• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #19: Fox

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Gheb argues whatever he feels that month. This is the guy who, for a long time, had Snake at the best character in the game (WITHOUT a LGL, aka MK reign free STOP HAMMAH TIME) and Fox/Wolf Super high.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I posted this in the tierlist thread, thought you guys might enjoy it.
Can you explain some of these terms to me?

"Acceleration Due to Gravity
1st
Normal Fall Terminal Velocity
3rd
Fast Falling Terminal Velocity
3rd
Base Aerial Mobility
10th
Maximum Air Speed
29th"

Acceleration due to gravity, obviously that's falling speed, and everybody knows Fox is the fastest, but what's the difference between that and "normal fall terminal velocity" and "Fast falling terminal velocity?"

Base Aerial Mobility? Huh?

Maximum Air Speed... since it's 29th, and Fox's horizonal speed in the air is awful, I'm guessing that's what it is.

But yeah, combine his speed with the spammiest projectile in the game and a good reflector and you have a character that can outcamp just about any matchup he finds difficult. imo.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I didnt really read this thread but thought I should point out that fox doesnt really suffer from lack of kill options at all, in fact its quite the opposite.

his usmash is one of the best killing moves in the game, its fast and super powerful.
most people think its bad because everybody is expecting it and waiting for it, but that just means people are using it wrong, not that its bad.

you can do crazy fast running upsmash (great for punishing), usmash OoS, combo into usmash from like 4 different attacks in all sorts of different situations, and its just generally good.

he also has fsmash and dsmash, whilst, while they arnt spectacular, are still usable (dsmash can frame trap from an ac bair apparently, which is a very very good kill setup)

his bair is also powerful and good for getting kills, because of his fast air speed and mobility, but his other best kill option alongside his usmash, imo, is his uair, which is how I get most of my kills, so much **** chains into uair, and you can pressure them so hard with it and pull it off alot.

fox da bess.

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
Fox really gets ***** by his fall speed and weight. Since alot of characters like Kirby easily CG him, imo other then that hes a really good character if used at his full potential.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Fox doesn't really camp most characters, he just makes them approach. Fox is great at tacking on damage periodically through his lasers and can get a few percent by a few SHTLs. However, if the opponent decides to approach there's nothing stopping him, and it gets unsafe for Fox if they approach mid-range as some characters can really exploit and punish Fox for jumping to do lasers. Take this vs. Falco, who while his single lasers are a bit more avoidable, trying to approach him is very difficult and a good position for Falco, and he can tack on more damage from the advantageous zoning.

I think Fox can run well and do good amounts of percent through his lasers, but he can't actually camp. At least, he doesn't have a very important camping strength of being able to stuff and punish approaches.

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
Fox doesn't really camp most characters, he just makes them approach. Fox is great at tacking on damage periodically through his lasers and can get a few percent by a few SHTLs. However, if the opponent decides to approach there's nothing stopping him, and it gets unsafe for Fox if they approach mid-range as some characters can really exploit and punish Fox for jumping to do lasers. Take this vs. Falco, who while his single lasers are a bit more avoidable, trying to approach him is very difficult and a good position for Falco, and he can tack on more damage from the advantageous zoning.

I think Fox can run well and do good amounts of percent through his lasers, but he can't actually camp. At least, he doesn't have a very important camping strength of being able to stuff and punish approaches.
Post of the day, I agree with you 100% very good points and examples.

meepxzero

Smash Master
fox is a low tier character except he has rediculous mobility and damage output.

To be short in the hands of a really smart SMART player hes more dangerous than any character in the game except against his usual counters (pikachu/sheik).

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I thought the f-throw "CG" was this f-throw/f-air/d-throw/u-tilt string Kirby had on most characters, and like all characters can SDI the F-air and avoid the regrab.

I don't see why Fox being able to escape Kirby's CG is really relevant to the discussion though.

TKD

Smash Lord
too bad no one minus tkd is playing him at that potential.
I have a lot of improvement to go. Do you think I'm at the pinnacle of Fox game play? I get better every time I play...and I know I make many, many mistakes. My inner game is also very weak; I easily feel frustrated and my game drops. Talking about me as if my game play is the goal...is pitiful. It would be very fun to be one of those guys that constantly goes to tournaments and become as good as players like Ally...but it's fun simply being talked about so often.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're still the best fox by far though, so most people are obviously going to strive to get where you are.

M@v

Subarashii!
Never said people cant get to that level. I never said you were perfect either tkd. Its just that you are by far the best fox player right now, and people look up to that. Only one who was kinda close was rookie, but he doesnt main fox anymore.

meepxzero

Smash Master
i really think fox has the potential to be the best run away character in the game (even better than sonic). His fast walk speed, fast airspeed, and over b that can be canceled to extend to a full battlefields length is ridiculous. When fox mains start playing more of the lets not get hit game hes gonna definitely go higher on the tier list. Hes such a good character if you have godlike reflexes and predicting skills.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
I started using fox a couple weeks ago. Im going to take him more seriously now. Great character, and as I explained in my previous post very likely the overall most mobile character in the game. Its more than just his top speeds (which are great), but his accelerations are amazing.

I hope everyone steps it up so the potential in his tier placing is realized!

-Mars-

Smash Hero
So Fox is going to be the character that everyone picks up this tier list because he rose a lot? Awesome.

Maybe now people will realize how good he is.

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
So Fox is going to be the character that everyone picks up this tier list because he rose a lot? Awesome.

Maybe now people will realize how good he is.
Gawd I hope this doesn't happen FML.

(They'll drop him in a week when all their u-smashes get blocked)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
and Dairs/Utilts/Fairs Sdi'D

And people decide to rush him down when he tries to camp in the air

And edge guard him correctly

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
i really think fox has the potential to be the best run away character in the game (even better than sonic). His fast walk speed, fast airspeed, and over b that can be canceled to extend to a full battlefields length is ridiculous. When fox mains start playing more of the lets not get hit game hes gonna definitely go higher on the tier list. Hes such a good character if you have godlike reflexes and predicting skills.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top Bottom