• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
What does RDing mean again Pierce?

I'm serious.

Also, is it just me or is teching harder than it was in Melee? I DEFINITELY know you don't have a 20 frame window to tech anymore.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
What does RDing mean again Pierce?

I'm serious.

Also, is it just me or is teching harder than it was in Melee? I DEFINITELY know you don't have a 20 frame window to tech anymore.
RDing = Roll Dodging, lol

Teching is a bit harder, but to me, not hard. The thing is, you have a lot less practice, since you can air-dodge before you tech, and you're not in hitstun all the time, so you do other stuff instead of teching. I tried to play Melee the other day and I was like, "Holy **** if you don't tech you're screwed," but it's a lot easier to tech.

Oh, and DS does get outta almost everything Fox can do outta Dair, as well as his jab. I just need to try it against his Fair now.

I just counter USmash. It's mad predictable. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll Dolphin Slash.

Of course, many a time, I'll just shield, and punish with DB.

Elumnysan

Smash Rookie
i'm looking to expand my marth knowledge and i'm wondering, is there anything to air combos? so far, sometimes i get lucky and fair->fair->dair and i can manage a kill, but are there any ways to guarantee this or things i should practice to learn this? also, i need to know more of these "glitches" if you want to call them that.

HADOOKEN

Smash Apprentice
ok, we DO need to sticky this. there have been 3 post made in the last few hours that are all like, one question.

so yeah, do it.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
i'm looking to expand my marth knowledge and i'm wondering, is there anything to air combos? so far, sometimes i get lucky and fair->fair->dair and i can manage a kill, but are there any ways to guarantee this or things i should practice to learn this? also, i need to know more of these "glitches" if you want to call them that.

you mash fair , so that it gets weaker thats the key to fast fair -dair spikes

3xSwords

Smash Lord
There aren't many glitches to abuse. I mean Marth has some pretty random ones but they usually can't be used. The most practical out of all "glitches" is the ISJR (Infinite Second Jump Renewal) but it is also the hardest of them all.

Basic summary, you can do another second jump after you used your second jump already if you time the ending lag of the aerial to occur very close to the ground.

Here's the thread about ISJR in tactical: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173119

In the air your fair combos are probably your best bet. SH DB > fair/uair works at higher percents when your opponent is stunned longer, but probably isn't a "true combo" until a very high %, (somewhere around 150?).

Retroking2000

Smash Master
if you want a true combo weaken all the attacks in that combo ,

so there is less knockback meaning no chance to escape

in marth dittos i spam uairs randomly so i can uair combo marths getting up to like 8 uairs at a time

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Nice. Im glad 3x3 mentioned the DB -> uair, fair. DB can also be used to set up for a dolphin slash. If done correctly the opponent should be knocked high enuff or far enuff away from u to punish (kinda like up+b outta shield).

Retroking2000

Smash Master
since the fair is too strong >B to Xair is the best choice

i believe you can

>B to dair

but since the SH>B has little range you have to be literally at centre sword range to connect

so because you cant do it at tip range its very unsafe

unfortunately

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Nice. Im glad 3x3 mentioned the DB -> uair, fair. DB can also be used to set up for a dolphin slash. If done correctly the opponent should be knocked high enuff or far enuff away from u to punish (kinda like up+b outta shield).
lol 3x3
thats a first. :)

@Elumnysan only first slash and perform immediately after a SH. If you want an example, type in Kizzu on youtube and see one of his Marth dittos. Both he and his friend use it a lot for some reason.

Wow I just realized that recently I haven't been using nair at all. Before I used it more than fair but now I barely use it at all. Hmmmm..... Do you guys prefer nair as damage builder or reliable KO'er?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
lol 3x3
thats a first. :)

@Elumnysan only first slash and perform immediately after a SH. If you want an example, type in Kizzu on youtube and see one of his Marth dittos. Both he and his friend use it a lot for some reason.

Wow I just realized that recently I haven't been using nair at all. Before I used it more than fair but now I barely use it at all. Hmmmm..... Do you guys prefer nair as damage builder or reliable KO'er?
Nair is a great safe KO move on tall characters. It is a lot harder to hit Kirby, MK, Jiggly exc. I use it to wall sometimes with retreating nairs. Dont use Nair to build damage...dancing blade is too good for that.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Can Marth glide toss, or do any good combo and how?
At low percents, some characters can be Fthrow/Dthrow to tipper Fsmash. Plus there's specific grab release set-up.

His glidetoss is sex. You can do reverse glidetoss to tipper Fsmash (my favorite) using the banana, turnip or the small wheel of Wario. You can do it to basically anything though.

You can do a reverse to Shield Breaker (works best) if you think they'll shield with gyro, big Wario wheel, ZSS pieces, so fourth.

Hype

Smash Lord
Go into training mode and set a character to jump and keep trying to spike him. Then put his damage to like 400 or something like that and throw him off the map and try to spike him on his recovery.

Gokuzz

Smash Cadet
well i manage to do that, but sometimes, very rarely. i can pull of an fair->dair and manage a spike in like a 1 second combo which would be sweet all the time >_>

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
oh boy I have a load, but simple.

a) Im having trouble incorporating DB into my game. In practice, I learned how to do it in a fight, however its hard to piece it together. Is there any suggestions so I can improve?

b) Since I have a lack of human play, I've developed a Fsmash spam. Anyway to help break this? I throw out my tilts but these **** lvl9's are just so easy to catch.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
well i manage to do that, but sometimes, very rarely. i can pull of an fair->dair and manage a spike in like a 1 second combo which would be sweet all the time >_>
There are no combos really. Its just that your opponent happened to not dodge at that moment and got ownded ;)

Although at a certain %, against certain characters, with a specific amount of degeneration to the fair. I'm sure fair > dair combos, but nobody has figured out thru testing, you can be the first my friend.

a) Im having trouble incorporating DB into my game. In practice, I learned how to do it in a fight, however its hard to piece it together. Is there any suggestions so I can improve?

b) Since I have a lack of human play, I've developed a Fsmash spam. Anyway to help break this? I throw out my tilts but these **** lvl9's are just so easy to catch.
a) How are you practicing? If you are playing lvl 9's than no wonder, because they can do a lot of things people can't do like Perfect Shielding amazingly quick attacks like DB and Single jabs which will make you reluctant to use them.

First thing, actually think about when to use it. Like just stop playing smash and sit there for 20 minutes, just thinking of when you can use it. I firmly believe when a person actively thinks of uses for something it stays in the matches at a better rate.

The three main uses: Punishing any post lag or doing it out of shield; following up, like FF fair > DB combo, and approaching although this should be done very rarely and only as a good mixup.

b) I know what its like to have no ppl except wifi, cpu's, and nooby friends/siblings.

What I do is not play smash a lot, but instead just think about smash and if I have to I'll turn on the wii to confirm some of my ideas. The only other times I play, is when I want to maintain my spacing with a character. Just go to training mode, hit the dude, practice some techs, get acquainted with brawl physics. Then if I feel like it I just play a lvl 3, but only as spacing practice.

Trust me when you begin to only worry about spacing or using certain moves, you will eventually stop relying on f-smashing. I fell for this trap b/c punishing my bro was as easy f-smashing, as a result my advice is don't go for the "easy/lazy" punisher. Do a DB instead. There two birds with one stone :)

Edit: Btw Kizzu is far from being the best Marth and I think he realizes that.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
To practice something I know is 'good', but haven't much issues adding it into my game I do the following:

I take someone who I know I can beat, and someone who I know I can beat soundly.
I then pretty much solely rely on this new technique/mind game. See how it works, get used to it, etc. Force yourself to use it and see if you can still win. Of course most people will wise up, and you'll start to counter 'the wise ***', but alas you should then have the technique under your belt and all is well in the universe.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

This happened to me before I got Wi-Fi, and I've been criticized for it, but you should ply lvl 7's, they are more human.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
lvl 7's are still pretty crazy. In fact its best if you just stick to not playing cpu's at all. Like I said I only use it to get spacing practice against moving opponents. If you are really desperate its better to use wifi and play a person 1v1.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
alright, this isn't worth starting a thread over, but can you guys give me an imput on this...I suppose you could say combo, but I am at a loss for words.

SH Fair fast fall (optional depending on who you play) to Dtilt (x amount of times, 1 or 2 times) to SH nair, moving backwards

I think that it's an effective technique because wether you hit their shield with the D tilt or not, the other player will have to react or else their shield will be getting pressure obviously. and if they charge then you can set up a wall with nair. Either way you have a good chance for control of the match as of then. even if they dodge backwards, it's just a safe choice IMO. please discuss what you think.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
lvl 7's are still pretty crazy. In fact its best if you just stick to not playing cpu's at all. Like I said I only use it to get spacing practice against moving opponents. If you are really desperate its better to use wifi and play a person 1v1.
Agreed

Playing lvl 9's are actually detrimental to your game, imo. It forms really, really bad habits. I really wouldn't recommend playing against anything higher than lvl 3.

but then again, I wouldn't recommend playing CPU's at all either.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
alright, this isn't worth starting a thread over, but can you guys give me an imput on this...I suppose you could say combo, but I am at a loss for words.

SH Fair fast fall (optional depending on who you play) to Dtilt (x amount of times, 1 or 2 times) to SH nair, moving backwards

I think that it's an effective technique because wether you hit their shield with the D tilt or not, the other player will have to react or else their shield will be getting pressure obviously. and if they charge then you can set up a wall with nair. Either way you have a good chance for control of the match as of then. even if they dodge backwards, it's just a safe choice IMO. please discuss what you think.
SHFFFair into Dtilt is like EL's primary hobby I think, lol. Jokes aside, if spaced properly, this is relatively safe.

Retreating Nair is just one of the options from there, although I would say at highest level play, you should follow up based on your opponent's patterns, and dodging habits.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
Ok, fair eough, I pretty much put nair because it's the safest option, once again IMO, seeing as how you pretty much put up a wall that is extremely hard to get past aggresively. I suppose you could put fair, but I think that the chance of a tilt just feels better to me, and you can hit away waddle dees and get ready for most projectiles, etc.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Most times, I dtilt my opponent, they like to roll behind me. Retreating Nair is a good solution for this, although I may Reverse Dolphin Slash if it can score a K.O., or Usmash for the same reason.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
1.i got a question what is the best attack out of ledge?

also d-tilt follow up to dancing blade is win.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
What is the general consensus on Marth's offensive game compared to his defensive game? Which is generally considered better?

Top Bottom