance for DLC makes this a shaky point. And even then, I can definitely see IS making a sequel to Awakening, like they did with Shadow Dragon and Path of Radiance. It's their biggest seller, so I think they'd want to capitalize on it. Not to mention, that game, should it exist, in addition to SMT could really aid Chrom's odds of playability, especially if they develop his abilities a bit more to make his potential more obvious.

That's just my opinion though. I don't like dealing in absolutes, so saying he'd never happen isn't something I agree with.

Last edited:

nintendolover187

Smash Cadet
We know the odds are steep, but that's still not an impossibility.

For your points,

-If we're going by what Sakurai said, as his opinion matters most, he outright says that Chrom is popular. So this point is moot.
-This is a point against us, I'll admit. However, given the context, Robin offered more. Robin's in now, so he may have had more time to think about Chrom.
-I've been over this before. We know DLC isn't a guarantee. That's why we laid the groundwork for the movement: for the day that DLC may be confirmed as a thing.
-I disagree. You don't need to retcon things. Chrom can stay in the victory pose and Final Smash...unless he's being played as. Think of Alfonzo. "When Chrom joins the battle, Morgan is in charge of the Final Smash. Morgan: Leave it to me!" Morgan would be wasy to make, as well. Robin just needs a new face and to be a bit shorter, both are not hard to do. And due to the resources being there, I think Chrom can be a prime candidate.
-The fact that there's a chance for DLC makes this a shaky point. And even then, I can definitely see IS making a sequel to Awakening, like they did with Shadow Dragon and Path of Radiance. It's their biggest seller, so I think they'd want to capitalize on it. Not to mention, that game, should it exist, in addition to SMT could really aid Chrom's odds of playability, especially if they develop his abilities a bit more to make his potential more obvious.

That's just my opinion though. I don't like dealing in absolutes, so saying he'd never happen isn't something I agree with.
I concur with you. No definite answer as it is for dlc but chrom is the number one candidate for dlc

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I concur with you. No definite answer as it is for dlc but chrom is the number one candidate for dlc
Admittedly, number one might be overstating it a wee bit, but there's still no reason that I can think of to say he isn't a viable contender all the same! ^_^

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Number one? Out of all the potential DLC characters, you think Chrom is number one?

I think there are a lot of potential DLC characters that would take priority over Chrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom