• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #29: Yoshi

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
There should be as many chars in the low tier as possible as long as it is still balanced, and I don't see Yoshi dominating in any way.

Poltergust you seem to be blended by the options Yoshi could acutally have but are very difficult to be used properly, maybe even impossible to be used for a human. And as long as we are human playing this game I don't see why Yoshi should become a mid tier, and he just doesn't have something that every other character and which is very important - a (good) shield game. Sure he has some alternative options, but they can't cover the extremly dumb shield drop duration and the inability to jump OoS. He does not even have a fast grab OoS.

I also don't understand why you want Yoshi to become a mid tier. Bottom of mid tier is pretty much the worst position in the tier list you can have. The only real motivation to play Yoshi now is for low tier tournaments, because he's just to bad for singles. And if he looses this one reason to play him I don't see a good future for this dino, exspecially because Yoshi really needs to develop and top of low tier is the best place to accomplish this.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yoshi isn't bad for singles at all. There are some difficult mu's, but none are unwinnable. our worst is probably 35:65 against metaknight and we have the tools to stop him if played correctly. Yoshi is also a strange character to fight as he plays differently than other characters which means they must adjust their playing style every time they fight you. AND every yoshi main plays him differently (to some extent) so just because you have one yoshi main figured out, you may get ***** by another.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I also don't understand why you want Yoshi to become a mid tier. Bottom of mid tier is pretty much the worst position in the tier list you can have. The only real motivation to play Yoshi now is for low tier tournaments, because he's just to bad for singles. And if he looses this one reason to play him I don't see a good future for this dino, exspecially because Yoshi really needs to develop and top of low tier is the best place to accomplish this.
That's a terrible reason for him to stay low-tier. Think about it; you want to have Yoshi stay low-tier for low-tier tournaments. You might as well just main someone higher on the tier list and win actual tournaments.

Look, all that I want is for Yoshi to be where he belongs, which is in mid-tier. Having him in the same group as Mario and Samus does him an injustice.

If he is still able to do low-tier tournaments, great, but it doesn't really matter to me.

:069:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Oh oops. Yoshi boards get sidetracked alot. :V

I also never knew how little faith all of you placed in your own character. >_>
I actually do think yoshi should be mid-tier. Hes like wario with a projectile and less disjointed hitboxes and less vulnerable to grab release shenanigans. I just feel like I can't confirm how good he is though because not many people know how to play against him ya know?

Despite all the tecs we already have theres still more to be found for yoshi. Bigman found a semi-jab lock that can lead into a smash attack. Its like a zero death for yoshi. I pulled it off once, just not sure how. Its like when you do his jab attack while the opponent is at low damage and in the air at the right spot the hitbox hits them towards you. Its really hard to explain but when I did it I was laughing my *** off. =p

Even though we have a ton of tecs not all of em are needed to be a good yoshi player. Polts a good example of this. Our insane air mobilty along with our great aerials, fairly heavy weight, solid ground game, and good projectile already make us an incredibly solid character without the tecs. Theoretically speaking, if we had players that mastered the tecs along with all the basics we'd be seeing better results. As a character hes good, but learning him is hard so we lack alot of good players. Really I think thats the only reason he's not mid tier yet. Until we get more good players I think we should stay low tier until we start seeing better tourney results.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think the best Yoshi main will master all his useful techs. But since my techskill is terrible, and I lack a Wii, all I do is practice basics and try to get reads and stuff. I'm certain that a Yoshi that's mastered the basic, universal parts of the game can do well in a tournament. If that same Yoshi could use all the techs effectively, it'd be even better.

Oh, and Sunny, Big says:

STOP MISSPELLING **** AND THAT'S NOT HOW THE JAB LOCK WORKS"
/RAGE

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
lul wat wrng wit my speling bro/ :3

real talk

Tell bigs im going to get skype so I can discuss the semi-jab lock with him so I won't pollute the other yoshis minds with false information. Soooooorrry. ;~; :and yea I know my grammar and spelling suck. I went through that post like several times to correct grammar and spelling errors, yet a crap load still remain. I am not clever man.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Okay, so I've been lurking and taking a look at what everyone's been saying, and from what I can tell, most of yoshi's success, which is not much, is due to people not knowing the matchup. I can see yoshi potentially being mid tier someday. I do not see that day being today. The only way I can see yoshi being that high is if people start using all the techs he has and then some. Yoshi might be deserving of one or two spots up right now. I mean we are improving. But a whole tier jump yoshi is not deserving of yet.

Depster

Smash Champion
The semi-jab lock only works at high percents, so you were way off lol. I can't ever seem to get it to work for very long, however, so I'm wondering if it's not only after a certain percent on characters, but to a certain percent also. I may be wrong though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I only try for a maximum of 3 jabs as afterwards im scared that it wont connect

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
The semi-jab lock only works at high percents, so you were way off lol. I can't ever seem to get it to work for very long, however, so I'm wondering if it's not only after a certain percent on characters, but to a certain percent also. I may be wrong though.
Oooh. Like...oops. xD
Well thanks for telling me dep. ;3 But I swear it worked on olimar with like 3 jab combos! Maybe it was just horribly bad DI '3'

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I pulled one off against a falco at (i think?) 40ish damage by the edge of BF lately

Top Bottom