• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DracoKun

Smash Cadet
hey did you get my PM pharrox? I was curious to know if there is a way so I don't have to use TCSEdit.exe cause I can't even find it anywhere and it seemed you knew of a way to do it without..? Sorry, for bugging ya so much.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Dude, you should do Pikachu with sunglasses and a leather coat!!!

Also, if you went onto wifi would it still work, and would the person/people you're fighting see you as that?

Imagine the possibilities...Kirby as a Waddle Dee...

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Dr Mario as a mario alt would be badass. Dude this is just off the hook!
Dude, you should do Pikachu with sunglasses and a leather coat!!!

Also, if you went onto wifi would it still work, and would the person/people you're fighting see you as that?

Imagine the possibilities...Kirby as a Waddle Dee...
These basically all fall under model edits and therefore aren't possible. Waddle Dee Kirby could work.

I haven't tried wifi but it should still work. Since everyone's systems use their own files, they would only see regular Pikachu though. Same thing with replays.

hey did you get my PM pharrox? I was curious to know if there is a way so I don't have to use TCSEdit.exe cause I can't even find it anywhere and it seemed you knew of a way to do it without..? Sorry, for bugging ya so much.
Check your PMs. Hope that works. ;)

KRDsonic

Smash Master
wow, that pikachu looks crazy. If I could do that kind of stuff I certainly would, being able to have your own custom color of your main o.o It would be too good to pass up, wish I knew more about technology and stuff though.

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
ok i feel slow..
but whats wii modding and whats the twilight hack?
help would greatly appreciated :]

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
DracoKun sent me the textures for lucario. I made a red/black version. I'm gonna mess with more as he sends them over, then when i have a few, I'll try to find someone who's able to test them out. ^^;

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
ok i feel slow..
but whats wii modding and whats the twilight hack?
help would greatly appreciated :]
Twilight Hack is the most safe way of reliably inserting modifications to your wii hardware, such as importing emulators and roms. That's the most popular utility, in the form of uploading the Homebrew Channel. It requires an SD card and an SD card port in your laptop/PC. Plain and simple... http://hbc.hackmii.com/about/ is the home site. Go there if you wanna read about Homebrew Channel and the Twilight Hack.

l0n3r

Smash Cadet
Well, Toon Link was Kinda WW Link, here's the difference...

Toon Link:

WW Link:

WW Link is MUCH more cartoon- y

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
That's because he looks like he's in a cartoon world, and this is more realistic, they just made Toon Link more... realistic to the game. He looks enough of his WW self that it shouldn't matter, yes?

l0n3r

Smash Cadet
.... Yeah, but I would've (and so would have many WW fans/ Toon Link users) preferred to have a cartoony WW Link and you're not even close to answering my question, I am doing this tomorrow and showing off my sweet WW Link! OOh, maybe WW Link! Not toon link, but the adult Link toon style cool

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
That's not gonna be possible. What you're referring to cel-shading, which deals with how the game handles light sources and stuff. Textures are the colors applied to the 3d model before lighting/shading/effects.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Wolf Pup TK is right, the cel shaded effect doesn't really have anything to do with the textures, so it wouldn't be possible.

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
Twilight Hack is the most safe way of reliably inserting modifications to your wii hardware, such as importing emulators and roms. That's the most popular utility, in the form of uploading the Homebrew Channel. It requires an SD card and an SD card port in your laptop/PC. Plain and simple... http://hbc.hackmii.com/about/ is the home site. Go there if you wanna read about Homebrew Channel and the Twilight Hack.
thank you for helping me im gonna click on the site and read up on it.
:D

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
How's it going guys? Can someone post the picture of the new colored Lucario?

And if your doing color changes, just change Peach's hair pink and her dress black. That be awesome!!

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
How's it going guys? Can someone post the picture of the new colored Lucario?

And if your doing color changes, just change Peach's hair pink and her dress black. That be awesome!!
I don't have a modded wii, so I can't test the edit I made. When pharrox gets his stuff back up and running, I think I can send him my edit (along with others I'll probably have by then) and he can test it. I like that idea for Peach. Reminds me of Cassandra's outfit from SCIII.

l0n3r

Smash Cadet
Meh, Instead of cel-shading, I'll just color him 2 colors for every color... I guess it'll look ok. I mean yeah, look at WW link, his green tunic is just 2 green colors, same with hair etc. Maybe, I'll post pics if it works. Oh, on a side note, you said that using the Gecko thing in the homebrew channel will let me run the Burned Brawl disk?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Meh, Instead of cel-shading, I'll just color him 2 colors for every color... I guess it'll look ok. I mean yeah, look at WW link, his green tunic is just 2 green colors, same with hair etc. Maybe, I'll post pics if it works. Oh, on a side note, you said that using the Gecko thing in the homebrew channel will let me run the Burned Brawl disk?

No, you will always need a modchip to get this to work.

Since this question has been asked several times, as well as a question as to what these various terms mean, I feel I should clarify. So lsiten up class Wii Hacking 101 is now in session! The Wii's dvd drive checks a disk to see what kind of media it is. If it's a standard Wii disk it will let it pass, if it's something else like a dvd-r it will block it and not let it load. A modchip bypasses this check and just tells the Wii that it's good and to boot anything. A modchip is the only way around this.

Whenever Nintendo releases a game they sign it with their own private key that only they have. Any changes to the disk will make the key not match up right and the disk won't load, even with a modchip. However, a bug was found in the Wii's security that allowed disks to be signed with another key after being edited and still work. This is called the Trucha bug, named after the program that was able to sign the modified disks. Even with this new signature the Wii can detect what kind of media it is and won't load any burnt games without the chip.

I'm not quite sure if it's relavant, but the Twilight hack works by using a modified Twilight Princess save file which was hacked to give Epona a really long name. When you talk to the guy who says the horses name, the game can't handle the it and it causes an overflow which then lets you execute any Wii executable. After running the Twilight Hack it is possible to install a program called the Homebrew Channel which exploits the same bug but without the need for the hacked save file or loading into twilight princess.

When firmware version 3.3 was released, it's sole purpose was to try and fix these bugs. It scanned Twilight Pricess files for an abnormally long name, and if it found it it would be deleted. That was all it did. Therefore, if the homebrew channel was installed you could still run the same hack because it didn't need the save file. Within a day of it's release, the people who made the Twilight Hack found a couple bugs in the new firmware and wrote a new version that would work with it.

Now I'm not quite sure about this part, but I believe they tried to fix the Trucha bug by adding a new check on the disk channel to not accept trucha signed disks. However, it was discovered that a program that had been released prior to 3.3, called Gecko Region Free could still load the trucha disks. I believe this is because the region checking and the checking for trucha signitures is handled by the Wii firmware, not the DVD drive's. GRF just boots the disk without going through these checks, allowing for other region games and, coincidently, trucha disks to still be played. If you haven't updated, both these bugs remain unchecked and you can use them without any special tools.

Even with GRF however, the disk type check is handled by the dvd drive's firmware and therefore cannot be altered by code running on the Wii (i.e. the twilight Hack). It can only be altered by attaching a chip to the drive which will rewrite the firmware for you.

I'm sure I've got one or two of the small details wrong as to how exactly these things work, but that's the general idea of how it works and why things need to be done the way they do.

Well that ended up longer than I thought.

DracoKun

Smash Cadet
So, your saying regardless of wether we have the Twilight Hack, Homebrew Channel or Gecko Region Free. If we do not have a mod chip we CANNOT do this? Well, there goes all my time spent on trying to learn how to do this lol.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Can you post a picture of the modded wii and the regular wii, or maybe a link to those pictures? I just want to see what it looks like if I ever decide to mod my wii. Also, does anyone have the brawl textures of Pikachu and Jigglypuff? Or, at least files converted to another type, one that would run in an image editing program? Because I have some plans for them...

And another question: How does it work? I figure that the textures are wrapped around the model, right? Just wondering.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Can you post a picture of the modded wii and the regular wii, or maybe a link to those pictures? I just want to see what it looks like if I ever decide to mod my wii. Also, does anyone have the brawl textures of Pikachu and Jigglypuff? Or, at least files converted to another type, one that would run in an image editing program? Because I have some plans for them...

And another question: How does it work? I figure that the textures are wrapped around the model, right? Just wondering.
A modded Wii (using a clip that doesn't require soldering):

An unmodded Wii:

You can order everything presoldered at modchipcentral.com. Average price is $50-$60 assuming you want to buy the clip which will attach to the Wii with no soldering, have them solder the chip to the clip for you, and include a triwing screwdriver (needed for opening the Wii). Not bad considering I paid $50 for just the chip itself with no extras.

As for actually opening the Wii to install the chip, just follow one of the many guides online and it's pretty risk free. Assuming you use the clip there isn't really anything to be damaged by the process.

If anyone is thinking of ordering a modchip, I suggest you let me know your Wii's serial number and the approximate time you bought it. With that i should be able to suggest what kind of chip is compatible with your Wii.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Awesome! Can this be a feature used online? And please make Ike look like Roy PLEASE! I would die a happy man if there were ever a Roy COLOR change!

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Awesome! Can this be a feature used online? And please make Ike look like Roy PLEASE! I would die a happy man if there were ever a Roy COLOR change!
It will for you you online. You're replacing the data on your Wii only.

I'll Roy a try. A color change will be the closest I can get since you can't change the physical character. But just FYI, Roy will be HARD to do. There are many many textures on Ike, and just figuring out what is what will take a while.

Things I will attempt (no guarantees) are:
red/black lucario (done. pharrox will check if he can get it running when he has the time)
peach (black clothes, pink hair)
Girly marth (as if he wasn't girly enough as is)
Mr. L
Roy

That's enough for now though, lol. Peach will be easy, girly marth might be easy too. The others are tough stuff.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh god, naked Zamus is actually possible >.<

Heh, but regardless, this does sound interesting. I might have a bash at this later, see if I can get it working. Just curious btw, with this, how does it affect alt costumes and the costume select screen? I'm assuming that the Grey pikachu is just the normal colour, but the other costumes are untouched? And they appear unchanged on the char select screen?

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
You can replace the colors of any costume, so it depends how you add it in. And the character portrait would look normal, unless we edit those as well. It would definitely be useful to tell which is which while you're picking your costume, but at the moment, I think its taking a backseat to the rest of what needs to get done.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Okay, got the list of charactters, and in the flders are the pac files. Do I need to extract them all, or just 1? And after I do all that, what do I use to open the TPL files?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
YAY, STICKY! I feel all speciallike.

Okay, so i am going to be extremely busy for the rest of the week. I need to find a job, and if I do this week my parents will pay for a gaming laptop. :) So that will take up most of my time. I should hopefully still finish the Lucario files tomorrow, and I may be able to repost the guide Thursday or Friday, but it depends on how things go.

PURE NEKID SAMUS?
yes plz

EDIT: This is also amazing. Awesome find.
You perveted freak! I love it! ;)

Oh god, naked Zamus is actually possible >.<

Heh, but regardless, this does sound interesting. I might have a bash at this later, see if I can get it working. Just curious btw, with this, how does it affect alt costumes and the costume select screen? I'm assuming that the Grey pikachu is just the normal colour, but the other costumes are untouched? And they appear unchanged on the char select screen?
Wolf Pup basically covered everything here. The new colors just replace old ones. However I believe that using the USB Gecko it could be possible to add completely new ones. Changing a character's texture won't change the select screen, but that just uses textures that are in the same format and could be changed with the same process.

Okay, got the list of charactters, and in the flders are the pac files. Do I need to extract them all, or just 1? And after I do all that, what do I use to open the TPL files?
You only need the .pac for the character you want to change. Go here and download SSBExtract and TPLx. Drag and drop the .pac onto SSBExtract to extract it, then do the same with the 0001.brres file it creates. After that use TPLx to extract the textures and edit them however.

How do I get Revolution SDK to work(Dumb question most likely)
Just search the folders of the SDK for the specific files I mentioned, TexConv.exe and ntcompress.exe. Those are the only things you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom