• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

C.J.

Smash Master
Inputting a move during the last 10 frames of a previous action so that the inputted move comes out on the first frame possible.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
To explain a little further, an aerial will catch the item while still performing the aerial, you can input grab to just catch the item, or you can air dodge and immediately press the c-stick to instantly grab and throw the item (which is faster than using grab to catch it and then throwing it).

C.J.

Smash Master
Does anyone have exact frame data on Z-catches/Z-drops.

Specifically, you're holding an item and hit Z, how long till it drops out of your hand? How long until you can act again.

You catch an item with Z. In the past, I've attempted to Z-drop it very soon afterwards and it made me air dodge. When can Z-dropping/throwing the item be done? After you catch it, how long till you can do an aerial/special?

Yikarur

Smash Master
Z-Drop has no lag at all.
you can Z-Drop on one frame and special, jump whatever in the next frame.
be aware that "Z-Drop" is Shield + Attack in the same frame so you can't use Attack or Shield in the following frame. (the game reads that as "holding" said input)
Same for Z-Catching.
You can Z-Catch on Frame 1 and Z-Drop on Frame 3. (not on frame 2 because of the explanation I just gave)

oh and you drop the item in the very first frame of the Z-Drop.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I remember reading somewhere that it is not possible for someone to powershield all three hits of MK's Fair in a row. Is this true, and if it is, why is that? Shieldstun, shieldlag?

And if it is true, can the same as be said about Meta Knight's Mach Tornado?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Shielding is just one of those things you can't do after a power shield. You have to wait till after the shield drop frames (7 frames?) to shield again.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
whoa whoa whoa.

I thought one of the benefits of power shielding was that you can completely bypass those shield drop frames and act immediately.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Yeah, isn't that why the whole "Power Shield Cancelling" thing works?
Edit: I know there isn't actual cancellation involved and it's just powershielding+punishing, but isn't that why it works? No 7-frame shield drop?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Just a question: does anyone know how many frames do you have to tech a wall (to prevent a stage spike). And can you do that before you even get hit if the move has no hitlag? I'm having trouble learning it and it'd really save me tons of matches if I knew the window.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think it was like 20 frames to tech and if you miss the input, you have to wait 40 frames before attempting it again.
The thing is, you can't input a tech during hitlag, you have to input it after it ends.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
is shield drop frames different for when you cancel moves into shield opposed to just dropping shield normally?

Mike2

Smash Ace
I noticed the japanese are really good at buffering dashes. Anybody have any insight on what method they use? I'm trying to get consistent with the cstick down method. Is there a better way(that won't put you at as much risk if you mess up)?

Also when you power shield you have no shield drop frames, so this means you cannot do moves out of shield, correct? Like for dash attack OoS I use the control stick forward + cstick up method. If I power shield, this shouldn't work right since there are no shield drop frames to buffer it? I would actually have to push forward with the control stick and push A really fast if I wanted the same/improved speed?

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
The c stick down method consists of holding forward on the control stick and the pushing down on the c stick all during the buffering window to get a buffered dash correct?

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Can you cancel your jump start-up with your double-jump?

Also, if you buffer a double-jump and an aerial at the same time (say, you U-Air and then you buffer a jumping U-Air), if an opponent is in range for it, will you footstool -> U-Air, and/or will you footstool at all?

C.J.

Smash Master
No to the first question, you have to be in the air to double jump. You can double jump the first frame you're in the air though.

For the second question, I believe you would footstool and do a rising aerial.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How do you DI or Momentum Cancel or w/e a meteor smash?
I assume the term you're looking for is "meteor cancel," which is jumping to counteract the knockback of a meteor smash.

You press a Jump button or Up-B after a certain amount of time has passed while you're in the "flying downward" position. Most characters take 30 frames. Notable exceptions are tether character (15 frames) and Wolf (60 frames!). If you press it too early, you won't be able to do it when the time is right.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
If it helps, 60 frames = 1 second.
So as long as you're playing a non-tether character that isn't Wolf, press jump/upB half a second after you get hit by the meteor smash.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does aerial Bullet Seed's startup hitbox just not hit opponents unless they're touching the ground (as in, standing, crouching, laying down, etc.)?

I don't understand why that would be. As far as I know, no other move appears to have that property.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Don't alot of moves have different size hitboxes for grounded or aerial targets?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Don't alot of moves have different size hitboxes for grounded or aerial targets?
Yes, and Bullet Seed either has the same size or larger startup hitbox when in the air.

It's just...If the opponent is not touching the ground, the startup hitbox of the aerial version doesn't appear to hit them. Like, ever. They could be right next to you or right below you, and it won't hit them. It seems like a weird prerequisite exclusive to aerial Bullet Seed, and maybe Charizard D-Smash, but I probably just imagine that one BECAUSE OF aerial Bullet Seed.

Tesh

Smash Hero
No I'm saying, isn't it pretty common for special moves to have 2 hitboxes, one that only affects ground targets and one that only affects aerial targets. Wario's Bite for example has a bigger hitbox vs aerial targets i think.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
No I'm saying, isn't it pretty common for special moves to have 2 hitboxes, one that only affects ground targets and one that only affects aerial targets. Wario's Bite for example has a bigger hitbox vs aerial targets i think.
Yea that's right. I remembering reading somewhere that Wolf's utilt and Zelda's dair do that too. I'm sure there are plenty of others. Grounded and airborne opponents are vulnerable to different sets of hitboxes, but a shielding opponent is considered both grounded and airborne. It's weird.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Can somebody explain how cancelling works? Is it just random moves that can be cancelled, all of them, or a glitch on a select few that just happens to work?

:phone:

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Does each hit of a multi-hit move refresh the stale move queue or is it only for each move?

Edit: 300th post :)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does each hit of a multi-hit move refresh the stale move queue or is it only for each move?

Edit: 300th post :)
I believe it's rapid-A attacks only count as one hit, moves with multiple hits only count as one hit, and non-rapid-A jabs (like Mario's or Wario's) count once for every hit.

Calvonta "Calvo" parker

Smash Apprentice
What makes a person go in Brawl?

Ive seen the Japanese play in APEX, and they played like bauses. I've recently been asking myself "What is the mechanics of making you want to fight so hard".

Can someone please help?

Top Bottom