• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xFats

Smash Apprentice
I coulda sworn this is APEX. The biggest smash tournament.
You've had a year to train and "learn". This is where you apply those skills you have.

Stop. Crying.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Before anyone posts, some simple statement that some of you can't seem to grasp.
There Aren't Enough TVs, Wiis and GCs For Pools. END POINT.

If your good, you'll make bracket no matter what. The bracket pools are pretty well balanced IMO. If your border-line good, then gl to you. Realize that this is competion, and there is no catering. Do what you have you do to win or else, theres no way around it. And this is Apex which is testing the BEST of the BEST. Expect high-level competition, and prepare(which you should have already done if you truly care).
Well I agree here. I am probably borderline in terms of my melee "bracket" so I have chances.

On another note, is Bones the only person arguing still against bracket pools when they were announced countless times before? There would not be enough setups to run pools efficiently. If there was a 128 man cap, sure, run pools and make it so the few that could go can play as many pool matches as possible. But then, only 128 people.

This is the largest melee and I think 2nd largest brawl turnout ever, at the same tournament, with people playing in both games, along with massive numbers of doubles teams as well as smash 64 with a record turnout and all of the FGC's. This is one of the largest tournaments ever put on.

Honestly, if this was EVO or something sponsored where 96 TV's were guaranteed for each event, yeah, he could have confirmed pools months ago instead. But it isn't close to the scale of EVO or of even MLG and others. This is a tournament based in an originally grassroots community (you were here in 2005, you knew what it was like) with some TVs coming in from sponsors and that is it. If melee and brawl people stepped it up, we would have enough TV's.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
There Aren't Enough TVs, Wiis and GCs For Pools. END POINT.
real talk (yes this is a serious post omg so wow), this is the only good argument against low-level players getting a decent number of games in

No_Skillz

Smash Apprentice
did u even read my earlier post? more setups (i think) and less people (at least for brawl) compared to last apex, RR pools wouldve been doable, hope u get it this time i hate having to repeat myself.

phish-it

Smash Champion
A new player that will go 0-2 in Bracket pools now is no different from last years format. In a pool of 5 where top 2 advance, once you've lost your two sets any remaining matches in the pool are redundant to you. You have nothing to gain from winning them so they are essentially just friendlies against the better player. If anything an amateur bracket is more than enough to get new players moneys worth out of the event, but in this case where 200 players and change are eliminated after pools it won't be practical.

Bracket pools are a new experience and its worth giving them a shot. Complain about not having a good experience after the event, not before.

No_Skillz

Smash Apprentice
A new player that will go 0-2 in Bracket pools now is no different from last years format. In a pool of 5 where top 2 advance, once you've lost your two sets any remaining matches in the pool are redundant to you. You have nothing to gain from winning them so they are essentially just friendlies against the better player. If anything an amateur bracket is more than enough to get new players moneys worth out of the event, but in this case where 200 players and change are eliminated after pools it won't be practical.

Bracket pools are a new experience and its worth giving them a shot. Complain about not having a good experience after the event, not before.
thats where the learning factor comes in, to get full pool results ull still have to play at least 2 more sets

W.C.N

Smash Lord
Skills reread Alex post about set ups and time it would not work here

:phone:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
thats where the learning factor comes in, to get full pool results ull still have to play at least 2 more sets
People played joke sets at the previous apex if they were guaranteed to advance. In blunt simple terms, they did not care anymore and these sets do not help new players at all and if anything just installed more ego to the top players. Having random people play potentially 2 more sets does not justify another probable 6 hours of play if not more and the potential repeat of having the opposite of hype at the end of the previous Apex when everything was rushed and we missed some things as well.

You want to learn? Play friendlies. Play Money matches. There are threads for both. Go to other tournaments if you wish to play everyone.

We aren't your parents. The tournament is not democratic. This tournament is not fair for everyone. The good people advance and that is what matters as we are playing for thousands of dollars. Be happy to be there unlike the others who wish they could go even if they knew that they had no chances.

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
While the TO's need to do what they gotta do, I support Bones. As someone who already shelled out their money to go to a tournament having somewhat questionable pools, it's just kind of depressing.

Yeah I'm a new player. Yeah I'm not /that/ great, but I'm decent at the very least. Yeah there was a full year to practice for a tournament, but it's just kind of a letdown for people like me yearning to get better and hoping to have a small glimmer of hope to share a shot in through limelight.

People won't get better getting 2 and outed. The only people who benefit, and will continue to benefit are the four pre-bracket seeded players.

Not looking to start an argument, or get proved wrong or trashtalked. Still going to play hard and go down swinging at this. I still respect the entire staff. I'm still hyped and VERY GLAD I can go to this. It's just not easy or fun for people like me who enjoy playing and getting better, to hardly have a chance at proving themselves.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
**** this emo bull****, i'm gonna knock some heads with ganondorf and once i'm out of the tournament, i'll knock some more heads with ganondorf cuz there will be time for friendlies.

bracket pools are the ****. you beat people and you advance. it's not single elim for ****s sake...

edit: also glad that you don't hit the bracket on losers side if you make it from losers. starting from a fresh bracket is nice.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I'm surprised no one has posted something like this yet.

For all the people who are complaining.

Stay salty.

For all the people actually thinking before they post, keep on keeping on.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If your good, you'll make bracket no matter what. The bracket pools are pretty well balanced IMO. If your border-line good, then gl to you. Realize that this is competion, and there is no catering. Do what you have you do to win or else, theres no way around it.

And this is Apex which is testing the BEST of the BEST. Expect high-level competition, and be prepared.

Like I said, I will probably get my money's worth. This is not some rant because I want more matches for myself. Just because this is a competition doesn't mean there isn't catering. The whole event is catering. TOs cater to the players. They are providing a service for cash; that's how it works. If TOs want to increase entrants, they should take care of the lower skilled players who pot fill despite having no incentive outside of getting in some fun tournament matches.

edit: i quoted this because it makes 100% sense.

HOLY **** THIS IS REAL. WHY ARE YOU SMASH BABIES ALWAYS FINDING SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT? HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER BEEN A T O DEALING WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOURSELVES? THAT'S HORRIBLE! I seriously hope that doesn't happen to you because you might just hurt yourself from the rage.

Stop complaining about everything. Last year "not enough friendlies" this year "not enough tournament matches"

tha ***.
I've TOed multiple tournaments (for Melee as well as other games), so I have a pretty keen grasp on the difficulty in balancing catering to the top players as well as the lesser skilled players. Raise entries too high and the newbies don't want to enter. Lower them too much and top players have no incentive to attend (which in turn means lower players won't attend because they want to play the good players).

Last year's complaint was completely warranted considering an entire day was cancelled for Melee friendlies. If you don't think that was one of the biggest tournament flops in Smash history, you're delusional. I'm attending this Apex because I have met Alex and I know he's the kind of guy to learn from that kind of mistake instead of brushing it aside as if people just feel like complaining for no reason.

Bones: Sorry, I'm not going to requote posts if you can't read. When you fail to realize that time is such a factor and how it was a huge problem last APEX, then you don't have a ****ing clue.

If the APEX team had the ****ing time to do RR pools, then they would, but they just can't. And they said this MONTHS ago. So don't complain when you should have informed yourself before-hand.
I never suggested Apex should do RR pools this year. I stated quite clearly that I realized it is too late to rework the schedule to allow for different pools. Clearly you didn't read the part of my post where I also explained that even without RR pools, you can still do other things to provide extra sets for players who get knocked out early. Even with just a few days before Apex, I don't think it'd be hard to implement a simple amateur bracket for those who get knocked out really early. You just run it during the meat of the brackets when only the top 48 or so players are still in the tournament.

Even if it doesn't end up happening, that doesn't change the fact that I'm right about bracket pools being awful. If everyone was saying "yeah, bracket pools suck, but the rest of the event will be awesome" I'd be satisfied. Instead, I see people suggesting that this format is acceptable or even preferable to regular pools because it makes more time for friendlies or something.

Also, I was informed about the bracket pools beforehand. I knew when I registered and have been upset about them since. I guess I'm just one of those people that enters every tournament because he loves Melee and would rather burn $30 if it means a bit more hype for the finals. Not everyone feels that way, however, so trying to implement bracket pools at future events is just an awful idea no matter how much time it saves. I'd get rid of the crew battles before I continue to make bad players pay $15 per tourney set for only 2 sets the entire weekend.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
This whole thread is QQing. This is Strife's tourney, let him do as he sees fit. If you don't like it, don't come. If you can't comprehend that, tough ****.

xFats

Smash Apprentice
I've TOed multiple tournaments (for Melee as well as other games), so I have a pretty keen grasp on the difficulty in balancing catering to the top players as well as the lesser skilled players. Raise entries too high and the newbies don't want to enter. Lower them too much and top players have no incentive to attend (which in turn means lower players won't attend because they want to play the good players).

Last year's complaint was completely warranted considering an entire day was cancelled for Melee friendlies. If you don't think that was one of the biggest tournament flops in Smash history, you're delusional. I'm attending this Apex because I have met Alex and I know he's the kind of guy to learn from that kind of mistake instead of brushing it aside as if people just feel like complaining for no reason.
So you've dealt with people who want their "Money's worth"? I don't understand man.
Why are you complaining bracket pools.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I wanna say it again but it'd be dope if Strife set up a get Melee into Evo fund at Apex for the people who can't use credit cards.

JTsm

Smash Master

I never suggested Apex should do RR pools this year. I stated quite clearly that I realized it is too late to rework the schedule to allow for different pools. Clearly you didn't read the part of my post where I also explained that even without RR pools, you can still do other things to provide extra sets for players who get knocked out early. Even with just a few days before Apex, I don't think it'd be hard to implement a simple amateur bracket for those who get knocked out really early. You just run it during the meat of the brackets when only the top 48 or so players are still in the tournament.

Even if it doesn't end up happening, that doesn't change the fact that I'm right about bracket pools being awful. If everyone was saying "yeah, bracket pools suck, but the rest of the event will be awesome" I'd be satisfied. Instead, I see people suggesting that this format is acceptable or even preferable to regular pools because it makes more time for friendlies or something.

Also, I was informed about the bracket pools beforehand. I knew when I registered and have been upset about them since. I guess I'm just one of those people that enters every tournament because he loves Melee and would rather burn $30 if it means a bit more hype for the finals. Not everyone feels that way, however, so trying to implement bracket pools at future events is just an awful idea no matter how much time it saves. I'd get rid of the crew battles before I continue to make bad players pay $15 per tourney set for only 2 sets the entire weekend.
When you read how things aren't going to change, then there's no point in arguing something that's already been said and done MONTHS ago.

Ok. Bracket pools are never successful. SKTAR was a terrible event since the results were skewed in a way that ruined the tournament.... owait.

I'm going to say this again, don't like it? WELP.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Spoilers:

If you are bad enough to seriously worry about going 0-2, you won't actually learn playing players that are substantially better than you, what we would say is "Stop doing stuff wrong." If you are at the point where you can actually learn from top player advice (That you can't just PM a question through smashboards) then you won't get 0-2'd so it is actually helpful.

Super scrubs are UNEHLPABLE besides telling them that they will eventually get better if they put in enough time and effort. WHAT ELSE CAN YOU POSSIBLY TELL THEM?!? You have 17 different habits that are all terrible and stop? It's how they learned the games. If they don't have the fundamentals they can't build off of ANYTHING for ANY type of useful knowledge.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
In case it doesn't get mentioned, just a heads up that pools 7 and 11 got switched with 31 and 32 in the schedule because of staff obligations.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Spoilers:

If you are bad enough to seriously worry about going 0-2, you won't actually learn playing players that are substantially better than you, what we would say is "Stop doing stuff wrong." If you are at the point where you can actually learn from top player advice (That you can't just PM a question through smashboards) then you won't get 0-2'd so it is actually helpful.

Super scrubs are UNEHLPABLE besides telling them that they will eventually get better if they put in enough time and effort. WHAT ELSE CAN YOU POSSIBLY TELL THEM?!? You have 17 different habits that are all terrible and stop? It's how they learned the games. If they don't have the fundamentals they can't build off of ANYTHING for ANY type of useful knowledge.
I suppose it's a side note but at least in my experience, it wouldn't just be for trying to get better, it'd also be to meet the top players and see what they're like as people. I know it'd be a dream come true if I got to meet the world's best.

That's why I want everyone going to know how lucky they are. Try to enjoy it as much as you can, we don't all get this opportunity. Course, most of you probably already know that. :)

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
My Columbus team is heading out to New Jersey Thursday night. Unfortunately, I can't go with them due to low cash to pay for everything. Once Apex is done, though, I'm gonna make a comeback with some other tourneys.

For that, I wish to my team the best of luck, and to have a great time at APEX. Hopefully I'll be able to go next year.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
My Columbus team is heading out to New Jersey Thursday night. Unfortunately, I can't go with them due to low cash to pay for everything. Once Apex is done, though, I'm gonna make a comeback with some other tourneys.

For that, I wish to my team the best of luck, and to have a great time at APEX. Hopefully I'll be able to go next year.
That OH swag. Is Abu or Hanky coming?

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
Like I said, I will probably get my money's worth. This is not some rant because I want more matches for myself. Just because this is a competition doesn't mean there isn't catering. The whole event is catering. TOs cater to the players. They are providing a service for cash; that's how it works. If TOs want to increase entrants, they should take care of the lower skilled players who pot fill despite having no incentive outside of getting in some fun tournament matches.

tldr; "I'm bad and I need compensation for being bad" :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom