• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Pitzer anything Pit related (Mechanics, and Technical stuff)

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Hello people, as you may know I'm Pitzer. Probably the most technical Pit possibly. I want to say some things. I've been thinking of making a thread for the sole purpose of people asking question about Pit's move's and stage dependence. Certain match-up information, times on stages transformation, also a list a moves that pit can throw out on full hops and short hops with out suffering from little to no landing lag. I may not have told you this but, whenever I play any character in brawl my job is to never be in a position where I have tremendous landing lag due to a poorly timed auto cancel. I'm very into Frame data, I have certain "combos" that can be used at certain percents, also I know a lot of buffering options. Now lets get to the basic's.

Auto Cancel.
Pits aerials are pretty good in terms of his damage output and weight class.
Sure they could be better but keep in mind that we can refresh them more easily than others.
Now Auto canceling the Aerials

Here's a List of his aerials auto canceled incorrectly putting you at a disadvantage in terms of landing lag
Slowest to Fastest of course.

Nair - Has the most landing lag if canceled incorrectly, reason why is Pit spins his Bow blades, when he lands he leans over. It looks like he's trying to prevent himself from getting cut by his blades.

Dair - Dair is our fastest aerial it comes out on frame 7. If landed incorrectly, his hand stops half way, like his blade got stuck on the ground.

Uair - If landed incorrectly, Pit seems to have landed on his foot incorrectly leaving him open to attacks.

Bair - Our strongest aerial in terms of knockback, landed incorrectly Pit over shoots his Lunge backwards landing on the ground, making it hard for him to get up.

Fair - Probably the fastest move auto canceled. If landed incorrectly he has a brief pause due to him landing on his feet at an awkward time.

Moves that can be SH Auto canceled perfectly

All of his moves with the exception of Uair can be SH, Uair has to be buffered if you're playing with Tap jump off.

This is truly a blessing for pit to be able to sh any aerial with no landing penalties

Full hoping.

Here's some things you probably already know some Full hop combo's or full hop double aerials

The term combo in this sense is not that they combo with each it thats they can be used in One Full hop.

FH Dair > Bair Probably most used for mix up's and for fishing a kill.
FH Dair > Fair Used for racking up damage and spacing.

FH Bair > Fair This is used for spacing.
FH Bair > Bair Pits basic desperate kill wall, do not fastfall the 2nd bair or you will suffer landing lag.

FH Uair > Bair* - My personal favorite, If you time this right Pits Bair will ALWAYS be a sweetspot. This is used for mindgames and killing.

FH Uair > Buffer Fair - I believe if buffered this can work.

Anything FullHop Fair is used for spacing.

FH Fair > Fair - Walling out basically
FH Fair > Uair* This seems rather Odd, but if done right your opponent will be out in a position if they dont have a jump you can easily bait out a move and pivot grab them.

Full hop Nair is lolz

FH Nair > Bair. If they smash behind you, bam bair.

Other FH Options

Full Hop Dair > Buffer FastFall > Buffer Side B - I use this a lot to bait spot dodges or get in that free damage. If you time this right Pit will slide on the ground like a normal side b on the ground would be, EXCEPT his starting lag isn't present.

Pit's True Combo's

Pit only has a few true combo's

The Basics:

F-throw, SS, F-smash. Works at 0%, best used on Mk, Snake, Diddy, Falco, Wario, Sopo, D3, ZSS, Fox, Pit, DK, Wolf, Sheik, Sonic, Ike, Lizardon (Charizrd), Bushigiso(Ivysaur), Mario, Bowser, Falcon, Link, Ganon.
Damage 27%-31%

F- Throw Buffer sliding Up-smash. Works at 0%, best used on Mk, Marth, Ic's (as in both), Olimar, Pikachu (strict timing easier for him to get out), G&W, Lucario, Tink, Kirby (same as pikachu), ROB, Peach, Luigi, Ness, Zenigame (Squirtle), Yoshi, Lucas, Samus, Jiggs, Zelda.
Damage 18%-32%

F throw Buffer walk Dtilt. Works at 0%, best used on people you can't reliable cg. Falco, Fox, Wolf, Ike, Falcon.
Damage 21% (if dtilt is not stale)

Chain Grab. F-throw x 6-7? F-smash
Works on, Snake, D3, Dk, Bowser, Charizard, Link
Damage = Weight and falling speed dependent, and stale on F-throw.
around from 47%-68%.

Wings of Icarus Aerial Tricks. (No Landing penalties)

This means while on the ground you WOI then input an aerial.

WOI > Nair
WOI > Fair - Sometimes you might wavebounce during the animations its possibly because you buffered a turn.
WOI > Bair - same as above you might buffer a turn which makes you move

Wings of Icarus Aerial Delay Tricks.

Certain moves like dair will make you have landing penalties to fix that you just hold up and flap pits wings for a certain number then to the aerial.

WOI > Hold up > Flap wings Twice > Dair - If you jam the C-stick down in any way he'll fastfall making it bad for you, he'll land with landing lag.

WOI > Hold up > Flap wings Three times > Uair - Not useful but eh.

I'll add more later.

Zulo

Smash Ace
I always thought it was windbox that came out on five..

Anyways, good guide. This might be kinda random and irrelevant, but does Dedede dodge our arrows by going too far into the z-axis on his spotdodge, like he does Fox's lasers?

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Yes, D3's Spot dodge is very good as he places half of his body besides his I believe Left foot through the Z axis. I know that Lucas can avoid our arrow with a timed F-Smash and Luigi can avoid our arrow with a timed Fireball.

WOI

Frames

1-4 Invul he lifts off the ground
Frame 5 he hit's his peak of his jump be hit out of this frames makes it so that you can't up-b again till you land on the ground
Frame 6 is when you are able to input a move.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I'd rather throw out a multi hit move. I mean once you get the percent lead camp the hell out of him. I guess in a sense aim at his feet, you can use the C-stick to bend arrows too. Just by buffering it after an arrow you can slightly angle it, you'll know if you're doing it wrong if you input a smash move.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
ptzr you forgot a true combo. if spaced proper, normal arrow shot>buffered dash attack is a true combo on everyone.

and you didn't mention any of the auto cancel sour bair>stuff (fsmash, usmash, jab, utilt, grab, dsmash, dtilt)

@people talking DDD spot dodge.

best solutions are AR and jab infinite. hands down.

ptzr, here's my question

is rising sour bair>crit bair a frame trap? i know it is near impossible to not land but i want to know if it is 100% inescapable if buffered correctly.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
It depends on di. I think it can combo. Again Di plays a role in any combos

Also, Arrow to Slow jab is a combo to. Im not gonna write it down till I get the percents noted

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Is nair safe on shield besides against people with a Dragon punch? How safe is jab on shield? What do you find as effective ways to wall out other people so they can't get in.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Jab isn't safe on shield people can buffer a Grab with Grab armor. Nair can be safe if you either SH nair and land behind them or Sh Dair buffer jump nair.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Actually you can fastfall during after the peak of a SH nair and it will still be autocanceled so if you land INSIDE their shield with that you can buffer an utilt. Nair isn't safe on big shields like DDD though.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i thought that was in the OP that nair can be ff auto cancelled out of short hop? i mean i knew it already because it is the same timing for marth's almost just without the combo abilities bar utilt like you said. which now that you mention i should use more since i love my nair. does anyone else use fh nair oos as a retreat?

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
FH retreating nair is starting to prove more useful to me, I think it is harder to DI out of if you're retreating with it rather than advancing with it because it seems to suck people in. I'm using it more now, it is very hard to punish like Dair camping.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I didn't finish reading all of the comments, but I SH w/ X, and I use c-stick, and it IS possible to uair, shorthop auto-cancel w/ out lag. I watched Masashi a ton and always wondered how he did it...you just have to be quick about it, idk if you have to buffer it out, probably not, but you CAN autocancel ALL of Pit's aerials.

You can also AC Nair quicker if you fastfall at about when 3/4 of the animation is done...

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
ya if you watch me vs razer's snake i do it in there. you just gotta have good timing broski. but i also have one of my 4 triggers set to jump (gotta love the amount of buttons on the CPro) so it's really easy for me

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Eh i'm just good at clawing cuz i use snake. You don't have to buffer ****. At least i don't think i buffer it when i do it xD. I might be buffering w/o knowing lol.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Auto Teching? Well you see the only character who can do that is Diddy... For some odd reason I haven't Auto teched with pit before I manually tech since teching is easy as hell since I played melee. lol

If you're really good at teching you can wall jump tech while getting hit out of your up-b, Wave bounce an arrow and make it back on FD. I did it once before. Lol.

I didn't finish reading all of the comments, but I SH w/ X, and I use c-stick, and it IS possible to uair, shorthop auto-cancel w/ out lag. I watched Masashi a ton and always wondered how he did it...you just have to be quick about it, idk if you have to buffer it out, probably not, but you CAN autocancel ALL of Pit's aerials.

You can also AC Nair quicker if you fastfall at about when 3/4 of the animation is done...
I buffer the uair when I hit the jump button I use Y to jump. Also yeah you can auto cancel the nair if you drop it at the right time, I think if you time it that way the last hit of nair pops people up with neutral Di.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Auto Teching? Well you see the only character who can do that is Diddy... For some odd reason I haven't Auto teched with pit before I manually tech since teching is easy as hell since I played melee. lol

If you're really good at teching you can wall jump tech while getting hit out of your up-b, Wave bounce an arrow and make it back on FD. I did it once before. Lol.

I buffer the uair when I hit the jump button I use Y to jump. Also yeah you can auto cancel the nair if you drop it at the right time, I think if you time it that way the last hit of nair pops people up with neutral Di.
I'll try to find the video. But there's this thing where if you get hit while wingdashing or something you auto tech anything if you get hit. I was curious as to why.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I'll try to find the video. But there's this thing where if you get hit while wingdashing or something you auto tech anything if you get hit. I was curious as to why.
Alright, if I see it maybe I can explain it. All I know is Diddy has an auto tech when he's knocked out of his Up-b during any of his up-b frame animation. That is really gay cause the rockets explode on you sometimes and stage spikes you lol

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
wait what? we don't have an auto tech. when we get hit out of WOI into the stage, we get stage spiked unless we manuelly tech it. unless im misunderstanding what you are talking about.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
wait what? we don't have an auto tech. when we get hit out of WOI into the stage, we get stage spiked unless we manuelly tech it. unless im misunderstanding what you are talking about.
I'll try to find the vid. It was super old. But it's when your ONSTAGE and DI DOWN into the stage you autotech. iirc it similar to diddy's situation that pitzr explained if iirc...

Top Bottom