• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It will not refresh his move if he whiffs.

The "windbox" is actually just a "no damage, no flinch hitbox", so it is treated in the stale queue as a hitbox.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
That's
what she said
basically why you want to abuse its range to refresh your whole moveset everytime you get your opponent in the air.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Question from me.

Does anyone know the control input difference between a platform cancel--> instant dropthrough and a
platform cancel--> spotdodge?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Inputting down and shield on the same frame does pc>spotdodge and inputting shield 1-2 frames after down does pc>platform drop.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman

Luigisama

Smash Champion
the shield in the brawl from my understanding according to a smash64 thread the shield has HP.

how could I tell the shield damage for a move? would it be shield stun? I'm looking into researching in luigi's up b and shield poking.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Full shield = 177 frames
1% damage = -2.5 frames shield health

or

Full shield = 70.8%
Loses 0.4% per frame

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Don't forget that some attacks (Jiggs' side B, DK's side B, Marth's B....) have a shield damage bonus.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I didn't know that, thanks.

I've got a few questions though :

Is it the same for every character?

And how many time does a shield need to be full again when it's like really small?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
There was a very complete post about that on michael Hey's blog on aib, but it got deleted :I

What you should know is when you drop your shield there is a delay before it starts regenerating.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
How useful is crouch canceling in brawl?

Will fast falling ever make you die sooner?

Sorry if these questions have been answered I looked through all the posts in this thread and didn't find it.

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How useful is crouch canceling in brawl?

Will fast falling ever make you die sooner?

Sorry if these questions have been answered I looked through all the posts in this thread and didn't find it.

As far as I know, it only reduces the hitlag of both the attacker and the character being attacked incur 33% less hitlag, which sounds useless to me outside of throwing off strict timings. People think it's helpful, but the "helpful" part is just being closer to the ground after a hit (due to DI'ing down), allowing the opponent to shield earlier after their getting hit by, say, a Jab.

Fastfalling "lowers" the angle you're sent, which can definitely be a bad thing. Say you're sent out at a 30-degree angle...Fastfalling might make it closer to 0 degrees, which is worse for living.

Basically, it's usually a bad thing if you're already in danger of dying to one of the side blast zones.

Tesh

Smash Hero
It also reduces the stun from ZSS too right? Because its some kind of hitlag?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It also reduces the stun from ZSS too right? Because its some kind of hitlag?
Hey, I guess that makes sense, yeah. I didn't think about that.

That's cool--You reduce the time Zamus has to follow up on her D-Smash.

I can't confirm that fact, but, it makes sense to me.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for answering :) from what I tested so far, crouch canceling is basically non existent in brawl.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Thank you for answering :) from what I tested so far, crouch canceling is basically non existent in brawl.

I remember awhile back, Fino discovered that Olimar could crouch-cancel Falco's first jab to powershield the second and follow up with usmash. I've never tried it myself though.

I was also playing around with crouch canceling when that Metagame Minute video about it first came out, and found out that Jigglypuff can crouch cancel Falco's first jab and rest before his second jab came out. Yay Puff.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's not crouch-canceling the Jab. It's putting yourself lower to the ground so that you can shield earlier instead of having to fall to the ground.

Blad01

Smash Lord
So, general question : I have been away from the game since summer 2009 (Super Lion 4 was my last tournament). What has changed since then ? :D

MK still overused ? Ally still the best Snake ? etc.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So, general question : I have been away from the game since summer 2009 (Super Lion 4 was my last tournament). What has changed since then ? :D

MK still overused ? Ally still the best Snake ? etc.
Well, Meta Knight is the best character, so, it's hard to say what counts as "overused," I guess. Some areas have opted to ban the character outright.

Ally plays a bunch of different characters. We have a slew of new top players around.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Yes, crouch cancelling reduces the stun (hitlag) for ZSS' dsmash (not sure about lasers, cause I'm fairly certain they have fixed stun)
It's not hitstun, it is hitlag, though ZSS doesn't suffer from hitlag when she lands dsmash regardless (it's a projectile) so you DO pop out quicker, whereas with other crouch-cancelled moves both the attacker and the target receive less hitlag than non-crouch-cancelled moves but they will always receive the same amount of hitlag.

I know this because it has happened to me and it threw off my timing, but I knew what happened because I've seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GuV42hx1hA

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
So I was ****ing around in training mode and I discovered that if you land with an airdodge, and then exactly when you land you do the following

Hold forward/diagonally down + forward on analog stick, and while doing this you press up on the C-stick

Then you'll dash ASAP assuming you timed it right. If you press up on the C-stick too late you usmash, if you press it too early...I forget, I think you just crawl forward (or crouch if you can't crawl) if you're holding down+forward, and then walk if you're only holding forward.

(This also happens to be the exact same input to do a platform cancel --> immediate dash, though you have to be holding down+forward)

Why does this happen? What happens to the A input from the C-stick? I remember reading somewhere that if you've airdodged, you receive a landing lag of 2 frames assuming you don't have RCO/do some laggy aerial upon landing. Is it that doing these inputs during these 2 frames causes you to buffer a dash forwards?

Also, is it possible to grab while holding an item (regular grab, not a command grab lol)? If you're holding A, and you run and press shield, you do a dash grab, but I tried doing it while holding an item and I did a running shield instead.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Here's probably what's going on:
When you hit forward/diagonally down you end up inputting a forward input with a slight down input. Normally this would just make you crawl/walk (depending on direction). When when you hit c-stick up during the landing frames, you're basically inputting up on the controller because the c-stick will override the direction held. Because you're landing the attack part never gets "activated" to say. So then after that one frame you go back to holding forward. What this looks like to the game is: "Forward/Down - Up - Forward" which is the input to buffer a dash (because you need to interrupt the first forward input because that will just make you walk)

To my knowledge, there is no way to grab while holding an item.

Paroxium

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to buffer tilts? Ive found a way to buffer u-tilts (reg U- tilt or using both the analog stick and c-stick) D-tilt makes you crouch, because I believe pressing down after an input cancels the buffer, although im sometimes able to do if I do the same tactic of a buffered dash, except replacing forward on analog stick to down on the analog stick, but it's pretty inconsistent. And f-tilt I've had no luck with, b/c like a normal command, right on the analog stick and right on the c-stick just f-smashes. Is there a different way?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Pressing the stick forward or back, releasing it and then pressing A after it's back to neutral and then releasing it again, all in the 10 frame buffer window should do an Ftilt. A good way to test it is to play MK and if you do it correctly, he will do the first 2 almost simultaneously.

Top Bottom