• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

& Brawl+: The Montréal Weekly Poutine Thread...With More Sauce!

mongmong

Smash Cadet
I plan on making some more of these videos in the future, featuring more players:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgH1MwRM8_4

I would love to record one set up at the weekly. Jin if you read this I wanna know if it's possible for us to have maybe one setup that uses regular AV cables and not component cables? From what I can tell the computer monitor plugin thing only takes composites right? If it's impossible than it's impossible, but if you could somehow work something out that would be awesome.

Yes it would be possible. I mean the best way would be to test out all posibilities for recording with composite and component. for the component part I can ask one of the sf4 guys to lend me their haupauge for the component recording and we can test things out.

Smashmaniac_91

Smash Journeyman
Last wed was the first time PikAleX and I (Aeon) came to those weeklies, and it was really epic! We plan to come again next wed. For the paying problem, we should really find a solution that would not make Joel pay, i'll try to think of something.

mongmong

Smash Cadet
Hello all on the NCBA forum we just created a Tatsunoko vs Capcom thread and a Tekken 6 thread as well. The reason is that we have pre order copies of Tatsunoko vs Capcom and also have several copies of Tekken 6 but with nobody from the Tekken community showing up. So we have taken it in our own hands to host a forum to give these communities a chance to have a scene in Montreal. If you know anybody who are interested in these games let them know about our forums at NCBA.

http://www.ncbattlearena.com/forums/

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Okay so new pricing method:

When you leave, I will charge according to the ratio of people currently there. Here's the math:

[((# of stations)*4) / (# of people, including you)] * [# of hours] = Amount you pay

Example, there are 15 people there , you had played for 5 hours, and you want to leave. 4 stations were in use.

[(4 * 4) / 15] * 5 = $5.33 (instead of the usual $5.00)

The biggest downside is that people will be aiming to leave when the ratio is best for them, but that's not my problem lol. Also, I'm installing a 15 minute grace period; this means after the first hour of play, if you play for 15 minutes or more you'll get charged for another hour. And as soon as you start playing you're gonna be charged for an hour, even if it's just for a couple matches.

Sorry for sounding so strict on this but it sounds like the most reasonable method.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
So..... If you were there from 12-3 and you leave last you pay

((4*4)/1)*15 = $240?

I'm clearly exaggerating but I'm just trying to bring up a potential flaw? Or did I overlook something?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
So..... If you were there from 12-3 and you leave last you pay

((4*4)/1)*15 = $240?

I'm clearly exaggerating but I'm just trying to bring up a potential flaw? Or did I overlook something?
I do see a flaw, but not in the same way as you see it. The flaw you see is in how you're interpreting the formula, it's the amount of people there as you are leaving, not amount of people that were there all night. As such, stations will be reduced correspondingly. Therefore the formula would be:

((1*4)/1)*15 = $60.00

Obviously this doesn't make sense. The flaw here is that the ratio builds up exponentially when there are less people and less stations involved. I'm working on a remedy now.

That being said, I will only be leaving latest midnight, which means any time you spend there afterwards will be charged under your name under the regular rate.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I mean... honestly the best way to do it would be through netchamps. Like for example, we all put money on our accounts, we check in at the desk when we start playing, check out when we stop, money gets deducted from our accounts based on how much time we played. Naturally for this we'd need to find a formula that is 99.999% fair, and we'd also have to get netchamps to set up us too :\.

Cause I mean, if we do it through you, there's always the possibility something could go wrong. For example, someone forgets to pay you, or someone is new and doesn't really know how the system works.

On another note, i'll be there tomorrow.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I mean... honestly the best way to do it would be through netchamps. Like for example, we all put money on our accounts, we check in at the desk when we start playing, check out when we stop, money gets deducted from our accounts based on how much time we played. Naturally for this we'd need to find a formula that is 99.999% fair, and we'd also have to get netchamps to set up us too :\.

Cause I mean, if we do it through you, there's always the possibility something could go wrong. For example, someone forgets to pay you, or someone is new and doesn't really know how the system works.

On another note, i'll be there tomorrow.
I see what you're saying, but I'll get this working. I'm writing a spreadsheet =).

kr3wman said:
what.

I don't get it.
Then don't hurt yourself thinking about it :).

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
Man you guys are pansies, I'm beating jason with my new main and tag combination.
wat

wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat wat

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
It's not a lie! It got jason's falcon to 1 stock 75%, GET AT ME! :D

<3 Pkm, just trollin' obviously :p

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Well.... the tournament had a grand eligible turnout of.... 4 people. Joel I feel like you should lower the threshold for this week a bit, maybe make it like 8? or something? I mean it's kinda dumb to have like 9 or 10 people there and only have 4 participate in the tourney.

brg

Smash Ace
note to self

do not get high next monthly lol

Well.... the tournament had a grand eligible turnout of.... 4 people. Joel I feel like you should lower the threshold for this week a bit, maybe make it like 8? or something? I mean it's kinda dumb to have like 9 or 10 people there and only have 4 participate in the tourney.
I think its cause the last 4 weeks were like vacation and new year's so @ 10$ there will probably be more people eligible next time

ThatGuy

Smash Master
In reality, Fhatuik got 2nd. In my heart, I got 2nd :).

brg pretty much got it right Fizzi. It's not hard to make 10 bucks over 3 1/2 weeks, especially when I post every time how much you've paid so you know how long you need to be there for next time. I will lower the threshold depending on attendance after the next tournament.

I'm also going to ditch the formula and just find something simpler, the ratios it was giving were nuts :laugh:.

FaTuik

Smash Journeyman
In reality, Fhatuik got 2nd. In my heart, I got 2nd :).

lol nice ending for me, next time try to win the first game =) toute maniere je vais prendre shiek contre marth éventuellement.

Brg you are not bad , try samus next time !

PkM is too good, i can't take a game LOL hes always ****** me.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Too bad I couldn't participate in the tournament, should have gone to Charles' thing instead.

Anyhow, I think the reason that I was disappointed to not be in the tournament is not the fact that I didn't get to play, but rather that the whole thing seems to force people to attend and play. I know it sounds weird, and of course people in the bracket should be people who contribute, but at the same time I don't like being tied down. If I'm at NCBA, it's not to play smash or SF, it's to play whatever and/or chill.

All in all, this pay $X to participate seems kinda flawed to me... I know Steb would have loved to participate, just like me and some others. That being said, I know my defense is pretty weak in this topic, I can't think of many arguments to back myself up, and I can't dismantle the arguments against me, so I'll just shut up and take it like a man. That is all.

brg

Smash Ace
lol nice ending for me, next time try to win the first game =) toute maniere je vais prendre shiek contre marth éventuellement.

Brg you are not bad , try samus next time !

PkM is too good, i can't take a game LOL hes always ****** me.
naaaah, jvais focus sur pas me faire rest ;)

brg

Smash Ace
Lol dependant sur le character que tu utilises Good Luck, meme les top player se font rest non stop.
cest encourageant ca lol

avec fox falco jai limpression que cest les pires :S

Too bad I couldn't participate in the tournament, should have gone to Charles' thing instead.

Anyhow, I think the reason that I was disappointed to not be in the tournament is not the fact that I didn't get to play, but rather that the whole thing seems to force people to attend and play. I know it sounds weird, and of course people in the bracket should be people who contribute, but at the same time I don't like being tied down. If I'm at NCBA, it's not to play smash or SF, it's to play whatever and/or chill.

All in all, this pay $X to participate seems kinda flawed to me... I know Steb would have loved to participate, just like me and some others. That being said, I know my defense is pretty weak in this topic, I can't think of many arguments to back myself up, and I can't dismantle the arguments against me, so I'll just shut up and take it like a man. That is all.
d'un coté ta raison, le but cest pas de *forcer* les gens a jouer, mais l'idée de joel est pas mauvaise non plus dans le sens que cest juste cool de faire des mini-tournoi sans entry fee direct

ThatGuy

Smash Master

I don't really know how to respond directly to this since it doesn't make much sense to me, and you gave up before you even began :(. I'll try to address this the best I can, not specifically to you but to everyone in general.

The tournament does not force people to attend and play, it gives people an incentive to do so. I don't understand how you can feel tied down when everyone was allowed to play at the same time as the tournament was running, just like every other weekly. You're still able, and always have been able, to play anything you want and chill. You don't have to feel obligated to join the tournament, you only do so when you choose to do so.

So what is the root of the problem here? Is it because you didn't get the chance to win money? In that case, this is not what these tournaments are for; they are an incentive to increase participation (both good and bad players), not to become someone's monthly cash cow. If you want to win the money, you have to do the time. If this is what you mean by being tied down, then yes, I am tying you down from coming in and taking the money without (in my opinion) spending a substantial amount of time playing other people at the weeklies. So if good players come often, they win money, and bad players gain the benefit of playing them; if they don't, bad players who otherwise would never cash in a real tourney make something out of their time. It sounds win-win to me!

Now, the reason I don't run straight up entry tournaments is because of what I observed at Gamers World; the players who don't think they'll have a chance to win money will only enter if pressured into doing so, especially when you have to spend more money for less gameplay. With this method, participation is practically free given that you play enough. Not only that, but we have the whole cash cow problem arising again.

Maybe it's because the tournament excluded so many people, or because you simply wanted to play in a tournament but were refused? Well, that's a problem, I agree, but as Richard Rahl would say (kr3w if you don't remember this you'll see it too much later :lick:): think of the solution, not of the problem. Why not run some 'ranbats', and see if people want to join in? OR, I could modify the tournament scheme so that while anyone can participate, only people who made the threshold are eligable to win money (IE 4th place gets 3rd place money, etc). My laptop is at your disposal for any event you wish to run, and barring that Jin would probably be willing to help as well. There are infinite possibilities we can come up with to make everyone's experience just a little better.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
ouin.

jdois avouer qu'en partie, j'tais surpris de pas être dans le tournoi pcq la dernière fois que j'ai été aux weeklies, j'ai pull un joel pis j'ai absorbé la dette que personne voulait payer après le départ de joel (jfaisais des teams avec pkm vs bam/vwins, pis pest/fhatuik jouaient sur l'autre télé, mais personne voulait payer plus qu'y avaient payé à joel). ça a fait vibré ma corde sensible mettons. Il semblerait que les weeklies finissent quand joel décide de partir. =/ J'tais quand même pas pour dire "ouais ben jdevrais être dans le tournoi, la dernière fois j'ai payé X$ de plus quand on est parti plus tard", surtout pas au gars qui se fait **** à chaque semaine par les coûts additionnels.

edit: joel posted while I posted.
Like I said, I have no valid counter argument to this, just whining. So again, I'll shut up.
I just wanted to compete with something on the line for the thrill of it. Didn't meet the qualifications. I don't cry for Canadians who can't get on Survivor, so I won't cry for myself. Then again, if I go to weeklies, I can rarely spend the whole time playing Smash. I usually switch from one thing to another to back alleys and random hobos on the street. Overall it is good for participation though.

Again I have no valid argument, so I guess we can move on to other stuff.

Top Bottom