• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl-: 1.5-1.6 thread archive. 2.0 is stickied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
Serin i'm goona **** you at AUSOM!

but on topic stuff:
Whenever I'm on the CSS it won't turn controllers off.

Like if I turn the game on with a wiimote and I get to the css and it's there, in player 3 or something, but I can't just click it away I have to take the batteries out of it.

Is this just me?
No, that's a problem with the CSS fix. Happens to everyone. I believe a fix is being looked at currently :)

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
What does then? ._.
It would have to be something with a character or stage to cause a desynch. Only things that are transmitted between both players can cause a desynch (so music/textures, as they only show on YOUR screen, can't) as far as I know.

They're trying to single out what is causing it, but it's not the easiest thing to do :(

EDIT: Guess I coulda made that one post. Sorry! D:

Xyless

Smash Master
Well, looks like Izaniki said more or less what I was going to.

As far as desyncing, we're still trying to figure out why the heck it desyncs so much, but from our understanding, sometimes it's the wifi missing inputs (generally when they happen halfway through the match or whatever), sometimes things you do in the WiFi Waiting Room change for you, but not the opponent, and sometimes it's something wrong with the character.

Word of advice: To reduce the chance of desyncing, don't do anything in the WWR.

We're still looking into it, mind you, but considering the amount of changes we've made, it could be plenty of things, and we can't really debug it properly.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Hmmmm any estimate on how often updates will be put out?
Well. Think of it like this. We're fresh on the scene. If we update too much, nobody will want to settle in. If we update too little, people will feel neglected and balance might suffer.

Since we're new, we don't know the middle ground well, and we need to. So right now there's no way to tell how often we will update.

just wanted to share the fact that at a fest i was at a lot of people were playing B- and were having a blast, just wanted to pass on their positive feedback as I'm sure the team enjoys to hear that their work is enjoyed
Awesome. Did you play any? Was there any "wow this is too good, needs nerf"? Etc?

I main Fox.

And he is too much for the whole cast.
People say he's bad :xd:

Also note you can cancel downward airdodges with specials. ;)

Changeable tags online?
You can change tags online. I said this already. Same way as before.

shanus

Smash Hero
Well. Think of it like this. We're fresh on the scene. If we update too much, nobody will want to settle in. If we update too little, people will feel neglected and balance might suffer.

Since we're new, we don't know the middle ground well, and we need to. So right now there's no way to tell how often we will update.

Awesome. Did you play any? Was there any "wow this is too good, needs nerf"? Etc?

People say he's bad :xd:

Also note you can cancel downward airdodges with specials. ;)

You can change tags online. I said this already. Same way as before.
I didnt play too much, but zelda made me want to rage

BEES

Smash Lord
Tried an interesting experiment today: loaded the Brawl+ gct with Brawl- pac files and everything else.

Anyone else think to try this?

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
For everyone who has an account on brawlminus.com, I would like you to visit this thread. I'm gathering info on who's maining who, so that those of us who do not yet know who to main but would like to help every character develop can see who needs more playtesters. I haven't figured out a main yet, and thought that I for one could do so through this thread. For those of you who want to be special (like me!!!!), this is a good place to check out : ) I haven't got that far yet, and your help would be appreciated.

If you are not a member on www.brawlminus.com yet, now's a good time to become one. Despite our one house troll and me (10% for spam :3), it's a nice and fun place to hang out and I hope you'll like it ; )

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
put it on my sd card and me and a buddy played for a good 3 hours straight last night.

excellent job guys, i especially like what you guys did with bowser and luigi.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Speaking of Bowser, what are the properties on his super armor? When does it kick in and when is he vulnerable?

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Kirk picked a lame time to ditch thats for sure =p. Id like to know though, from my experience, it seems he has more SA when hes in a tumble state, but I cant be to sure

Ryose

Smash Cadet
I tried Brawl minus on a whim yesterday since I skimmed through some post here and heard there were Pit shenanigans and I'd just like you say

It exceeded all of my expectations. I almost brawlgasm'd at the CSS. Keep it up

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
I'd search the thread for this if I could, but after a couple of matches ZSS' whip hitboxes started to disappear after it hit somebody once. Like, I connected with an U-Smash or Forward-B, and after the first hit none of the whip attacks registered. Restarting fixed the problem.

Looks like a very strange fluke.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I played some of this with some of the other KC players and maybe took is slightly seriously. Take the feedback in that regard.

As a whole game, it's pretty fun. Most of the characters seem broken enough to compete, a few exceptions I'll bring up. If we were going to take this game seriously as a tournament game (shocking I know), I think the main problem it would have would not be any one character dominating but rather that there exist a wide number of hard counter matchups. I don't know how much those bother this development team, but I think in the long run most people would either use several characters with Zelda & Sheik, Pokemon Trainer, and Samus having the benefit of option select character picking.

Specific character feedback:

Bowser is the most polarizing character by far. Low damage "combo" characters have almost no hope of beating him. Some characters have a few good options to pierce his armor and have evenish matchups. The other heavy hitters just wreck him, and he has no hope of winning. In specific, I saw that Bowser beats Lucario at least 80:20, goes close to even with Pikachu probably slightly Bowser's favor, and loses to Ganondorf at least 10:90 maybe even worse with severely uphill matchups against Ike and Captain Falcon as well but better against them than against Ganondorf. Bowser is beyond unviable as a main, but he makes a ridiculous secondary. I'm not sure if Bowser is fixable given his current design, but I think at a tournament level Bowser would be the single biggest problem for the metagame. I don't think he even would earn a tier placing because of this status...

Olimar is super bad and as far as I could tell easily the worst character in the game; you guys really just need to rethink him. Olimar feels nerfed from standard Brawl which given the power level of the game is a really, really bad sign for him. The small thing is a nice thought in a way, but it really does hurt him more than it helps him so if you want to run with it you should tweak his physical attributes a lot to compensate. He also needs something better than a buffed Pikmin Pluck which is honestly barely useful.

I spent most of my time using Pokemon Trainer for his flexibility in working around hard counter matchups, and I mostly liked what I saw (if I play more Brawl-, it will be as a PT main). You guys mostly did a really good job on Squirtle, but a small tweak that could be fun would be increasing the speed boost he gets from turning around (one of the earlier listed physical attributes governs this) to make his pivot gimmicks even better. Ivysaur feels like he needs a little help, but he's close to right with a mostly good feeling and the hilariously awesome bair. I really don't like the feel of his recovery very much, and I'd kinda like dsmash to have a little more bkb to be more reliable at the game's power level. Dunno if you guys did anything to Razor Leaf and Bullet Seed, but both were getting some good mileage for me even if they were kinda tricky; small buffs to either move are another possible way to make Ivysaur just make that small leap he needs to be just right. Charizard, however, feels really underpowered. I didn't explore him much because honestly he seemed pretty bad, but I think he needs some attention and love for your next release (buffed Rock Smash! You know you want to!). I can't even say anything more about Charizard because I wasn't doing much other than getting smacked around and wishing I had awesome stuff like everyone else whenever I was him.

I also really, really dislike the removal of auto-switch. If I'm actually playing as the trainer, isn't that a sign I actually want to use Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard? I was actually switching at the start of stocks even unsafely just because not switching as PT was really annoying me and was making it hard for me to use the character the way the character is fun for me (which involves a constant mix-up of playstyle by shifting character).

I also don't know if you guys included all the costume files for PT on the SD card (I was a little... overwhelmed by other factors to notice my switch time), but if you didn't, you really should and also make sure the animations involved with switching go nice and fast. I am mostly saying this to make sure it's known that not everyone subscribes to the insanity of solo Pokemon, and some of us really like PT himself! All around, PT is probably near the top of the 2nd tier right now, mostly not top tier because Ivysaur is slightly underpowered (not too bad) and Charizard's main role on the team is slowing down your ability to switch from Ivysaur to Squirtle...

Other general tier comments...

Ganondorf, Ike, Zelda & Sheik, and Ice Climbers are just all around really good, probably top tier. Even among the game's generally broken characters, these guys really stand out. Zelda & Sheik is my pick for the best character in the game, probably with a heavier focus on Zelda but Sheik has some silly stuff too so you can't rule her out as an important character half. All around, all these characters are also fun to use and fun to fight against so I'm not saying this as a suggestion to nerf them so much as just trying to identify them as top tiers.

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Captain Falcon are safely high tier but probably not top. Most of the rest of the cast is hard to place so if I don't mention them later, it doesn't mean I didn't use them it just means I'm not sure of how good they are yet.

Snake and R.O.B. are single change gimmicks that are probably very powerful and would be big factors in the metagame. It's hard to say how they'd play out, but I don't like how they work out relative to the formerly listed top tiers (who are top tier because they have a ton of broken stuff, as opposed to one thing that's really, really broken and then the rest of them is only kinda of broken).

Ness and Mr. Game & Watch feel underdone and underpowered. I've already chatted with Linkshot a bit about G&W, feel more strongly about that having used him more. Ness is just... underwhelming in every way. He's not awful, but his power level and flashiness are just way below the standards of this project. He needs serious attention for your next release, but I have no suggestions.

That's all I have; I hope it's helpful. God job on making a fun game with a lot of identity. I hope you guys decide to take the effort to actually tweak for balance while not lowering the game's power level and give some attention to a few characters who IMO kinda fell through the cracks; I wouldn't mind seeing a honed version of this as a routine side-event at tournaments.

Crystalorbie

Smash Cadet
Buckeye, AZ---Northern Arizona University
OOH!!!

That reminds me about G&W's Down-B move.

If you hold the control stick (heck, any button but Neutral-B) after pulling out the bucket, he cancels it into whatever you are pressing.

I realize this may be intentional, but it sometimes happens fast enough that I can't release down on the control stick before he ducks, and then gets hit by the object he was intending to absorb. (I'm talking split second cancels here...)

Also, I know it only takes one projectile to fill up, but how is damage/knockback calculated now?

Revven

FrankerZ
I also really, really dislike the removal of auto-switch. If I'm actually playing as the trainer, isn't that a sign I actually want to use Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard? I was actually switching at the start of stocks even unsafely just because not switching as PT was really annoying me and was making it hard for me to use the character the way the character is fun for me (which involves a constant mix-up of playstyle by shifting character).
It's not really removed, just hold L/R right as you die to switch to the next Pokemon. (This should really be put in the OP even if their changelist isn't done yet).

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Personally I thought Ness was kinda ridiculous. Fair seems to beat EVERYTHING, that alone seems to break him enough. I definitely don't think he's underpowered in any way, but YMMV I guess.

I didn't think G&W was that special either. But I do love how he can combo very well and has his melee nair back.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I was skeptical about this, but after playing it I absolutely love the direction the project is going. It already has more identity than Brawl+ (which is still fantastic and incredibly polished, I have nothing to say against it). I think though, that while your original intention may have been to break everyone, the end result turned out to be a bit different, and with real substance. I believe that more than anything, Brawl- succeeds in taking the most unique aspects of characters and further differentiating them from the rest of the cast, giving each character a very unique identity and adding tons of variety. Of course I also believe that the philosophy of balancing up (as in, making every character better. Breaking them preferrably) is way more fun than balancing down and you should definitely continue with that. I also like the massive hitstun. I thought .48 was too much for Brawl+ because it allowed stupid auto-combos, but the hitstun in Brawl- is so high that it greatly rewards combo play, and opens up the possibility for some ridiculous ones. As a side note, adding some flash makes things more interesting from a visual standpoint. I also love the menu and CSS.

That being said, I think there is an inconsistent level of brokenness across the cast.

Mario's fireballs seem just a tad too fast...it can really be a pain to get back on stage with a wall of fireballs flying at you. Other than that he doesn't feel much different, and I think the individualized feeling of each character is what Brawl- should shoot for.

Luigi is a ton of fun...but what's with his air speed? It just seems...odd to me. His fireballs seem to fit a little better than Mario's since they travel horizontally. I love his random trip attack, and that it can be canceled, and the auto-shoryuken.

DK seems ok...just really boring compared to the rest of the cast, and he doesn't really feel different.

Bowser is....something. The super armor is a cool idea, but it just has a ridiculous effect on his matchups. Maybe do something like give his moves SA up to a certain percentage of the damage they deal? I toyed around with it some and it seemed feasible. I think that would still meet the same design goal but make it easier to balance his matchups.

I absolutely LOVE Meta Knight. He's not really flashy, but he is so quick and an absolute blast to play.

Ganon is fun to play too, and I love the ohko 666% warlock punch. If you get hit by it you deserve to get KO'd, but with the massive hitstun it can be combo'd into.

Falco seems to have been really buffed, is pretty flashy and fun to play...but Fox on the other hand feels almost exactly the same.

I love ROB, particularly his neutral B (as ridiculous as it is) and his dair. Using dair to wavedash is a ton of fun.

Samus I like...but I have a beef with her homing missles. The combination of their speed and degree of homing is just too much. She edgeguards like a beast with them, it's really hard to get back on stage if she missile spams.

I have some other impressions, but I'll hold onto them for now, mostly because I don't have the time to sit here and type an essay. Anyway, great work so far, I look forward to seeing how it evolves and develops.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I was thinking about how ICs had their chaingrabs removed and while i still like most of the changes to them I sometimes wonder why exactly it was done. The game mechanics for brawl- make getting the grab a bit more difficult anyway with the higher shieldstun (which I don't have a problem with btw) so it might not make them ridiculously broken even for this game. Not to mention they've got an incredibly short grab range lol.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
The Bowser problem does seem like he needs to be changed. The super armor should be at outrageous values so it basically can't be broke and only on some moves. Slow and gigantic moves that are very powerful would be really cool. For instance, increase start up on fire a lot but make it like four times as big. The way super armor is implemented now definitely had this problem coming.

What's the thoughts on Mario with everyone?

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
Mario can link Uptilts into itself so many times that it is extremely lame and boring to face. Other than that, pretty cool. Cape might need another buff due to how Brawl recovery works.

I'm not a Mario- player though, I main Bowser.

F1SHY

Smash Apprentice
T. Link's Down-Taunt is amazing.
Cpt. Falcon's up-down-up super taunt is amazing.
Pikachu's thunder->shield->thunder->repeat seems a little more broken than it should be.
Sheik shenanigans are really fun.

My only light problems about the game is the fact that ledges are auto-sweetspot, and that ledgegrabbing has little to no invicibility frames. Other than that, this game is great.

Xyless

Smash Master
We made the ledges auto-sweetspot for the sake of Diddy, whom, without auto-sweetspot, really gets screwed over more than the rest of the cast.

Plus we ain't Brawl+!

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I tried the Ice Climbers, but I'm just not feeling them. I never did like them in vBrawl or Brawl + either.

And Wario is pretty nuts. I'm surprised more people aren't singing his praises.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
ICs take a LOT of getting used to, but they're tons of fun once you learn all of their little tweaks.
I'll give them another try. I really want to like them, I was an IC main in Melee.

Anything in particular I should look for or try out?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I swear when all of the changelists come out all of you guys who said 'x character feels boring' will rethink. :)

Also we have some very interesting things abrewing backstage... A flying ivysaur, emo pikmin, and Wario's Bike with Nitrous, among fixes for all of the assorted glitches* :B

* ...Except wifi <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom