• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If you space ftilt on a shield, can you get "dragon punched" (aka marth/MK upB)? The range on it looks impressive, but is the window enough?

Also, if you've seen RAIN's videos, you'll notice he'll mix up his laser camp game by dropping off the stage -> double jump double laser and make it so both hit on the ground level. I'd think this'd be a pretty nifty tool to use from far spacing against a character that insists on crouching/proning from a far distance (like Snake or Kirby) and not having to phantasm since it's risky from such a distance. Why isn't it used much (if at all)?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
The beginning of the Up-B is invulnerable, so in terms of "Is it possible?" then yes. Is it likely? Probably not unless they shamelessly predict it.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
with the ledge grab limit he won't have to worry too much. matches that do go to time don't happen that often.

the stage that would be most likely to go to time would be rainbow cruise. i'd suggest he practices on that stage a lot.
thanks, ill pass that on. he's most probably going to apex.

If you space ftilt on a shield, can you get "dragon punched" (aka marth/MK upB)? The range on it looks impressive, but is the window enough?

Also, if you've seen RAIN's videos, you'll notice he'll mix up his laser camp game by dropping off the stage -> double jump double laser and make it so both hit on the ground level. I'd think this'd be a pretty nifty tool to use from far spacing against a character that insists on crouching/proning from a far distance (like Snake or Kirby) and not having to phantasm since it's risky from such a distance. Why isn't it used much (if at all)?
he does it to great effect against ics, too. stop characters approaching on the ground quite well, and gives nana quite a difficult time.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^What he said.

It's obviously not a good idea to try when the opponent's applying close pressure because falco being offstage is a big no-no, but when from a mid/far distance, I find it actually pretty nifty to use (especially when there's a prone Snake with a cooked grenade nearby)

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Is there a thread that clearly explains the DACUS and BDACUS and all those other neat falco tricks that are considered advanced? I haven't played/read the forums/practiced in a long time and would like to get my falco on top game again. I'm especially having trouble with those 2 mentioned above, was wondering if they would be smart against marth and game&watch, since I can't seem to be able to use my lasers as much.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
For the DACUS timing, If i always end up doing a hyphen USmash instead of a DACUS, do you know how I should correct my timing?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
If you're using a "attack" button for the Usmash then it means you input the Usmash before the dash attack. So you should try to dash attack earlier.

Now I have a question : is there anyone willing to make an up to date chain grab thread with all the buffered stuff ?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Shouldn't people know the chain grabs by now?
Well I just picked up Falco, so yes I should.
But I don't.
I have this thread Which is from 08 and last commentaries say it's incomplete (and they're from 09).

So I'm asking my question in a different way : is there anywhere on this board where I can find the latest informations about CGs ?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Something I've been wanting to test: Is Dthrow->Dair->fastfall autocancel(you need to wait a bit before you fast fall for it to auto cancel)->grab->Dthrow a true combo. When I time it perfectly my opponent can't shield before I grab them. Anyone want to test this out preferably frame-by-frame?

If it is a true combo, this will extend the CG by a good 10-20% before the follow up.

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
that doesnt seem to work imo, but i guess it could i just dont think that a ffdair would be fast enough to beat a shield or an airdodge.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
no. it is not, and wasnt evar
Have you tried it......if you don't autocancel at the right time, it's obvious that it won't combo, but if you do it's really fast.

SSSnake:
They can't airdodge. Dthrow->dair->hit the ground(or do that weird i'm-stuck-to-the-ground animation at low percents) is a true combo at CG percents.

I'm not talking about when they bounce. It's when they get stuck.

Marth's grab release dair on MK has to be near frame perfect, but it can be done. It might be the case for this.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm thinking the reason it's not a true combo is the same reason CG -> spike isn't a true 0-death if the opponent knows what to do. DI/SDI could affect where they land, wouldn't it?

Then there's the fact that autocancel might not be possible.

air release is a different matter for obvious reasons.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I'm thinking the reason it's not a true combo is the same reason CG -> spike isn't a true 0-death if the opponent knows what to do. DI/SDI could affect where they land, wouldn't it? This is why I want it tested.

Then there's the fact that autocancel might not be possible.
I know it autocancels at the right timing. I've done it.

air release is a different matter for obvious reasons.
I'm saying just because it doesn't look like it might work doesn't mean you can rule it out until you test it.
Comments in orange

swordsaint

Smash Master
I actually do it fairly often. It's not guaranteed, but it CAN work if the opponent isn't prepared. For example, knowing which roll is their fastest roll so they can dodge it.

That aside, SDI can affect it, and it's not a true combo. This has been called Falco's pillaring in Brawl before and it was tested some time back. As said, it only works if the enemy doesn't know what roll will get them out of it quicker.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
Is there a thread for playing as Falco in doubles? A lot of fairly even match-ups in singles, like MK, Marth, ROB, and Snake become a lot more difficult IMO in doubles. I need to learn a way to handle them well.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
That's one way around it.

But let's say you're stuck at the edge of MK's ftilt range, or ROB's dtilt range. What do you do then? Let's say you can't Phantasm behind them and if you move back, you'll get hit by your partner.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Solution: dont play falco in doubles
Xaltis played Falco in doubles in a recent tournament. He got 3rd with Poltergust going Luigi. Probably would have gotten 2nd if they had any prior teams practice together. It was the first tournament they teamed at.

Falco is good crowd control. He won't work in teams if you just run around and throw out attacks and grabs.

You really really want someone who can get early kills when using falco in doubles.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
But let's say you're stuck at the edge of MK's ftilt range, or ROB's dtilt range. What do you do then? Let's say you can't Phantasm behind them and if you move back, you'll get hit by your partner.
Any good options here?

swordsaint

Smash Master
Any good options here?
just ftr dude, i was serious about it's your teammates fault if he hits you. If you're not working well together because he can't focus on the whole screen and help you out, you should consider another partner that works with you better to cover your weaknesses.

however, jabs and jumping out of the way are also good ideas.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
If you're afraid of getting hit with Falco in doubles spam roll and spot dodge. Me and Tearbear were able to beat Mikehaze and Havok in set by me doing most of the set.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
just ftr dude, i was serious about it's your teammates fault if he hits you. If you're not working well together because he can't focus on the whole screen and help you out, you should consider another partner that works with you better to cover your weaknesses.

however, jabs and jumping out of the way are also good ideas.
ftr? oh nvm found it...for the record.

It's too bad ftilt and dtilt can be used in the air. It's also too bad that said moves don't have lag....oh wait...

If only there was a circular blocking mechanism that allowed you to not take damage when you got hit....oh wait...

Projectiles are cool too.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
Alright, and one last question - for crouching opponents, how do you do the "RAIN"? You know, the drop off the ledge, fast fall, and jump back facing the stage while lasering thing. The dropping off and fast falling is easy of course, but I have trouble turning around while shooting the lasers. Is there a good way to move the control stick to make this easy?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Alright, and one last question - for crouching opponents, how do you do the "RAIN"? You know, the drop off the ledge, fast fall, and jump back facing the stage while lasering thing. The dropping off and fast falling is easy of course, but I have trouble turning around while shooting the lasers. Is there a good way to move the control stick to make this easy?
You're holding towards the stage When you're DI-ing back onto it after the double jump.(duh) Let go of the control stick right before you're on the stage and press B. It should turn you around.

XxElwoodxX

Smash Rookie
I'm having two main problems since picking up Falco

1. Obviously Falco isn't great at killing and that's a small problem. Usually I'm leading the opponent in percentage usually like me having 20% of damage and inflicting about 100% or more thanks to cgs and lasers and jab. But when I go for the kill, I'm getting punished a lot for using my laggy smashes and that percentage lead goes away. So what I ask is how can I bait people into my smashes or make proper predictions in order to get the kill.

And lastly how do I follow up with a dair after a dthrow, I know you short hop rit after it but I can't get the timing right, especially when I want tod dair spike the opponent off the ledge after a cg.

Thanks in advance.

MulticolorShyGuy

Smash Cadet
I recently picked up falco, so I know what you're dealing with. Mindgames, mindgames help a ton with killing, when they're at kill % people will be expecting bair and f/usmash, I usually just stand around an extra second or two and then smash, walk away then fsmash back towards them. When they're in the air, read their airdodge and bair them, things get a lot easier the longer you play him, and most importantly, have fun with it.

I set my controls with L as jump so after the last dthrow (when you want to spike them) i can just dash forward, hit L quickly, then c stick down

Top Bottom