• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I hope there will be P:M. I wanna show people that the Brawl half of Pikachu is broken too
And the UK melee scene wants to come out in full force for a P:M national...It's actually replaced melee in the UK completely, which is weird considering that P:M doesnt work in PAL

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
...However all we hear on the news around that time is how passenger liners are grounded for days at a time because of blizzards, which would utterly ruin any holiday plans for me :/

Correct me if Im wrong, but thats what I remember happened in the last few years around new years at JFK etc.
Blizzards can occur, but the worse of it is usually is in February. And whats wrong with a Winter Wonderland for the holidays?? :D

Not touching that game until kirby becomes playable.
:( The game is alot of fun! It's also really cool seeing a fan's perspective on how a character's move set should be (the changes to Lucario and Snake are really cool!)

Shout outs to the creators of Project:M! They put in alot of work and effort.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Yeah, which is why I already said that I'd probably not attend.

I'd also I advise most lower level players not attend this, I think it's quite clear that Apex doesn't care about us.
Everyone takes their lumps. Players didn't come to their first tournament and dominate. Even those that spend days upon days upon days practicing tech skill in their basements didn't have a full skillset.

You develop that skillset in tournaments. You take your lumps. You can ask anyone who remembers my early days after I got over the fear of even entering singles, I carried around a notebook and took notes after every set. Wrote down wisdom from players that were better and worse than me.

That's one thing that you get at a national the scale of an Apex or a Genesis. You get a wide breadth of styles, experiences, etc. from players worldwide. You get a chance to meet people who've you modeled your style from and ask them about decisions, move choices, etc. to understand logic and commit that to memory in addition to percents and situations.

And for me now, the community (for the most part) is such a great group of individuals, being able to hang out and meet all of these people (some of which I consider family at this point) is fantastic. I can't talk you into going, but I will say that it can appeal to anyone from the person just learning how to wave dash to a top 5 player trying to prove that they are the best.

My $.02.

M@v

Subarashii!
Also, just watching can make you better. If you are watching somebody in your pool and they do something, ask them about it after the match so you can gain insight on the mental part of Smash (Which is by far the most important). You would be surprised how far a little smarts can take you.
To add onto this, once you reach a certain point, smash completely becomes a mental game, and it can a lot harder to improve. The only other thing that can make you better at high levels is perfecting any sort of errors in tech skill and buffering.

Another huge one is nerves. Being able to not be nervous in big matches is an extremely important part of getting better, but its also a hard thing to "practice" other than playing in lots of tourneys. This personally cost me at SKTAR and in Round 2 pools at APEX. I play like *** when im nervous.

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
Another huge one is nerves. Being able to not be nervous in big matches is an extremely important part of getting better, but its also a hard thing to "practice" other than playing in lots of tourneys. This personally cost me at SKTAR and in Round 2 pools at APEX. I play like *** when im nervous.
Nerves kills everyone!! I like to think I'm better than I perform at tournaments, cause my nerves really just mess my whole thought process up. I can do well in a friendly situation (without sandbagging from anyone) but as soon as it comes to a tournament match...I choke up and play like doo doo!! Straight butt cheeks!!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Nerves can be a mixed bag, a little bit of nerves would help to keep you at optimal mental and physical attributes (i.e: adrenaline boost) but too much will just screw everything up

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
Nerves can be a mixed bag, a little bit of nerves would help to keep you at optimal mental and physical attributes (i.e: adrenaline boost) but too much will just screw everything up
someone will always be better than the people that think with your mindset, so you've been doomed from the start.

TOURNAMENTS don't need to care about the bourgeois. players need to.
So I had this whole conversation with Vinnie yesterday about me not performing well in tournaments. And he pretty much said to me that I need to have goals when going to tournaments. "Not getting 2 stocked and taking people to last stock last hit" was my original 'goal' that I said.
He then said "No, that isn't a goal. A real goal is placing in top 16 while using your main 100% of the time. Cause with that mentality, your chances of winning are greater! Cause if Player X goes in with the thought 'I'm not gunna get 2 stocked in bracket' vs Player Y going in with 'I'm going to f'ing WIN!' Player Y is going to beat Player X just with mentality alone!"
True words of wisdom from one of North America's top level players!

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
So I had this whole conversation with Vinnie yesterday about me not performing well in tournaments. And he pretty much said to me that I need to have goals when going to tournaments. "Not getting 2 stocked and taking people to last stock last hit" was my original 'goal' that I said.
He then said "No, that isn't a goal. A real goal is placing in top 16 while using your main 100% of the time. Cause with that mentality, your chances of winning are greater! Cause if Player X goes in with the thought 'I'm not gunna get 2 stocked in bracket' vs Player Y going in with 'I'm going to f'ing WIN!' Player Y is going to beat Player X just with mentality alone!"
True words of wisdom from one of North America's top level players!
I used to have really bad panic attacks (though i don't think you can have a good panic attack so that was probably redundant *shrugs*) while playing. Imo though it's better to not think about winning because it adds to the stress/nerves. Better to just be playing to learn and have fun and grow not really to win (winnings always nice though). Usually when i try to win in tourney I tend to tunnel vision A LOT and then i start shaking and play worse than i do normally and feel like i'm gonna puke :) The playing to learn was something my boyfriend told me tho~

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
It's not about going in with the mentality to only wanting to win. People who know me, know that I am the first one to have fun at a tourney. The mentality is more of a want. You want to win (cause thats why we are competitive gamers) so the person who wants to win vs the person who doesnt want to get bodied, the person who wants to win...will probably win.
When it comes down to it, this game (after reaching the top level of skill) is really all about mind games and having the right mentality! But, if you are not having fun playing (winning or losing) you shouldn't be playing at all!!

3 Rules I tell Vinnie to remember before each tournament match:
1. Don't Trip
2. Don't Drop Grabs
3. Have Fun!!

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
"I always used to tell my players that we are here to win! And you know what, Al? When you don't win, you lose." - John Madden

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
"And he's gonna flank here, and find the pocket then...BOOM!! Straight into the endzone for a touchdown" - Generic John Madden commentary

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
"Well, when you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football." - a football

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
"Winnie the Poop, imo" - infinitev115

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
that doesn't make sense, if the V is capitalized then the 115 should be capitalized too.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
By the time this tournament comes, I plan to be the best sonic player in the country.

Someone team with me. I play a very solid support game

:phone:
Good to know. Ill talk to justin and see if we can arrange something ;)

@dewda. how do you figure? when it comes to discussing characters i dont know or care about, that might be the case at times. but I think youd be hard pressed to find a sonic player that knows me that says i fit that description.
He does the opposite lol

By the time this tournament comes, I plan to be the best sonic player in the country.

Someone team with me. I play a very solid support game

:phone:
Not happening as long as I have anything to say about that #NotTrollin

(EH, I'll jus do my best @ least)

:sonic:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
because you're flying 30000 feet in the air at 300-400 mph, all while surviving. thats why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom