• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Axs 3

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Well going based off attendance from previous events. (brawl wise) we did $5 at SS2 got 34. Did 7 at ss3 got 34. Did 7 at axs 1 got 35. Did 10 at AXS 2 and got 18 entrants.

Hard to determine if an increase in prices will have a return on attendance.

Sharky

Smash Master
increasing the prices would possibly encourage oos attendance, but would certainly decrease local college attendance. tough call.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Not just local college attendance but also general local region attendance. I know some players such as amber and stuff didn't want to enter due to the higher prices.

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
Venue reservation has been confirmed. If weather inhibits my volunteering this weekend, I'll probably start working on some fliers.

I'm excited for this (not the fliers, the tournament itself).

a nub

Smash Ace
We usually have to pay 10 venue/10 singles 5 dubs in tristate so I personally wouldn't complain about prices if they went up for more oos hype but $$ is a bit tighter for some ppl so idk

I'd say I wanna give some money to a pot bonus to keep prices lower and still boost oos attendance but flights home for the break and more books are gonna **** my bank account soon :(

:phone:

huMps

Smash Ace
If I could fill my car and split the gas and toll expense 4 or 5 ways I would have no problem paying a 10 dollar entry. Gas ***** so much harder than tourney fees. And playing m2k and oos players would be cool.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
No, leave Wobbling legal and every single IC's CG legal as well anyone who can't beat that **** doesn't deserve to win anyways

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I can take a vote on wobbling to determine legal/not-legal. I dont mind wobbling but i also dont play melee. So if people dont want wobbling banned it wont be banned

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Meh. it's easy to say "Don't get grabbed," but that is much harder to exercise in practice. Mashing out of wobbling is extreme difficult, and after a certain percent, becomes impossible. Like, 4 grabs = win. I still have split opinions on wobbling, personally, cause you shouldn't have to break your controller just to have some slim chance at a avoiding a 40-50 to death. But when put in the perspective of the ICs other traits, like short grab range, and limited approaches besides grabbing...

Ah, whatever. I'll try to go to this one. Maybe do better than, like, near to last.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
The community in general seems to be moving towards wobbling being legal. Off the top of my head, it was legal at Apex 2010, Genesis 2, and BEAST II, and will be legal at ROM 4 and Apex 2012. So, in an attempt to be as unbiased as possible, I think that this tournament should follow the example set by the largest national and international tournaments. It also isn't banned in the suggested MBR ruleset.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
The community in general seems to be moving towards wobbling being legal. Off the top of my head, it was legal at Apex 2010, Genesis 2, and BEAST II, and will be legal at ROM 4 and Apex 2012. So, in an attempt to be as unbiased as possible, I think that this tournament should follow the example set by the largest national and international tournaments. It also isn't banned in the suggested MBR ruleset.
couldnt agree more. but in the same vein i think we should also get rid of brinstar cruise and kongo. they werent legal at G2 and they arent gonna be legal at rom.

x13mako

Smash Ace
Meh. it's easy to say "Don't get grabbed," but that is much harder to exercise in practice. Mashing out of wobbling is extreme difficult, and after a certain percent, becomes impossible. Like, 4 grabs = win. I still have split opinions on wobbling, personally, cause you shouldn't have to break your controller just to have some slim chance at a avoiding a 40-50 to death..
I have to get in on this.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Right now I have a 45-55 chance of making it.

Positives:
- I have a plan to improve/maintain my grade average
- I can afford this
- It's close to my grandparents' house. (My parents visited them while I was at SS3)
- I can check out SU, to see what one of NY's largest colleges is like
- L-Don has more lenient parents then mine

Negatives:
- My parents are going to be bowling on Saturdays, so one of them has miss a day (and still pay for it to have their average counted) just to drive me.
- L-Don finally has hard classes in school.
- My classes have become more important than ever.

I'm going to try to make this. If I can't, I can't, but at least then I could say that I've tried.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Unless you can assign values to all those factors, I don't see how they translate to a 45-55 chance of attendance. Methinks someone is pulling numbers out of the air.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Unless you can assign values to all those factors, I don't see how they translate to a 45-55 chance of attendance. Methinks someone is pulling numbers out of the air.
I think it's close to even, but there's a slighter chance for me not being able to make it.

It's funny because I can relate it to a MU ratio. It may not be completely accurate, but it's an approximation.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Oh come on. Ban Brinstar, Kongo, and Cruise? Might as well ban Stadium, too. =P

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I can see Cruise and Brinstar, kind of. But Kongo? Spacies don't do that badly there.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
I can see Cruise and Brinstar, kind of. But Kongo? Spacies don't do that badly there.
Its not really about how these stages favor/do not favor certain characters, rather its about what type of game play these stages promote/enhance. all three stages degenerate into camping/runaway/non standard game play. While there's nothing wrong with that necessarily, if you have watched matches like Pinkshinobi vs Rockcrock you can see how those strategys are overly good or possibly even impossible to beat on those stages.

Personally I think this is probably the last change that we will see happen to the stages for melee. If you remember mute used to be a common counterpick(up until even genesis 1) but after pound4 and other big tourneys got rid of it, it hasn't been seen at almost any tourneys.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
=P Yeah, I liked Mute City. But I think Rockcrock, along with having made some mistakes, could have banned Kongo. Or even chosen another character. But I get what you're saying, a very large stage promotes running away/around. But I mean, do these stages have inherent qualities that promote strategies that are unbreakable/near unbreakable? Apparently, there are many that think so, but I'm not so sure.

Erkekjetter

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather fight the player, not the stage. That's my only problem with those counterpicks. You spend like half of your time manuevering the stage.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
couldnt agree more. but in the same vein i think we should also get rid of brinstar cruise and kongo. they werent legal at G2 and they arent gonna be legal at rom.
incorrect. kongo is still legit. rc and brinstar were banned. however, i prefer these stages legal. also i prefer wobbling banned, just so i can watch creative IC's do cool ****.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
M2K- not to discourage you from coming, but it probably won't be THAT big

but if you do come i'll play w/ you nonstop for the whole weekend if you want

and house you for the weekend

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I guess Alexei'll be taking me. He wants to do HELLA melee training with me, so we get it in.

Probably not entering brawl singles cause they're boring as ****, but who will team with me for doubles? c:

WAIT! M2K, PLEASE COME! We got this.

If M2K goes we pretty much get a lot more people to show up regardless.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
this is almost 5 hours away...

this better be rly big
it wont be. isnt this like the 3rd time youve talked about coming up here for a tourney?
I'd rather fight the player, not the stage. That's my only problem with those counterpicks. You spend like half of your time manuevering the stage.
if you dont like manuvering the stages, go play street fighter or something.
incorrect. kongo is still legit. rc and brinstar were banned. however, i prefer these stages legal. also i prefer wobbling banned, just so i can watch creative IC's do cool ****.
and lol at rockcrock vs pink being used to validate that cruddy arguement. ill beat any peach we have around here on that stage. and ganons not viable anyway so how does that even prove anything.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, the Pink vs. Rockcrock argument against Kongo doesn't really hold water. Maybe the Pink vs. Mango argument would, but no one mentions that one.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Da Kid - I actually do travel very far when I want to. I've taken 20 hour buses before from one midwest tourney to the next before. 4-5 hours compared to that is nothing, but I need to make good profit otherwise it's not worth it that's why I ask about attendance.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I reaaaaaaaallly want to play! If I tell Alexei about this, it should spark his interest a bit more.

AND WHO WANTS TO DO DOUBLES WITH ME?! omg... I'm a good doubles MK.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
M2k, if you want to make profit, then why don't you encourage people from the NYC or NJ to go and help us improve attendance. You know the community. Should be a piece of cake for you.

Edit: You should also come for the beastly upstate hype!

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
If M2K goes I'd expect a lot of tristate to go as well, as long as no other tourney conflicts with it. It'd also be cool to see Canada come again like they did back in SS2.

Regardless if M2K's going or not, I really pushing to make this. I haven't seen you guys in about 14 months!

huMps

Smash Ace
On one Goggles does more than any other Roc player to bring in new faces, for both brawl and melee. On the other he's an *** hole and just makes people mad. First hand being goggles in person, second being smashboards goggles.

Seeing as how I take people alot more seriously face to face, your alright kyle (: But reading your posts make me throw my hands around and cus like a true guido. (and you post so much lol)

M2k - you'll win everything, I'm pretty sure you'll at least break even, haha.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
On one Goggles does more than any other Roc player to bring in new faces, for both brawl and melee. On the other he's an *** hole and just makes people mad. First hand being goggles in person, second being smashboards goggles.
Lol that's kind of funny because now that I think about it, Goggles in person is way cooler than smashboards Goggles. I have seen plenty of people's "internet" personality vastly differ from their personality in person, but not to this extent.

M2K- you'll win everything, I'm pretty sure you'll at least break even, haha
Pretty much, and it's also good knowing that you'll win like every single money match offered to you, lol.

Top Bottom