• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Alrighty everyone its been decided that Little Rock will start having Smashfest.

When: August 15, 2014 starting at 5pm until everyone gets tired of playing.
Where: My house (1 Northbrook Circle Little Rock, AR 72205)
If you need some more info let me know.

Everyone is responsible for bringing their own controller. We have 2 full setups and 3 other extra tvs. So a couple people will have to bring their gamecubes or wiis. I don't own any project M or Brawl setups so if you want it you have to bring it.

IMPORTANT: Parking is a little limited. I probably have room for maybe 7 other vehicles so car pooling will be much appreciated if you can. I hope this goes well but not too well. Can't have 50 people showing up to my house.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Hey everybody, I'm initiating a tournament scene in Hot Springs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SpaCitySmashLeague/

I already have a first event scheduled, and the hype train is fully fueled based on the Facebook page feedback.

It's the day after the release of SSB for 3DS, so be sure to bring that version and battle and interact and StreetPass with everyone while not competing - that might just be our next tournament if the Wii U version isn't out before our second event.

The event itself is a fairly standard (best of 3 in a set) double elimination tournament. Starting out events will be monthly, and perhaps next year become biweekly. Hopefully the December (if not November) event will be Sm4sh for Wii U.

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
Mad props for taking the initiative and scheduling an event out of thin air. Can't wait, I'll try to get all the Hendrix / UCA / Conway peeps to come and throw down.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Mad props for taking the initiative and scheduling an event out of thin air. Can't wait, I'll try to get all the Hendrix / UCA / Conway peeps to come and throw down.
Thanks for the support; I hope to see you and your crew there! My friend who has been a big help in this will be moving to UCA next semester. Hot Springs/Garland County has a huge number of gamers who have talked about getting something started, so hopefully I'm able to make this a successful reality.

Orbison

Smash Rookie
I'm TOing a bunch of P:M events at Hendrix College over the next year or so, and I've heard the UCA scene is similarly growing more active. It's an exciting time to be apart of the Conway scene, the SSB4 release has created a lot of interest on in Project M (not sure how everyone's heard of the mod). We've got at least a month before we can get some tournaments off the ground, are there any local players interested in playing some friendlies in the mean time?

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I'm TOing a bunch of P:M events at Hendrix College over the next year or so, and I've heard the UCA scene is similarly growing more active. It's an exciting time to be apart of the Conway scene, the SSB4 release has created a lot of interest on in Project M (not sure how everyone's heard of the mod). We've got at least a month before we can get some tournaments off the ground, are there any local players interested in playing some friendlies in the mean time?
I'm in Hot Springs, but I've got a couple of friends at both UCA and Hendrix. If I happen to go for a visit, and the events work out with my schedule, I'd definitely attend something. The scene down here is picking up too since I announced my first (Melee / 3DS launch) event. I am familiar with PM; it's personally not my thing at all, but people will be bringing PM setups for friendlies to my first event, although the actually money tourney is Melee.

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
Guys, I'm having a bit of an existential Smash crisis.

Ever since the last Melee Waylay I've decided to focus on Falco in P:M, and also play him in Melee on the side. Recently I have come to the conclusion that I cannot continue to do this without sabotaging what I imagine to be my own potential.

For the last six months or so I've made it a pet project to try to lab out all the differences in P:M Falco's kit from his Melee iteration, and as a result these differences have become integral to the way I play. When I switch over to Melee, as one might suspect, I have to not only get adjusted to input differences between the two games, but also kit differences between the two characters.

In a tournament setting, however, this doesn't play out in the way you might expect. For instance, at the last MW, and even at IYHI, the same thing played out in both tournaments.

I would show up half an hour to an hour before Melee started, and by the time singles got running I was warmed up. In bracket, I'm absolutely enthused about how well I play. I'm firing on all pistons, and it shows in my results. At MW I tied my best placement in any singles bracket at 7th, which I am still ecstatic about.

But by the time P:M rolls around, something changes. Maybe I'm mentally tired, maybe it has to do with running into unfamiliar matchups, but I haven't won a set in P:M in the last two tournaments I've been to, which makes no sense because I play almost ten times more P:M than Melee.

This is starting to contribute to a kind of Smash imposter syndrome, where it feels like I'm winning and losing sets because of the character I'm playing as opposed to how well I'm playing that character.

P:M is really the game I have a passion for, and Falco is the character. So I'm stuck between finding a new main for Melee, or giving up on the game all together.

Not entering Melee would have tons of personal benefits. I could save money, show up later and more well rested, I would have more time to get warmed up, and I could go into the singles bracket with a full mental tank and an entire day's worth of burning focus. But on the other hand I would be contributing to a smaller pot, entering less events per tournament, and I would risk turning into some kind of P:M purist.

I've tried out a bunch of other characters in the last few days, and nothing has really clicked, or I should say, nothing logical has clicked. Shiek feels like I'm spamming tilts into fairs, Fox feels wrong in so many ways, Samus is too floaty, Jiggs is right out, Ganon and Falcon are both really satisfying but lacking in options, I don't want to play Pikachu without QAC, and I'll burn in hell before I play Marth. The saddest part is that right now the most fun I have playing Melee right now is when I'm playing Roy.

I'm in need of some spiritual guidance right now, guys.

Last edited:

soulster

Smash Rookie
You should take a quick break from smash (not too long maybe a week or two) and do some soul searching. I did that and I've decided to play fox (yes that advice was cheesy but I don't care!!!)

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Melee Falco and pm Falco are close go equal. Difference is the tech isn't as necessary in PM and also there are more characters in PM which will naturally male Falco less effective than he is in melee. Just .learn more matchups

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
If you're getting Sm4sh, take a break from the older games. New physics and rebalanced characters means everyone gets a fresher start.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
($1100 pot bonus warning)
Okay, Guys, it's tournament almost season in Nebraska

October 11th is Roll Tier X4($1100 total pot bonuses), which features $500 pot bonuses for both melee and PM each and $100 on a free sm4sh tournament (must sign up for at least 1 other event to register for it and byo3ds), free Pizza from Little Caesars and free Venue fee amongst tons of other hype bonuses!

However, you must PRE-REGISTER for this event!

October 18th is IT HAS BEGIN (possible pot bonuses TBA), which features 64, brawl and the very first open sm4sh tournament Nebraska smash is running, Free Pizza from Little Caesars and free venue amongst tons of other awesome bonuses!

RTx4
https://www.facebook.com/events/334665033369521/363630763806281/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_mall_activity

http://smashboards.com/…/oct-11-2014-roll-tier-x4-remix-11…/

IT HAS BEGUN

https://www.facebook.com/events/1453310801604341/?ref=70

http://smashboards.com/…/oct-18-2014-it-has-begun-ne-first…/

Please, sign up for Roll Tier X4 if you haven't already
https://www.payitsquare.com/collect-page/42457

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
Melee Falco and pm Falco are close go equal. Difference is the tech isn't as necessary in PM and also there are more characters in PM which will naturally male Falco less effective than he is in melee. Just .learn more matchups
The thing about Melee Falco is that the book has pretty much already been written. Different players play Falco with their own unique style, but everyone knows what Falco stuff looks like, and if I were to try to become the best Melee Falco that I can be, I will still probably never be PPMD or Mango.

P:M Falco has the potential to be something else entirely. The fact that Falco has Brawl tech with something resembling Melee physics means that he has options that are present in no other game. RAR bairs in particular not only open up Falco's offstage game, but also provide new ways to finish combos and take stocks. Not all of his new stuff is good (for instance his DACUS blows goats) but it frustrates me to no end that the prevailing attitude is that his new toys aren't worth tinkering with.

Last edited:

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
^ He right tho. ^

Mizewell Games in Conway has agreed to let us host meetups and tournaments there any Sundays to Tuesdays. It's a good venue, they have good internet, a good snackbar, looots of space... The gears are turning, guys. It's time to make Central Arkansas somethin' real.

Last edited:

youtwo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Youtwo12
3DS FC
0559-6766-5283
Switch FC
2400-3262-8154
Hey guys, just trying to get the word out to surrounding areas. There will be a Smash Bros. Melee tournament at Mississippi State (Starkville, MS) on Friday, October 31st. We will be meeting at Butler 100 at 7pm and it will last until whenever it finishes. It's just a $5 entry fee. Bring setups/CRT's if you can. If you have any questions please feel free to post them in the MSU VGC Facebook page or just message me. I hope to see a decent crowd there!

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
Conway is river valley :p
Close enough anyways. : P

Where do you go to school by the way?

Edit: Oh yeah, Clarksville lol. Well hey, you live in between Fort Smith and Little Rock, so people will always be passing you on the freeway to get to a tournament. You might be able to organize a carpool on Facebook, who knows.

Last edited:

OGS | Squrpion

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-5521-3225
Hey if anyone is in the Fayetteville area, or even close for that matter, a Melee tournament will most likely be held over Thanksgiving break if anyone is interested. I'll update once the date is known. It'll be at the Arkadia Retrocade.

SaberPrime

Smash Journeyman
Hey if anyone is in the Fayetteville area, or even close for that matter, a Melee tournament will most likely be held over Thanksgiving break if anyone is interested. I'll update once the date is known. It'll be at the Arkadia Retrocade.
Would you care to postpone your tourney til the weekend after? Going to be in chicago for another tourney and I know a lot of people will prolly be busy with family over that weekend so you'd be more likely to get more people to come the weekend after or later.

OGS | Squrpion

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-5521-3225
Would you care to postpone your tourney til the weekend after? Going to be in chicago for another tourney and I know a lot of people will prolly be busy with family over that weekend so you'd be more likely to get more people to come the weekend after or later.
We can totally do that if you would rather! I want to get to know the competition in the area and if that means postponing than I sure will do that!

OGS | Squrpion

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-5521-3225
The next OnGuard tournament for the Fayetteville area is going to be a Wii U tournament. The location will be Arkadia Retrocade, but the date is still uncertain. I'll keep everyone posted about it though. If you guys want, I can set up a melee friendlies station when it comes around.

Top Bottom