• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Um...how do I get the .pac? Also, I would like to know about Melee textures as well, as in extracting them and such. If possible, could you get me the files and stuff used for extracting the original files from the games, or at least tell me how to do so. Sorry for being buggy, but this is all interesting, so...

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
I think I downloaded the wrong Revolution SDK (Mine has no .exe files at all). Can you post a download link?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Um...how do I get the .pac? Also, I would like to know about Melee textures as well, as in extracting them and such. If possible, could you get me the files and stuff used for extracting the original files from the games, or at least tell me how to do so. Sorry for being buggy, but this is all interesting, so...
The get the .pac you will either need a program called Trucha Signer or WiiScrubber 1.21. Both will be able to dump the files from an SSBB .iso. Both will also need something called the common key (or just key.bin), which I can't link to. There is a tutorial at GBAtemp for setting up Trucha Signer After you have the .pac file, you use SSBExtract and TPLx to decompress it. I linked to those in my last post. What files do you need?

As for Melee, I really don't know. I haven't tried it, and I don't even have the .iso. I assume it would be somewhat similar, but I haven't even looked at its file structure, so i can't really comment.

I think I downloaded the wrong Revolution SDK (Mine has no .exe files at all). Can you post a download link?
Well, assuming you have the right SDK, both of them will be in the \RVL_SDK\X86\bin\ folder. If it is something else, I'm sorry but I can't give a link to where to get it, due to the content and all. It should be pretty easy to find on google or any torrent website.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Wow this is great. I'm in to this kind of stuff. I love doin it. I was looking around for the way to hack Brawl. Brawl Centeral did it with thier moveset swap, so I knew we could do something. Thankx for firguring this out. I think I may be able to help you.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
This is actually really cool. Packs of burnable custom character designs could be put together and put up for download somehwere, that would be sweet.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Maybe a small favour to ask, but could anyone check if the game would load faster with everything unpacked? Even the stages? The stages will be a ***** to extract, though, since the LZ77 decompresser doesn't work on Vista at the moment, and I have no ****ing clue on how to fix it.

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Well, assuming you have the right SDK, both of them will be in the \RVL_SDK\X86\bin\ folder. If it is something else, I'm sorry but I can't give a link to where to get it, due to the content and all. It should be pretty easy to find on google or any torrent website.
Found them, thanks(To... many... folders...)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You only need the .pac for the character you want to change. Go here and download SSBExtract and TPLx. Drag and drop the .pac onto SSBExtract to extract it, then do the same with the 0001.bres file it creates.
My problem is after dropping the .pac onto SSBExtract, the files that come out are 000.dat and 001.pac

If I drag the 001.pac file I get a bunch of files.

000.efls
001.bin
002.reft

and then 003.bres to 011.bres

EDIT: Tried it now with a different character, just in case and had the same thing occur.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Maybe a small favour to ask, but could anyone check if the game would load faster with everything unpacked? Even the stages? The stages will be a ***** to extract, though, since the LZ77 decompresser doesn't work on Vista at the moment, and I have no ****ing clue on how to fix it.
I don't think it would load any faster, or load at all for that that matter. As you know, the .pcs files are just compressed .pac files. If they're replaced with renamed .pac files the game will get confused and crash.

In an early attempt at this hack, I used the information you posted to try to compress it without actually compressing it. I just inserted a blank marker byte every eight bytes. It seemed to work in theory, and when I tried to use the lz77 extractor to test it, it was fine. But when I tried putting it into the game that way, if the file was selected it would load for about 10 seconds or so and then freeze.

I don't really know if that helps or not.

My problem is after dropping the .pac onto SSBExtract, the files that come out are 000.dat and 001.pac

If I drag the 001.pac file I get a bunch of files.

000.efls
001.bin
002.reft

and then 003.bres to 011.bres

EDIT: Tried it now with a different character, just in case and had the same thing occur.
Which exact file are you using?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Those aren't the actual character files. The character files are in the FitPikachu00.pac, FitSonic02.pac, etc files. Each number is a different alt color, 00 is always the main color. The Files without numbers after them have things that are used by all the colors, such as Pikachu's thunder or thunderjolt textures.

For example:

FitPikachu: shared files
FitPikachu00: standard color
FitPikachu02: red trainers hat
FitPikachu03: blue goggles
FitPikachu04: green headband

There is no 01 file for Pikachu. It seems one of his costumes was cut before the game's release.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I do think they could have done everything better and faster if they didn't LZ77 compress most things. Most things were just duplicates anyway.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
My good computer is working again! FINALLY!!!

I still say I should have the new Lucario tonight. That mostly depends on how long it takes Visual Studio to install though. This also means I can start working on the guide again.

What do I do with the .bin now?
:confused: There shouldn't be any .bin files. Are you using a FitCharacter##.pac file?

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
My good computer is working again! FINALLY!!!

I still say I should have the new Lucario tonight. That mostly depends on how long it takes Visual Studio to install though. This also means I can start working on the guide again.

:confused: There shouldn't be any .bin files. Are you using a FitCharacter##.pac file?
Yes but when I compress it (Using ntcompress.exe) it comes out as a .bin

Edit: Also how do I delete the data off the .ISO?(I think I figured out what to do with the .bin but I still wanna know if I did the right thing)

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I don't even remember what I needed now. One more quick question: How do I get the .iso's? For either Brawl or melee. And when I edit the texture, do I need to convert the file to something else or what? Well, that was two questions, but then again I haven't done this before, and I won't even be able to try it out.

One more thing before I leave you alone: Could we make a new texture for Pika and save it as FitPikachu01, and if we did would the game even read it?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Birthday Suit Samus NAOO!

Once you guys get this up and running smootly Ill join in...

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
I don't even remember what I needed now. One more quick question: How do I get the .iso's? For either Brawl or melee. And when I edit the texture, do I need to convert the file to something else or what? Well, that was two questions, but then again I haven't done this before, and I won't even be able to try it out.

One more thing before I leave you alone: Could we make a new texture for Pika and save it as FitPikachu01, and if we did would the game even read it?
Technically telling you where to get them is illegal. I think.

GIGA-SkullKid

Smash Apprentice
ooooh oooh a white sonic would be class and im assuming it would be easy
i doubt you could somehow make him translucent but a shadow mario would be great
and of course feirce deity link
ill shut up now:D

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Im impressed!
if this takes off, do you plan on thinking of a simple way to download textures to our games?
(Homebrew n' all?)
I actually had an idea earlier involving stage builder. If the game doesn't crash if you load a stage with foreign data on it, then it could work that way. But then it probally only work on that one stage...

edit:

Technically telling you where to get them is illegal. I think.
But I was asking how to get them. Not where.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Oh sorry. Okay so this is what I've done. I put that file you gave me in Iz77ex. I'm supposed to right?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman

I'm not really sure if I can answer that. As Sora Master said, search google for bittorrent. You could try to rip it yourself, but you probably don't have the right kind of DVD drive.

Im impressed!
if this takes off, do you plan on thinking of a simple way to download textures to our games?
(Homebrew n' all?)
Right now I don't think there's any way to do it. Still, the Wii homebrew community is growing pretty quickly, who knows what the future will bring.

Oh sorry. Okay so this is what I've done. I put that file you gave me in Iz77ex. I'm supposed to right?
I don't really need it anymore, with my computer repaired I am able to run the extractor. Thanks for offering to help though. :)

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
I can still do whatever you need, but I ran into trouble. I burned the compressed version of Brawl to a disk, but the comp doesn't read anything on the disk. Is that normal? Or did I mess up during the bunring? I'm thinking of modding my Wii after I figure out how to do this.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Your computer can't actually read Wii disks normally. Try using a program like Nero to re-rip the .iso and then opening it in trucha to make sure it's okay.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Are you working on the vid or the guide. Because I would prefer the guide first please. I would like to do this as soon as I can.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I can still do whatever you need, but I ran into trouble. I burned the compressed version of Brawl to a disk, but the comp doesn't read anything on the disk. Is that normal? Or did I mess up during the bunring? I'm thinking of modding my Wii after I figure out how to do this.
Think of it as a blind person being told how to write a letter. They've written it, but can't read it themselves.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I have a question about Pikachu. Since its different costumes feature hats rather than color changes, are the costumes themselves different models as well? Or is it still just a texture?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
For the people who have asked me to send them textures, I uploaded a pack with the most requested ones in the first post.

Are you working on the vid or the guide. Because I would prefer the guide first please. I would like to do this as soon as I can.
Right now I'm working on the guide. I'd say I'm about 75% of the way done. I should have it posted either today or tomorrow (but you know how I am with meeting deadlines).

Think of it as a blind person being told how to write a letter. They've written it, but can't read it themselves.
Good way to put it.

I have a question about Pikachu. Since its different costumes feature hats rather than color changes, are the costumes themselves different models as well? Or is it still just a texture?
Yes, both Pikachu and Jigglypuff have different models for all their costumes. Most characters you can edit one costume and replace whatever one you want. With these two you have to figure out with costume is the one you want to work on before you start.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
*subscribes* This is great what you are doing and someday I hope to geet these textures too....but for now could you post pics of the textures for Sonic, Ike, Luigi, etc.?

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
I want to see other people posting their own custom alt colors too. This looks like it could be really interesting.

Note: Please do not post your nude alts if you are going to post, save those for yourself please.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
*subscribes* This is great what you are doing and someday I hope to geet these textures too....but for now could you post pics of the textures for Sonic, Ike, Luigi, etc.?
Actually, all those textures are already in the first post.

Nice Lucario. If you have time make the shiny version!
Just to make it clear, Wolf Pup was the one who actually did th the Lucario alt. I just put it into the game. I'm terrible with Photoshop.

I want to see other people posting their own custom alt colors too. This looks like it could be really interesting.
Like I say, the Lucario texture was made by Wolf Pup, so he should get the credit for that.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Really? Didn't see them....

EDIT: I only see the Pikachu and Lucario ones....

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I re-read you post. I thought you were asking me to post the original unedited texture files. So far Pikachu and Lucario are the only ones to be completely edited. I sent Wolf Pup some texture files (and posted others in the first post) and I will begin work when/if he or anyone else sends me the edited files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom