• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Project64k keeps throwing me a "not enough memory for jump table" error followed by "failed to allocate memory". How do I get pj64k to work?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Try disabling your anti-virus.

Make sure every single program is closed.

They are good starting points, but in order for myself to fix that problem when I had it I had to re-install my OS.

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Tried it with opening any program, it still failed.

My firewall's off, and PJ64k is already on my exceptions list, it still doesn't work.

Guess there's no online play for me(unless I somehow manage to try reinstalling my OS) <_<

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
It's not too hard. Just find the disc and it'll take like 40 minutes tops. You won't lose any data either. (No guarantees though, back up everything anyway I don't want to be held accountable).

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I got some of my friends interested in Smash when we played some friendlies, and I'm looking for ways to play online. Luckily I find my Mupen version works properly after I figured out why it was crashing, so no harm done on that aspect.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Is there any differences in the vista/7 version of project64k then the xp version? Is the vista/7 version more prone to lag?

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I press the jump button really quickly, or you can put the tip of your thumb on bottom c and just kind of flick it. i think most pl do it the second way though.

joY

Pot splitter
When I tick the option to record online play either from P2P or a server (From Owna's client), the files never show up under Playback... ever.

I've tried ticking it before the client starts, before the actual game starts, and before the actual match starts. I've tried redownloading the client but nothing.
Any advice?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
May I ask what OS you use JoY5?

It might be something to do with Windows XP but I'm not sure.

Olikus

Smash Champion
oh another player with the same problem. i tried making new record folders, download a new project, etc. Nothing works =(

The Star King

Smash Hero
If the krec files are really showing up nowhere on your computer I would guess it's because of the client. Have you tried doing it with other clients?

joY

Pot splitter
If the krec files are really showing up nowhere on your computer I would guess it's because of the client. Have you tried doing it with other clients?
Like Mupen?

Try a complete computer search of all .krec files.
Did not come up with anything.

edit: Peek gave me some recordings via MSN, and when I loaded them up in PJ64K it showed the name, but under App, read error. I couldn't even initiate playback.

Peek also said that his App section was named after the Emulator, e.g. Project 64K (August 1 etc etc). I don't know if this could be a problem or not.

I deleted the records folder and allowed the client to produce another one, but the files still would not record; playback from Peek's file still received an error.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Maybe this problem is related to the input plugin?

Since thats what it captures, just a wild guess though

efire_

Smash Rookie
Alright, I need help.

I'm by no means particularly amazing at this game, but due to my playing online (and no one else here does at college), I usually dominate the tourneys we hold in the dorm.

Then tonight this DK completely bodied me every game we played. I switched from my fun chars (samus, DK, jiggs) to my least fav/unfortunately best char (pika), and still got molested by the monkey like nothing I've ever seen. Yeah I know every newb here is like HOW DO I 2 BAET THOSE CHEEP GRABZ...but he wasn't cheap. This guy was intelligent, was brilliant at spacing his gropes/grabs...and used almost nothing else.

So on the bright side, second I got him into the air (rare)I could combo/gimp him to death. I never saw him use any aerial approaches, cancels, or combos beyond throw -> pawnch. Yet even after realizing this in the first game (of five), I still couldn't figure out a way to approach and beat him...my dashdance+grab got outspaced and grabbed, and everything else (SH airs, f/dair fastfall cancels) got dashdanced + grabbed.

So the question here: how do you deal with higher-level grab games? How do you counter people with great spacing and incredible timing with their grabs? Any specific advice for Pika against a DK with intelligent abuse of his huge grab range?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
dk players who can grab at the right time are actually really dangerous, even if that's all they do

you can pick dreamland and use platforms appropriately, or pick hyrule and fox/link for campy funtimes

use aerials, predict where he's going and aim to hit him there rather than where he is at the moment (should be reasonably easy if he's just dashdancing), or draw him out towards you (if he misses a grab he'll probably run forward a bit and grab again) until he inevitably rolls back - then punish

dunno much about the actual matchup, i just rely on pika's aerials a lot

Sangoku

Smash Master
Maybe this problem is related to the input plugin?

Since thats what it captures, just a wild guess though
This is not dumb. I recall Olikus said he didn't use the same version of NRage as the rest of us.

And efire: what I like doing is picking fox and lasering. You need to be good at short hop low laser, but once you get it, it's pretty effective. Short hop low laser back and forth and dash grab (the stun of the laser or the shieldstun of the laser is often enough to guarantee you a grab). If he starts using the platforms (assuming you're on DL) jump and uair.

This is how I beat most of the DKs above my level. Then there are DKs far above me and I can't even do that.

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
My Kirby's going decently, and I've started to move a lot more fluidly, and rather than having to think, I'm able to respond to situations spontaneously. I'd like to learn Z-Cancelling and teching, to overall improve my game.

I'd prefer to learn teching first, since learning that will help me with Z-Cancelling. I don't have a problem with timing a tech, but my issue is that I have to consciously put in an effort to tech. So if I'm on last stock vs opponent's last stock, I tend to forget about teching, and subsequently my game suffers. How would you suggest I "integrate" teching into fluid gameplay?

Additionally, from what I know, Fox's Shine has only 1 attack frame, and doesn't seem to me to have a lot of range. How do I reliably spike with it?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I'd recommend just playing in training mode or against CPU's and teching all of the time so it becomes second-nature, as you shouldn't really have to consciously think about it. After a while the only thing you should be conscious of should be what way, if at all, you are going to tech. Same goes for Z-cancelling - practice til it's second nature.

As for shine-spiking, it's just a matter of getting right next to them and hitting down-B, should be ezpz on dummies, practice really.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
This is not dumb. I recall Olikus said he didn't use the same version of NRage as the rest of us.

And efire: what I like doing is picking fox and lasering. You need to be good at short hop low laser, but once you get it, it's pretty effective. Short hop low laser back and forth and dash grab (the stun of the laser or the shieldstun of the laser is often enough to guarantee you a grab). If he starts using the platforms (assuming you're on DL) jump and uair.

This is how I beat most of the DKs above my level. Then there are DKs far above me and I can't even do that.
Eh. I feel like DK is pretty good against Fox, especially on Dreamland. Pika and Kirby are better picks if you want to counterpick IMO.

Although for someone that always stays on the ground Fox lasers will work really well of course.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Like Mupen?

Did not come up with anything.

edit: Peek gave me some recordings via MSN, and when I loaded them up in PJ64K it showed the name, but under App, read error. I couldn't even initiate playback.

Peek also said that his App section was named after the Emulator, e.g. Project 64K (August 1 etc etc). I don't know if this could be a problem or not.

I deleted the records folder and allowed the client to produce another one, but the files still would not record; playback from Peek's file still received an error.

man i have the exact same problem. My recordings arent anywere on my computer, and when I get recordings from other i get the same error as you and cant watch them.

@sangoku. It might be the plugin. I use N-Rage`s Direct-Input8 1.61. Dunno if that its the most common one or not. It works great though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Alright, I need help.

I'm by no means particularly amazing at this game, but due to my playing online (and no one else here does at college), I usually dominate the tourneys we hold in the dorm.

Then tonight this DK completely bodied me every game we played. I switched from my fun chars (samus, DK, jiggs) to my least fav/unfortunately best char (pika), and still got molested by the monkey like nothing I've ever seen. Yeah I know every newb here is like HOW DO I 2 BAET THOSE CHEEP GRABZ...but he wasn't cheap. This guy was intelligent, was brilliant at spacing his gropes/grabs...and used almost nothing else.

So on the bright side, second I got him into the air (rare)I could combo/gimp him to death. I never saw him use any aerial approaches, cancels, or combos beyond throw -> pawnch. Yet even after realizing this in the first game (of five), I still couldn't figure out a way to approach and beat him...my dashdance+grab got outspaced and grabbed, and everything else (SH airs, f/dair fastfall cancels) got dashdanced + grabbed.

So the question here: how do you deal with higher-level grab games? How do you counter people with great spacing and incredible timing with their grabs? Any specific advice for Pika against a DK with intelligent abuse of his huge grab range?
It's all about the short-hop aerials. He can't grab you if you're in the air; just space with Back-air or f-air all the time.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
elfire: Pick DK and have a blast gimping him to **** with F-throw>anything.

Alternatively, you may have to go Kirby. Kirby's lethal from above and if you can get DK off the edge at all, a simple Dair ought to do the trick since DK has zero vertical recovery. Approach with a long-lasting attack like Fair and like aa said, predict where he's gonna go, and aim for behind him or something.

Sangoku

Smash Master
^Not really, if he blindly attacks from above it won't work. Especially since the DK he's facing is dashing back (avoiding the aerial) and dashing forward grab. Am I missing something? (hope so to be honest)

B Link

Smash Lord
lol wut @ people saying just spam aerials. That would depend on the character. Dash dance grabs counter short hop aerial spamming by most characters, and if they're at a low percent then the opponent can DI+grab or just wait until they land after they are hit and then still grab. I think aerial spamming only works if you're not going towards the opponent but instead -you're letting them come to you.-

From experience, playing a good DK has the same feeling of playing a camping fox. You have to be very patient in your approach, mostly letting them come to you, and do the most effective (usually simple) combos. Expect a long match unless you're very skilled in pressuring + comboing (most people aren't).

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
^Not really, if he blindly attacks from above it won't work. Especially since the DK he's facing is dashing back (avoiding the aerial) and dashing forward grab. Am I missing something? (hope so to be honest)
I don't remember saying to play dumb and not space any of your attacks. If the DK is dashing back trying to space you then you just aerial back more so it hits him, pretty simple.

Top Bottom