• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl tournament at PlayNTrade-Walpole MA UPDATED! POST IN THIS THREAD ONLY!

JRAFF

Smash Cadet
Cool! I just might be able to make it out to this one. My GC controller is actually from this Play N Trade so it'll be coming back home haha...

I still haven't been to a Brawl tournament...

I will dress fancy for the occasion. So... if you see someone wearing a paisley shirt, that's me.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Hey, whoever places 1st and 2nd, since PNT has nothing of value to buy with your store credit wanna buy me Brawl?
I'll love you forever. <3

Also, JRAFF knows how it is. Look your best for smash, yeahuhz.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
hey spictom i thougth about coming but singups close to early
how about singups till 12 i could come but since im goin to a Guilty Gear tourney on saturday
so there is now way i can get so early id have to get up to early to come there. I can probally make it by 11:30 thougth, some of my crew members would probally come as well

Cort

Apple Head
Wait, so the place hosts tournaments where people spend money, then the prizes are only store credit that are already predetermined?

lmao what a rip off

I don't think I'm coming to this considering the gas money/low expected outcome anyway :/

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Yeah, PNT is always like that.

So I should be there, considering I have nothing better to do, and I wanna see how I stack up in Brawl.

Falco1234

Smash Cadet
You last visited: 01-03-2008 at 02:27 PM

wow its been a long time since ive been on this site, but i might go to this its been a long time since ive been to a smash tourney :p

MONEY MATCHEZ ANY1?!

S.P.I.C. TOM

Smash Ace
Wait, so the place hosts tournaments where people spend money, then the prizes are only store credit that are already predetermined?

lmao what a rip off

I don't think I'm coming to this considering the gas money/low expected outcome anyway :/
Hey Cort, This is Eugene Innocent Owner of Play N Trade here in Walpole. The reason that 1st and 2nd place are store credit is due to the fact the people in charge of the tournament made up the prizes before i could approve of them. In fact the people who did this tournament without my consent no longer work here at all. So I apologize for the lack of cool prizes. This is the last tournament Play N Trade Walpole will be running where the first prize is store credit. But to make up for it instead of making a 3rd prize I put up a raffle for an ipod that everyone who enters has a chance of winning. I have been busy trying to get ready for Play N Trade Walpole reGrand Opening and after April you will not see lame prizes for tournaments. So if the winner don't find anything they want all they need to do is wait a month before Play N Trade Walpole is fully stocked and ready to go. So I hope people understand my position and I understand the concerns and disappointment.

-Eugene Innocent
Play N Trade Walpole

This is Tom now just saying that sign-ups will stop at 12pm/Afternoon instead of 11am. The tourney will start at 12:15/12:30 the latest

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Hey Cort, This is Eugene Innocent Owner of Play N Trade here in Walpole. The reason that 1st and 2nd place are store credit is due to the fact the people in charge of the tournament made up the prizes before i could approve of them. In fact the people who did this tournament without my consent no longer work here at all. So I apologize for the lack of cool prizes. This is the last tournament Play N Trade Walpole will be running where the first prize is store credit. But to make up for it instead of making a 3rd prize I put up a raffle for an ipod that everyone who enters has a chance of winning. I have been busy trying to get ready for Play N Trade Walpole reGrand Opening and after April you will not see lame prizes for tournaments. So if the winner don't find anything they want all they need to do is wait a month before Play N Trade Walpole is fully stocked and ready to go. So I hope people understand my position and I understand the concerns and disappointment.

-Eugene Innocent
Play N Trade Walpole

This is Tom now just saying that sign-ups will stop at 12pm/Afternoon instead of 11am. The tourney will start at 12:15/12:30 the latest
If you are the owner, and the people that made the prizes rules aren't there anymore... can't you just change the prizes...?

S.P.I.C. TOM

Smash Ace
If you are the owner, and the people that made the prizes rules aren't there anymore... can't you just change the prizes...?
Well he would if they didn't almost put the store in bankruptcy so these are really the only prizes he can do right now while he tries to fix things. Like the last post said he apologizes while trying to re-build the store we didn't want to make this know because it seems very unprofessional but again he is sorry.

Cort

Apple Head
Well, I thank the store owner for the explanation. At least they care to get involved with and contact the Smash community.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
So, how exactly do I get to PlayNTrade by MBTA? Is it in the mall area place...thing? I've only gone through Walpole once, so I'm clueless.

unknownforce

Smash Lord

-Eugene Innocent
Play N Trade Walpole

It is most appreciated that you would contact the players directly. I don't have a problem with the prizes, but there were a few rules about the Walpole events in the past that were rather problematic. Please understand that I'm not trying to complain, and I did enjoy the prior events, but since you seem quite reasonable, I would like to bring the issues up so that they could possibly be remedied. If these issues are resolved, I would predict that more players would enter the events in the future and everyone would have an even better time.

The first issue was that friendlies (matches players have for fun outside of tournament play) were not allowed before or during the event. I understand why friendlies might not be allowed during the opening rounds when all the tv's should be used for tournament matches, but before the event begins I don't really see the harm in allowing the players to get some practice in. I know Tom said they would be allowed this time, but knowing we will have the owners permission would certainly be helpful. Part of the enjoyment of a tournament is knowing you can play a large number of matches rather than only 5 or 6 tournament matches, and I guarantee it would increase the amount of players who would be interested in attending.

The second issue is that players were not allowed to watch other matches and had to wait outside the store. Since space is an issue, this rule makes sense to a certain extent, but if only a minimal amount of players are watching the matches, then it wouldn't really be a problem. If it does become an issue and too many players want to watch, then I suppose players will have to wait outside, but allowing even a small amount of spectators would be very nice.

The last issue (and this one is very easy to solve) was bracket problems. I believe that Tom has a program called bracket maker. The program saves a huge amount of time and hassle. You simply have to enter the players names into the program, and the bracket is instantly generated for you. All you have to do is click on the winner or loser, and they are automatically moved to the winner and loser bracket. It would save at least a half hour of time. If Tom dosen't have the program, I could bring a copy with me, but it would make the event much easier to run for all of the PlayNTrade employees.

I'm sure the other players will agree with me on these points, and they would surely make the event even more enjoyable for everyone.

K-dêps

Smash Cadet
Is the Play n Trade inside the mall?
Also in the rules it says no Weapon/item sliding
what does that mean?

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I think weapon/item sliding is, like, say you pull out a bomb as TL. You short hop and drop it in a way that it lands on the ground. Then you dair next to it. It'll fly across the stage. I think he means that.

P.S. I can't go, guys =/

unknownforce

Smash Lord
No Tom?? That isn't good...

I just hope the tournament host saw my post. I suppose I can bring along my DS in case everyone has to wait outside again. I'll also go ahead and bring tournament maker, on the offchance the host is willing to use it.

Regardless, this event should be a lot of fun! First Northeast Brawl event!

K-dêps

Smash Cadet
Sorry for not making this one.
I had a soccer game to go to

There will be plenty more MA tourneys right?

melito

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Melito37
i had fun in this tourney . i was the guy with the luigi shirt and gold controller..........
i won round 1 then lose to unknownforce(really good player)
in the loser bracket i won 2 and lost to a ike user...i dont know the guys name but he was latin ...it was a close match..i could of won with the TL combo in the edge but when i did the dair it didnt spike him.

Spife

Smash Master
I'm going to mm9
today was fun (even if my last set was stoopid >.> gave a good 3 stock'in then got one stocked twice for the loss)
did ANYONE play Sonic other than me? Seriously I saw no blue blurs :( I know he's a sucky character but come on guys.

marth617

Smash Apprentice
hey i also attended this tourney i did pretty good i played and won 3 matches before i lost and went to the loser bracket then won 2 matches n the loser bracket then played kdj and lost but other then that i think i did rly good i played wolf. also wondering will there be results of all the ppl and what place they mad in the tourney??

unknownforce

Smash Lord
I play a little Sonic, heh.

In case anyone was wondering, here are the top 4. I'm afraid I don't know any further than that, although I know Cook got 5th and Bakura might have gotten 5th as well, but I'm not sure.

1st-KoreanDJ
2nd-Nuro
3rd-OmegaBlackMage
4th-Unknownforce
5th-Bill Cook
5th-Gonzales or Nick? (not sure which)

Blackmage knocked KoreanDJ into losers (too good!) Nuro beat Blackmage in winners finals, and I lost to KoreanDJ twice (I gotta train and get better!)

This event was a lot of fun! I had a great time meeting a lot of cool new people and seeing some old faces again. I'll give shoutouts later.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
i had fun in this tourney . i was the guy with the luigi shirt and gold controller..........
i won round 1 then lose to unknownforce(really good player)
in the loser bracket i won 2 and lost to a ike user...i dont know the guys name but he was latin ...it was a close match..i could of won with the TL combo in the edge but when i did the dair it didnt spike him.
i was the Ike player that you played

In case anyone was wondering, here are the top 4. I'm afraid I don't know any further than that, although I know Cook got 5th and Bakura might have gotten 5th as well, but I'm not sure.

1st-KoreanDJ
2nd-Nuro
3rd-OmegaBlackMage
4th-Unknownforce
5th-Nick Cook
5th-Bakura?

Blackmage knocked KoreanDJ into losers (too good!) Nuro beat Blackmage in winners finals, and I lost to KoreanDJ twice (I gotta train and get better!)

This event was a lot of fun! I had a great time meeting a lot of cool new people and seeing some old faces again. I'll give shoutouts later.

yeah im pretty sure i got 5th with Cook and its Gonzales BTW

marth617

Smash Apprentice
i am nick liitle and i played kdj n the loser semi finals and i think i got 4th.... do u have a list of the brackets?

Top Bottom