• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #15: Captain Olimar

Dnyce

Smash Master
Who let's these people post here... like seriously?

Let's make claims about Olimar w/o playing him and pretend they're facts. That helps discussion right? Maybe is both character boards agree on a subject we should take their credit for it... instead some random falco from spain decides he can make the facts here, lol. Okay.

About Falco's jab, rich figured it out and brood perfected it before apex. SDI up and fair out of the jab (if rich hasn't posted it here already).

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Rich posted that in the social a while ago. However, if Apex is any indication, it doesn't work if Falco alternates Jab 1 and Jab 2

And the sad thing isn't that one misinformed Falco posted; it's that none of the other 95 BR members had anything to say ;-;

Dnyce

Smash Master
Rich posted that in the social a while ago. However, if Apex is any indication, it doesn't work if Falco alternates Jab 1 and Jab 2

And the sad thing isn't that one misinformed Falco posted; it's that none of the other 95 BR members had anything to say ;-;
There's only 95? I thought they let 2/3 of the community in by now.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I thought there were roughly 100 members so I subtracted the five that posted from that.

Suffice it to say: BR, where [were] you at?

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
About Falco's jab, rich figured it out and brood perfected it before apex. SDI up and fair out of the jab (if rich hasn't posted it here already).[/COLOR]
Grew has been doing that for ages, everyone would see if they looked at his vids lol. What I do is wait for him to SDI, then stop jabbing, shield the fair and punish him with a buffered dash attack or even upsmash if I powershield the fair. If I constantly jab cancel my jabs it's harder for him to SDI and I can also jab cancel to an up angled ftilt to hit him before he fairs. It's still one of Olimar's best options if he gets caught by jab (something that will happen often)

Those who think I'm misinformed about Olimar may be the misinformed ones about his own main, I'll gladly accept any MM with the characters I've talked about ( Snake, Diddy, etc) at Apex 2011 or some tourney like that,

Instead of saying I don't know anything about Olimar try arguing how my points are wrong like how Hilt did, and we could come to an agreement, maybe we could get some nice discussion that way, or are you expecting that everyone thinks the same way? We have different metagames so expect our opinions to be different.

Other than that, if no more people posted I guess it's because they didn't have anything to say, but yes a bit more of activity in the backroom would be nice.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Olimars bad matchups are over exaggerated and easily beatable if the Olimar camps correctly or fishes for a certain Pikmin to fight the situation.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Olimars bad matchups are over exaggerated and easily beatable if the Olimar camps correctly or fishes for a certain Pikmin to fight the situation.
Luigi.

There: one bad matchup that isn't solved by either of those; while yellows can help, I don't see them winning that MU alone. (Though Logic knows how to beat them, he won't tell anyone [or at least he hasn't told me :(])

My point really is just that it isn't always that simple.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I think i'm one of the few people that actually secondaries Olimar. Luigi isn't as nearly as bad as some of you think, but it's not in Olimar's favor. I'll save my viewpoint for the matchup thread though.

Imo, I believe that Olimar has the potential to be one of the best characters in the game. I don't particularly find any match ups that hard with Olimar. In a sense, he's like Snake by that fact that he may only have one true counter in the game.

His one weakness imo other than his sup par recovery is his susceptibility to jabs. Anyone with good jab follow ups *cough*Luigi*cough* can actually do well against Olimar.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I think i'm one of the few people that actually secondaries Olimar. Luigi isn't as nearly as bad as some of you think, but it's not in Olimar's favor. I'll save my viewpoint for the matchup thread though.

Imo, I believe that Olimar has the potential to be one of the best characters in the game. I don't particularly find any match ups that hard with Olimar. In a sense, he's like Snake by that fact that he may only have one true counter in the game.

His one weakness imo other than his sup par recovery is his susceptibility to jabs. Anyone with good jab follow ups *cough*Luigi*cough* can actually do well against Olimar.
Quoted for truth. I agree completely.

Dnyce

Smash Master
(Though Logic knows how to beat them, he won't tell anyone [or at least he hasn't told me :(])
JC Usmash OoS beats Nair and down B. The Nair will pikmin rocket if done correctly, and the down B will auto de-sync - that's how he does it.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

JC Usmash OoS beats Nair and down B. The Nair will pikmin rocket if done correctly, and the down B will auto de-sync - that's how he does it.
Someone hand me a napkin :eek:

I said 91 but it's actualy 90. A few member were recently removed.
And only five of them (two Olimar mains) could contribute? Mike, I've seen your posts from time to time and you know what you're talking about. I definitely respect you as a BR member. But can you really stand by and tell me that the BR did not totally drop the ball on this discussion? When the last one was in 2008? Come on man, you have to know that something's wrong with this picture.

TheMike

Smash Lord
only five of them (two Olimar mains) could contribute?
Yeah, that's a pretty low number, I agree with you.

But can you really stand by and tell me that the BR did not totally drop the ball on this discussion? When the last one was in 2008? Come on man, you have to know that something's wrong with this picture.
I can only respond for myself, since I haven't contributed to the discussion. School has started in Brazil and I didn't have enough time to dedicate to the BBR and to SWF as a whole on this last weeks. I guess that's not the case for most BBR members, maybe they were just very busy with APEX or Olimar isn't a very popular character(which I think may change after Brood's placement).

Mike, I've seen your posts from time to time and you know what you're talking about. I definitely respect you as a BR member.
I appreciate of this, but don't want to start a "BBR isn't active" discussion, because stuff like this can happen, and the BBR isn't perfect, as many people can think like this. Let's keep the topic on Olimar. After all, there's a reason for why it's released to the public.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's a pretty low number, I agree with you.

I can only respond for myself, since I haven't contributed to the discussion. School has started in Brazil and I didn't have enough time to dedicate to the BBR and to SWF as a whole on this last weeks. I guess that's not the case for most BBR members, maybe they were just very busy with APEX or Olimar isn't a very popular character(which I think may change after Brood's placement).

I appreciate of this, but don't want to start a "BBR isn't active" discussion, because stuff like this can happen, and the BBR isn't perfect, as many people can think like this. Let's keep the topic on Olimar. After all, there's a reason for why it's released to the public.
But I already agree with what Hilt and Rich said, aside from the few comments I made when it was released, and anything else we've probably talked about in our social thread or tactical thread.

I'm not calling the BR inactive, by any stretch - they've proven that they get things done, and that's not the problem here. The problem is that even with as active as they are, they had nothing to say about a character even after two years had passed since the last discussion. Maybe it was Apex, but I'm still quite sour.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
But the reason I don't have anything to say is because I speak to these guys all the time. I know Olimar inside and out - the same cannot be said for most of the BR.

In the other discussion, there was much talk of whether the character deserved to move up or down as well as which characters should be above and below him/her. There was very little of that here.

The majority of the backroom doesn't main Olimar, but I'm sure that a significant amount of them have to play against him. As such, I'd expect there to at least be more conversation, inquiry, and debate about the merits/disadvantages of the character and where he belongs on the tier list.

edit: And like I said, the major reason I didn't have much to say here is because I had already spoken about it with Hilt mostly. I have my opinions about where he should move, but really only came to settle on them after discussion on the topic. There wasn't much of that here.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I see you, but Hilt's and Rich's posts can be agreed even if the person hasn't talked to them yet. :p

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I see you, but Hilt's and Rich's posts can be agreed even if the person hasn't talked to them yet. :p
Then people could have said that, and while they did in other threads they didn't here. I'm just noting the discrepancy in participation between this discussion and others, and it seems to me that people just didn't bother discussing, or even agreeing.

TheMike

Smash Lord
If people disagreed, they would have posted. As people didn't post, they must have agreed.

Edit: I understood what you said , and agree that this discussion lacked of posts. I would like you understand my view, and then we let the Olimar discussion go. :]

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
If people disagreed, they would have posted. As people didn't post, they must have agreed.
That logic seems shaky to me, especially considering how previous discussion went...but nothing can be gained from pushing it further.

And Hilt/Rich making large posts doesn't mean anything; there were several other discussions where people wrote large essays on the character yet there was still much to be said after they finished.

I guess the Backroom just doesn't have anything to say about him :(

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
No, Apex is no excuse. Nobody knows anything about Olimar outside of Olimar mains, and those that have close relations to Olimar mains. I've had four people so far that have said that they thought Olimar gets a larger jump from his UpB with the less Pikmin he has, instead of knowing that the sweet spot just gets bigger. Four people. Seriously. I could go on and on about how little people know about Olimar, or the false information that they believe to be true, but I've been preaching it for so long that I think people get the point, haha. It's just the fact that there is so much to know, that I guess expecting people outside of Olimar mains to know a good portion of it is out of the question. But sometimes it's just a bit embarrassing XD

Edit: No, you can't say "people didn't post so they probably disagreed". I could have told people that Olimar's antenna's color changes his pluck percentages and people wouldn't have known any better and it would have been passed off as fact.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
No, Apex is no excuse. Nobody knows anything about Olimar outside of Olimar mains, and those that have close relations to Olimar mains. I've had four people so far that have said that they thought Olimar gets a larger jump from his UpB with the less Pikmin he has, instead of knowing that the sweet spot just gets bigger. Four people. Seriously. I could go on and on about how little people know about Olimar, or the false information that they believe to be true, but I've been preaching it for so long that I think people get the point, haha. It's just the fact that there is so much to know, that I guess expecting people outside of Olimar mains to know a good portion of it is out of the question. But sometimes it's just a bit embarrassing XD

Edit: No, you can't say "people didn't post so they probably disagreed". I could have told people that Olimar's antenna's color changes his pluck percentages and people wouldn't have known any better and it would have been passed off as fact.
^What that guy said :)

TheMike

Smash Lord
I guess the Backroom just doesn't have anything to say about him :(
Yeah, I can agree with this. As I said, Olimar probably isn't very popular in the BBR.

Edit: No, you can't say "people didn't post so they probably disagreed".
"People didn't post so they probably agreed". Just fixing my idea, which may be a bad logic, but at least I would have posted if disgareed.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
u can tell that no one but us knows anything about olimar just watching the apex live stream >.> they acctuly thought that each hit of olis upair refreshed his moves >.> just saying <3

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
They also thought that the shallow water on Delfino makes Pikmin Drown.
I was like >.> when I heard that

>.>

Like, those were ignorant commentators either. They could tell you basically anything about any of the other characters...but when it came to Olimar they were largely clueless.

It's no wonder he hasn't moved in the last couple tier lists. No one knows enough about him or cares enough to learn or bother learning in order to judge where he should be better placed. Sad, but it appears to be true...

Who cares about tier placement anyways?

I'd be lying through my teeth if I said that

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
I was like >.> when I heard that

>.>

Like, those were ignorant commentators either. They could tell you basically anything about any of the other characters...but when it came to Olimar they were largely clueless.

It's no wonder he hasn't moved in the last couple tier lists. No one knows enough about him or cares enough to learn or bother learning in order to judge where he should be better placed. Sad, but it appears to be true...

Who cares about tier placement anyways?

I'd be lying through my teeth if I said that
no ur right, who cares where we're placed? We still play the best dang charcter in this game and we the only ones who know it :p

TheMike

Smash Lord
Then, we should work in a way to make people more knowledgeable about Olimar so that his discussions improve. You may not care about tier list placement, but from what I've seen, you care about your character's discussions.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Then, we should work in a way to make people more knowledgeable about Olimar so that his discussions improve. You may not care about tier list placement, but from what I've seen, you care about your character's discussions.
Isn't that what these BBR discussions are for? So that people can come together to discuss, dispute, and learn about a character's advantages and disadvantages?

TheMike

Smash Lord
Yep. But if "no one but you" know Olimar stuff, I guess you all should work to improve your character because it's more likely to succeed in my opinion.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Yep. But if "no one but you" know Olimar stuff, I guess you all should work to improve your character because it's more likely to succed in my opinion.
But...I'm not a Backroom member...I can't get Backroom members to care or to try to learn...

TheMike

Smash Lord
You can get approval of some of them, myself included. I would certainly spread the word if stuff like this is done.

Dnyce

Smash Master

//thread

There's really too much BS and shenanigans about Olimars design, so saying "oh, just tell us what we should know and it will help discussion" is frustrating. It would be the equivalent of walking up to your organic chemistry professor the week before finals and saying "just tell me what I should know so I can ace the final"

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

//thread

There's really too much BS and shenanigans about Olimars design, so saying "oh, just tell us what we should know and it will help discussion" is frustrating. It would be the equivalent of walking up to your organic chemistry professor the week before finals and saying "just tell me what I should know so I can ace the final"
I'm almost certain that no one in the Backroom knows what a pikmin rocket is.

They will soon enough though. They will soon enough >=D

*insert evil cackle here*

Dnyce

Smash Master
I don't even want to have to get into things like Ghost Pikmin or Shy Guy Canceling. This discussion would last over a year if you really wanted to know EVERYTHING <.<

Top Bottom