• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Power Rankings and Brawl Social Thread (Updated: November 2013)

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I like money more lol

actually... yeah I can be down for $5 on things, and then APRDs are $10 with payout to 8th

but again, we may have to change on the fly if an APRD has a surprisingly low # of entrants

Jane

Smash Hero
lets just do that. its the middle ground - $5 tourneys except the very last ones of the season, and in that tourney only, payout to top 8

Jar'd

Smash Ace
I thought we discussed payouts before. But either way, even as someone who loves money, I think paying out to top 8 is ridiculous. To be honest, if you placed 7th, you don't deserve anything. Maybe the boost to your ego (if that's what 7th would do for you), but you sure as hell don't deserve money, especially when it's taking money from people who had to work significantly harder than you to place in a "meaningful" position.

I'd say 5$ for regular tournaments and payout to however it is, and APRD 10$ payout to top 5.

k9.

Smash Ace
If you want things to stay the same. (0 votes)

If you want 10$ but we pay out to top 8. (1 votes) Darklink

Or you want 5$ entry fee. (2 votes) Okami, Derp,

5$ but 10$ on APRD and we pay out to top 8 (4 votes) GV7, Rave, Nyte, Jane

@Jard this is a different idea.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
The last idea involved paying out to something crazy like top 8, and it's still as bad of an idea now as it was then.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Luckily next tourney is technically an APRD, so we can still keep it at $10 as planned haha.

[COLLAPSE="Quick PR character update:"]Guaranteed PR:
Darklink: Isaac (Golden Sun) or Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Darkshifter: Professor E. Gadd (Luigi's Mansion)
GV7: Goemon
KiraFlax: King K. Rool
K9:
Silly Kyle:
Stevo:
Yummy: Bowser Jr.

Possible PR/Challengers Approaching:
Airvault: Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)
Derpdaberp: Rayman
Jane: Conker
Moo: Ray MK III (Custom Robo)
Nicknyte: Groose (Skyward Sword)
RaveRemix: Andy (Advance Wars)
SmileyFace: Little Mac (Punchout)
TommyDerMeister:
Yoshiken: Zoroark (Pokemon)
Wafty:

(Note: being in the Challengers Approaching list above does not guarantee a spot in the final PR image, this is only a projected list of who will make it)[/COLLAPSE]

Duff0

Smash Ace
imo:

3rd: entry fee
2nd: entry fee times 2
1st: the rest

5$ entry fee imo

i dont even know if you guys are still talking about this because i havent read the last page but yeah

k9.

Smash Ace

Or you want 5$ entry fee. (2 votes) Okami, Derp,Duff0

5$ but 10$ on APRD and we pay out to top 8 (5 votes) GV7, Rave, Nyte, Jane, Yummy!

JustinKamikaze

Smash Ace
good games to Chris/Bryce/Kevin/K9/Yummy you guys are sooooo good.

sorry for missing the tourney though. anybody who has me on fb should know why I couldn't make it! <3 you guys forever and ever and I shall return in the summer.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I thought we discussed payouts before. But either way, even as someone who loves money, I think paying out to top 8 is ridiculous. To be honest, if you placed 7th, you don't deserve anything. Maybe the boost to your ego (if that's what 7th would do for you), but you sure as hell don't deserve money, especially when it's taking money from people who had to work significantly harder than you to place in a "meaningful" position.

I'd say 5$ for regular tournaments and payout to however it is, and APRD 10$ payout to top 5.
Well I think the idea someone pointed out before was to influence the mediocre to try harder simply because it's easier to get 8th than 1st. Competition in general can heat up when incentive is not so out of reach

Or you want 5$ entry fee. (2 votes) Okami, Derp,Duff0

5$ but 10$ on APRD and we pay out to top 8 (5 votes) GV7, Rave, Nyte, Jane, Yummy!
I voted for the last one with rave and them

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I understand both sides of the argument.

As a occasional brawler/melee enthusiast, when I come to the tournaments I feel no real need to win money. I don't try my hardest to get money, because to be frank, I'm not that great. I do try my hardest when I fight, but its not like I am here in Sierra Vista, training for the next tournament because I might win some money. I know it seems like having prices outside the main 3 places seems like coddling sucky players, but its more about the incentive that drives mediocre players to actually give a ****. This makes competition fierce and makes good for a strong competitive community.

Top 3 is good, but after a while, the less skilled players will just be like "Oh, I'm just going to hang out with friends. I am sure DL/Kira/Silly Kyle will win. I have nothing much more to look forward than that except to keep trying to get better." Add a little incentive, and it becomes "I HAVE A GOAL TO REACH, AND EVEN IF IT'S SCRAP CHANGE, I AM ACTUALLY WINNING SOMETHING WORTH FIGHTING FOR.

With that, I only think APRD's deserve a multi payout past 3.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I don't really care.

I will go with 5, though, because I often talk with the the new players in the tucson scene and they usually feel iffy about 10 buck entries but say they'd feel better if it was 5.

Personally i'm really loose with money and all 5 bucks is not eating at subway one day at work, which isn't that hard for me because i'm a stick figure

Down for whatever, but I vote for 5.

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
5 dollar entry fee and payout to top 5 is my vote, unless tournaments are under 20 people, then make payout less than top 5, even if thats not one of the options haha.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Off-topic: Jonny, I remeber watching you updating someone's playlist with the first cd of the Boondocks mixtape. Are the other two CDs worth downloading as well?

k9.

Smash Ace

If you want 10$ but we pay out to top 8. (3 votes) Darklink, KiraFlax, K9

Or you want 5$ entry fee. (2 votes) Okami,Duff0

5$ but 10$ on APRD and we pay out to top 8 (7 votes) GV7, Rave, Nyte, Jane, Yummy!, Derp. smiley

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm good with the $5/$10 one. I think I'm going to try paying out lower on the Melee side of things. Also considering doing a discount for Brawl players entering Melee (like $3 instead of $5).

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Due to the economic situations of my friends, I would prefer a 5$ entry fee. Payoutwise, top 8 sounds great to me. The feel that the money is that close would really inspire me, I'll ask my friends who might start attending more often what they think too, but I'm petty confident that they would say the same.

:phone:

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Presuming that the $5 Singles entry fee goes into effect (which it seems like it will), are we also going to change the entry fee of Doubles (or side tourneys in general)?

I'm kinda okay with Doubles remaining at $5 per person. Even if some people think that price is too high, I still think it'll be okay as those people will probably still come for the main event (Singles). Also this way, the people who usually gain a lot of profit from tournaments can still obtain it through this (comparatively) high Doubles entry fee.

k9.

Smash Ace
Presuming that the $5 Singles entry fee goes into effect (which it seems like it will), are we also going to change the entry fee of Doubles (or side tourneys in general)?

I'm kinda okay with Doubles remaining at $5 per person. Even if some people think that price is too high, I still think it'll be okay as those people will probably still come for the main event (Singles). Also this way, the people who usually gain a lot of profit from tournaments can still obtain it through this (comparatively) high Doubles entry fee.
Doubles is staying at 5$.

Those were fun to watch. SK misses so many opportunities to be aggressive, probably since he doesn't understand the timing and spacing of Rob. But those were really solid wins by Kevin. But FOW's falco ****** you up lol. He is really good.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
My vote goes to 5$ but 10$ on APRD and we pay out to top 8 :p
I still want Doubles to remain at $5 though.

Good sh*t in Vegas by the way Shawn/Kevin, way to rep AZ hard.

Top Bottom