• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #15: Captain Olimar

Tin Man

Smash Hero
u can tell that no one but us knows anything about olimar just watching the apex live stream >.> they acctuly thought that each hit of olis upair refreshed his moves >.> just saying <3
It annoyed me when everyone watching brood vs M2K were having orgasms over basic comboes rather than being impressed by his buffering capability, play style, etc (They were also impressed by that stuff, but the basics, cmon...

You can get approval of some of them, myself included. I would certainly spread the word if stuff like this is done.
Since I have a way of speaking to you directly, I can relay information to you for sure.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
It annoyed me when everyone watching brood vs M2K were having orgasms over basic comboes rather than being impressed by his buffering capability, play style, etc (They were also impressed by that stuff, but the basics, cmon...

Since I have a way of speaking to you directly, I can relay information to you for sure.
Yea, that did get annoying. I also got a little ticked off when everyone gasped at him grabbing M2K (I think) through the ledge >.> People know nothing of what we can do. Which is good, in a way, but kinda makes you feel like people are ignoring the awesomesauce that is Olimar.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Yea, that did get annoying. I also got a little ticked off when everyone gasped at him grabbing M2K (I think) through the ledge >.> People know nothing of what we can do. Which is good, in a way, but kinda makes you feel like people are ignoring the awesomesauce that is Olimar.
everything about that match vs. m2k is dumb, because m2k only knows one thing about the oli MU or character in general, and that is gimping technique

"he just shielded that up-b through the stage and upsmashed, OMG NEVER KNEW THAT BEFORE" *brood proceeds to repeatedly do that* "OMG I'VE NEVER SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFORE, THIS GUY'S OLI IS THE BEST" >_> me: "WTF, thats such a basic olimar trick, how the **** does m2k keeping falling for that, idiot doesn't know the MU at all"

there was so much stuff like that in the matches not just against m2k, but against everyone other than DEHF that is was hilarious and extremely saddening

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
just know that everyone will be afraid of oilmar very soon ;)
oh wait.. u main ROB!!! O_o we're ****ed!! LMAO :p

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, you have control full over which color you use. Some colors override others though, like Moderator takes Yellow's place.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I don't know why none of the BBR members that already posted here after this released said this, but I'll say it now.

There are multiple reasons why this discussion was so short.

A) Since the tier list is due soon, and we have a lot of work to do, this means that we're speeding up the discussions. We have 4+ discussions about different characters in the BBR at all times these days, and we're not spending enough time on them. This is my personal opinion, but I greatly dislike the rate at which we're blasting through the discussions to meet a deadline.

On one hand, we're under a lot of fire right now (look how quick you are to bad mouth the BBR over releasing this thread, which is an argument against releasing threads in the first place). This means that we absolutely don't want to be late releasing the tier list, giving everyone something more to complain about.

On the other hand, I feel like we aren't being properly educated about the different characters, and considering how many new people are in the BBR since we last discussed characters, I feel like educating our members is of the utmost importance.

B) There was a thread after Apex discussing Brood, and a lot of Olimar discusssion went on in there. It was more of a social thing, and those knowledgeable/semi-knowledgeable about Olimar like myself, posted a good deal in there, but that's not getting released.

I was away from home for a few days, and I was saddened to see Olimar was done in my absense, because I actually play Olimar, and have won a couple of tourney matches with him, though my usage of him in tournament is very rare.

Noa.

Smash Master
I understand.

You said you posted in the other thread about Olimar. I know the thread isn't going to be released, but I'm wondering if you could maybe show us one or two of your posts in that thread? If that's too much I understand, just wondering.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I guess in the end it can't be helped. I really wish you guys had time to dedicate to each character so everyone could be informed, but people got lives and it sounds like you're all working on a bunch of stuff. I guess I'll settle for Brood sparking at least a little more discussion :)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I can certainly show you my own posts. Give me a few minutes and I will edit them into this post as quotes.

Obviously, my post(s) were quoting other posts, but I cannot actually tell you what those posts said. I'll try to clean it up a little to make a more manageable read. Also, please keep in mind that the manner in which I speak to my comrades in private is not the same I would normally speak out here all the time.

But . . . but . . . I'm in NJ :(

I actually agree with this to a decree. We can learn to compromise with the community as long as we don't sacrifice competitiveness. 8 minutes to 10 minutes doesn't do that. Also, our competition typically relies on eliminating the opponent as a primary win condition. The time-out win condition is only a result of having an out of game need to eventually end the match, or I'm confident we would use no timer.

Please learn your **** MUs. I keep telling you, just attack Olimar, he's super over-rated in shield. Lemme hit you with some Frame data.

MK dtilt on Block = -11
Oli grab = Frame 11

Guess what, your dtilt is safe as Peach with the Lazy Shell and the Safety Ring. In fact, since Olimar has no grab armor, it's heavily likely you will win a trade of spamming a spaced Dtilt on his shield. Considering the MIX-UP options you have from there, it's ******** how much offensive pressure you can put on this character. If you space, he cannot do anything else out of shield, because Dtilt is gay as hell, and only gives you FOUR frames to act after dropping your shield.

Usmash is good, but if you're spacing, you won't get hit. The problem with you Jason, is that when you don't know a MU, you try and over rely on Dair instead of experimenting with different things, which is why you used to get messed up by Lucario, and now some Olimar wrecked you. Stop relying on brute force, and then camping if that doesn't work and just learn your **** MUs! Look at you vs. Ally now that you KNOW the Snake MU. Jeez!

Also, STAY ON HIS **** SHIELD WITH NADO!!!!!! OLIMAR'S SHIELD AND ROLLS SUCK! ANY PREVIOUS PRESSURE AT ALL, AND NADO WILL STAB.

Partially true, partially false. Olimar's UpB is transcendent, so it cuts right through Tornado. I play Olimar myself, and have conditioned myself to just hit approaching Nados. Also, you can typically Dash Grab an MK who's Nadoing away from you, it has considerable lag.

I am fairly positive that having ZERO Pikman gives a better boost, but to my knowledge 1 pikman = 6 Pikman in terms of an extra height boost.

Also, I told everyone to stop taking Olimar to Delfino, and what to do about Purples. No one listened.

This is one of the rarest senerios ever, and if Lee would have played the MU right, this would've been a non-issue.

Also, protip, go for LOW port vs. Olimar. Simultaneous grabs are decided by port with closest to one emerging as the victor. Since all us F6 grabbers have a 5 frame advantage on Olimar, sometimes using an aerial into a grab will straight up win, and if we have port, we beat the tie.

(This part is regarding punishing MK's Dair on block)
It's possible. He has a 1 frame window to hit you off a shield drop before your frame 3 airdodge comes out. However, taking into consideration he has to Dash, I'm pretty sure this is safe. However, you're not always going to Dair to Airdodge, so this is a reasonable response.

Also, I don't know how many of you saw, but I two-stocked Brood in the one friendly I played him with Marth (and uh, I SDed). Not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but since you asked who beats Olimar, I'm going to just go ahead and throw out Marth. Also, if you just learn the **** MUs, then we won't get ***** by Olimar. Who did Brood fight in bracket that had Olimar experience? Larry had that Rich Brown training I'm sure. And sadly, since smash players are too lazy to do any research on their own (and typically suck at this game) then things like this happen.
Worst of all, sadly, since a lot of our top players just outskill opponents, people don't know MUs even at high levels.

I have a lot of respect for Brood, but I'm applauded that people let an Olimar place second at an international tournament. I do think Olimar is a decent, possibly viable character, but people just were free for him, it was stupid. Everyone played scared as hell. M2k was scared, Ally was scared, even Lee was scared. Thank you Larry, for not being scared, sheesh. It's just frikken Olimar.

/salty

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Pierce, you're one of my favorite BR members - you rock. And I also see you finally updated your "Brawl Metagame" thread, I gots some readin to do tonight

This still stand even if I disagree with some of your post :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, Pierce knows more about Olimar than most of the people I've seen outside of Olimar mains. I didn't know you played around with him though, Pierce, but that makes more sense then, haha.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just btw...

"I am fairly positive that having ZERO Pikman gives a better boost, but to my knowledge 1 pikman = 6 Pikman in terms of an extra height boost."

They're called pikmin. ;3

And in case this wasn't answered in the BBR, the boost you get from his upb doesn't differ with how many pikmin you have. What does change, however, is the ledgegrab sweetspot distance. You'll "auto-grab" the ledge from farther away with no pikmin than if you had 1, definitely- maybe even 2.

edit: I haven't read through the whole thread yet. I just got to the part where Hilt explained the ledgegrab stuff. <.<

edit2:

There's really too much BS and shenanigans about Olimars design, so saying "oh, just tell us what we should know and it will help discussion" is frustrating. It would be the equivalent of walking up to your organic chemistry professor the week before finals and saying "just tell me what I should know so I can ace the final"
^This x1,000.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Just btw...

"I am fairly positive that having ZERO Pikman gives a better boost, but to my knowledge 1 pikman = 6 Pikman in terms of an extra height boost."

They're called pikmin. ;3

And in case this wasn't answered in the BBR, the boost you get from his upb doesn't differ with how many pikmin you have. What does change, however, is the ledgegrab sweetspot distance. You'll "auto-grab" the ledge from farther away with no pikmin than if you had 1, definitely- maybe even 2.
Lol pikman ^_^

And 0 is still definitely better than 2; I think 3 just about breaks even, though three is obviously better since it grabs immediately as opposed to having to wait for the little hop to finish.

Noa.

Smash Master
Interesting post Pierce. You do definetly know your stuff.

But I'm surprised you said that Oli's shield was bad. Yes his OoS options are limited, but the shield itself will almost never get shieldpoked. It's actually very surprising when Oli does get shield poked. Also don't most characters get shieldpoked by mk if he tornados them without a full shield?

I appreciate your opinion.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
pierce, you make it sound like olimar is a trash character that has no options OOS and is easy to beat if you know him, thats ****ing offensive as ****

your going to have trouble as mk just getting into dtilt range if the olimar is smart

he has more than just upsmash OOS to punish dair, we have uptilt, upair, nair, and guess what, you just outspaced our upsmash? good stuff, that means you didn't get an opportunity to punish our character and a smart olimar could just fair, DACUS, JC upsmash, running grab, boost pivot grab, up-b all out of shield if we can't get our uspmash

even if you get olimar with nado, we can whistle through the nado, which leads to us punishing you

stop saying olimar is over-rated, only brood is overrated because yes, he did get a bracket with people who don't know the MU until larry, but this character has so much range, damage racking, and kill power, along with no impossible MUs and marth being his only bad MU that is top/high tier, he is more than viable and is actually underrated due to his lack of good representation

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
pierce, you make it sound like olimar is a trash character that has no options OOS and is easy to beat if you know him, thats ****ing offensive as ****

your going to have trouble as mk just getting into dtilt range if the olimar is smart

he has more than just upsmash OOS to punish dair, we have uptilt, upair, nair, and guess what, you just outspaced our upsmash? good stuff, that means you didn't get an opportunity to punish our character and a smart olimar could just fair, DACUS, JC upsmash, running grab, boost pivot grab, up-b all out of shield if we can't get our uspmash

even if you get olimar with nado, we can whistle through the nado, which leads to us punishing you

stop saying olimar is over-rated, only brood is overrated because yes, he did get a bracket with people who don't know the MU until larry, but this character has so much range, damage racking, and kill power, along with no impossible MUs and marth being his only bad MU that is top/high tier, he is more than viable and is actually underrated due to his lack of good representation
You basically just said everything I was gonna get around to saying eventually :chuckle: And @Pierce, I think you also overrate how easy it is to avoid even just the Usmash OOS - you play a character who has a huge sword to attack with (primarily, since I know you play many), so for many people you don't have to enter oos danger zones. However, if we're going up against a Diddy, Wario, Pikachu, G&W, or any number of other characters, if they hit our shield they aren't so fortunate to avoid it. Some people can outspace it, but I'd say that's a minority of the cast

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
No, dash, hit down on the c-stick, and then hit up on the control stick and grab.

Also practice it with snake first and then try characters like falco and wario. Olimar's dacus is hard to notice and the frame window is tight.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
About as far as his normal hyphen smash. But he covers the distance faster.
actually, its farther than that by at least 50%, and yes, it does cover the ground significantly faster, TBH its very underrated, i started doing it the my most recent irl tourney, and i got a few hits a hyphen smash wouldn't of got

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I know it's underrated, and I've been working with it lately. I do think 50% is a bit of an exaggeration though, lol.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
@Dabuz, I'm not going to spend a bunch of time responding to the rest of your post, because for some reason, instead of discussing a character in the game, you're taking offense. I will justify this stance though.

Considering that I'm discussing a character, how am I being offensive. If you said Marth is bad, you didn't say Marth players are bad, and hence I would have no need to take offense (and a lot of people say Marth is bad btw). I have no desire to entertain a conversation in which the opponent takes a literal defensive stance, instead of just pointing out and debating the qualities of the character. If, in my personal (and educated) opinion, I feel Olimar is overrated, orders from you will most certainly not stop me from saying so.

@Everyone, I don't think Olimar is overrated, and I have advocated his rise to his current tier position and think he should be above DDD. Also, I'm aware Olimar has other options, but as most of you realized, you cannot see the posts I'm responding to.

@Hilt, I started playing Olimar semi-recently (6 months perhaps?) But I've known how Olimar works for a long time because I used to train frequently with BlackWaltz when he lived 15 minutes from me. I've also played most well known Olimars. Ironically not Dabuz, who lives in my region.

Greward

Smash Lord
olimar is overrated with all the brood stuff. he's good and semi viable, but not as good as the other top tiers. at least not with today's metagame, maybe in some time we'll see him doing better, i think hes a character that will be one of the best in some years, because he has a lot of things that we havent added to our metagame correctly. what happened with brood is that he was an amazing player and nobody did care about olimar before, thats one of the most important reason everyone is shocked. even today there's a lot of people asking me what's the effect of every pikmin color, and thats the first thing someone should know about olimar. olimar is a character not easy to play against, most characters have to play differently than with most matchups. i would put him as the best of the high tier or the second best (pikachu being the best one from high tier then).

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
pierce...so? you pointed out bad situations for us but i was annoyed solely because you didn't mention olimar's options, if you wanna discuss the character, then lets go, i promise not to take a literal defensive stance >_>

Top Bottom