• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

clubbadubba

Smash Master
It gives more matches than straight to bracket, less than RR pools. Drawback in terms of number of matches, advantage in terms of excitement of matches and in time necessary.

I'd recommend not going to Apex just for the tournament matches. The rest of the time is the best part.

Also don't get too wrapped up in quantity of matches. In pool play you will always play some games against people that you will stomp that probably can't even z cancel. Those are not games worth worrying about missing, trust me. In an 8 man pool, playing 6-8 is probably not worth the time.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
As has been said before making it into bracket is a privileged not a right.
S Tier players at Apex: (4/5)
Isai
Boom
Ruoka Danchon
Moyashi
Maybe the 3rd Japanese player

A Tier: (12/13)
JaimeHR
Tacos
Sensei
A$
Kefit
Kerokeroppi
Captain Tavo
Mariguas
Dext3r
Sheermadness
Star King (Keyboard)
Firo
YBombb
+ maybe a couple I missed
S + A tier total: ~15-20

I might have missed a couple names, but really only S and A tier players deserve to get into bracket.
That means that people who have no business getting into bracket (Not S or A tier) WILL get into bracket anyway.

I don't think 32 is stingy at all.

Edit: replaced Tirolargo with Dext3r, thanks Solo
To have a bracket of only the top players would make alot of hype games. I hope really hope we do pools this year.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
It gives more matches than straight to bracket, less than RR pools. Drawback in terms of number of matches, advantage in terms of excitement of matches and in time necessary.

I'd recommend not going to Apex just for the tournament matches. The rest of the time is the best part.

Also don't get too wrapped up in quantity of matches. In pool play you will always play some games against people that you will stomp that probably can't even z cancel. Those are not games worth worrying about missing, trust me. In an 8 man pool, playing 6-8 is probably not worth the time.
of course I'm not just going for the tourney matches. But they are important to me. If my understanding of bracket pools is correct then it doesn't actually create any more matches.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
of course I'm not just going for the tourney matches. But they are important to me. If my understanding of bracket pools is correct then it doesn't actually create any more matches.
It creates more matches if you make it out of pools because everyone starts bracket in winners regardless of if you came second in your pool.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
It creates more matches if you make it out of pools because everyone starts bracket in winners regardless of if you came second in your pool.

Yeah but for players who don't make it out of pools (the majority), it's the same number of matches as if it was just a giant bracket.

Oh well, better than no pools at all.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
see i was under the impression that pools would be done exactly how they were done at zenith. is this not the case?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
kay. nvm. **** melee and brawl, give us RR. it's only fair to have something that they don't, right? considering they've had pools for a decade and we've had them at one tournament.

Maliki

Smash Ace
We should just commit a genocide on the melee and brawl community's,project m can stay and so can m2k he can watch as we do it.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
even a good old fashioned 60 stock is likely to take > 20 minutes and most likely 30 minutes lol.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I need a badass doubles partner for Apex. Does anyone else out there need a badass doubles partner?

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Jel and I have plane tickets now. We're flying in Wednesday the 15th and out on Monday the 20th. Yes, we're actually going to be around for longer than the the shortest amount of time possible! Amazing, I know.

Really looking forward to all the Smash I'll be able to get in. I miss high level Smash :<

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Me and Kefit will be coming 100% for sure this year. Next step for us is to sign up. Cant wait to play smash with everyone again :) Also we are staying much longer this time!!!

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Me and Kefit will be coming 100% for sure this year. Next step for us is to sign up. Cant wait to play smash with everyone again :) Also we are staying much longer this time!!!
The presence of keyboards didn't deter you huh

clubbadubba

Smash Master
no pete and tank team?

Speaking of which I'm looking to keep my streak 2nd place in teams alive. I know it might be a bit tougher at Apex but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Lookin for a partner, Jiggs or Falcon preferred, Pikachu is fine also.

(In other words, yes I am going, and yes if there are multiple KB setups, I plan on taking on of em and getting seeded Nintendude lol)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
just regged even though i am not sure if there ir room (aka looking for room for 1 night, only there on sat/sun

The Star King

Smash Hero
:|

don't make me feel guilty :'(

Killer and I are both keyboard-wielding fake smashers who started young and are at a similar skill level. We're pretty much dated together.

anyway what are the odds we both show up?

edit: lol perfect typo, keeping it

Top Bottom