• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Thanks. Would that work for SD card trick (I meant I never have any homebrew channel since I preferred SD method)

Plus, I read other messages, I deleted whole folder/files in SD card and copy/pasted balanced brawl from laptop to sd. (there shouldn't be any .pac in balanced brawl)

Unless you meant CACHE?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
M2K will still **** your socks, want more, and then go for your gloves, with bMK. All he needs is dAir.

Jeez. I should find an M2K video and play the Halberd Escape Theme over it, luls.

xatm092

Smash Apprentice
Meta Knight me now be just as good as all the other characters, but this doesn't mean the best MK player in the world is no longer gonna **** you =P

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Metaknight is still clearly a top character...no longer the best character though. He has to get kills with D-air, F-smash, Down-B, or 2nd hit of D-smash, which are much more manageable to avoid than his overpowered vBrawl first hit of D-smash and Up-B.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Seeking clarification: Does BBrawl still work via Stack Smash under System Menu 4.2?

If the 4.2 installer wasn't the software equivalent of an (unnecessary and ineffectual) emergency organ transplant where donor compatibility is uncertain and the doctor performing the surgery received his degree from an unaccredited and incompetent institution with a history of turning out equally incompetent graduates, I would just install it myself and test; but I'd rather not risk bricking my unmodified (aside from constantly running BBrawl via Stack Smash) Wii in a game of Nintendo-sanctioned roulette, especially if someone else has already taken the risk.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It will always work unless they LITERALLY steal (or recall) your brawl copy and fix our way in... and that's not going to happen

Also Nintendo is just trying to stop pirating as their first priority, so right now, they're just trying to get rid of homebrew, they don't care that much about stacksmash... yet...

Edit: Ninja'd

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
technically, nobody's pirating because most hacking methods are still needing an original copy.
What we're doing is abusing of Wii's security flawls (which are absurdly bad), and unless someone begins getting money directly of it, is still legal.
At least, here is managed like that... but may I can be wrong about most other places, Mexico haven't too much technologies legal templates anyways =P

my point is that I don't know why Nintendo is complaining that much

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
and..... how to make even more money after selling the product? =/
or I'm just too silly to figure out how they're "missing" it?

EDIT:
Now, I am able to see what you are talking about. You are talking about Balanced Brawl... got it.

I looked at the change list, and other than the Dsmash buff, I'm not seeing anything that made her better. Her jab sucked in Brawl and it still sucks with BB. Lower the damage and knockback to get another hit. Does it still hit 7% or less? I don't know, but I can't see how it helps her.

Speeding up the end of Ftilt does not make up for Ftilt being really slow to come out. FSmash, like in vBrawl will still be the safer move in nearly every situation. Plus, the initial knockback was reduced but growth was increased... it appears as though they nerfed the sweetspot. Is this suppose to make it combo?

Nair buffed but it really doesn't seem to do much difference from what I see.

Bthrow buff is to try and get it to kill I assume. B+ did this too, and it is good, but her grab still is slow as dirt.

And, I don't understand the changes to FW. Why was that even touched? We don't use it to attack because we'll be punished majorly.

I'd like to hear your input on this because the changes seem to have little impact on her game except for DSmash.
Said on Zelda's Social Thread.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Did Bandit play with her like this or just read the list? Some things suggest he just read and thought while others suggest he actually played so I'm unclear (maybe he only played a little?).

Anyway...

For one, I'd like to remind you that Zelda is supposed to be somewhat usable alone, but the real gem here is how she compliments Sheik (the inverse is true; Sheik is somewhat usable alone but really is meant to shine when paired with Zelda). Things like bthrow really fit into this. Yeah, Zelda has an atrocious grab; it's hard to decide whether Zelda or Zero Suit Samus has the worst grab in the game (both really, really suck but have different minor things about them that are good). However, bthrow is a nice killer so if Zelda just popped out, you might get a surprise grab to kill and then switch right back to Sheik in some matchups. It's definitely really nice to have since before landing a grab in those situations wasn't even really that helpful (if you are wanting to rack damage in most matchups as Z&S, Sheik just does it so much better that you are getting fairly little out of things like Zelda's risky grab to rack damage). There are no illusions about grabbing suddenly being that huge for her, but it being another, if less traveled, path to her getting early kills should be welcome.

Okay, jab and ftilt kinda need discussion together. Jab actually kinda leads into ftilt. I don't know if it's a true combo and don't think it's that important; it's something you can land in real matches. Likewise, ftilt -> usmash is in that boat. Actually, I'm pretty sure that one is not a true combo, but it kinda sets up for it well enough that the opponent is in a tough situation to avoid usmash so the advantage is pretty nice. I mean, we don't have any illusions about Brawl and combos; they aren't what moves do (most of the time; there are notable exceptions to which we have no philosophical objection). They give you a position from which you are in the advantage of the prediction game and likely to land something good, and now Zelda's jab and ftilt are like that whereas before they weren't and just weren't really that good to hit with. Ftilt has another boon to it, and that's that it's a pretty safe poke, and with the way it can be angled, Zelda can use ftilt to control a lot of space in front of her. Zelda's poking and spatial control game in standard Brawl is just beyond awful, and our playtesting suggests that her having ftilt as an option for it dramatically helps her. Overall, her poking and spatial control game is still mediocre at best no doubt, but having at least something seems like a big deal.

It's also far harder for opponents to SDI out of Zelda's forward smash now. There were players who were doing that consistently, and it was a killjoy for Zelda to say the least (when one of your kill moves is not a kill move). Removing that should really help her accomplish her purpose as well. With the dsmash buff, as noted and appreciated, you notice that Zelda is set to be able to count on all three of her smashes to kill low.

Farore's Wind was designed as a parlor trick really. Zelda can be kinda bland so we decided to add something flashy to her game. Personally, I don't expect Farore's Wind's new mechanics to be used every once in a blue moon, but when it does come into play, it's really flashy and generally awesome. Some people seem to think it's legitimately good, and if they're right, that's interesting. However, our original design did not presume this was particularly helpful so much as a nice little bonus.

Nair isn't that big of a deal, but it's nice. Zelda's nair is her only aerial that controls any significant space at all, and she now gets a little better reward for opponents violating that space inappropriately (somehow interpret this as non-sexual please). Again, it's moving her spatial game from "beyond horrible to the point of being nearly non-existent" to "still mediocre but good enough so she can work with it".

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
When you say worst grab, what exactly is your basis?

The worst shieldgrab is technically Yoshi's (although I could see Zelda's being a close 2nd). Worst pivot grab is Captain Falcon's. Worst Dashgrab is probably Lucas's.

Zelda's Dashgrab if I recall is actually okay.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I thought Samus or Zamus had the worst pivot grabs. Like...3 seconds of cooldown. wtf?
The point of pivot grabbing is being able to grab someone while retreating.

If your pivot grab is slow and doesn't have real range, like CF's, it sucks a lot.

At least with Samus or Zamus, you have range to punish whiffed approaches.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I mean worst overall, factoring in the usefulness of all three grabs (standing, running, pivot). Obviously Yoshi has a worse standing grab than Zelda, but Yoshi's overall ability to grab is better thanks to his somewhat decent running grab and excellent pivot grab. It's a subjective value statement, not a scientific one.

Also, Lucas's running grab isn't that bad. I mean, it's hardly exceptional, but to claim it's worse than Zero Suit Samus's is... extreme. It's probably about average as far as running grabs go; most tether characters have pretty alright running grabs (exceptions: Link, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus).

Linkshot forgot Olimar.

Also guys, sorry I haven't been as active here as I should be. Life isn't slamming me as hard as it is Thinkaman; I'll try to catch up on commenting on things for the team.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Did Bandit play with her like this or just read the list? Some things suggest he just read and thought while others suggest he actually played so I'm unclear (maybe he only played a little?).

Anyway...

For one, I'd like to remind you that Zelda is supposed to be somewhat usable alone, but the real gem here is how she compliments Sheik (the inverse is true; Sheik is somewhat usable alone but really is meant to shine when paired with Zelda). Things like bthrow really fit into this. Yeah, Zelda has an atrocious grab; it's hard to decide whether Zelda or Zero Suit Samus has the worst grab in the game (both really, really suck but have different minor things about them that are good). However, bthrow is a nice killer so if Zelda just popped out, you might get a surprise grab to kill and then switch right back to Sheik in some matchups. It's definitely really nice to have since before landing a grab in those situations wasn't even really that helpful (if you are wanting to rack damage in most matchups as Z&S, Sheik just does it so much better that you are getting fairly little out of things like Zelda's risky grab to rack damage). There are no illusions about grabbing suddenly being that huge for her, but it being another, if less traveled, path to her getting early kills should be welcome.

Okay, jab and ftilt kinda need discussion together. Jab actually kinda leads into ftilt. I don't know if it's a true combo and don't think it's that important; it's something you can land in real matches. Likewise, ftilt -> usmash is in that boat. Actually, I'm pretty sure that one is not a true combo, but it kinda sets up for it well enough that the opponent is in a tough situation to avoid usmash so the advantage is pretty nice. I mean, we don't have any illusions about Brawl and combos; they aren't what moves do (most of the time; there are notable exceptions to which we have no philosophical objection). They give you a position from which you are in the advantage of the prediction game and likely to land something good, and now Zelda's jab and ftilt are like that whereas before they weren't and just weren't really that good to hit with. Ftilt has another boon to it, and that's that it's a pretty safe poke, and with the way it can be angled, Zelda can use ftilt to control a lot of space in front of her. Zelda's poking and spatial control game in standard Brawl is just beyond awful, and our playtesting suggests that her having ftilt as an option for it dramatically helps her. Overall, her poking and spatial control game is still mediocre at best no doubt, but having at least something seems like a big deal.

It's also far harder for opponents to SDI out of Zelda's forward smash now. There were players who were doing that consistently, and it was a killjoy for Zelda to say the least (when one of your kill moves is not a kill move). Removing that should really help her accomplish her purpose as well. With the dsmash buff, as noted and appreciated, you notice that Zelda is set to be able to count on all three of her smashes to kill low.

Farore's Wind was designed as a parlor trick really. Zelda can be kinda bland so we decided to add something flashy to her game. Personally, I don't expect Farore's Wind's new mechanics to be used every once in a blue moon, but when it does come into play, it's really flashy and generally awesome. Some people seem to think it's legitimately good, and if they're right, that's interesting. However, our original design did not presume this was particularly helpful so much as a nice little bonus.

Nair isn't that big of a deal, but it's nice. Zelda's nair is her only aerial that controls any significant space at all, and she now gets a little better reward for opponents violating that space inappropriately (somehow interpret this as non-sexual please). Again, it's moving her spatial game from "beyond horrible to the point of being nearly non-existent" to "still mediocre but good enough so she can work with it".
Here goes me posting again, hopefully not to be ignored this time.
I use Zelda/Sheik so I thought id give some feed back.

I personally use Farore's wind a lot with wind canceling(which can now spike and thats awesome)
And I often use it from above, It's hard for most of people to predict exactly where she lands
and if they do get ht by it its a sure set up for a combo
I also think her jab is fine with the flower effect and it doesn't need to be an amazing move it doesn't "suck" I never really used it unless it was an accident but it knocks the enemy away so that's one thing about it.

The F tilt is better for the Peach match up as it gives her something to cut through Peach's approach when shes floating near the ground and it helps her as you put it "poke" through defenses somewhat, though having it combo into Usmash will take some getting used to.
As for her grab game it seems the back throw always has a diagonally upward angle behind Zelda.
In vBrawl it would sometimes send characters straight back which was a little more useful for killing IMO and with her Dsmash I know the angle was changed so it couldn't be teched but that RARELY ever happened, It was really useful when it semi spiked for match ups like Olimar and Falco.
I like the change to F Smash, its frustrating knowing that a move should kill and it randomly doesn't and U tilt seems more reliable and there are more opportunities to use it.
I think when that Bandit guy meant we never use Farore's wind meant because it didn't really have many uses in vBrawl I think he needs to learn to adjust Bbrawl and see that some attacks can now be used in different ways, If hes got a problem with that he can stick to vBrawl :/.
Then again I supposed I don't play like most Zelda users so I wouldn't fit into that "We" category.

One of her main problems in my opinion is how incredible easy it is to edge hog, though now that Farore's wind spikes people will likely think twice before jumping on the edge.
The biggest issue with it is how long she is unable to move after finishing in the air.
Wolf also shares this problem, when recovering from if she doesn't sweet spot the edge(which is already difficult to do) she just falls to her death due to her inability to move.

As for Sheik I didn't really think she needed many changes but I think she may be a little worse off with out her tilt lock.
It can hardly even combo 3 times and it used to be a major help on match ups against heavy weights.

Oh and about Zelda's grab, I never really thought it was "horrible" maybe because I don't use any other characters than Zelda/Sheik but it works for me.
It is sorta slow but it has decent range and her throws do nice damage.

I appreciate the non helplessness after using Din's aerial.
I use it when returning to the stage from above to attack and sometimes KO characters such as MK or ZSS when they jump up to attack with an aerial.
It gets really predictable and most opponents just start to shield and wait to edge hog or punish her as she falls back down.
Thanks to the new mechanic she has more options after using it.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I mean worst overall, factoring in the usefulness of all three grabs (standing, running, pivot). Obviously Yoshi has a worse standing grab than Zelda, but Yoshi's overall ability to grab is better thanks to his somewhat decent running grab and excellent pivot grab. It's a subjective value statement, not a scientific one.

Also, Lucas's running grab isn't that bad. I mean, it's hardly exceptional, but to claim it's worse than Zero Suit Samus's is... extreme. It's probably about average as far as running grabs go; most tether characters have pretty alright running grabs (exceptions: Link, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus).

Linkshot forgot Olimar.

Also guys, sorry I haven't been as active here as I should be. Life isn't slamming me as hard as it is Thinkaman; I'll try to catch up on commenting on things for the team.
DK's dash grab is terrible. Probably the worst non-tether grab. I think best dash grab has Charizard.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
DK's dash grab is terrible. Probably the worst non-tether grab. I think best dash grab has Charizard.
it has good range, standard speed, and is the second fastest to end in the game behind ness's. i never realized it but zard's dash grab IS really good.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
it has good range, standard speed, and is the second fastest to end in the game behind ness's. i never realized it but zard's dash grab IS really good.
It's horrible. It has far shorter range than his standing grab: If you quick dash grab it'll have shorter range than his standing grab. And for Charizard he has pretty long dash grab compared to DDD and not a massive ending lag like DK. And I can't believe DK isn't very punishable for mising a dash grab.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Ness has a better dash grab than Charizard, with Diddy being better as well.
Not entirely sure about the worst, however.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lucas's Dashgrab comes out on the same frame, but has less range as I recall.

ZSS's grabs in general can be set up through use of Paralyzer for combos, which is also something her grab game has that Lucas really doesn't.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Still, Lucas can't techchase, so why should ZSS. We just have to get used to the fact that their grab works differently and you can sheild grab alot more moves. It's part of playing the characters. (Sheid grabbing Metaknights D-smash is fun). So to say just because it's like ZSS's or Lucas' is to say it has range. That's why Zelda's is the worst, because it's slow and has little range to compensate.

flaco

The Terminator
how much you work on these it will never be a another melle...Melle is just legit example there will be no l cancel no wd and n o tec so yea

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
this has no intention of being even close to melee. if you want all the fast movement and combos and stuff go to brawl +. this is intended for the people who like brawl but disllike the balance/gay crap.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
how much you work on these it will never be a another melle...Melle is just legit example there will be no l cancel no wd and n o tec so yea
You're under the wrong boards... go to the Brawl +. We never had any intention of ever adding any hitstun or gay crap like that. We just wanted to play an acutal balanced game.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Obvious troll is obvious guys. Anyone knows to come over to the brawl+ topics when making that incorrect statement anyway. The fact that he posted that here should have been a smack in the face.

Edit: I was tempted to say something about Rocket's post, but at this point I know better.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
It's horrible. It has far shorter range than his standing grab: If you quick dash grab it'll have shorter range than his standing grab. And for Charizard he has pretty long dash grab compared to DDD and not a massive ending lag like DK. And I can't believe DK isn't very punishable for mising a dash grab.
actually i was referring to charizard when i made those descriptions, not dk. :p

all of ness' grabs are ridiculously quick (6 frames all around) but he also has below average range.

MysticGospel

Smash Cadet
I'm having a problem with launching BB, I keep on getting a disc read error when I try to launch BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom