• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl-: 1.5-1.6 thread archive. 2.0 is stickied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count Typo

Smash Apprentice
Question: Why is there an extra file for each folder in the 1.6.zip? Can I get rid of those, or are they necessary?

EDIT:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
If I recall, it's how Mac OS X's index works. Rather than trawling through dozens of GBs of data, it just creates a copy of the entire folder structure, with minimal file size, vastly improving search and index times.

NNID
Budget_Player

Count Typo

Smash Apprentice
(I wrote this at like 1 A.M. so sorry for misspellings/choppy grammar. :laugh: )

I was toying around with Marth just a few minutes ago, and I noticed a glitch. I was versing a Level 9 Toon Link, and the very first attack of the match was his arrow, which of course sticks to the ground as a stage hazard. After about 20-30 seconds, I ran into it's typical hitbox zone (but not directly on it), and it doesn't dissipate.

Fast-forward three minutes: I run straight through it, yet it has no effect on me. I fight for perhaps another half minute, and Toon Link shoots out another arrow. It lands on the ground, and I run into it and get hit. It is only that one arrow. I saved a replay in case somebody wanted to take a look at it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?syer04zlwf3insw

Technical Notes:

~ All my characters have been updated to Brawl- 1.6.
~ Toon Link is Level 9.
~ There are no Fit______MotionEtc.pac files for either character.
~ Marth does not have a texture.
~ My codes are the standard for Brawl- 1.6, plus some additional codes for my CSS (nothing that should effect gameplay). Link can be found here.
~ My stage texture was the Dataflow Sanctuary, which can be found here and here.
~ As far as I know, this stage texture is no different than the traditional FD outside of visual aspects.
~ My character texture for Toon Link was a Geno texture, which can be found here. I cannot find where I downloaded it on Brawl Vault, so I re-uploaded it directly from my SD Card.

Other Notes:

~ This has never happened to me before. My friends and I play as Toon Link frequently, and have never encountered this.
~ Toon Link fires his arrow in the first few seconds.
~ I encounter what should be the arrow's hitbox after about 20 seconds.
~ I run through the hitbox after three minutes.
~ Shortly after I run into, and am hit by, his second landed arrow.

I hope this (over abundance of) information can help in some way. ^_^

Slashy

Smash Lord
That's a well known glitch that happens when you Perfect Shield the fire arrow's hitbox while it is on the ground.

JOE!

Smash Hero
@earlier question:

All i did was load the files directly from the link on the OP onto a blank SD card...

Nintendo Maniac 64

Smash Apprentice
I have just seen the most epic and amazing thing ever, Final Falcon Punch; Brawl minus Falcon absolutely NEEDS this:

Here's the source of that image:
http://elitesmashhackers.org/2010/02/24/another-new-member-kurobit-has-also-joined-esh/

And the downloads:
[url=http://smashmods.com/forum/user-171.html]MonkUnit of Smash Mods[/url] said:
Place these two files in pf>fighter>captain
Rename this file to FitCaptainFinal.pac
Rename this file to FitCaptainMotionEtc.pac

This will give you the final falcon punch, but it does not have the fire graphics like that picture does. I believe the fire would have to be added through PSA.

AFAIK this should not desync replays or wifi.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
^That Final Smash is in the Onslaught Falcon PSA that you can find somewhere in BrawlVault.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Smash Apprentice
Or I could post it. :p

[url=http://smashmods.com/forum/user-171.html]MonkUnit of Smash Mods[/url] said:
Place these two files in pf>fighter>captain
Rename this file to FitCaptainFinal.pac
Rename this file to FitCaptainMotionEtc.pac

This will give you the final falcon punch, but it does not have the fire graphics like that picture does. I believe the fire would have to be added through PSA.

AFAIK this should not desync replays or wifi.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i still think we should make our own.

where falcon gets in his car, then it turns back around, drives back towards the stage.
then when it comes back, he jumps out of it, does a reverse aerial falcon punch, and the gfx are huge, and then it blows up the whole screen. like the anime.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i believe biosonic made something that can do that, but riivolution is pretty much an easy ways to do it

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Would you please, for the love of god, take the STUPID luigi trip out? I can't tell you how frustrating it is not to know whether or not you're going to get a dash when you input a dash in this game.

On top of it, it ruins any chance of getting a punish or a combo continuation out of a nonteched opponent, or even a tech chase.

Sakurai ruined my character for giggles in brawl, I wish you guys wouldn't do it in minus too. I understand that luigi is really freaking good in this game, but I honestly would trade just about anything in luigi's arsenal to get rid of the trip. Do me a favor, as a luigi main that actually attends minus tournaments, please get rid of the trip. I'm tired of dealing with random bull**** (regular brawl missfires, sticking in walls, double trip chance, HILARIOUS traction, brawlminus tripping) because my character is goofy.

NNID
Budget_Player
Would you please, for the love of god, take the STUPID luigi trip out? I can't tell you how frustrating it is not to know whether or not you're going to get a dash when you input a dash in this game.

On top of it, it ruins any chance of getting a punish or a combo continuation out of a nonteched opponent, or even a tech chase.

Sakurai ruined my character for giggles in brawl, I wish you guys wouldn't do it in minus too. I understand that luigi is really freaking good in this game, but I honestly would trade just about anything in luigi's arsenal to get rid of the trip. Do me a favor, as a luigi main that actually attends minus tournaments, please get rid of the trip. I'm tired of dealing with random bull**** (regular brawl missfires, sticking in walls, double trip chance, HILARIOUS traction, brawlminus tripping) because my character is goofy.
The trip is an immensely powerful combo starter with almost instantaneous IASA and very fast movement speed. Not really an argument against anything you're saying, I'm just shocked you'd want it gone. Also it's a 1/2 chance, so you can kinda rely on it.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Please remove tripping from luigi minus.

It's slower than his trip, its hitsun sucks. It sends them downwards and away, and its too fast to react to unless you want it to happen. Its (don't quote me on this, just the way it feels) slower(?) but definetly worse movement than his dash, but more importantly you don't have control over the distance. Well technically you do, since you can jump or shield or attack to cancel it, but in practice it happens way too fast to make that practical when it suprises you.

Whether or not I have a hitbox out when I'm moving on the ground is something I want to be able to CONTROL. Luigi's trip animation is basically the reason he can't reliably kill people out of a throw. If I could hit a button and make him trip, that would be AWESOME, but I understand that the way the move is built making it his defacto dash attack would pretty much break the character. Theoretically taking away the trip is a nerf, but logistically and practically its not. If I guess correctly what my opponent wants to do, with luigi in this game, they really ought to die. And the only thing I've found getting in the way of that is the inability to predict reliably what luigi is going to do when I input a dash.

I'm no scrub, I've been playing tournament smash since it came out, I've been to two brawl minus buy-in tournaments (mostly because they never happen) and placed third and fifth out of 20 and 30, and the last one was basically a regional. I don't mean to brag, I mean to show that I do feel like I know what I'm talking about. The first one the game was pretty new, and luigi's trip was still pretty broken, like, you could play trip as a character and do fine. I just didn't like it. Now however, it just gets in the way. I would be willing to bet that if I could have disabled luigi's trip in this most recent tournament, I'd have beaten shugo and links (who I had a really close set with) and would have gotten at LEAST 3rd out of 33. Luigi's dash cancel dsmash is the only hitbox he has that's quick enough to pick up nonteched opponents half a stage away from luigi in the middle of a combo, and trip ruins it. Not to mention it ****s my spacing when I'm trying to continue aerial combos.

I feel like one of the major goals of this game (of course I could be wrong about this) is to give players of this game what they want out of their character. Snake is extra manly, falcon is extra awesome and jiggs can finally combo into rest ( a rest that kills again), where luigi main's main complaint is the silly bull**** that the creators of this game put on luigi basically for a laugh. Luigi's missfire in brawl is fun, and silly in friendlies, but in serious situations basically just gets you killed or massively punished 1/8 times you use the move. Ask most luigis and they'd tell you they'd rather misfire not be a part of green missile (which might also get the "why would you want that gone?" response).

Yea, I agree. It's sad that a character with so much going for him is ruined because of stupid gimmicks that the producers thought would be funny to do.
If luigi is too good, nerf him, thats not why I play luigi. If losing the tripping buffs an already excellent character, and he needs balancing, please do that instead. But luigi already trips for 2 in brawl, and that pisses luigi mains off. The fact that he's the only character in minus that still has a chance of doing something other than dash when you input a dash is garbage, even if the other option is still technically a good result.

Please please please please please just get rid of it.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Luigi's tripping does damage and can be auto cancelled. It used to be extremely broken because he got invincibility during it. So it's not really a bad thing.

I personally love the misfire in both brawl and even more in brawl-. I've killed with misfire in Brawl and it makes me so happy. In minus, killing with it is actually viable. You can go through things with it now (projectiles, pikmin if latched, even your opponent) and still do nice damage.

These are my opinions though. Although as a person I like odd things, I think the trip and misfire are good things.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
A free hit with interrupt at any time that combos into the most potent finisher in the game should not aggravate you. We have coney, a top placing Luigi main in minus, backing up random trip. A huge part of Brawl- is the WTF factor. Trip is Luigi's version of that. It's not going anywhere.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
isn't luigi still like
Really really good?

There are way dumber stuff in minus than his trip.
I don't think it's worthy enough to be raged about, but yeah it's dumb.
Dog's makin some good points. But i dont think it needs to be taken out.

Also, due to skill level we should invite him into wiffy playtesting room if he plays wiffy. We need SOMEONE good in there other than me, and coney.
Lol nah but yeah Tson. Recruit dis *****.

And ive never seen coney back up trip, he just does well with weegee. But his weegee is almost entirely aerial.
At least when i played him/seen him play.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Luigi should barely be on the ground in this game anyway, so his tripping is even less intrusive than you're suggesting it is. On top of the fact that it's a pretty awesome option for him, but it takes a learning curve.

But really he doesn't need to be on the ground like ever. He's so ridiculously good in the air.

Probably the only thing Luigi really wishes was that his grab game was better, but that would make him unfair beyond belief. Generally there isn't much reason for him to be on the ground, you do better abusing his insane aerial mobility for godly spacing options.

Coney

Smash Master
i've never felt one way or another on the trip, i'd be fine if it were removed, my style is in the air all the time anyway...cr4sh may be right, i honestly don't know. i suggested that you make his trip crouch cancel-able, which was my only gripe with it

but cr4sh (hi btw! how you been!) i'd just suggest doing what you were going to do anyway before the trip

typically i'll dash at someone and try to do something, only to trip...and still do the attack/grab/whatever. it just racks up more damage

unless i'm remembering 1.0 when it was faster, not quite sure

in any case he's fine with or without it

also luigi's grab game is just fine...you can crouch cancel jabs into grab, and jab>grab might not be guaranteed, but it **** sure feels like it is. you can uthrow to upb pretty much guaranteed, can fthrow > fthrow or usmash at low percents, and bthrow kills pretty early. as a ddd main in brawl, i love my grabs, trust me. pretty sure dthrow is bad but who cares, with all these other options he's set

luigi's a fine character at the competitive level in minus. he actually reminds me a lot of luigi in regular brawl, to be honest, in that he has the potential to completely flip a game around

bair is his standard go-to killer, as it'll do the job whether sweetspotted or not

fair is his off-stage pressure...inexperienced players have no idea how to handle it

upb is a ridiculous DI punisher, whether the opponent is trying to escape too high (sourspot) or, worse, trying to DI through (sweetspot)

misfire is overrated and pretty finely balanced. if you're getting killed by it, you're bad

dsmash is a perfect gtfo move, especially coupled with landing inside someone and buffering out of airdodge

crouch cancel fsmash tricks are ****ing hilarious...@ apex i initiated a dash, crouched to slide under a ROB's nair like indiana ****ing jones and fsmashed him the other way as he fell through

lol sorry for the writeup, i just never really gave my thoughts on this FANTASTIC CHARACTER

oh also, if you don't hold Y after you win, you weren't playing luigi

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Probably the only thing Luigi really wishes was that his grab game was better, but that would make him unfair beyond belief. Generally there isn't much reason for him to be on the ground, you do better abusing his insane aerial mobility for godly spacing options.
But it IS SO GOOOD, except for the trip.....:mad::mad::mad:

typically i'll dash at someone and try to do something, only to trip...and still do the attack/grab/whatever. it just racks up more damage

also luigi's grab game is just fine...you can crouch cancel jabs into grab, and jab>grab might not be guaranteed, but it **** sure feels like it is. you can uthrow to upb pretty much guaranteed, can fthrow > fthrow or usmash at low percents, and bthrow kills pretty early. as a ddd main in brawl, i love my grabs, trust me. pretty sure dthrow is bad but who cares, with all these other options he's set

-----

crouch cancel fsmash tricks are ****ing hilarious...@ apex i initiated a dash, crouched to slide under a ROB's nair like indiana ****ing jones and fsmashed him the other way as he fell through
Hi coney! Nice to see you respond, nice to see that you play minus luigi!

So, based on your response I notice that I haven't been very clear on what I've been trying to say (jake got it, but he knows me). OK, at any point in this game where luigi has just landed a hit, the way he's built he's able to kill anyone for being obvious with DI. BairX4 for the kill, utiltx2-usmash-uair-upb, or instead of the upb, a couple bairs, dsmash uair chase bair missfire off the side, utilts to usmash to uairX2 upb. What I mean is you can get REALLY creative based on where they're going, because you're fast enough to chase them and your moveset is good enough to continue and put them into a place you can hit them again. The main weakspot in this arsenal seems to be that when an opponent is on the ground nonteched. You can punish any tech reaction regularly because you have the speed to do so. His moves don't hit low enough to hit a lying opponent (unteched) except for a ffnair from an aerial halt, a LONG WAIT falling bair or a dash-up smash or jab (or tilt if you're dumb). The first two are WAY TOO SLOW to hit anyone but the most hesitant or mind****ed of opponents.

You mentioned that you think dthrow isn't very good, but I disagree, aside from the ****ing trip. It puts you about a third of a battlefield (lol measurements) in front of you and bounces them, allowing them to tech or not. Most people I've played don't tech it, which puts them at the mercy of dthrow->dash cancel dsmash. This in turn puts them at the mercy (assuming you got the grab at low percents) of basically DEATH. Or at least 65% in combo damage. If they tech, its a tech chase, and goofyspeed minus luigi will kill you for that. If however you trip at this point, gg, you have to fish for another hit. Because the trip picks them up out of untech, and places them safely at the ledge with very very little hitstun. It pisses me off to no end.

Dthrow is, of course, not the only way to achieve this situation, but it's the most obvious one. And uthrow either throws them too high to do much good, or doesn't have the hitstun to really matter (depending on %).

Luigi's dash in minus has the potential to basically work like luigi's wavedash in melee. Except wavedashing doesn't randomly put out a hitbox.

On the other hand you have a situation where you want to get at an opponent either in hitstun or vulnerable, or predictable. While they're in the air, or they're fat and on the ground (bowser comes to mind). Now a short hop in some cases just won't do, because it won't cover exactly as much ground as you want it to. So the obvious answer is to move some, then short hop, but OH HEY! YOU TRIPPED! Now your spacing is ****. Try again next time they get predictable, I'm luigi, I have bad physics and I hate you.

That time you were indiana jones. Would you have been able to do it exactly as you had if you had guessed wrong whether luigi had tripped or not? Keeping in mind that his trip doesn't have the same speed as his dash.

In other words, it really annoys me. Really alot.

A free hit with interrupt at any time that combos into the most potent finisher in the game should not aggravate you. We have coney, a top placing Luigi main in minus, backing up random trip. A huge part of Brawl- is the WTF factor. Trip is Luigi's version of that. It's not going anywhere.
Its not a free hit. Its a free hit if they don't shield and you expect it. Thats some IF going on. **** IF.

I think you guys are missing his point.
Ty.

----

I'll play luigi no matter what you do to him, or don't do to him. He's my boy, he's my character, and I'm going to stick by him. Me and luigi, we are the same.

I guess what I'm saying is, please let me predict my character. Please let me know what my inputs are going to do. Please let me play this game with the character of my choice like the rest of you without the random bull**** of brawl luigi. Thank you for making my character good though =).

If you came in here to tell me you like vanilla luigi's misfire, I'm angry at you and we should fight.

P.S. Dthrow, dsmash, bair bair missfire. STOCK.

P.P.S. @coney Bang! Bang!

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Bang! Bang!
BA-BA-BA-BANG!

i mean, just dont not expect the trip, and you can just change your timing just a little. the only thing is that you cant dsmash out of it, i dont think. it makes you do a dash attack. if we change that, would it be better?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
It's random. What silly guy is gonna powershield whenever he sees you dash because there's a 1/8 chance that you'll trip?

If trip bothers you, stay in the air (or wait for 2.0 when you can crouch cancel it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom