• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Losers Finals and Grand Finals were the only two sets I've EVER watched for brawl and I gotta say it was actually pretty exciting. Hats off to Salem and Mew2king.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I felt honored to be a part of this historical event from both the staff and player side. I can't wait till 2014!

:phone:

KageMurphy

Smash Master
This was a lot of fun, I really really wish I got a chance to commentate some of the top 8 matches but I had a great time doing the matches that lead up to it with my boys.

Commentary is where its at, grats to Salem, Apex is the truth!

:017:

SoulPech

Smash Master
Salem did well.
M2K vs Otori and Salem were all great matches to watch.

Was definitely better staying at home and watching compared to going in person and spending $500+
I spent less than 200 dollars for 2 day hotel, hot breakfast, unlimited friendlies, and an experience will last for a long time
Was well worth it.

shoutouts to wendy's wifi

you mean no-fi

Being in that venue was a phenomenal experience, well worth my time and money. I had the time of my life playing as well as watching and screaming from the crowd. Anybody who thinks staying at home was better is horribly mistaken. You do NOT know what you are missing.

Alex Strife, you and your staff are awesome.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I also had a blast. Spent around $200 as well. I couldnt stay standing when finals were on, was getting sick. So I sat in the corner and watched semi clearly from there.

JTsm

Smash Master
Alex Strife and Staff did absolutely amazing for this tournament. And I wasn't there. :awesome:

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I still love playing Brawl, but even I was never THAT attached to watching a tourney stream of it before. I stayed up until 4AM because of the hype.

I missed out on it physically, but that was the very best Brawl tourney I've ever seen.

Ok I fell asleep at some point, just wanna say that I didn't think any of this would happen:
japan got *****
europe got top8
MK isn't first
no ICs/9B in top 8 o_O
ZSS WON
SALEM WON

this guy is pretty good.
^All of these above factors only boosted... the already sheer magnitude of the hype that has befallen APEX 2013. This must be cherish like the international treasure that it is, and be total 200% proof that different major outcomes DO exist.

That there CAN be a non-MK player that wins APEX, and that Japan CAN'T win at everything they go to.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I spent less than 200 dollars for 2 day hotel, hot breakfast, unlimited friendlies, and an experience will last for a long time
Was well worth it.
We live exponentially farther, so travel costs are higher.
It wasn't worth it for us because of the expenses.

Being in that venue was a phenomenal experience, well worth my time and money. I had the time of my life playing as well as watching and screaming from the crowd. Anybody who thinks staying at home was better is horribly mistaken. You do NOT know what you are missing.
I went last year. I'm pretty sure I knew what I wasn't experiencing, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that being here at home, watching it on livestream, was infinitely more enjoyable. :applejack:

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I still love playing Brawl, but even I was never THAT attached to watching a tourney stream of it before. I stayed up until 4AM because of the hype.

I missed out on it physically, but that was the very best Brawl tourney I've ever seen.

^All of these above factors only boosted... the already sheer magnitude of the hype that has befallen APEX 2013. This must be cherish like the international treasure that it is, and be total 200% proof that different major outcomes DO exist.

That there CAN be a non-MK player that wins APEX, and that Japan CAN'T win at everything they go to.
Fun fact. MK has only won Apex once so the idea that it has to be an MK is absurd (not saying you said this). Yes MK is broken as ****, but he's completely beatable. People who really think he should be banned isn't is just super salty and a whiner.

Shoutouts to Salem obviously. There were a lot of people who could've won Apex (M2K, Ally, ESAM, Nairo, Otori, etc.) and I doubt Salem was on many people's lists. Congrats on a well earned win. If anyone is salty, **** them.

Also shoutouts to Alex Strife for hosting an amazing tournament. Really wish I could've stayed on Sunday, but I enjoyed being a stream monster that day. Your tournaments are always amazing and i'm looking forward to Apex 2014.

I loved the days I was there. Especially being from NJ, I saw a lot of people who I haven't seen since like Apex 2010 (Diem, Ksizzle, JG, etc.). I loved seeing all of them and it was a very enjoyable experience.

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
Was well worth it.
Which hotel did you stay in?

This event was a BLAST! Gotta do this again next year :3
Shoutouts to:

Alex Strife
Crismas
DJ Nintendo
Warrior Knight (Thanks for signing the bowser, guys :D)
D1
Darkpeach
And to everyone who attended from NY but I didn't get a chance to see ya! (You know who you are.)

FYI:
I got a lot requests from smashers that wanted the t-shirts, stickers, and posters but didn't know about my link so I'm gonna extend the request until the end of January. I'll be mailing everything in Feb except for those that requested during the Apex event. Ya'll be getting them earlier. So if ya'll interested drop me a line.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329862

SoulPech

Smash Master
Fun fact. MK has only won Apex once so the idea that it has to be an MK is absurd (not saying you said this). Yes MK is broken as ****, but he's completely beatable. People who really think he should be banned isn't is just super salty and a whiner.
I was gonna say that Mk only won once, but the thing is that in every MK legal tourney, the top 10 always has like 6 or 7 MKs in them (i.e top 5 are 4 MKs) and MK ban I feel bring more variety and gameplay to the community. I'm not like "UGH I CAN'T BEAT MK HE SHOULD BE BANNED". I couldn't care less if he's banned or not. I'm gonna stop right here so that the thread doesn't derail to another MK pro/anti ban topic.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Which hotel did you stay in?

This event was a BLAST! Gotta do this again next year :3
Shoutouts to:

Alex Strife
Crismas
DJ Nintendo
Warrior Knight (Thanks for signing the bowser, guys :D)
D1
Darkpeach
And to everyone who attended from NY but I didn't get a chance to see ya! (You know who you are.)

FYI:
I got a lot requests from smashers that wanted the t-shirts, stickers, and posters but didn't know about my link so I'm gonna extend the request until the end of January. I'll be mailing everything in Feb except for those that requested during the Apex event. Ya'll be getting them earlier. So if ya'll interested drop me a line.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329862

I stayed at Motel 6 with 3 other ppl. it was 74/night and gas was roughly 40/person.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Hey, Pech. How long did you stay at APEX?

Out of the entire carpool you had, I only saw Ori in the ClashTournaments stream, and that was just on Saturday.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Yo can anyone link me to the online store of the girl who was selling hats and scarves and stuff? I bought 2 hats and 2 scarves from her this year but I have a friend who would totally love a dedede hat

oksas

oak-sauce
i member you man, i recorded a few matches

melee top 8 was so exciting to watch, so glad i shelled out all that money to attend apex

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
That kbrad overlay was godlike too

I can't wait for the results thread. Mother of all shoutouts

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Brawl is a hard game to run because it takes so effin long.
it really isn't IMO. it takes the TO to step the **** up and realize that the game cannot be run effectively on 3 stocks, and never should have been. if you think that's "difficult" then I guess it is, but i don't agree.
2 stock, 8 minute timer would have made this tournament much more efficient. the entire weekend at this tournament (and literally every tournament I have attended that Brawl was also there) Brawl was behind schedule when it was being run as efficiently as possible. this isn't a TOing/efficiency problem, this is a problem with the logistics of the ruleset itself. this is unacceptable and if your community wants your game to last, it will realize that 3 stocks is not a good idea for the future.
although TBH the majority of the people in your community will drop Brawl as soon as Smash 4 is released, so making the game last is not on the agenda for most of you. the type of people competitive brawl appeals to are those that like the concept of competitive smash, not the game specifically or how it facilitates competitive play, and smash 4 will have that and more regardless of how weak or strong it is as a competitive game.

good luck brawl community

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yes as efficiently as possible.... What are you talking about???

Brawl was hype as ****, so I don't see the ruleset as a problem at all in regards to the game surviving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom