• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B Move Edge Momentum Shifts

3GOD

Smash Ace
After my recent playing around with B-reversals, I've found that only certain moves can reverse the momentum from the edge slide/boost. The list of moves that can be reversed is here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166774

Also, I'm 100% Toon Link can get the reverse momentum off the edge with his Bow, but it's not as much of a boost as his Boomerang. I figure that the reverse momentum (not just turning and dropping straight down) means that it's a "slide/boost" move.

Another thing I've noticed is that the amount of boost you get seems dependent on how close to the edge you are when you perform the move. Sometimes I'll get a huge boomerang boost, and sometimes only moderate. Same result with Mario's Cape.

Another comment - reversing Donkey Kong's Side-B at the edge of a level is really good for evasion and countering, but it's also kind of dangerous if you accidentally do a Neutral-B.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
3GOD the reason that you can reverse the momentum with the bow is because you're simply using the momentum from falling off the platform with your running momentum and reversing it to make you go the opposite direction. It's the same mechanic as doing a B-reversal with a jump except that rather than jumping you're in the process of falling. I tested it to be sure. If you go on Summit and use the bow while running on the top level Link and Toon Link will both stop when they reach the ledge. I'm 100% sure it doesn't slide, it only seems like it because the move comes out so fast. It's reversable just like most B moves. Also if I remember right, when you reverse B moves that slide it looks like the top half of the character is going through the platform because it reverses it earlier than normally possible. So it looks slightly different than TL's bow does when you reverse it like this.

Also yeah the boost is dependent on where you use it from which is one way to easily tell if a move allows a boost since the actual boost timing can be difficult depending on the move. A boosted move if you mistime it will actually send you a shorter distance than you would by normally running off if you time it too early. So basically it's halting your horizontal momentum when it normally wouldn't. Just an odd side effect for if you mess up.

I was aware that some B moves couldn't be reversed but I never bothered to write it all out so good job on that thread. If only Lucas's Up B could be reverse it could be so epic with the boost. But oh well.

Ace55

Smash Lord
So this is why my friend sometimes does the captain falcon like side B hammer of the stage.

Top Bottom