• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

Skootur

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. Trying to get back into Smash after years away. Who is in NWA and down for some friendlies? I'm also looking to get involved with tournament and crew battle organization.

Has anyone seen or heard of this place "Gamers Only" in Bentonville. Possible place for some GREAT events.

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Trying to get back into Smash after years away. Who is in NWA and down for some friendlies? I'm also looking to get involved with tournament and crew battle organization.

Has anyone seen or heard of this place "Gamers Only" in Bentonville. Possible place for some GREAT events.
There will be a good number of Smashers at Melee Waylay at TradeWind on College on the 31st. So you can come and meet people and play friendlies even if you don't want to participate in tournament.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1407440312866666/

Typically, there is a group that plays friendlies at Galaxy Games on Sunset in Springdale around 4 every Saturday. There also people who play in NWACC regularly and several people at the U of A who do impromptu metetups. I may be trying to do another meetup sometime as well (though the Galaxy Games one is the most consistent). Show up to the tourney and you will meet plenty of people to find practice and schedule things with. Good to hear, more people in NWA are getting serious. There is a Fort Smith meetup group forming as well, which means the whole of NWA is slowly dotting itself a smash scene.

There a lot of Smashers in Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, and Ft.Smith, but there are still a large portion of them either new, PM only, or don't come out frequently.

Edit: Just some info on people.

Last edited:

Skootur

Smash Rookie
I hate that I'll be missing Melee Waylay, but I'll definitely be around for other things. I'll try and turn up for Smash on Saturdays.
Definitely looking forward to finding some practice partners. Haven't played enough to be good since around 2006-2008, so I've got a lot to brush up on.

soulster

Smash Rookie
I wish there was more smash in Little Rock cuz some friends really wanna hit up some tournaments and play some friendlies with people in the scene but all that is simply too far away (or at least for kids under 18 who hasn't graduated high school yet)
Honestly, not even ae much hitting up tournaments is the concern we just wanna play some more good player for the experience.

Last edited:

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
I wish there was more smash in Little Rock cuz some friends really wanna hit up some tournaments and play some friendlies with people in the scene but all that is simply too far away (or at least for kids under 18 who hasn't graduated high school yet)
Honestly, not even ae much hitting up tournaments is the concern we just wanna play some more good player for the experience.
We play all the time, but they are more impromptu smashfest though. We actually had saberguy from jonesboro friday night and saturday.

Joozy

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. I'm from Little Rock, Arkansas.
From reading the posts above mine, I see a few of you are as well. I'm always looking for some smash friends.
Lets meet up and get this going! :D
My phone number is 501-658-5998, my phone doesn't always work when i need it to, so I will also add my email.

joshua.j.stadther @gmail.com

Last edited:

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Man I wish I knew when and where do you guys generally meet up? We would definitely be down for like a weekly or something.
Hey everyone. I'm from Little Rock, Arkansas.
From reading the posts above mine, I see a few of you are as well. I'm always looking for some smash friends.
Lets meet up and get this going! :D
My phone number is 501-658-5998, my phone doesn't always work when i need it to, so I will also add my email.

joshua.j.stadther @gmail.com
In Response to Soulster and Joozy
We're actually moving over to a new house in June, but we can definitely start having weeklies over at our new place starting in the Beginning of July.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, I am new here.....kinda.

It's been years since I been on the forums, but I'm back! (kinda)

Figured I'd post here instead of making a whole thread

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Shogun. I need more Mario practice. Are you going to be traveling at all to Northwest or Central anytime soon?
Well so far me and my friend joint travels so if there's a Tournament that's hosting SF and smash or if I can know 2-3 weeks about a meetup I can probably talk him into going. I want to travel to more tournaments.

Hahaae

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hahaae
In Response to Soulster and Joozy
We're actually moving over to a new house in June, but we can definitely start having weeklies over at our new place starting in the Beginning of July.
Yeah that'd be really nice. Soulster and I are buddies from school and we play each other pretty often. But as you know, playing people at your level isn't how you get better, lol. Only real practice against higher level players is occasionally getting to play Stephen for a few hours like once every few months. Apart from that (for me), it's just playing Soulster and co., and grinding out tech skill at home (or practicing my bull**** Puff tactics, depends on my mood). Really doesn't help that I don't own a copy of SSBM either. Would be willing to buy a copy from someone if I meet them and they have a copy to sell (Stephen has a copy that doesn't have BF or YS working, but those are kinda crucial stages).

Grimmr

Smash Rookie
Hey Smashers, I live in central Arkansas (Benton, Bryant, Haskell, Little Rock, any ring a bell?) and I am looking for smash tournaments. My friends won't play me anymore (not fun for them they say) and I've basically quit for lack of competition, but I'd like to get started again. Even though its been a few months since I've played, I am willing to pick up the controller again for some real competition! I play n64, melee, brawl(eh), and P:M. If any of you know where i can get info on upcoming tournaments(ive tried the internet, smashboards, arfgn, everything) thatd be great, as I cant find it on my own!

Just reply or shoot me an email at ness00017@gmail.com

p.s. I play [n64 ness fox][melee marth fox falco ness][brawl lucas ness marth][p:m marth ness lucas ganon toon link]

hit me up!

soulster

Smash Rookie
Man I wish there were more tournaments here but sadly Arkansas is super underground compared to the rest of the community so its hard to find competition

Grimmr

Smash Rookie
That is disappointing. I know one of my friends goes to anime cons in little rock fayetteville area and she said that they have smash tourneys there. In fact, she placed third in one of them, and that is disappointing for me because I can 3 stock her.

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
Hey Smashers, I live in central Arkansas (Benton, Bryant, Haskell, Little Rock, any ring a bell?) and I am looking for smash tournaments. My friends won't play me anymore (not fun for them they say) and I've basically quit for lack of competition, but I'd like to get started again. Even though its been a few months since I've played, I am willing to pick up the controller again for some real competition! I play n64, melee, brawl(eh), and P:M. If any of you know where i can get info on upcoming tournaments(ive tried the internet, smashboards, arfgn, everything) thatd be great, as I cant find it on my own!

Just reply or shoot me an email at ness00017@gmail.com

p.s. I play [n64 ness fox][melee marth fox falco ness][brawl lucas ness marth][p:m marth ness lucas ganon toon link]

hit me up!
Hey so about tournaments in Arkansas. There may (nothing is confirmed since the TO is busy) be a PM tournament at UCA this fall call MustacheKashSmash. Texarkana will have another T Town Throwdown late this year or early next year. And we are doing another Melee Waylay in Springdale on August the 9th. So, there are tournaments going on. There is a smaller tournament series in LR called Bar Wars that does fighting games and has tried Smash, but I am unaware of their status and don't have personal contacts. It would be more convenient if Central had more TOs who did stuff. It would be difficult for Melee Waylay to get all of our setups (a bunch of 20 inch CRTs) down to LR to dot something, so unless it gets big enough for that be viable, I am just hoping someone else in the area fills that need. XP But yes, there should be three tournaments going on this fall at least. Probably some smaller ones since more campuses and businesses are becoming interested. Here is hoping at least one of the tournaments hits the above 50 mark for a single bracket.

soulster

Smash Rookie
See thats the problem. Arkansas has plenty of smash tournaments but just about non in Little Rock and I'm not old enough to go out of the city whenever I feel so being in the smallest part on an already small scene really sucks

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
See thats the problem. Arkansas has plenty of smash tournaments but just about non in Little Rock and I'm not old enough to go out of the city whenever I feel so being in the smallest part on an already small scene really sucks
Little Rock isn't the smallest part of the scene to be technical: Jonesboro is with like 1 serious player and 1 or 2 interested. xD I am goofing off a bit by saying that. If I was in LR, I would talk with people at UALR who have had small smash tournaments before. It may not be amazing but maybe the group would be wililng to do a semi regular just plain double elim bracket. It's worth a shot. Finding a public meeting place for a meetup and getting everyone to go there would be the first step and then that place would likely be the venue for any tournament anyone did feel up to hosting one or everyone just wanted to do a free one to do it. Anyway, I would ask the UALR esports and around Arkansas Smash Society if anyone just wanted to meetup and do a small double elimination bracket there. It wouldn't really require a real TO and it would be starting something.

soulster

Smash Rookie
Okay thanks for the help man. Due to the lack of TOs in LR I might try to start up some kind of weekly or something to get the scene here a little more active. If I can manage my time well (cause of school and such) and get a place to host it it would definitely be a thing my friends would be into doing

dufuss

Smash Rookie
Typically, there is a group that plays friendlies at Galaxy Games on Sunset in Springdale around 4 every Saturday. There also people who play in NWACC regularly and several people at the U of A who do impromptu metetups. I may be trying to do another meetup sometime as well (though the Galaxy Games one is the most consistent).
Is this still a thing? Would I be able to just show up one Saturday? I live in Fayetteville and only recently started wanting to get competitive.

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
Is this still a thing? Would I be able to just show up one Saturday? I live in Fayetteville and only recently started wanting to get competitive.
It is a thing. There have even been 3 tournaments there as well: A tourney ran by Galaxy, a Melee Waylay, and a charity tournament that ran alongside League of Legends. There is typically someone there. Mostly facebook is used to pinpoint whose going using Arkansas Smash Society. There are few people I text when I go and who prefer not to use fb. The tournout varies heavily so since there might be carpools somewhere soon its always best to post on Arkansas Smash Society first, in case there won't be many people there. But yeah, typically there are some people who will show up at 4 on Saturdays. It's pretty much accepted that people come there to start playing fighting games. If you brought friends and your setups you could have your own group just in case people don't come that week and if they do well it will be bigger meetup. There have been other games, like ChornoPhantasma, Street Fighter 4, and Persona 4 as well. Mostly smashers though. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be there on the 5th. Regardless, everyone who does come comes around 4. It can be as few as 4 and as many as 15 depending.

Last edited:

dufuss

Smash Rookie
It is a thing. There have even been 3 tournaments there as well: A tourney ran by Galaxy, a Melee Waylay, and a charity tournament that ran alongside League of Legends. There is typically someone there. Mostly facebook is used to pinpoint whose going using Arkansas Smash Society. There are few people I text when I go and who prefer not to use fb. The tournout varies heavily so since there might be carpools somewhere soon its always best to post on Arkansas Smash Society first, in case there won't be many people there. But yeah, typically there are some people who will show up at 4 on Saturdays. It's pretty much accepted that people come there to start playing fighting games. If you brought friends and your setups you could have your own group just in case people don't come that week and if they do well it will be bigger meetup. There have been other games, like ChornoPhantasma, Street Fighter 4, and Persona 4 as well. Mostly smashers though. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be there on the 5th. Regardless, everyone who does come comes around 4. It can be as few as 4 and as many as 15 depending.

Okay, awesome. I will be out of town on the 5th, but I'll hopefully be able to show up at some point in the future! :D

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
Anybody from Russellville? I'm looking to get a community together to start playing.
There is a whole crew at Tech. Arkansas Smash Society Facebook group has members there. They mostly play PM though. There is a meetup at Curiosity Shoppe in Fort Smith every Saturday which isn't to far out. Also normally, 4 pm usually. I have been entertaining doing some free tourneys there to generate more practice between Northwest Arkansas and Central Arkansas players (though, I am still not sure how well that would work). Regardless those would be the places to start Arkansas Smash Society Facebook page just post "Hey, I am in Russelville. I heard there were guys at Tech who play Smash. When's a meetup?" and also make your way to curiosity shop. UCA Conway has a crew as well so look them up to maximize the amount of chances you can get practice. If you want info on things you can just ask for DI Joe in the FB group and I can flood you with all the stupid amounts of networking I do. XP

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
I need people to play in Jonesboro...
You live in a rough place, man. I tried to get in contact with people interested in Smash at ASU and there are people there with some interest, but I couldn't really find a player base to try to network something together. There is a on campus religious organization called, "Wolf Life" (I don't know if you are familiar, because I am not) that have run tournaments there. I don't know how competitive the tournaments are actually and I don't know if you are okay with that kind of thing. It might be a place to get a bit of practice. I will probably visit Jonesboro since I have friends there sometime, if you want to meetup I would love finally get some practice with you. I missed out when you won the 2nd Melee Waylay since there were a lot of things going wrong at that local I had to take care of (I barely got any friendlies. xD). I need to play dedicated fox mains a lot more. I hear LR is doing meetups soon so you can get back in touch with everyone and visit them from time to time.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
I live in Searcy if anyone wants to play. I can't l-cancel or wavedash but i'll learn it eventually.
I think there might be a group of guys in Searcy. Ask Bigglesworth, he's the man with the network connections. Try our facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285926091523241/
there is a thread at the top posted by Barrett looking for people in Searcy. Might be up your ally unless you are Barrett. Sad Times.

Kirchu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4313-1025-7630
I'm new here and by the sound of it, Little Rock's scene isn't very strong. Can someone tell me exactly how strong the scene is here?

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
I'm new here and by the sound of it, Little Rock's scene isn't very strong. Can someone tell me exactly how strong the scene is here?
Little Rock has the heaviest amount of tournament experienced players. Central Arkansas is one of the three bigger areas. There is a core group of older players mainly. I am unsure as to how many of the newer players they are connected to, but there are at least a dozen or so newer players in greater LR area trying to get into Smash. The scene was largely retired as of a year ago and the documentary, PM 3.0, and the number tournaments in the past few months have more than doubled that amount of interested people in competitive Smash. LR doesn't have regular tournaments or meetups but that is slowly changing. Also, you guys have the best location for everyone from around the state to visit and to visit everyone else.

TL;DR: So, I'd say it is one of the five areas with a nice concentration of players, the best players are there, and are the most tournament active. However right now, they are the least organized.

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
I don't think its very strong in Arkansas in general. I'm still struggling to find people in Russellville.
Russelville Crew is almost entirely people who go to Arkansas Tech. Have you asked for "Bear" on Arkansas Smash Society? There are people in UCA. There was another charity tournament in Conway this past weekend. Get in contact with Nail.exe or Bear, you can probably get involved in a local meetup or one of the carpools going on in the next few months. Arkansas is small, spread out, and with large amount of inexperience to experienced players. We've grown quite a bit and are starting to experience more overall connectedness from years in past 8 months. It's just going take enough people putting out effort, enough people going to out of state to get better experience, and enough TOs getting serious about locals to get us on the next level. Give it time. It will take a little bit.

Last edited:

Kirchu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4313-1025-7630
Little Rock has the heaviest amount of tournament experienced players. Central Arkansas is one of the three bigger areas. There is a core group of older players mainly. I am unsure as to how many of the newer players they are connected to, but there are at least a dozen or so newer players in greater LR area trying to get into Smash. The scene was largely retired as of a year ago and the documentary, PM 3.0, and the number tournaments in the past few months have more than doubled that amount of interested people in competitive Smash. LR doesn't have regular tournaments or meetups but that is slowly changing. Also, you guys have the best location for everyone from around the state to visit and to visit everyone else.

TL;DR: So, I'd say it is one of the five areas with a nice concentration of players, the best players are there, and are the most tournament active. However right now, they are the least organized.
Well thanks for letting me know. I'll try to get into the scene sometime in the future when I can.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Well thanks for letting me know. I'll try to get into the scene sometime in the future when I can.
Hello i'm part of the main group of veteran smashers here in little rock. I'm currently trying to figure out how to do some biweeklies or triweeklies for our reagion. I'm mainly struggling with how to deal with parking because there isn't too much room, but there is a ton of room in the house for many players and setups. I'll post something in here to update my progress within the next few days. Also, make sure to join our facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285926091523241/

Top Bottom