• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Thanks Pharrox! I want to put Sly cooper in the game so badly, but i don't have a 3d model of him. if i ever get that, i'll probably put him in as marth. they are close in size, and i could make marth's sword sly's cane :D how's the converter coming? when can we expect to see it?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Well development has stalled until someone can help me figuring out what's causing the linker errors I posted on the last page. I talked to several professors and lab techs at my school today and none of them could figure it out (not that this is really something they'd be too familiar with).

Anyone have William's contact details?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
I don't know where to even start to find William. Would it maybe help to look at Sabretooth's converter? There's the source code that you have to compile (although you probably know all this.) maybe it'd be easier to contact Sabretooth, cuz iv'e seen him on a forum before

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I have Sabretooth's converter and I've talked to him a couple times, but my problem is with implementing collada dom. Since William also used Collada with dom he would be the one to ask. Unfortunately Dark Matter is gone so I have no idea where to find him. I also asked for help on the collada site, but they can take quite a while to reply.

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
collada dom? so if you used another format.. then we can forget the collada headache

personally I like SMD, its a text based format like OBJ and supports skin weights and bones.

anyway I swear I had Williams yahoo... if I see him online, I'll let him know.

btw I was the admin over at darkamtter

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if you were the same mariokart64 from Dark Matter. :) Do you know whether or not SMD supports texture animations (at frame x switch to texture y)? Currently I already have the exporter and 30% of the importer written in Collada so it's a bit late to change unless there is something that Collada can't do.

Thanks for your help with finding William too, I'm really starting to get annoyed with these error. :(

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Already tried it, in fact the log on the last page was from a simple test program. I get the same errors as when I try to compile the main project. I actually just got it to work using another build of the library, however that one requires a .dll to run (one that I don't have) and the executable comes out way too big (7+ megs).

Currently I'm switching everything over to Visual C (which has been nothing but a pain in the past) to see if I can compile it there using the VC libs.

EDIT: Got it working in Visual C++, now all that's left is debugging. Expect the release Thursday at the latest... :)

...cause I have such a great history of keeping my deadlines...

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
^_^ OMG YES

I have to plan out what characters I want to replace.

hm..
maybe I'll import that girl from onnechanbara over marth

maybe marcus fenix over ganon....

maybe master cheif over samus

oh **** I can't wait.

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
Already tried it, in fact the log on the last page was from a simple test program. I get the same errors as when I try to compile the main project. I actually just got it to work using another build of the library, however that one requires a .dll to run (one that I don't have) and the executable comes out way too big (7+ megs).

Currently I'm switching everything over to Visual C (which has been nothing but a pain in the past) to see if I can compile it there using the VC libs.

EDIT: Got it working in Visual C++, now all that's left is debugging. Expect the release Thursday at the latest... :)

Congrats! VC++ is a good language, I've dabbled in it every now and again. It's fun to use the OpenGL stuff to see what type of crazy programs you can make. Which version are you using? Express or the normal version?(Express is free:))

Anyways, good to hear that there'll be a release soon. Do you think the conversion will go over well with Autodesk? Or is that part of what you're debugging right now?

Lol, I just saw that. Don't worry about it. I know how it feels to think you've completed something and you find a massive bug while debugging that delays it for even longer. Just take things slow and we can
(hopefully:laugh:) be patient.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
I don't follow does this mean that the models will not be in collada/.dae format???, you said there will be a gui correct, whenyou release there will be directions and stuff, I'm still having trouble displaying the model, HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPP!!!!!

srry I just cant seem, to get the extractor to work, but since you switched to C++ does that mean it won't be in .dae format cuz I just can't get 3ds max to import the models correctly, I really would appreciate if anybody could help me out

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
OMG! I can't wait to see the importer released! Did you release a newer version of the exporter yet? cuz when i export models, they come out broken with one exception: Mewtwo's trophy. I'm using 3ds max 2009 to import them. any help would be appreciated ;D

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
are morph targets going to be importable? example, marth has some face morphs for different facial expressions. will we be able to import our own based off a new model we import.

edit:
sorry I was talking about getting morphs into brawl.. not into 3dsmax

edit2

I went through my models and found some stuff that may be cool to get into brawl.
and of course I was thinking of getting each character's extra costume slot with models from previous games. so like example for mario in brawl, repleace one of his cosutmes with the melee model. then the next slot the n64 smash bros one.. etc

Code:
Marth			Roy			Melee
Lucario			Mewtwo		Melee
Ike				Travis		NoMoreHeroes
Ct. Falcon		EVA01		Evangelion
ZeroSamus		Trish		Devil may Cry 4
Samus			Master Chief	Halo
Zelda			Kairi		KingdomHearts2
PK Trainer		Zack,Ayane,Kasumi,Tina	Dead or Alive
Marth			Ayumi		X-Blades
Marth			Aya			Onechanbara
Sheik			Venessa		PN03
Zelda			Jill			Resident Evil 1
Peach			Ashley		Resident Evil 4
Snake			Heather		SilentHill3
Sonic			Knuckles	Sonic the HedgeHog
Ike				Sethoroth	FF7 CoreCrisis
Marth			Cloud		KingdomHearts2
Lucario			Goku		Dragonall Z
CT. Falcon		Ironman	Ironman
Mario			Megaman	Megaman Legends

Edit3:
found info on booting wii games off of SD card. :) means we can mod the game without wasting a DVD9 each time

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
are morph targets going to be importable? example, marth has some face morphs for different facial expressions. will we be able to import our own based off a new model we import.

edit:
sorry I was talking about getting morphs into brawl.. not into 3dsmax

edit2

I went through my models and found some stuff that may be cool to get into brawl.
and of course I was thinking of getting each character's extra costume slot with models from previous games. so like example for mario in brawl, repleace one of his cosutmes with the melee model. then the next slot the n64 smash bros one.. etc

Code:
Marth			Roy			Melee
Lucario			Mewtwo		Melee
Ike				Travis		NoMoreHeroes
Ct. Falcon		EVA01		Evangelion
ZeroSamus		Trish		Devil may Cry 4
Samus			Master Chief	Halo
Zelda			Kairi		KingdomHearts2
PK Trainer		Zack,Ayane,Kasumi,Tina	Dead or Alive
Marth			Ayumi		X-Blades
Marth			Aya			Onechanbara
Sheik			Venessa		PN03
Zelda			Jill			Resident Evil 1
Peach			Ashley		Resident Evil 4
Snake			Heather		SilentHill3
Sonic			Knuckles	Sonic the HedgeHog
Ike				Sethoroth	FF7 CoreCrisis
Marth			Cloud		KingdomHearts2
Lucario			Goku		Dragonall Z
CT. Falcon		Ironman	Ironman
Mario			Megaman	Megaman Legends

Edit3:
found info on booting wii games off of SD card. :) means we can mod the game without wasting a DVD9 each time
Yeh ive already done mewtwo... just needs to be skinned with lucarios bones better, how did you extract the melee models :O and a bit late there with the sd loader stuff :p

EDIT: some of those char you want to replace are just ******** and owuldnt ever work if you wanted it to be realistic, srsly ayane as a turtle?

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
wait is there a tool already that lets you compile bress files?

and what did you mean by too late on the sd loader stuff? is there some problem? I haven't actual tried to boot brawl off it yet

>models came from melee

>besides the pokemon one there, I think the rest is possible. I'm no dummy to skin weighting to game skeletons

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
wait, do you know if the new importerand exporter are still gonn use collada format?? cuz that would suck, also @ mariokart 64, yeah ur ********, Ike is clearly better for cloud and marth is clearly better for sephiroth, You guys wanna start a model editing team, that wouldbe cool lo, but seriously could somebody answer my question,

I fixed my collada plugin, but now when I import the file I just get a unch of random dots that vaguely make out marth's outline, any idea wat the deal is?

bobson

Smash Lord
So... wait a second.

Am I correct in understanding that you are about to release an app which will enable the importing of outside models into Brawl? Models which could feasibly be used to replace existing character and hitbox models? Which could, in turn, be used in conjunction with moveset and individual physics modifiers to create entirely new (or old) characters? And because the model files are contained along with each alternate color and you can now load files directly from the SD card as you play, you won't even have to sacrifice an existing character to do this?

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? This is nuts. The modding community Brawl has developed is insane beyond any degree I've ever seen. I am not an easily impressed person, so don't take it lightly when I say that you guys are ****ing amazing. It occurs to me that we are on the brink of realizing the dreams of all those "OMG can u put sora in ssbb?? i made a move set 4 him here" randoms, and I am rendered speechless at how far this has been taken. This is nuts.

All of you should fly down here so I could buy you all a drink. Jesus Christ.

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
k thanks for uploading marth for me, butIt would be good If I was able to do it my self, however, I have many ideas for marth so this is good, as this progresses could you upload a few more models for me, just a few,

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
yeah I have her model, but she... like a miget. so I'm not sure how I would go about placing that over another skeleton.

... hm luigi is sorta short

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
wait, can we or can we not replace the brawl model with outside ones??

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Umm...well...okay. So I rewrote the program using Collada DOM, and have it compiled and running. However after some testing it looks like there's not going to be a big compatibility fix like I originally predicted. The models still crash Photoshop and probably will crash other programs that don't focus specifically on 3d modeling.

I now believe that the problems with compatibility are on Brawl's end and not the programs. Most of Brawl's models have several kinds of polygons in a single mesh, including triangles, tristrips, trifans, and quads. Most models usually only have one type per mesh (triangles) and I now believe the compatibility problems are caused by programs that can't read multiple polygon types for a single mesh. I may offer the option to convert everything to tris eventually, but for now it shall remain as is since it seems to work with most major modeling programs.

I will release the updated version tonight, most noticable changes will be small such as automatic uv flipping and possibly a fix for some strange normal behavior. Next update will add texture extracting support and after that the model importer becomes the main focus...

...so yeah, that's where things stand right now.

Smash Ace
I'm 100% sure DAE is going to be the only format for now.

also here's marth imported into max.
http://files.filefront.com/13644510

browsing through these few pages, it seems its all you've been trying to do O_o

@vile, I have the melee mewtwo if you want it.
No ive gotten the trophy model and have already made it... no offence but that mewtwo isnt proportions right and is a little ulgy.....

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
i didn't know how along your model was. I just assumed your model would have been a bit hacked up being a trophy and all. I know the melee rips I have are symmetrical, and usually more ideal for rigging.

ohwell, very sorry

Starscream

Smash Ace
Have you guys considered trying this stuff using models from the Metroid Prime games? Samus' character model looks much better in Corruption than in Brawl and we could also have the PED suit and Hazard Shield. Or from Echoes, the Dark Suit and Light Suit. The Phazon and Gravity suits even look great in Prime 1. We could also have all the various forms of Dark Samus from Echoes to Corruption. There are already some trophies using some of these character models in Brawl which I'm guessing would make things easier, right?

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
i think I have the PED suit.. but personally it doesn't look any better

medrop has the normal one too, I could probably get it

I've also tposed the fusion trophy

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
i didn't know how along your model was. I just assumed your model would have been a bit hacked up being a trophy and all. I know the melee rips I have are symmetrical, and usually more ideal for rigging.

ohwell, very sorry
I personally think that his melee model looks better than that crappy excuse of a trophy they put into brawl anyway.
But I'll be happy as long as I can play as Mewtwo again either way.

Smash Ace
I personally think that his melee model looks better than that crappy excuse of a trophy they put into brawl anyway.
But I'll be happy as long as I can play as Mewtwo again either way.
The trophy one is actually pretty low poly, alot of detail can be added to it.

i think I have the PED suit.. but personally it doesn't look any better

medrop has the normal one too, I could probably get it

I've also tposed the fusion trophy
That fusion trophy is HAWT, upload it please so i can rig it.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Eh, well it isn't much, but here's the small update. Output was completely rewritten with collada dom which means it's probably slightly more efficient. Reduces the size a little too (but now it needs a huge .dll). Really the only noticable difference is the fact that it will flip the uvs for you.

[snip - removed for being a piece of crap]

I can probably have a release with texture support tomorrow. About half the texture formats are working and I thought about including support for those here but in the end decided to just wait until it's all done.

Well, 6:00 in the morning here, time to sleep.

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to be a annoying, but did you see my request a few pages back? there was 2 brres files that didn't work. I was wondering if it be easy or not to expand compatibility over to them.

the converter spits this out in the log;
ERROR: Unknown identifier in poly group (1)

is it possible to get compatibility for these 2 brres files
http://www.mediafire.com/?nytmmnyeyyi
if it looks to difficult then don't worry about it. you need all the focus you get for the DAE>brres compiler

pghazanfari53

Smash Rookie
When I used the converter with Captain Falcon, his Geometry was all messed up. When I used it with Marth, I got a parse error in Max when trying to import.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to be a annoying, but did you see my request a few pages back? there was 2 brres files that didn't work. I was wondering if it be easy or not to expand compatibility over to them.

the converter spits this out in the log;
ERROR: Unknown identifier in poly group (1)

if it looks to difficult then don't worry about it. you need all the focus you get for the DAE>brres compiler
Must have somehow missed that when you posted it, sorry. I'll take a look at it. Where are these files from anyway?

EDIT: That is so weird! Well after looking at the files for a few minutes it seems like the fix should be pretty quick and easy. Will hopefully have it fixed in tonights release. It looks like the pointers in the files are all pushed back by two which makes it read the wrong data.

wait so when we download it. where are we suppose to save it to?
You can save it anywhere, you just drag and drop the files (or you could assign it to handle them if you want). The new version needs the .dll in the same directory as the program or in your computer's system folder.

When I used the converter with Captain Falcon, his Geometry was all messed up. When I used it with Marth, I got a parse error in Max when trying to import.
First, are you using the original version or the new one? Second, are you sure you're loading it with Collada and not fbx? And third, could you post a log from Max from when it can't parse the file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom