• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #11: Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Lee took 4th at Apex. I feel the need to mention that Lee SHARES my opinion of Lucario.

If the word "gimmick" and the rest of my wording so soundly offends you, that I will simply say that I feel Lucario's playstyle and options are only effective because people are ignorant of the counters. In this thread, I have actually extensively detailed those counters, and the only responses given are those to call me out on using personal examples, claiming that I'm incorrect without providing any example of why or counter strategies to the strategies I have proposed and personally used, and claiming that I am unable to be argued with, when I frequently change my mind about all manner of topics, including characters.

I find it amusing that you take such personal offense as if I had said something about you as a player directly, as opposed to listing information about a character, however it is no longer irrelevant. Most of the slander towards a particular person was directed at me, and I am not particularly wounded.

You are completely capable of searching out the counter Lucario strategies of other top players yourself. However, I personally use my own strategies, and feel that I am one of the best players at understanding Lucario's weaknesses. Ksizzle, probably Lee, and probably RJ (and probably Zucco) also feel this way. I cannot say for certain, but I'm sure they would be happy to give their opinions if asked. I used myself frequently as an example, because I was discussing a strategy that I personally invented and employ. If this strategy is indeed effective vs. Lucario, then I don't see how you can really argue that I am not justified in my claims. No one here has yet to include a reason why this strategy should fail, and I have at least given evidence of why this strategy succeeds.

In this post, I have eliminated the use of all hyperbole, and tamed down the language, although my claims are still the same. Perhaps in this fashion I can elicit a reasonable response from you.

Additionally, I feel I am justified in having a high opinion of myself, because my wealth of knowledge is both obvious and widely celebrated, and I have many accomplishments both in the community and in gameplay. I did not come here to "toot my own horn" if you will, however I am at the point in my Smash career when I find it both blasphemous and insulting when people discard my claims and detailed and studied research and information, simply dismissing it as theory-craft as if I were some '09 casual scrub.

It is positively ridiculous that you make all these claims against me but you yourself are the one who has virtually no argument against what I'm saying whatsoever, barring that Lucario produces tournament results. Lucario has NOT been beating top MetaKnights at any rate even fathomable of mention. Only in one isolated region (MD/VA) does a Lucario reign dominant (JuneBug) and this is a region that is famed for having few MK, and having many different successful characters who are clearly sub-par (Boss with Luigi, Chu with Kirby, Pyronic Star with Olimar). The other top Lucarios except for Zucco include Ksizzle and Lee Martin, both of whom are top Metaknights. Obviously, I mean absolutely no disrespect to either player, and openly acknowledge their skill. To be fair, I did not include Trela, who I've heard is relatively good, but I'm not sure of Trela's placings or accomplishments, so I am refraining to speak on that until I'm further educated, as I feel my examples are sufficient.

Furthermore, my initial claim was that Lucario's success is one due to a lack of knowledge on how to combat the character. Most of my post discusses this, so I don't actually see how his current successes are exceedingly powerful arguments against my claim.

I noticed you mentioned camping as a strategy for Lucario. However, despite Lucario's amazing walls, he is heavily susceptible by many characters to bursting approaches. After zoning Lucario's weakspot (as mentioned in previous posts, this is the range that covers Lucario's roll while remaining safe from his Fsmash, leaving you with time to react to Fair or some method of grounded approach) one can simply use a standard approach at random. Lucario's lacking grab range or fast ground moves leaves him hard pressed to punish things, leaving him with his roll as a primary escape, but leaving him hard pressed to always defend against every approach, and not able to easily take advantage of an opponent's approaches. Lucario INTENT on avoiding damage can heavily accomplish this against characters with either sub-par range, approaches, or projectiles, but that is pretty much exclusive of the characters that matter (except Pikachu, and at times Olimar).

In short, camping with Lucario is effective until the opponent decides to camp back. Considering that it is not common for Lucario to begin the match with a lead due to Aura, this is pretty effective. Only a couple of characters actually fall prey to getting wrecked by Lucario's camping. With many slow start-ups on some of his most effective walling tools, Lucario is vulnerable to powershielding, and good Dash Attacks.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Additionally, I feel I am justified in having a high opinion of myself, because my wealth of knowledge is both obvious and widely celebrated, and I have many accomplishments both in the community and in gameplay. I did not come here to "toot my own horn" if you will, however I am at the point in my Smash career when I find it both blasphemous and insulting when people discard my claims and detailed and studied research and information, simply dismissing it as theory-craft as if I were some '09 casual scrub.
Hypocrites always try to play innocent.

Browny

Smash Hater
Furthermore, my initial claim was that Lucario's success is one due to a lack of knowledge on how to combat the character. Most of my post discusses this, so I don't actually see how his current successes are exceedingly powerful arguments against my claim.
Except thats WHAT EVERYONE SAYS ABOUT EVERY CHARACTER THEY THINK IS BAD.

From the top of the tier list with people abusing those who complain about MK/Snake needing to learn the matchup to johning for other players to losing to low-tiers, no character escapes this criticism. Whats stopping us from saying the only reason Lucario doesnt place HIGHER is because he isnt playing his top-tier matchups in the most effective manner? No one can prove anything.

Lucario has NOT been beating top MetaKnights at any rate even fathomable of mention
He's been doing just as well or far better than the entire cast excepting MK, Snake, diddy and falco, so now what?

I still wanna hear back from these guys...
one of the most overpowered mechanics in the game
I'm pretty much in agreement with MMM.
It's really just the aura that helps Lucario at all.
Aura is most DEFINITELY NOT win-win. There is no beneficial situation you can assume Lucario will be in that we can not negate with an equally likely, equally effective downside.

Steam

Smash Hero
if you keep in mind that lucario's base power is at 75%, aura actually hurts him in most matchups >.>

now in doubles it makes us top tier, but that's a different story

iRJi

Smash Champion
Originally Posted by Pierce7d View Post
Lucario has NOT been beating top MetaKnights at any rate even fathomable of mention
I would like to say Ksizzle has done this numorus times over and over. He never provides videos of it because he likes to keep those private.

I would also like to mention that Lucario players as a whole are all under developed as players. Apex helped me confirmed this, as most of the Lucario mains could increase their game-play by a incredible amount. It's nice that Lee took 4th, but also keep in mind (And there is no denying it either, cause I actually took the time and watched a lot of his matches) that he went Metaknight for about 80% of the tournament, only using him against Lain, M2k (And he did that for 2 reasons, one being he knows he can't win the ditto, and another is that he wanted to try to beat him with Lucario out of a "I know I can do it" thing, I heard him talking about it prior to the match)

As for me, After Apex there were a few things I have learned that helped my game a bit with lucario. I also realized that us as players are poor, because our community is limited. We don't share our thoughts or videos, and we don't theory craft anything. We don't play with each other and share idea's and beliefs because we are all separated across the US to a point where we can't see each other unless it is a regional or something of that sort. To think I learned so much about my character at apex after watching all of my community play, both greats and flaws, really shocked me. I picked up a lot of lee, but I finally got to see his flaws as a player of Lucario up close. Same goes for Trela and Junebug. I picked up on completely different play styles that I have never witnessed in my life before with this character after Apex, both the greats and the flaws about them also.

I sit here typing this out as sincerely as possible, because after apex, I can 100% confirm that our character is far from a gimmick, but yet under developed on our options due to the lack of community share and player skill. I refuse to argue this, because frankly I would rather show with results then play story time all day. Theory crafting and actual play go separate ways when you are actually playing the game up front. You can speculate the outcome, but because of the games inconsistency on occurrence of actual events, It makes it irrelivent. I can say that Snake is way over rated because of his exploits of options as a character, but in play it's different.

I will let the BBR argue about this as much as they want at this point. I will still say that the character is NOT a gimmick, but rather we lack player skill to back up our statements.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
RJ after seeing what brood accomplished, i believe your notion of community sharing of thoughts n ideas on lucario, this concept applies to all character boards not just here

we all could, would and should be more in it to advance the meta game, but we're not for some reason. Why is that?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i think when it comes to ideas like finding new things, where is it better to invest spending your time in?

the answer is simply, whatever the character shines most at-- its not very often that something comes along that isnt already part big part of the characters metagame that is quite useful

ex; im trying to find new ways to combo out of DDDs grab. Are they guaranteed like dthrow>ftilt? nope, but the things i've already find are great for cross ups/mix ups/mind games

i believe for lucy, mind u i said this in 08/09 and ill say it again, his meta game is his aura effect. What can lucy do at or below 25% that chains well? what can he not do at or below 25%? etc.

Once lucys start thinking about lucario in terms of what they can do on a diff % scale, you'll see their play style possibly change as their % gets higher. Thats always how i approached playing lucario.

Also i do believe aura effect is a gimmick, however when i talk about a gimmick this notion also applies to how IC desynch to chain grab, and how Pit users use wings of icarus to push back an opponent.

so that we're on da same page, dictionary ref

gimmick
- 3 dictionary results
gim·mick
   /ˈgɪmɪk/ Show Spelled[gim-ik] Show IPA
–noun
an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.
a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.
a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance.
Electronics Informal . a capacitor formed by intertwining two insulated wires.
–verb (used with object)
to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, esp. in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc. (often fol. by up ): to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes.
–verb (used without object)
to resort to gimmickry, esp. habitually.
I believe ppl itt are not using the term gimmick correctly. As where i come from, in the art world, a gimmick is often some kind of quirk of a character in a story. For example; in Metriod Prime 2: Echos. The primary gimmick for the game was light ammo and dark ammo. Traditionally, metriod prime did not have an 'ammunition' system, however if you were to play Metroid prime 2 without some type of nerf to the light beam/dark beam effects you got for the arm canon you'd be insanely over powered. As alot of creatures were very weak to either the light beam/dark beam. Plus there were doors/effects that also would be heavily effected by not having an ammunition system.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
pierce ive beaten judge before at pound 4 who was considered god tier mk at the time

with lucario

also ur gay and a salty guy

and brood sandbagged the hell out of you

k im done.

-Ran

Smash Master
rj, i used lucario against rain too. I didn't use mk 80% of the time get that out of here.

actually my mk got 2 stocked by his mk and i won the next two with lucario. I used Lucario every match in teams. Rain,Lain, M2k I went lucario. Will, Junebug, Razer I went mk. (It would be dumb to go Lucario in those mu's). Mk and Lucario when I got 2-0ed by brood. So yeah that is actully 50/50 BOTH characters if I'm not forgetting anybody. I really hate when people say **** like that.

For the record I used a lot of Mk in pools so I could just get in done fast as possible. Using Lucario in pools and trying to 3 stock people while your getting weaker and dragging matches out is annoying.

-lee martin

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
You guys aren't looking at any of Lucario's main factor's in the match, such as his playstyles from low/mid/high aura, combos and strategies during each stage. The fact that Lucario's attack has more power means more things become safer on shield, thus becoming a much safer character. His hitboxes are also stange and slightly disjointed however his mad matchups have even MORE disjoints on the attacks(such as Marth or Snake). His Upair becomes really safe due to his hurtbox BECOMING a hitbox.

All I've seen in this thread was how Lucario is a trash character and how people are being Bias.

Ya'll people need to stay on track with this thread.

-realized that the quote does nothing but add drama-

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
rj, i used lucario against rain too. I didn't use mk 80% of the time get that out of here.

actually my mk got 2 stocked by his mk and i won the next two with lucario. I used Lucario every match in teams. Rain,Lain, M2k I went lucario. Will, Junebug, Razer I went mk. (It would be dumb to go Lucario in those mu's). Mk and Lucario when I got 2-0ed by brood. So yeah that is actully 50/50 BOTH characters if I'm not forgetting anybody. I really hate when people say **** like that.

For the record I used a lot of Mk in pools so I could just get in done fast as possible. Using Lucario in pools and trying to 3 stock people while your getting weaker and dragging matches out is annoying.

-lee martin
Yeah I was actually surprised, Lee used Lucario far more than he usually does at this tournament, and although I feel he had some minor weaknesses in his against MK, he was playing one of the best MK players around, and obv. stating what happened is mere speculation

I agree that on paper lucario is meh, and that against someone that knows Lucario's nuances from plenty of practice can pose a problem, but lucario's abilities play very well on reads/player habits, something even top level players can't completely hide, that's where lucario's playstyle comes strong into play.

As for Lucario's linear playstyle I feel aprt of it is due to player inexperience. These top players that do take bigger names, Lee Martin and ksizzle in particular, also have experimented with different characters, better tools, and have generally developed stronger playstyles. Not any disrespect to the other lucarios, but there's probably a gap between great and amazing lucario players at this point. When I look at the videos, the evidence is there. Great lucarios have a tendency to let their playstyle define their actions to the point of slight redundancy, and often times fall to more inexperienced mistakes (I see a lot of Lucarios play "high risk, high reward", which is often a big no-no for MK, whereas top lucarios have a tendency to play "chip away", only letting explosive force (like letting slightly more intricate strings follow) when they feel confident they can exert it. for example, ksizzle v. M2K, ksizzle will make really conservative attacks/punishments knowing he'll get rewarded at high %'s later for playing safely the same way.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
thats kinda why ive always believe in the notion of playing every character in the game, then applying some similar logic into the character your already maining is a very good way to expand your playstyle.

maybe if lucarios started playing more momentum based characters in brawl they'll be able to think outside the box. And when you start thinking outside the box[which means not auto piloting], you get more creative, the more creative you are, the better prepared you are for facing very good opponents and handling complex problems/situations you come across.

Theres what 39 characters in brawl? theres plenty of variety to go around

LucarioKirbyFTW

Smash Rookie
Lucario is a great character, with awesome moves, recovery, and attacks that get stronger as the battle progresses! Not to mention, he's totally badass! All you Lucario haters out there don't know what you're sayin'!

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Nobody closed this troll thread?

Son of a *****.

I feel offended!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom