• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Link ***** on stage now, it's scary (my friend mains Link)

It's a nightmare, but he still has a high learning curve

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
My friend and I had alot of trouble figuring out how to get it on the SD Card; we still don't know what we're doing wrong......

Shade_

Smash Ace
Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see how well the game develops to see what worked out in the balanced brawl, and what didn't.

I have another recommendation. That Fox's blaster should do 1% more damage, I think it's fairly agreeable he has the worst projectile in the game/still does. Short hop double laser only gave about 1-2% damage every hop, and it had limited range. Maybe not even 1% more damage, but half a % more damage would be good. It gets people to come to you, but Fox is "Always" on the short end of the stick when he fires against someone else with a projectile.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Blaster is far from useless (it's actually one of Fox's most important moves), and it doesn't need a buff. It isn't intended for hardcore camping, it's just supposed to be annoying and force approaches. When someone is playing defensively (turtling) and trying to zone Fox, Fox can use his lasers as a long range poke with transcendent priority to force openings in their defenses (which he can then exploit due to his speed) or to force them to abandon zoning altogether and have to approach. Without it, Fox could easily be brickwalled and shut down by several of the strong defensive characters in this game.

Moreover, it is critically important for negating Stale Moves to ensure that Fox can always kill when he needs to. When the opportunity to land that U-Smash finally presents itself it is essential that your opponent is killed, and Blaster provides that assurance in a safe, efficient manner. It also helps ensure that Fox gets a sufficient reward every time he exploits an opening and lands some punishing hits; Blaster ensures that the rest of his moveset is fresh (or at least, more fresh than it would be normally), so whatever attacks he uses to punish will deal maximum damage.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
I found a problem (although this has probably been stated before). As we know, you need to (or at least I need to) keep the SD card in if you want to use things like texture hacks, character hacks, and music hacks. However, I found that if the SD card is kept in and Cpt. Falcon uses his final smash, his final smash becomes so amazing, powerful, and epic that your wii can't handle it all and explodes. Okay, it doesn't explode, but it freezes/crashes, makes that loud, annoying buzzing sound that it does when it freezes, and you need to unplug it. :\

My friend and I had alot of trouble figuring out how to get it on the SD Card; we still don't know what we're doing wrong......
all I had to do was extract all of the contents onto the root of the SD card (make sure to merge the private folders as well as the folders in them). It does it all automatically after that.

The root of the SD card if you don't know is just...well...the SD card, not inside any folders or anything, the raw SD card file.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm not accusing you guys of screwing up or anything, and I'm not trying to start a giant fight. You guys did an amazing job, I just think that link's main problem was still not solved.
Link's main problem was a lack of reliable KO power.

Dead serious. I mean you could camp Snake to hell and back, but he would always survive to like 210%. And in general Link struggles to KO anyone before 130% in vBrawl without landing lucky D-airs or 2nd hit of F-smash.

Think of Link as a slightly inferior Olimar. Both are extremely good on stage with a great camp game that is difficult to approach. Link is only inferior because of his unsafe grab. Both are balanced by mediocre recovery.

Link's Up-B uncharged KOs most characters at like 90%, and fully charged, KOs people from like 40-50%. Considering that his Up-B is a great out of shield option, it's borderline broken minus the fact it has unsafe ending lag. Arrows are safe, and now can set up ledge traps and gimps over 9000 times better than they could before. Not to mention they have enough knockback to potentially kill.

Oh and D-tilt is a good KO move now.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah, a good Link shouldn't get gimped, aether that or you need to learn how to space. I think Link is now top tier material now, his KO power is too good. He'll space you to death and when he decides to KO, he'll do it. The best strategy against Link is to try to use his weight against him and get momentum going.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The real reason Link is a huge threat is because of his camp game imo. With arrows pushing people offstage, you'll have more opportunities to set up ledge traps and ****, and in general, this helps you be a homo and force people into bad positions while they approach.

Shade_

Smash Ace
His kill power definitely makes him a powerhouse now. And spacing has never been a problem for him.

His up B, uncharged, killed at around 140% in the original version, it's even worse when people DI (Which all good players will), I find it hard to believe it kills at 90% even in Balanced brawl, it definitely didn't feel like it when I played around with it.

There is no way links recovery is mediocre, with out momentum (when you have been hit in the air after trying to recover) it has no horizontal distance. It has also by default has terrible vertical distance.

There are only so many things Link can do when a MK run grabs, slides over to the end of the stage because of his momentum, and then lets link fall down off the edge. At this point link has two options, jump and up B back to the stage, jump airdodge and then up B back to the stage. Either way, at this point, MK's nair will go through or trade hits with link up B, and link is then too far to recover by then. Or MK can attack again by the time the air dodge is finished.

Also DK can easily grab Link walk off the edge, through him forward and then, Link is to far away to recover. This is at around 30% by the way. Syphus (spelling) does this a lot, and Link's recovery is just not good enough to get him out of situations like this.

Now, a good Link can probably give both the match ups I listed a run for their money, or even win. But that doesn't change the fact that those are two easy gimps that link doesn't have anything he can do about due to his Up B limits.

Mit

Smash Ace
His kill power definitely makes him a powerhouse now. And spacing has never been a problem for him.

His up B, uncharged, killed at around 140% in the original version, it's even worse when people DI (Which all good players will), I find it hard to believe it kills at 90% even in Balanced brawl, it definitely didn't feel like it when I played around with it.

There is no way links recovery is mediocre, with out momentum (when you have been hit in the air after trying to recover) it has no horizontal distance. It has also by default has terrible vertical distance.

There are only so many things Link can do when a MK run grabs, slides over to the end of the stage because of his momentum, and then lets link fall down off the edge. At this point link has two options, jump and up B back to the stage, jump airdodge and then up B back to the stage. Either way, at this point, MK's nair will go through or trade hits with link up B, and link is then too far to recover by then. Or MK can attack again by the time the air dodge is finished.

Also DK can easily grab Link walk off the edge, through him forward and then, Link is to far away to recover. This is at around 30% by the way. Syphus (spelling) does this a lot, and Link's recovery is just not good enough to get him out of situations like this.

Now, a good Link can probably give both the match ups I listed a run for their money, or even win. But that doesn't change the fact that those are two easy gimps that link doesn't have anything he can do about due to his Up B limits.
I don't know about the DK situation, but it sounds like a tether recovery would avoid that MK situation pretty easily.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
The important question is: Do either of those techniques make the match-up worse than 40-60 for Link? (i.e., 30-70 disadvantage or worse.)

It's okay for characters to have weaknesses, even major weaknesses, so long as they have sufficient strengths to compensate, and so long as those weaknesses do not result in any unwinnable match-ups.

It's important to remember that weaknesses define a character just as much as strengths --perhaps even more so. For this reason, so long as the weaknesses can be overcome or they aren't crippling, it is better to leave them be.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty sure Link vs Donkey Kong is one of Link's better matchups...you can camp him a lot and he doesn't have a lot of options to get past that safely. Also Donkey Kong is SO EASY to D-air edgeguard.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Well, I guess we will see if these weaknesses can be overcome. No point in theoretical arguments right, I'll just mess around some more.

Just to clarify, no, Link can't tether recover from the MK grab release, the majority of the distance Link is falling he is in his "Getting out of grab" Animation. Which is what makes recovering near impossible.

But, I'm still pleased with the other upgrades Link has, so I'll stop complaining now.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
You can thank Lucas and Ness for that! Otherwise we'd still have that gay grab release

And Wario for jump break (although this release has nothing to do with jump break)

D

Deleted member

I finally got this and played it and I really liked everything except 1 thing.

Your hyrule temple is ***. Dropping the bottom takes away any fun the stage might have been, but keeping it large and allowing players to camp the side and middle doesn't solve its problem of being campy to where it is unplayable. You would be better off leaving it alone so it can at least be a fun stage for non-competitive play.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
It would be an interesting stage if concentrated to the middle only.

Also, I played a match on New Pork City the other night. My opponent and I agreed to stay on the top left area. It was a great match, and I think this needs to be implemented on the update.

TP

Smash Master
Good to hear you like this, Umbreon. Please keep spreading the word about it.

I agree about Temple, and I'm pretty sure Thinkaman does too.

:034:

Mit

Smash Ace
I think Temple would be okay if the lower boundary could be a bit more deep (and thus fix the camera issue when you're on the right side of temple). As they previously stated, though, they'd need some kind of hack that can change collision detection of pieces of levels (which could fix both Temple and Spear Pillar's high lower boundaries).

Temple I believe is okay save for that, though. It's supposed to be balanced due to the low ceiling and close left/right boundaries. So even if someone camps in the middle a lot, you can try focusing on vertical kills (or even smashing them down into the lower hall leading to the now dangerous lower level of Temple). It does however still have a wall in it. Are walls okay in BBrawl?

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
First time we played Brawl Balanced online, everything was pretty smooth and good. My friend had to go so I decided to delete everything from SD and added Brawl+ to SD and played around with Geno PSA and Brawl+. I decided to delete Brawl+ and added Balanced Brawl back.

Now I can't play Balanced Brawl online properly, since it would disconnected us or read our opponents' position (online) wrong. For example, Opponent would be stand around and jumped around awhile my friend from other side, played differently.

Can anyone help me with this? (Is it because of leftover cache or what?)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
First time we played Brawl Balanced online, everything was pretty smooth and good. My friend had to go so I decided to delete everything from SD and added Brawl+ to SD and played around with Geno PSA and Brawl+. I decided to delete Brawl+ and added Balanced Brawl back.

Now I can't play Balanced Brawl online properly, since it would disconnected us or read our opponents' position (online) wrong. For example, Opponent would be stand around and jumped around awhile my friend from other side, played differently.

Can anyone help me with this? (Is it because of leftover cache or what?)
Yeah, It's because of the .pac system... Here is a link to something you should find useful:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246995

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
true, but this doesn't require you to use the computer...

anyway, it's just a suggestion (I haven't tried it out yet, because I could care less about brawl+)

Alphatron

Smash Champion
He could have a small capacity SD card, in which case deleting everything would actually work better for him.

Mit

Smash Ace
So, me and a couple friends were playing on Green Greens today, and I don't know what we did to cause this, but we somehow generated a big explosion zone in one of the falling block columns. It was after we blew up a bunch of bombs in one of them. After that, a large section above the blocks at the bottom of the stack caused you to explode as if you'd been hit by a bomb block (even though there was nothing there).

We might upload the video sometime. I don't know if this was caused by mods or if it's a Brawl glitch.

EDIT: Nevermind I guess it's a known normal Brawl glitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLRvdBlt9qg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom