• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Guitarists Ever

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
^^^Yes, Yngwie malmsten is extremely incrdedible.
My personal favorite song by him is " rising force". Beautiful.
Touring from sweden with his Straocaster, impressing millions of loyal fans. Easily one of the top 5 musicians.

My personal top 5 Guitarists.
1. Kirk Hammet
2. Yngwie malmsteen
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Alex Lifeson
5. Jimmy Page

Top 5 bassists
1. Geddy Lee
2. Flea
3. Les Claypool
4. Jon Myung
5. John Entwistle

Brookman

Smash Hero
Top 5 bassists
1. Geddy Lee
2. Flea
3. Les Claypool
4. Jon Myung
5. John Entwistle

I don't think Flea belongs at #2...you don't even have Wooten on your list >_>

Cort

Apple Head
You need panelists for Bassist Power Rankings. I think a mission statement is also required.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The best G3 was Yngwie, Vai, and Satch because they all have the technical prowess and stage presence.

No one has said him so I figured it was good to show off talent like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GabWtq6Lsbg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W10O6wxTcrA
Really? I've seen the DVD from that tour and I thought it was laughable. Yngwie would keep randomly doing these high kicks because he thought they were going to end the song, then he'd look around at Satch and Vai, realize they were still playing, and start shredding again.

I ask you, what kind of man writes a song called "Baroque & Roll?"

Brookman

Smash Hero
if wooten was 6th where the hell was Jaco Pastorius?

Flea is just a mix of John Paul Jones and Bootsy Collins. Give or take. While Pastorius is a mix of genius and awesome.

_V_

Smash Ace
If you are judging by technical skill Wooten is hands down the best bassist living...but as we have stated about guitarists there is more to it than technical skill (like in smash too :p)

ZoSo

Smash Champion
If you are judging by technical skill Wooten is hands down the best bassist living...but as we have stated about guitarists there is more to it than technical skill (like in smash too :p)
There are bassists who can compete with Wooten, but it's pretty hard to match his personality.

Brookman

Smash Hero
What. But 1+1=2, or in fleas case, awesome.
Pastroius, 7.
Judging by your list, and your response to my questions about Wooten and Pastorius I've concluded you actually don't know anything. Pastorius is the greatest and most influential bassist of our time. Flea does have a great deal of influence, but it's more like Zelgadis' combo videos, and now all the nooby fox players just try to shine spike everyone.

Anyway, where do you have Bootsy Collins, John Paul Jones and, David Desrosiers?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Eric Johnson is certainly the most skilled overall. At least by my definition of skill. Plus Cliffs of Dover is like the happiest crazy guitar instrumental of all time.

A Diamond For Disease

Smash Journeyman
Let me tell you why Herman Li is not the best guitarist! Because He has been the same recycled music since their first demo(though i did like their demo), the same chord progression and melodies, yes he has amazing skill but his style is tired. Can anyone say DimeBag Darrell or Jeff Loomis.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Well my definition kind of encompasses compositional innovation and contributions to creating great music as opposed to just great guitar playing. Eric Johnson has incredible versatility and is a notorious perfectionist, taking between 6 and 9 years between albums due to his quest for the right tone and just the right sound. The fine polish shows in his work in both live performance and studio recordings.

Brookman

Smash Hero
lol, pun.

True, but the same thing happens every year.

Case in point:

Take note: Satch and Vai look like jungle beasts, while Johnson just looks like a pansy.

ENOUGH SAID.

Also, I think Johnson should stop johning and accept that his music just isn't as good as he wants it to be instead of using a "I'm a perfectionist" john and record his **** music. No Johnson.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
He actually did fairly recently and anticipates putting out an album a year from now on.

Musicianship also doesn't have much to do with jungle beasts or pansies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Neal Perth (or is it Pert) of Rush. Close second is Keith Moon of the Who. Danny Carey get an mention because I love his sound during any Tool song.

Also, as far as bassists go, no one can touch Les Claypool. He managed to make the bass go from a back beat to main stage. Innovation like that is incredible. Tied with Les, is John Entwistle of The Who. Amazing bassist who people ignore.

A great Bass/Guitar combo is Acid Bath which is Sammy Duet and, the late, Audie Pitre. They managed to play off each other so well that when got into that groove that made you bang your head, you knew it was awesome.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
It's Neil Peart*.

Les is one of my favorite musicians, but I think you give him too much credit. It's not like he was the first person to play a bass solo.

Favorite drummers: John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta), Tim Alexander (Primus), Brann Dailor (Mastodon)

Favorite bassists: Les Claypool (Primus), Terry Butler (Black Sabbath), John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

Both lists are in no particular order.

UncleGene

Smash Rookie
As I am no musician I don't feel I'm in any position to make claims or defend who I believe are the greatest guitarists, but among my favorites are Paco de Lucia, Robert Fripp, and Chuck Schuldiner.

I'm a fan of Laiho too, but his style seems to be growing generic as of late, which could be a result of a lot of bands following formulas incredibly similar to that of Children of Bodom's. And how old was he when they released Hatebreeder? Around 20?

_V_

Smash Ace
My favorite drummer of all time is Benny Greb...check him out...he has the best feel of any drummer, ever.

I am also a big Neal Peart fan, and a BIG Yes fan. All great musicians.

I never got into Tool, but no one can deny the fact that they are great musicians. I can say the same thing about Phish...I really don't care for their songs, but man, they are all disgusting musicians. Just not my cup of tea.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
My favorite drummer of all time is Benny Greb...check him out...he has the best feel of any drummer, ever.

I am also a big Neal Peart fan, and a BIG Yes fan. All great musicians.

I never got into Tool, but no one can deny the fact that they are great musicians. I can say the same thing about Phish...I really don't care for their songs, but man, they are all disgusting musicians. Just not my cup of tea.
I'm surprised that Yes is kind of an unknown band nowadays. They really don't get the recognition they deserve.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Alive? Modern?

Paul Waggoner, of Between the Buried and Me. Yes, he plays mostly metal, but that is just a smidgen of his musicwriting and playing ability. Herman Li is fast but there's no tone or melody like Paul. I always thought sweep picking was little more than ****ery before I listened to him

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p0cFsu-eI7k <the 1:30 of the end solo to their song Selkies: The Endless Obsession. Bad quality, but it's the only video that shows him playing clearly. Gorgeous

Kada

Smash Journeyman
In terms of guitar players. I think Joe Satriani has a great sound. He may not be the fastest, but he sure knows how to write some catchy tunes.

Also, Michael Angelo Batio deserves some recognition. Sure, his stuff gets boring real quick, but he's probably one of the fastest guitarists alive.

I also like Marty Friedman, from Megadeth. He had a lot of skill, and a great sound. I love his work in Hangar 18. Great stuff.

I also like to give some recognition to the two japanese guitarists from The Black Mages, Tsuyoshi Sekito and Michio Okamiya. Whenever I hear The Black Mages, it always blows my mind. I always think to myself "Dang, even in terms of the guitar legends, these guys are GOOD"

And then there's Eddie Van Halen. Sure, lots of people think he's way overdone. But I like him. Possibly because I love Van Halen, and Eruption was the first real guitar solo I ever heard.

When it comes to bass players. I like Les Claypool. I love the different variations of playing and instruments he uses in his songs. Listening to Primus is always an awesome experience, mostly because of him ;)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Or Alice in Chains who they completely rip-off of. I like Godsmack, but Sully can't touch Jerry Cantrell.

Top Bottom