• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
In my experience, Jigglypuff is the least affected by keyboard set-backs since she spends most of her time in the air anyways. Plus, she's probably the character that relies the least on short-hop (obviously it helps... alot... but for what it's worth, it's not 100% needed to be decent enough).

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Too many reasons to list, including too lazy, too busy, too much effort, too much searching, etc.

Actual valid reasons: none.

I guess I've been too lazy to do it... but... well, I guess a valid reason is I don't want to buy an adapter and end up with it not working properly... but otherwise, I've just been too lazy to get one lol.

And you've asked more than a bazillion times :p

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
http://cgi.ebay.com/N64-PS2-PS1-Con...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2a06c103a5

15 USD. I bought this one and it has been reliable for the past few years. Buy. Now.

:)

i bought two of these, the first one only worked with a few of my controllers (the others had joystick issues even after calibration) and the second one didn't work with any. i feel like this adapter is really hit or miss since i've heard a lot of good things as well as stories like mine

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-64-n64...oysticks_Game_Controllers&hash=item4aa0d38529

i have this one (mayflash is the name i think) and it works great with all my controllers, i haven't heard of anyone having issues with it

The Star King

Smash Hero
It seems like every keyboard player plays Jigglypuff very often.
Not really.

In my experience, Jigglypuff is the least affected by keyboard set-backs since she spends most of her time in the air anyways. Plus, she's probably the character that relies the least on short-hop (obviously it helps... alot... but for what it's worth, it's not 100% needed to be decent enough).
I think I asked you this the one time I played you a long time ago, but why can you not shorthop? I can shorthop just fine on the keyboard.

And about Jiggs relying the least on shorthops, that's not really true if you want to be half decent at shield pressure/chasing rolls.

"But ShootingStar, what character relies less than Jiggs on shorthops?"

Bleh... the character that relies the least on shorthops is probably Ness, and then Yoshi, thanks to DJC (Yoshi needs shorthop for certain combos that use weak nair stuff).

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I can't figure out a good configuration that I can get used to. Every time I try to add c-buttons, I end up suiciding whenever I try to use them. I just decided to quit trying and leave the short-hopping for console smash lol.

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
I can't figure out a good configuration that I can get used to. Every time I try to add c-buttons, I end up suiciding whenever I try to use them. I just decided to quit trying and leave the short-hopping for console smash lol.
Just place the c-button in a place that is easy (really really easy) access and go to training mode. I know Training mode is mediorcore. But, it's the best place to practice short hop and not screw up. Then versus CPUs and such. It really does help in edgeguarding.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Ugh, it should only take you a few hours at most. When I first started playing 64, I changed my setup all the time, and it evolved into my current (very comfortable) setup.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i use the / , . and ' buttons as they are right next to the up down left and right arrows (which I use for normal movement).

it allows me to quickly switch.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I use WASD because I'm right-handed, and a claw sort of thing with my right hand, extremely comfortable =]

Battlecow

Play to Win
I use WASD for movement, E for R, T for A, Y for B, U for z, J for a C-button. Works like a charm; arrow key movement is for noobs.

Except for Koro. koro can do whatever he wants

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
I need some help with my ping.

It used to be always 50 or 54, but just a few days ago i played a LAN game, it jumped up to around 85, and now its stuck there when I play on excellent...

I have (obviously) between then and now completely restarted PJ64k several times

anyone have any ideas?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why is everybody's keyboard setup so cramped =[ I can never play like that lol

My setup feels really natural

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
heres mine:
WSAD - movment
C - Z button
V - A Button
B - B Button
N - Short Hop
F - Grab
G - Taunt

Also side question, how does one pivot edguard?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
lol wasd

Go back to counterstrike, kids. Default config rules (not really but I'm used to it and it's not hard to use anyway). Spacebar is amazing for short hops. That might just be because I play piano though.

dandan

Smash Lord
i use numpad for movement, and the arrow keys for abrz, with right control for a c button (using my pinky)

Mahie

Smash Lord
WASD : Movement
E : C button
Left/Down/Right : Other C buttons
Num Pad 1 : A
2 : B
3 : Start
4 : L
5 : R
6 : Z

And it works pretty well. Also playing piano has nothing to do with the awesomeness that is WASD :bee:

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
I tried keyboard originally when I started playing smash online, it lasted for like a day. Maybe I didn't give it enough chance, but I mained ness and found it hard as balls to control ness with. I've only seen like 2 really good ness players on keyboard, but maybe that's just because not many people use ness.

But yeah, in the end, you all should get controllers :p

Is it because you got too good with kb that you don't want to try switching to controller?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Is it because you got too good with kb that you don't want to try switching to controller?
To be honest I don't have a good reason for not using controller.

And as you know from playing me, I can control any character just fine =D

Default is terrible

asianaussie

Smash Hero
It's not terrible at all. It just takes a lot of getting used to. I can do more or less anything (except stupid multishines and shdl but I don't play fox much anyway).

Funny thing is if I play psx games on an emulator i use WASD.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I'm right-handed, but I use the arrow keys for movement. I think having your better hand for movement gives you better control of your character.

A is S, B is D, L is W, R is E, and Z is A. So it looks something like this:

QWE => _LR
ASD .=> ZAB

That's my best config I found that worked for me.

I'm actually kind-of surprised at how many people play piano here (I also play the piano).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If you play piano you'll find the spacebar suitable for short hops. Just learn, it takes like half an hour maximum to get the correct pressure ingrained with you.

My left hand config is literally yours shifted down one space.

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
do we have any character-specific discussion or something on the 64 boards? i just thought it would be pretty cool to have a fox discussion or something like that.

Mahie

Smash Lord
I play the piano and I hate the space bar to jump...

Also if you want a Fox discussion you might aswell create the thread, or do it here or in the matchup thread, dunno...

dandan

Smash Lord
do we have any character-specific discussion or something on the 64 boards? i just thought it would be pretty cool to have a fox discussion or something like that.
the tier list thread is your best bet to read about every characters matchups and their options, but we need to make character specific threads, as reading the tier list thread is really a chore.

Top Bottom