• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Psycho Meta Knight

Smash Apprentice
If someone is in the middle of the stage, they expect you to phantasm on stage. In that case, go for the ledge (firebird or phantasm for that is fine). If someone is hanging around the edge of the stage look at what they are doing on the stage. If they are charging an attack, go for the ledge (phantasm). Or go for a platform close to the edge of the stage. Keep your 2nd jump available to try to mess someone up with their timing.

Firebird is really only safe when someone is half the stage away from you.
Ok, thx for the info.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
My rival uses olimar a lot. One thing i don't know how to avoid is if he gets me in the air and does up air. If i air dodge the uair, he can follow my DI and do a bair/fair.

Any tips on how to avoid it? Fast falling is the best way I have found but usually I just finish recovering from tumbling and can't fast fall (I use air dodge for verticle KB. Should I use something else?)

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
How do i punish marths dancing blades when i shield the whole move to the last hit.

while i am facing him and out of grab range

also while i am not facing him

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
My rival uses olimar a lot. One thing i don't know how to avoid is if he gets me in the air and does up air. If i air dodge the uair, he can follow my DI and do a bair/fair.

Any tips on how to avoid it? Fast falling is the best way I have found but usually I just finish recovering from tumbling and can't fast fall (I use air dodge for verticle KB. Should I use something else?)
while you are coming down save your second jump. so instead of air dodging you can jump to change direction and avoid the frame trap.

swordsaint

Smash Master
How do i punish marths dancing blades when i shield the whole move to the last hit.

while i am facing him and out of grab range

also while i am not facing him
dont shield it all, you can punish the third hit, outside of grab range, upsmash would be fine

not facing him, probably OoS bair

Olimar's Uair is typically a multi-hitting move. You should be able to DI out of it somehow. Sadly, I have yet to really DI out of it consistently. So, I am not sure how to DI it properly.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Im already premium, but idk where to go to change my name. Also what would be a cool title for me if my name was Hot Wings?

Get me while im hot

^_^

J4pu

Smash Champion
anything new happen in brawl in the past 4 months or so?

yes, yes, I could use the search function, but come on, I'm too lazy for that and that would take a while to actually locate any noteworthy changes in the past months worth of time

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
quick question, for the boosted pivot grab am i supposed to buffer it like with BDACUS or is there another way?

also, is it just me or is Daffy Duck Falco the coolest skin? i think it's because he doesn't have a tail :laugh::psycho:

what is iirc? sorry for being a newb

anything new happen in brawl in the past 4 months or so?

yes, yes, I could use the search function, but come on, I'm too lazy for that and that would take a while to actually locate any noteworthy changes in the past months worth of time
Rain sort of popularized the run-off lasers. And BDacus idea. Was that made widely known 4 months ago?

Falco can get from ledge to first platform on BF with his 2nd jump airdodge into 2 frames landing lag and get a shield. Useful for recovery from ledge.

J4pu

Smash Champion
by run-off lasers you mean where you run off the stage then DJ back on with a DL?
if so that was known although not super popular, the BDACUS was brand new when i left, so it's really become useful then?

and that ledge DJ AD > platform landing sounds freakin awesome, next time I play brawl I'll have to try that out
thx for the info

Yeah, that exact thing you just said J4pu. The thing is that Rain used it quiet a lot during apex. And being a japanese player in an American tourney that is pretty big gets a lot of hype.

The timing is pretty strict on the double jump to airdodge. You pretty much have to pull back and press forward almost immediatly after letting go. Failure to do so means you fall just short of landing on the platform and airdodge goes into vulnerability. Careful when having your UpB to recover with when you double jump onto the platform. The extra landing lag sort of ruins this safe recovery method.

Denzi

Smash Master
The timing is pretty strict on the double jump to airdodge. You pretty much have to pull back and press forward almost immediatly after letting go. Failure to do so means you fall just short of landing on the platform and airdodge goes into vulnerability. Careful when having your UpB to recover with when you double jump onto the platform. The extra landing lag sort of ruins this safe recovery method.
Timing's easy if you can LHTL.

Which would also be something new in the last few months. Just (while on the ledge) press back and then immediately press up and start lasering. Obviously requires tap jump.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Timing's easy if you can LHTL.

Which would also be something new in the last few months. Just (while on the ledge) press back and then immediately press up and start lasering. Obviously requires tap jump.
What is LHTL? Drop off ledge and jump on stage while lasering?

Do many pros use tap jump? I turned it off ages ago when I couldn't tilt worth a turd

Denzi

Smash Master
What is LHTL? Drop off ledge and jump on stage while lasering?

Do many pros use tap jump? I turned it off ages ago when I couldn't tilt worth a turd
I keep it on for Usmash and easy aerials OoS, I know most players don't bother turning it off either.

Oh and Ledge Hopped Triple Lasers.

swordsaint

Smash Master
and with ledge hop triple lasers you also have run off triple lasers

I have a couple of Wario questions as well because I'm bad.

Q1 - How do I beat Wario's dair, and dair on shield?

Q2 - How do I beat Wario's nair on shield?

Q3 - What's the safest/most profitable way to avoid Wario's chaingrab?

Q4 - Aggressive or campy against Wario?

Q5 - Most reliable kill move on Wario?

Q6 - Our best stages against Wario?

Q7 - Do we have a good/safe spacing range for when Wario's above us in the air thinking about dairing us.?

Q8 - Other little tricksies we have on Wario?

Q9 - Should we chainspike him onstage or offstage and go for edgeguards?

Denzi

Smash Master

Utilt I'm pretty sure. Depending on which direction you're facing you might be able to Bair/Usmash OoS, but I don't think you can do anything if he spaces well enough.

Aerial/grab? I'm not really sure, sorta the same as Dair.

Just avoid the grab between 52-65%, and use the fact that he'll be going for the grab (and trying to avoid damaging you) to rack up some damage.

Probably force him to approach but don't just run away. We beat him on the ground and I'm pretty sure Jab and Utilt beat most of the optoins he has.

Lol none of our kill moves are really reliable. Just the standard Usmash/Fsmash/Bair/Uair. If you can force him to upB that's pretty much a free grab at the ledge, and that's a guaranteed Dair/Smash. If he air releases onstage you can land a smash, and certain spots on Yoshi's/Brinstar/Lylat can force the air release as well.

Not sure on this one, best to let someone else answer.

Q7 - Do we have a good/safe spacing range for when Wario's above us in the air thinking about dairing us.?
Utilt maybe, if I'm wrong run away and reverse SH(D)L.

Grab releases. Apparently if you CG Spike Wario and firebird above him it beats out DJ, UpB, and the bike, effectively ensuring gimp on him (at least the first time you try it).

Offstage.
Answers in quote.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i have a lot of experience in this matchup so i feel like I can have some input here.

if wario is SH nairing, you can bair it and I believe you can f tilt it when you aim it up.

If the wario is coming down from higher than SH height with his dair, you can nair and stuff the fk out of it. (nair is actually really good for stuffing a lot of aerial character that can usually give falco trouble)

I think you can jump cancel up smash out of shield between the hits of the nair. but thats very hard to time. if you want to just play it safe, you can usually just shield both hits and jab in whatever direction the wario is, but he can beat that with bite and f smash. So if you want to be REALLY safe, you can just roll away. falcos rolls are really good.

best way to beat warios chaingrab, do something blatent to bait the grab, spotdodge it, and punish with your favorite move.

you have to play agressive when the wario is aggresive, and campy when the wario is campy. Trying to hit the wario while hes trying to run away will just get you *****, and trying to run away from the wario when he is trying to get at you wont work either. let the wario dictate the pace of the game, and than beat him at his own game.

closest thing to a reliable kill move on wario is up smash. there are a lot of moves wario has that are punishable by a jump canceled up smash out of shield, and an unshield to hyphen smash/dacus. you just have to be quick with your punishes.
also, dont underestimate the idea of just f smashing in the direction that you think he is going to airdodge into. It can net some surprisingly low % kills.

best stage? probably a stage that impedes your normal falco game as LITTLE as possible. FD/BF would be my go tos.

two tricks I use against wario.
1. when he grabs the ledge. get up really close to the ledgeand f smash away from him. your basic run of the mill wario will ledge hop an airdodge right into the sweetspot for the f smash.
2. one time I saw atomsk play falco against some wario. he CG spiked him offstage and than used his double jump and timed his side b to spike wario back down after he jumps off the bike. if you can pull that off its an automatic stock if the wario doesnt have/use his fart.

lastly, definitely spike him offstage. and whenever possible, use ledgehopped invincible bairs to rack damage on him while hes offstage.

pulse131

Smash Ace

ya a good wario wont allow you punish but if they get greedy you can get a grab or bair OoS. if they do it alot see what they do after words and you can read them after that, usually.

more or less the same thing, make sure the shield blocks both hits and angle it up.

im not sure how much warios pummel does but you wanna avoid the grab 48-65 cuz at 48 he can pummel you once or twice before the grab and boom.
depends. most warios ive played are campy and looking for those ""garunteed hits''. if you play right, he has to approach at least a little. chances are hes gonna strike FD so go to battlefield.
since warios tend to airdodge often a good read is always good, maybe charge a smash or wait for it to end then bair. also grab release into almost anything.
japes, BF, FD. stay away from brinstar and lylat and frigate imo.
wait for him to get in range and shield it? o.o maybe nair i dont know.
you can grab him on the ledge into dair :) try not to phantasm to much hes got quite a bit of options to beat it like fsmash dair/fair or bite.
if his bike is onstage, YES. if not, be fully aware of what your up against and dont get yourself gimped. warios air attacks send people up tho, so usually if hes gonna kill you out of it it would prolly be a stage spike or waft, maybe the bike hitting if it can. basically play it safe as possible. for me when i get a chaingrab off on wario i usually just go for a spike onto the ground>jab>grab gatling combo

Arcadia

Smash Apprentice
My brother plays Wario, so I know the matchup pretty well, and I agree with KID for the most part.

I know that Wario's dair will beat Falco's nair when coming in at a 45 degree angle, other wise nair does beat out every aerial Wario has.

Platforms impede Wario's approaches, and being able to safely IAP unimpeded really helps, so I would avoid FD and cp either BF or PS1/SV. Lylat if you feel comforable. I think FD gives Wario too much room to manuever, and he doesn't die on that stage.

When Wario is lingering above you, depending on his spacing, you can safely either SH Nair > Utilt, FH Nair > Bair , or pivot grab/BPG.

Bike jump does not sweetspot the ledge, so you can runoff Bair for an easy gimp if he's going for the ledge, unless Wario has a waft, as usual.

swordsaint

Smash Master
as for stages ima disagree with kid but i got some good advice here.

battlefield makes warios air camping too good if he gets the lead.

FD makes it weird to avoid his cg

i usually take him to places like lylat or yoshis. yoshis slants are enough that if you get grabbed you can not get chaingrabbed at some spots.

but thanks anyway guys

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
all my spacies kinda die on lylat. I ban it almost always if Im playing falco or fighting snake (I cant see the explosives in the black background.)

pulse131

Smash Ace
i always ban frigate unless my opponents characters have an as bad or worse recovery, then i ditch lylat unless against a few specifics. (against icies ban FD, for example)

pulse131

Smash Ace
here in norcal, brinstars banned now. rainbow cruise almost got banned but it was a vote and it won by one vote.

swordsaint

Smash Master
...what?

are you silly?

It's good to take wario to brinstar. falco gets grab releases all day here.

anyway, kid, brinstars not the best stage because of it's size to begin with, and the you have other things like the way you can break the middle section and how it gets in the way of everything.

TKD

Smash Lord
/\ you can't grab a good wario easily

if i have time to oos bair after the third hit would i also have time to roll behind and jab insead or roll grab?
nevermind the jab; the roll finishes in more time than bair and usmash have start-up. you don't have that much time, only like 15~20 frames or something like that

swordsaint

Smash Master
/\ you can't grab a good wario easily

nevermind the jab; the roll finishes in more time than bair and usmash have start-up. you don't have that much time, only like 15~20 frames or something like that
you can't grab a good player easily. but you will get grabs.

that being said. i dont see many negatives to taking a wario here. feel free to tell me

pulse131

Smash Ace
wario is hella good in small spaces, and the small blast zones with his kill moves and whatnot. and the platforms there the camping is even more deadly.

swordsaint

Smash Master
falco isnt made to run away from wario. he's meant to play him up close because that's where he beats him.

the small blastzones work both ways.

the platforms aren't any more dangerous than battlefield for instance.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
eh no one answer my question so i will ask again, for a boosted pivot grab chaingrab are you supposed to buffer the action like with BDACUS or is tehr another way?
and i find that the daffy duck falco is the coolest sking, anyone else feel that way?

Top Bottom