• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Guitarists Ever

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
I have reason to believe that Herman Li and SamTotaman from Dragonforce are the best guitarists ever, i mean if you have not seen these videos before you have got to check them out.

Through the Fire and the Flames guitar battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u56eakrtTFQ

Operation Ground and Pound Battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEESPSMxafA

I mean after watching these videos I nearly soiled myself and if you don't think that these are the best then you at least must think that they have some talent. If anyone wants to argue with me on this subject or post some other people that you think are totally amazing then feel free.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jimi Hendrix, IMO. Followed by Eric Clapton.

Being the 'best guitarist EVA!' is not only about being able to do awesome things; it's also about writing good guitar parts. Thus, Clapton and Hendrix are on up there.

And saying one way or another doesn't make something true. Bush said that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and all we found was a stupid T-shirt.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
Jimi Hendrix was the greatest I wont except anyting less

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Clapton is extremely sloppy. There are guitarist who blow him away in composition as well.

cF=)

Smash Lord
I love Joe Satriani.

His composition skills are too good and he also teached to other really talented guitarists (like Steve Vai). So imo, he's one of the best.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
A little more recently, I would say Paul Wagner from Between the Buried and Me. He can go just as fast as Herman Li and stuff, but his tone and songwriting skills blow him out of the water. plus, the technicality required playing almost any of their songs is somethin' else. Check out "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" or the beginning to "Alaska"

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I have reason to believe that Herman Li and SamTotaman from Dragonforce are the best guitarists ever, i mean if you have not seen these videos before you have got to check them out.

Through the Fire and the Flames guitar battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u56eakrtTFQ

Operation Ground and Pound Battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEESPSMxafA

I mean after watching these videos I nearly soiled myself and if you don't think that these are the best then you at least must think that they have some talent. If anyone wants to argue with me on this subject or post some other people that you think are totally amazing then feel free.
I couldn't agree more. My friend introduced their guitar solos to me on one of their songs and they are the best I've ever heard.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure John McLaughlin or Guthrie Govan would play circles around anybody mentioned so far.

Shawn Lane and Allan Holdsworth usually come up a lot in these threads (and with good reason). I'm surprised nobody's mentioned them so far.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Michael Angelo Batio; haven't really heard, and he wont be winning any hair competitions but I also think he should be mentioned. His guitar of choice:

http://www.midwestentertainers.net/assets/images/doubleguitarposter.jpg

Althouh i swear there was a quad guitar knocking around somewhere.

The dragonforce guitarists are talented, sure, but the music they create is tripe, all speed no quality. That's a lie, there is quality, I just find that the music just never seems to come together as a whole.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
Jimi Hendrix, IMO. Followed by Eric Clapton.

Being the 'best guitarist EVA!' is not only about being able to do awesome things; it's also about writing good guitar parts. Thus, Clapton and Hendrix are on up there.

And saying one way or another doesn't make something true. Bush said that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and all we found was a stupid T-shirt.
ummm, you realize that Dragonforce writes their own stuff.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The one problem I have with the new surge of metal becoming mainstream is bands like Dragonforce being touted as the best thing ever. This is like when you go to a guitar board or youtube and every ******* is playing Eugene's Trickbag and Eruption.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
whats wrong with that though, just because i like Dragonforce doesn't mean that i can't not like anything else. It just means that they're the new thing, it doesn't mean that everyone forgot about Clapton and Hendrix, they're amazing guitarists.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Dragonforce just is given so much unnecessary acclaim when they basically play fast. I gave a few of their songs a good listen and there just isn't much substance there. Slow it all down and it's very rudimentary. Take a band like Clutch or even Trivium and you can find some very good composition.

Clapton sucked after Yardbirds and Cream. There, I said it.

The Bum

Smash Cadet
I have seen alot more hate towards Dragonforce than I have seen of people liking them. Yeah it is true that the only reason they get so much attention towards there music is because they can play really fast. Playing fast does take quite some skill. They do have a few slow songs that are good though. Well I guess I just really fast music so thats why I really like them.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Dragonforce is to DaShizWiz as Mozart is to PC Chris

Clapton sucked after Yardbirds and Cream. There, I said it.
My friend and I have always felt that way, but a lot of people we know treat us like heretics after having said that >_>

Brookman

Smash Hero
I related it in terms of smash. Dragonforce is just all technical skill with little composition behind it (like shiz =0), while Mozart was a musical genius, which could really be related to anyone of the pro-type smashers, if you don't see it as a fitting analogy then I apologize.

flaco

The Terminator
Well these ain't for a specific guitarist so I would take a guess and say the band creed well the main artist that plays the guitar.

In a side note whoa when I first came in registered crimson king your post count spiked although post count doesn't matter.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
A. I think I lost respect for you when you said ANYTHING by Creed was good. However, the guitarist (Mark Tremonti) is in a great band called Alter Bridge(all former members of Creed save Myles Kennedy) that is quite talented. Scott Sapp was basically a talent leech it turned out.

B. I have no idea what your second paragraph said. Care to explain? I could only get my name out of it.

flaco

The Terminator
My bad I meant to say that when I registered until the time now your post count spiked although it doesn't matter.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol at Trivium.

Anyways...My pick would probably be Ritchie Blackmore. But for other notable guitarists not mentioned in this topic yet...Steve Wilson, Marty Friedman, David Gilmour, John Frusciante, Jerry Cantrell, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhodes, Tom Morello...

Yeah and Dragonforce is pretty awful in my eyes, everything they do sounds the same. Don't care how fast they can play...

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Dragonforce just is given so much unnecessary acclaim when they basically play fast. I gave a few of their songs a good listen and there just isn't much substance there. Slow it all down and it's very rudimentary. Take a band like Clutch or even Trivium and you can find some very good composition.
Plairnkk said:
alexi laiho is amazing
True words.

Laiho actually said that when he first started learning guitar he tried to play everything as fast as he could, it sounded ****, it wasn't untill he slowed down a bit that the music started to sound good. Speed is best reserved for solos and even they can be better without.

I don't think Mikael Akerfeldt has been mentioned in this thread either yet. Yes Opeth riffs are repeated for a long time but not only are they fantastic, how does he remember all the lyrics and time syncs when playing live?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Alexi is a pretty decent guitarist for his age, in my opinion.

Jeff Beck is phenomenal from the clips I've seen of him, as is Al De Meola. Robert Fripp is probably my favorite guitarist to date (my namesake). He manages to take effects to a new, ambient level and as a technical prowess that he teaches. The Guitar Craft has been around for a while and the song "Level 5" (the highest level in the Craft) is a homage to that.

flaco

The Terminator
Alexi is a pretty decent guitarist for his age, in my opinion.

Jeff Beck is phenomenal from the clips I've seen of him, as is Al De Meola. Robert Fripp is probably my favorite guitarist to date (my namesake). He manages to take effects to a new, ambient level and as a technical prowess that he teaches. The Guitar Craft has been around for a while and the song "Level 5" (the highest level in the Craft) is a homage to that.
Hey crimson King My real name is Alexis Aguilar so he might be family just a wild guess.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Alexi is his first name. You can't be related if you share the same first name and yours is STILL different.

Please, for one day, stop spamming.

Cort

Apple Head
That was almost entertaining, flaco.

Also the analogy with Dragonforce/Shiz and Mozart/PC was really good, couldn't be truer probably.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
i don't see why you don't like Dragonforce so much. I mean sure they can play really fast. But they are really skilled as musicians. The only I would say out of them lacks skill is their singer or their keyboardist. But i mean if you listen to their drummer, I've been playing drums for 5 years now classical music and with a couple of metal bands, i can't even pull out half of the chops that he can do. And as for guitar, im hopeless...btw I like your sig Crimson King

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Buckethead - one of the best when it comes to solos and guitar-only pieces (Jordan, Night of the Slunk)

Tom Morello - a very funky style and many cool effect sounds made with the killswitch and other experimentations he's done with his guitars.

Les Claypool - the craziest guy in music, and certainly one of the best bassists.

Kirk Hammett - he carried Metallica's legacy with his amazing solos, fast or slow.

Top Bottom