• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghosteo

Smash Rookie
They really don't have to change polygons at all you can give snake the eyepatch with out having to change polygons, just look at the Mr. L costume.
It is somewhat possible to do Big Boss. Everything sans the mustache can be done through textures ( even wrinkles ), but I think Old Snake from MGS4 would be better.

Ghosteo, you are above even the boss. I hereby dub you Big Boss. You are a true patriot.
Haha thanks

Uhh...idk. Also I've been thinking about getting a little web space to host anything related to this project.
I've managed to get some space if you need it. For now this is it. I should be able to get you a login and all of that so you can update on your own. Also I will send you all the info on Link as soon as I can get it uploaded to the site.

To everyone else here, I'll be posting my various Brawl projects here so feel free to check it out and comment on whatever you like. I may or may not be posting everything here from now on.

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Could you upload FitSonic00.pac?(Sorry for asking twice but my question got kinda pushed back. The reason why I need it is because the model for "00" and "01 and up" are different and I overwrote the .pac while figuring it out)

JohnAnon

Smash Cadet
These hacks are awesome.

Make a Big Boss alt for Snake.

And another question about hacking. Is it possible to change around attacks properties? I mean like an attack slower or stronger or change the trajectory?

ghosteo

Smash Rookie
These hacks are awesome.

Make a Big Boss alt for Snake.
Like I said in a previous post, Big Boss can be done, but it wont look very much like him due to model restrictions, though one model editing is possible, I'm sure it can/likely will be done.

And another question about hacking. Is it possible to change around attacks properties? I mean like an attack slower or stronger or change the trajectory?

And theoretically yes it can be done. It's just a matter of finding where the values are stored and being able to interpret them as well as knowing how to put it back into the game properly. So who knows; maybe someday. I know that I personally want to be able to do this, but I lack the know-how to accomplish it on my own.

Edit: Ok so I fully unpacked Ganon's MotionEtc.pac and have found the attack and AI data, so to answer your question; yes. It is completely and 100 percent possible to modify it and on top of that, it wont be that difficult to put back into the game. The only issue is that the data is unreadable through conventional methods, so someone would need to find a way to translate the something like this into something meaningful.

ATKD...;.........H......@...A...@...Ap...N......A...B,..@@..Ap...P.......@..A...@...A....T...P.T@...B.......A....U......@...A.......A0...W......A ..A...A...A....X......A0..B...@...A....Z......A0..A...?...A`...]..........Ap..@@..B....`....."....A...@...A...

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
So with a correctly coded program, one could find these attack properties correct? Well what would be needed to find this knowledge? I know little about flash, but the code is generally the same I presume. SO maybe one such way would be possible with Flash and JavaScript knowledge?

ghosteo

Smash Rookie
So with a correctly coded program, one could find these attack properties correct? Well what would be needed to find this knowledge? I know little about flash, but the code is generally the same I presume. SO maybe one such way would be possible with Flash and JavaScript knowledge?
Exactly. I don't quite know what one would use, but a program similar to a save game editor would suffice if someone could or would make that sort of thing. I'll have to get in touch with some of my coder friends; or if you or anyone else knows anyone that could do it. This seems extremely do-able and I'll be looking into it myself for sure.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
They really don't have to change polygons at all you can give snake the eyepatch with out having to change polygons, just look at the Mr. L costume.
Even then it isn't that nessecary since that isn't an eyepatch, it's the solid eye which is this electronic thingamabob.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Okay I understand. Again my coding knowledge is bare minimal, but try sending me that code and I'll see what I can do.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Ok so I fully unpacked Ganon's MotionEtc.pac and have found the attack and AI data, so to answer your question; yes. It is completely and 100 percent possible to modify it and on top of that, it wont be that difficult to put back into the game. The only issue is that the data is unreadable through conventional methods, so someone would need to find a way to translate the something like this into something meaningful.
I could be wrong here, but from my expiraments, things such as attack strenght and knockback are handled in a character's FitCharacter.pac (no numbers) file. The motion file contains the animation for the attacks, the FitCharacter.pac has the actual attack properties.

JohnAnon

Smash Cadet
Or you could, you know, balance out Brawl.

As for the Big Boss eyepatch thing, just draw on Snake's face.

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
With all this modding and mention of changing movesets, this idea came to mind:

Will it be possible to remove tripping from the game?

ghosteo

Smash Rookie
I could be wrong here, but from my expiraments, things such as attack strenght and knockback are handled in a character's FitCharacter.pac (no numbers) file. The motion file contains the animation for the attacks, the FitCharacter.pac has the actual attack properties.
Actually in all likely-hood, you are correct. Anyways that does make more sense.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Or you could, you know, balance out Brawl.
Go away.

Balancing the game and changing textures are two completely different things. And besides, do you know how many factors have to be taken into account when balancing the game? Different characters, different stages, custom stages, whether items are on or off, and every individual item. No matter how much hacking we manage to do, Brawl is as balanced as it will ever be.

With all this modding and mention of changing movesets, this idea came to mind:

Will it be possible to remove tripping from the game?
Actually yes, I believe we've already done that before via USB Gecko.

WIGI

Smash Champion
You have no sense of humor. If you do, it's a really dry sense of humor, unlike mine. You probaly watch Fraiser every day.

Wario's attack doing slightly more damage than usual is laugh out loud funny.

ur dumb

ANYWHO

as for balancing brawl, there are a few things that could be done in order to balacne out a few characters.

We could make captain falcon have a knee again... and be a good character again.

generally, making throws stronger would amek the game better, cuz sheild grabbing is so effective, but throws suck.

We could theoretically increase hitstun (though, i don't think i want to make this into melee2, i like brawl for brawl..)

CUSTOM TAUNTS? i WANT ALLLLL my taunts to spike, and look diferent.

i unno tehres ALOT of things that are theoretically possible, but it wont matter, its not like we can mod every wii at evry tournement.

DracoKun

Smash Cadet
Sorry If I am coming off as a ****** when saying this, I just want to make sure I am clear on this and so i can put my mind at ease.

I guess what I am still confused about (since my question was answered some what? Not sure.) is whether or not it is possible for us to be adding in brand new characters (possibly in the future) by means of maybe adding new models and using pre-existing animations and sprites of characters already in the game (or completely new ones if at all possible). Since I am guessing you CAN edit the character's abilities from what I am gathering, but is it possible to add in a completely new character. making more then the 35 already in the game.

Meaning taking something like Rob's animations and making Geno or Taking charizard's animations and making him by himself and give him a Ridley model. Or by mixing a bunch of animations & abilites as say.. Samus Arm cannon (being able to walk & charge with it), Kirby's Copy Ability (without the hats or sucking up) by using Gannondorf's side B and giving it a new character model to make Mega Man. (though that one probably isnt AS likely..)

But you get my point (i hope), but basicly making NEW characters by adding onto the 35 already established ones. If this is even remotely possible I think a lot of people would jump all over the chance to do this and even mod their wii's (heck I know I would). But if its no where near possible (not even in the slightest) then I just want to know for sure so I can stop thinking about the possibility the future holds.

And yes I know I sound like some random noob hoping that one day there will be more characters in this game, but I am happy and willing to live with the fact that even hacking won't make it happen. I am definitely happy with brawl and will continue to play it regardless if its impossible. I just want to make sure I know its not possible so I can just put my mind at ease. Just a simple honest yes or no answer will suffice details can be given on either but saying yes/no clearly will help an idiot like me get the picture.

fujbubccc

Smash Apprentice
As far as reformatting brawl, I think that there is something to be said for smoothing out some of the rough edges, like Sonic's teleport, the DDD mine glitch, Kirby glitch at Pictochat, etc. Obviously these are not the same as reformatting textures, but it would make the game a lot smoother.

Edit: I also understand it's a long way off, but it is something to look forward to.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Keep in mind this thread is to discuss Changing costumes and colours around. If you guys are going to start discussing changing everything else, it might be better if a separate topic was made. (Aimed at everyone offering suggestions on what should be changed)

gehaga

Smash Cadet
You are right, thats how it was explained to me when I ask a person at a convention about ssb64.

JohnAnon

Smash Cadet
But still, there was this thread before about some guy hacking Brawl, but the only changes planned were to make it like Melee. I'm fine with changing the gravity and hitstun, but they planned to add the unnecessary action of pressing L to reduce lag (I'm not talking about L-Canceling, but I mean actually doing it). And nothing else. Instead of making SSB balanced so that Melee tourney***s can do their Marth nair canceling and Fox's drillspark or whatever.

But, whatever, it's your choice to make a different thread and talk about changing Brawl. I don't know any coding myself, but I can give you ideas for character changes. If you want.

Forlin

Smash Cadet
Cooool

24 pages later, I walk away with minor modding knowledge and an awesome respect for some of you.

No requests, just a "Good job guys".

WIGI

Smash Champion
lol i guess were getting a little to exited/carried away here lol. we should probably just stick to what we know we can do, and the near future of waht we are trying to do, were not going to be able to do anything like that until we finish the nest step, figuring out the models and stuff completly.

i hate to be picky...... but that mr.L costume..is rly good, but not acurate, his buttons should still be gold, and his shirt should be black but with a coller... i understand why the shirt w/ coller couldn't be done, but the buttons shoudl rly be gold...
=]

Vctrx

Smash Cadet
white and black yoshi! I mean come on! Almost every character has a white and black color and yet yoshi doesn't get either although those 2 color yoshis were the most powerful in yoshi story.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
lol i guess were getting a little to exited/carried away here lol. we should probably just stick to what we know we can do, and the near future of waht we are trying to do, were not going to be able to do anything like that until we finish the nest step, figuring out the models and stuff completly.

i hate to be picky...... but that mr.L costume..is rly good, but not acurate, his buttons should still be gold, and his shirt should be black but with a coller... i understand why the shirt w/ coller couldn't be done, but the buttons shoudl rly be gold...
=]
Whathisface (Something like Ghosteo) says on his site that he has an updated Mr. L costume that he's not done burning.

Vctrx

Smash Cadet
If possible I would like a guide, this is very interesting. Region free seems inaccessible and I have to make sure all of it works on XP. Can you make a list of materials?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, so I've been playing around with a model dumper. I don't know if anything will come from it and right now character models are distorted, still it's pretty interesting and thanks in large part to Wolf Pup explaining things and by just looking through the files I've learned a lot. I'm not making any promises, but I will say I'm thinking model swaps could be possible. Of course it will have to start as something small, like another hat for Pikachu, but there are always possibilities.

24 pages later, I walk away with minor modding knowledge and an awesome respect for some of you.

No requests, just a "Good job guys".
^.^

If possible I would like a guide, this is very interesting. Region free seems inaccessible and I have to make sure all of it works on XP. Can you make a list of materials?
Sheck the first post ;)

Shining Blitz

Smash Apprentice
I have a theory. If possible, this will allow custom costumes without a modded wii or burnt disc. Would it be possible to use an USBGecko code to make the character load a hacked snapshot file instead of the internal disc costume? if it were so, we could simply re-encrypt an image file of the hacked texture into snapshot or compatable form, and use the code to load it.

Raganook

Smash Apprentice
Ghosteo's "Fading Textures" problem occurs with both Mario and Link. As you zoom out, the texture reverts to it's original texture. As you zoom in, it reverts to the one you designed. The strange thing is I've tried replacing ALL of mario/link's .pcs *and* .pac files, so that there is NO trace of his old textures, and he STILL will have a Fading issue with his original textures! Either the model itself has the texture painted on it, there is some other location where the texture is stored, or I am fundamentally misunderstanding something. However, all extracted textures have been completely re-done, and all TEX0 locations in the .pac were replaced.

Anyone actively hacking the game to swap textures, any recommendations or insight would be appreciated.

Shining Blitz

Smash Apprentice
Ghosteo's "Fading Textures" problem occurs with both Mario and Link. As you zoom out, the texture reverts to it's original texture. As you zoom in, it reverts to the one you designed. The strange thing is I've tried replacing ALL of mario/link's .pcs *and* .pac files, so that there is NO trace of his old textures, and he STILL will have a Fading issue with his original textures! Either the model itself has the texture painted on it, there is some other location where the texture is stored, or I am fundamentally misunderstanding something. However, all extracted textures have been completely re-done, and all TEX0 locations in the .pac were replaced.

Anyone actively hacking the game to swap textures, any recommendations or insight would be appreciated.

Mayby this is because Mario and Link's models and textures are important to some non-gameplay content somehow. What's more interesting is that A: zooming affects this and B: it's only (AFAI/WK) with Mario and Link.

Raganook

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, they are important, and yeah, zooming definitely affects it. I don't care how important they are though, either the textures exist elsewhere, or there is another process taking place I'm unaware of

SarahHarp

Smash Apprentice
It's known as mipmaps. You need to update all the rest of the mip sizes, not just the default one. (I don't recall brawl using mipmaps though, so I guess you're saving your textures wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom