• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Creation & Showcase Workshop: Post your BrawlBox stuff here!

Photos

Smash Journeyman
no scripts, plenty of hex editing, an additional modeling program, with the aid of ddb1

it was annoying and difficult (you only saw the vertex set as vertices and not the model)

honestly, working with the old method would take more effort than just rewriting brawlscript to handle those values.
lol, do you know anyone who would be willing to do it/tell me how to rewrite brawlscript? i have 0 programming skills. i can use computers really well, but the only experience i have w/ scripts is copy/paste.

br3compactor

Smash Ace
What I've been trying to make work all day long:

Model imports from CstlvnJdjmnt

lol I painted Purin a lil' bit because I disliked the opaqueness shown in BBox

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Btw you meant flatness, not opaqueness. Opaque means not transparent. Opacity is the opposite of transparency.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
..when though...?
Eventually. BlackJax96 is working on it as much as he can, but there's all sorts of things that still need to be fixed before they can be saved properly.

Anyway, out of boredom I started working on two of my older Brawl hacks again, the first one I'm pretty sure I've shown off here before.

Dejiko (on the left) still needs some vertex hacking (mainly with her hair), and Puchiko (on the right) is almost done in the way of vertex hacking (gonna have to fix up a few things), but the textures are still a WIP and will be updated before I work on the other half of the hack, and I'll also have to tweak the normals and UV mapping a bit.

There really aren't enough Ice Climbers vertex hacks out there compared to the other characters. :p

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
sure aren't, only hammer bros and lemmings really. characters besides toon link and marth need more love

Roo525

Smash Ace
..when though...?
Alot sooner than you think. Actually, models can be successfully imported into Brawlbox without any problems at all. The main issue is saving the new .pac/.pcs file for use in Brawl. I talk to him alot though, and he says that it's very close to completion.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
they're just weapons verts, not full character vertex edits like many a character has. In a way, they hardly count unless the character has practically no costumes made for them, which the IC just so happen to be neglected. characters like bowser, ic, gnw, rob, wario, fox, wolf, lucario, sonic, and the puffball duo need more quality costumes developed for them, especially with the costume limits extending to 10 soon.

apart from ic's vertexed costumes, I like zombie climbers, sith climbers, starwaffle's sand climbers, and a few of the imports (so long as they don't need their own motion pacs)

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
they're just weapons verts, not full character vertex edits like many a character has. In a way, they hardly count unless the character has practically no costumes made for them, which the IC just so happen to be neglected. characters like bowser, ic, gnw, rob, wario, fox, wolf, lucario, sonic, and the puffball duo need more quality costumes developed for them, especially with the costume limits extending to 10 soon.

apart from ic's vertexed costumes, I like zombie climbers, sith climbers, starwaffle's sand climbers, and a few of the imports (so long as they don't need their own motion pacs)
No love for plain texture hacks and simple vertextures? :<

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
No love for plain texture hacks and simple vertextures? :<
No I love awesome texture work and simple vertex edits are fantastic for costumes (the hair was all my guile needed) but rtb was saying there were few vertexed characters for ice climbers, as there obviously are. The neglected characters need more good costumes, as compared to the overly done characters, at least to have more choices.

yeah bp never puts his stuff on brawlvault*, so the commonfolk don't know about his awesome stuff on stacksmash. I keep a hawk's eye on brawlvault and stacksmash and have seen every hack ever made and released on them. if anyone knows of anyone else who makes good work and doesn't always post to those, I'd like to know.

*(except for his often-stolen knight mario which he didn't put up there in the first place)

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Well, the truth is, as unfortunate as it is, hackers consider old-fashioned retextures as passe, now that vertexes and model swaps are possible, and soon, importing from any source.

But it's true, texture hacks make nice alt costumes, but people now are going "why download a simple texture when there's a good vertex hack or import?". Y'know?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Someone who can't make textures doesn't models mean their models are any better, it's sad the general community of leechers can't always tell quality. I'd gladly take an awesome texture from Das Donkey over any model edit.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Das Donkey made the best texture hacks, however, people now want stuff made with the new advancement, like vertex hacks and imports. Sad, but true. :(

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It is often sad that texture hacks are overlooked now, thanks to model hacks and imports. In fact, most of those hacks involve playable characters, leaving things like the Subspace Emissary enemies in the dust.

Throughout my time at Kitty Corp., I'm probably the only person who has made texture hacks for some of those Subspace Emissary enemies; there may be others though.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You'd be surprised what people do when they're bored.

Editing the SSE attributes to be the same as the normal ones does make things smoother, faster, and more fun, expecially in the case of characters like Falcon, Gray Fox, and Sonic.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I still have quite a few alternate skins in my Brawl that are just retextures (no vertex hacking), like the Animal Fur Climbers, the Ice Mages, a couple of Mario_and_Sonic_Guy's Wario textures (Blue and Flying), and every single alternate skin I have for R.O.B., for example. Sometimes you don't need to have vertex hacking to have a good skin.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Someone who can't make textures doesn't models mean their models are any better, it's sad the general community of leechers can't always tell quality. I'd gladly take an awesome texture from Das Donkey over any model edit.
I very much enjoy textures, but ummm how can i put this...

If you are making a texture for a character in brawl to look like someone else, I would much prefer a vertex edit. I don't really see how someone would want umm a yoshi only textured to look like ummmm a koopa when you could have a vertexd yoshi to look like a koopa. Why only go half way, y'know? (not saying the current koopa vertex is very good :x)

Unless there is like a cool texture where like mario is wearing snakes clothes for lulz or something, because then its STILL mario... just cosplaying as snake o.e I have a bunch of plain textures on my wii and i love it. Like phazon falco, or twilight toon link or sack ivysaur. They are nice textures and yet they are STILL the same characters.

A lot of people overlook textures when it comes to vertex hacking nowadays and it makes me sad :( I believe they are equally as important... i wouldn't want a ****ty vertex with a good texture nor would i want a ****ty texture with a good vertex.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Of course a good idea warrants as much as you can put in it, and model changes help accomplish that, if done well. Neither vetexes nor texture work are without areas of commendation, but the skillful combination of both makes for a great costume. Also, if your original idea is good enough to fit the character already, and implemented well, I think it can be convincing enough to "be" its own character, without much need for model edits or anything else.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Take Yosemite Sam, for example. He's a good Wario vertex, AND he has an awesome texture. He is a pleasure to play with. He's the perfect example of a near-perfect job, I'd say.

I'm just glad someone ported him over to Ness complete with a PSA. He rules.

Top Bottom