• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bro Love of Raleigh Presents: Smashfest of the bros. 12/27 (Starts at 11AM)

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
foxy, i'm assuming you can upload stuff from a vcr tape to your computer....?

if yes, then can you maybe put up some matches from a tape that i have?

Foxy

Smash Master
foxy, i'm assuming you can upload stuff from a vcr tape to your computer....?

if yes, then can you maybe put up some matches from a tape that i have?
actually... nope. i use a kind of external capture card (a usb device thing that i can use output splitters with to give input as well as the tv)

yeah, i have no idea what to do with tapes.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i want to try brawl+ some time :(

is anyone here coming to that boone tournament in january? bring a brawl+ setup to that, if you can.

or HERB, but thats faaaaaaaaaar away :p

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
brawl+... meh. i'm not interested in "making the game better." to my understanding, the attempts to "make it better" are attempts at making it more like melee

i'll be at herb, that's given

Foxy

Smash Master
i'm going to boone, i'll bring it.

brawl+ is actually quite good right now, i'm really only interested in it though because me and GofG pioneered the whole thing right after release. so i kind of want to see where it went.

it really still seems like brawl but it's just faster and if you play right there are 0-death combos on both sides, a lot more like melee.

it's just fun, way more fun than regular brawl. i want to run a tourney with melee and brawl+.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
i'm going to boone, i'll bring it.

brawl+ is actually quite good right now, i'm really only interested in it though because me and GofG pioneered the whole thing right after release. so i kind of want to see where it went.

it really still seems like brawl but it's just faster and if you play right there are 0-death combos on both sides, a lot more like melee.

it's just fun, way more fun than regular brawl. i want to run a tourney with melee and brawl+.
MK will have to be banned...dair combo in brawl+ is inescapable easy to start and its like auto-win.

Snake's recovery sucks though, the hitstun makes it so hard to get back.

I wonder how ridiculous Sheik's ftilt lock is with hitstun...probably even worse than the 30-45% combos it is in regular brawl.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
It's things like this that make me think people would have to get really ban heavy in order for brawl+ to be viable in competitive play.
and i can completely imagine why.
i guess that's why i've accepted that brawl is the way it is.
i don't want to mod it to make it more like melee.
lol i heart meleez too much to want a game trying to imitate it.

Foxy

Smash Master
well i'm probably the only one who has spent a lot of time playing brawl+ so i can answer some of your concerns.

seriously, there are a thousand things people say OMG THAT'S GONNA BE BROKEN/INFINITE NOW but really it doesn't happen. i played a bunch of shiek and ftilt/jab locking is really great BUT it can still be escaped with proper DI or using and up B, other techniques work to. it isn't infinite. snake's recovery is fine, the character who gets hurt the most is probably diddy but even he can still recover. since when was it bad that every character couldn't recover with just their second jump? it's just more like melee: harder to get back.

the best thing is that broken stuff is all over the table, which is exactly what makes melee great. in melee, someone can read everything and do a 0-death and could feasibly do it four times in a row if they played perfectly, but then they make a mistake and it can happen to them. broken things are possible but they aren't consistently unbeatable and it goes both ways in many matchups.

for brawl+, i got most of my 0-death combos with ZSS, Captain Falcon, and Sheik, but anyone can do it. it seemed like they were too easy but it's really just melee skill making it easy. i already know how to punish bad DI and teching, so i just have to do it and it works like in melee.

also, mk is not more broken than other characters, lawl. falcon is probably better. he doesn't move fast enough to dair or uair combo (with the uairs in particular, the higher gravity means he can't keep gaining vertical height fast enough to get more than 1 or 2).

i wouldn't rather play it instead of melee but i would definitely hold tournaments on it, and just reserve judgment on any bans until there's been enough time spent to really see if something is truly unstoppable. singles matches on it are a blast.

/rant

lets play it some at this fest.

Malk

Smash Champion
how many chain grabs are there in brawl +?
It seems like falco could downthrow every single char to death now
Pikachu probably too but no good finisher
I'm sure even like mario downthrow would chain to like 50 on some chars

Foxy

Smash Master
how many chain grabs are there in brawl +?
It seems like falco could downthrow every single char to death now
Pikachu probably too but no good finisher
I'm sure even like mario downthrow would chain to like 50 on some chars
nah, all of those old chainthrows like falco's result in hitting the ground -> techable at all low percentages. the only chainthrow that we really abused was falcon's dthrow and ness's dthrow, but both of those are di-able to go up so that they just get to combo an attack instead (if they read the di).

most of the throws like mario's dthrow, lucario's uthrow, shiek's fthrow/dthrow, they all either don't work at low percentages or are really easy to di.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
(Minimized for quote shortening, scroll up if you want to read)
/rant

lets play it some at this fest.
No offence, but considering it took months for everyone to learn all the ATs in smash games I highly doubt the two of you could have tested the 30+ characters to notice all the stupid that comes with it.

Also it depends on how many mods to the game you have, when we played at Karn's recent smashfest it had L-cancelling and hitstun, that was it.

Its fun to mess with, for friendlies. I wouldnt want to put money into a tourny until everyone knows whats going on.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Im going to bring my mic so we can commentate.

Toasty told me how to commentate its in my visitor messages.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Who does NC have that'd be any good at commentating

People here are either funny or know a lot about smash...we don't have anyone in the middle :(

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Who does NC have that'd be any good at commentating

People here are either funny or know a lot about smash...we don't have anyone in the middle :(
I can try, PP would be really good at it.

All you need is someone to talk trash and someone to explain the match.

Foxy

Smash Master
No offence, but considering it took months for everyone to learn all the ATs in smash games I highly doubt the two of you could have tested the 30+ characters to notice all the stupid that comes with it.

Also it depends on how many mods to the game you have, when we played at Karn's recent smashfest it had L-cancelling and hitstun, that was it.

Its fun to mess with, for friendlies. I wouldnt want to put money into a tourny until everyone knows whats going on.
yeah, i can't deny that there certainly will be broken things but essentially it doesn't take much to test because we know exactly what the brawl engine is and we know exactly what we changed in it; therefore, it's not like a whole new game. it just takes playing some matches and experimenting to figure out that there really aren't many issues. once you play some of it you'll understand what i mean: it just doesn't seem broken, unless you think 0-death combos are broken, in which case said person would be hypocritical.

currently we've got melee airdodge, wavedash, l-canceling (although i'm definitely leaning towards auto l-canceling, it just seems to make sense, but i haven't tried it), hitstun on a slightly high amount, gravity on a slightly high amount, and no tripping.

i tell you, the increased fall speed is HUGE for combos and for making things less broken (and more things that require skill broken). it means that most chainthrows and dumb air combos aren't unstoppable. it's probably more important than anything else.

if at this smashfest and my next one a bunch of people get a chance to play it with the mods i use and they like it then i'll have a tournament, maybe a side one to get people into it marginally. i wouldn't have one suddenly before people really understand it.

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
so foxy makes brawl+ sounds intriguing ... but if your jsut gonna make brawl play like melee... why not play melee... also i thought pp was outta town... not complaining though i havnt seen him play yet so im fairly excited about that

Foxy

Smash Master
yeah, we'd all rather play melee, but brawl+ is still fun because more chars and different stuff to do.

it's a different game from melee and more fun than brawls.

also i think behr was responding the the comment about good commentators, not people who were coming, although it would be sexy if pp was here.

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
well that makes more sense (i guess this answer applies to both comments) i assumed when you said we werent gonna have enough setups it was a response to what behr had said... and i can prly swing another set up so i'll be bringing 2 one wii one gc one projector one tv 1 copy of brawl and 2 copies of melee

Foxy

Smash Master
woot rawfuls, thanks for bringing all that stuff. the more the better.

if anyone wants to they can stop at a goodwill or whatever and go grab like 3 televisions for 10 bucks each. it's awesome for smash.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Well I have one I'll see if it can be hooked up to the cube bro.

Foxy

Smash Master
i just got a 22" lcd moniter so if anyone has the hookups we can use it, idk what all you need though.
i dunno about monitors, you usually need something like a gamebridge to be able to hook it up to a system, but there might be some other ways.

anyone know if they've got anything that works?

Top Bottom