• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buffered Pivot Grab: a new really hard infinite

Freaking Lux beat me to it. I was at the mall all day.:leek:

Anyhow, yeah. If DThrow's isn't ∂animation, then this has been made infinitely less of a task to learn if anyone is truly intent on getting it down. Read: Not saying it's EASY, just saying it's doable, but very difficult.

This might not work with other characters' DThrows, because DDD's is sort of unique in that it has pretty much set KB.

Alsoalso, I'm really digging that analogue stick position-naming method:muffin:

Edit: Inputting diagonally-down during a dash makes it go one speed slower. In melee, you can do this at any point in the run to slow down, but I don't recall atm if it's the same for brawl. I do know however you can do it during the actual dash. Like with Snake it seems easiest to tap 4/6, then roll the stick somewhere in the vicinity of 1/2, then quickly roll it back to 4/6. If you do it right, you'll actually see the dash slow down, like when you start a moonwalk. I'm assuming that due to buffering, a down input does the same thing and slows the dash down so you don't dashgrab out of range.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I hope this won't be banned by scrubby TO's. It is the biggest find for a long time and now Snake has a hard counter.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
SSF4 has icons and all kinds of short cut names for analog positioning

yes it did help me alot when luxor put the inputs as numbers so if you wanna adopt that system of inputs heres what that post looks like;

Joystick Commands:

Jab: Light punch
Strong: Medium punch
Fierce: Heavy punch
Short: Light kick
Forward: Medium kick
Roundhouse: Heavy kick

Most of the more seasoned players and many newer ones refer to the buttons by their traditional names, so it's good to learn them.

QCF: Quarter-circle forward. Down, down-forward, forward
QCB: Quarter-circle back. Down, down-back, back
HCF: Half-circle forward. Back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward
HCB: Half-circle back. Forward, down-forward, down, down-back, back
360: Full circle with the joystick. Typically used for throws such as Zangief's Spinning Piledriver and Hugo's Moonsault Press
720: 2 full circles with the joystick. Typically used for super throws such as Zangief's Final Atomic Buster and Hugo's Gigas Breaker
DP: The "Dragon Punch" motion. Forward, down, down-forward. Made famous by Ryu and Ken's Shoryuken.
j.X: Jumping X (j.MP = jumping strong)
dj.X: Double jump X
sj.X: Super jump X
tj.X: Triple jump X. Only a few characters can triple jump; Chipp and Millia in Guilty Gear, Taokaka in BlazBlue are some.

TK: A motion originally used for Sagat's Tiger Knee in SF2. Input the QCF/QCB/Etc. before jumping so you use an aerial move as soon as you leave the ground. Down, down-back, back, up-back, kick, for example.
Neutral jump: Jumping straight up
xx: When used in combo notation, indicates a cancel. cr.MK xx Hado means crouching forward canceled into a Hadouken (see 2-in-1).
PP/KK/PPP/KKK: 2 punches, 2 kicks, 3 punches, 3 kicks
~: Press one button, then immediately press the other.

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Number notation, often used for combos in Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, BlazBlue, and other anime fighting games. 5 refers to neutral, other joystick positions refer to you facing right.

QCB Kick would be noted as 214K. DP Slash would be written 623S. Etc.

icons they use for analog inputs and buttons

source;
http://shoryuken.com/f322/srk-glossary-wip-221033/

SuSa

Banned via Administration
so you have to input a quarter circle down after inputting 4??

4 meaning location of the analog stick using this number systemVVVV

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Number notation, often used for combos in Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, BlazBlue, and other anime fighting games. 5 refers to neutral, other joystick positions refer to you facing right.
I have looked for someone to explain that analog stick entry for so ****ing long.. being a casual in Blazblue and seing **** like 2A-4B-2A-5-8C was ****ing annoying.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

Now I don't have to double-check a video to ensure I'm doing the right move....

<333333333333333

PS:
I'm using MK vs DDD now if I find anyone who manages to master this infinite. **** you all.

With love,
WTC

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Lol, finally something to practice ^_^
No more complaining about d3 requiring 0 tech skill haha.

For real though, this looks really really hard...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I hope this won't be banned by scrubby TO's. It is the biggest find for a long time and now Snake has a hard counter.
No lmfao.

I challenge anybody to pull this off in tournament and to do more damage with it than with regular CG + bthrow / dtilt / edgeguard. I know which one will prove to be more effective.

:059:

Yikarur

Smash Master
LOL how people thing they get this down.

it's impossible, I don't believe anyone who says they did it often in a row without a Vid proof.
come one
you have to

in 10 frames!

Input Dash Backwards (don't need to be one frame but if you hold the stick longer your overall timewindow shrinks)
Put the Controlstick down.
Input Dash Backwards again for only one frame!!!!!!
Controlstick in facing direction + Grab SIMULTANOUSLY
and release the grab button before the 10 frames are over.
:D

btw "down" is for crouch that cancels the turnarround. The second dash input is for "run backwards on spot" and if you hold the stick longer than one frame you'll run 2 frames before doing the pivot grab and you're out of range.
I don't believe anyone will get this down, ever.

and ha@Luxor I actually figured it faster out then you in German Smash Board but I didn't look in SWF yesterday! xP

-LzR-

Smash Hero
With practice you could pull this off. Don't doubt human skills. They are crazy.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
With practice you could pull this off. Don't doubt human skills. They are crazy.
No, you don't get it. It's not "impossible" to pull off. But the inputs are physically so demanding that after like the 4th throw you're not able to repeat the input correctly again.

:059:

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I have looked for someone to explain that analog stick entry for so ****ing long.. being a casual in Blazblue and seing **** like 2A-4B-2A-5-8C was ****ing annoying.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

Now I don't have to double-check a video to ensure I'm doing the right move....

<333333333333333

PS:
I'm using MK vs DDD now if I find anyone who manages to master this infinite. **** you all.

With love,
WTC
alot of other fighting games use this system pretty heavily...it'd do you some good to just visit some of the sites if your lost.

http://iplaywinner.com/guides/

this site is great for explaining alot of things relative to the characters, their MUs, combos, and most importantly game mechanics

@everyone else downplaying this,
Time will tell if anyone else tries this. Don't be so quick to judge.

I've already discussed this with some of the DDDs here, and theres mixed feelings on it. So we'll see.

Who doesn't infinite/chaingrab/**** wolf in general?

Also, if Snake happened to have a grenade before getting grabbed, then that eliminates the threat of the infinite. Which, by the way, shouldn't be uncommon. Nades are Snake's best resources, he should have one at hand pretty much 80% of the time.

PZ

Smash Lord
Just done it in regular speed but not constantly lol

My input is during the beginning lag i hold a and use the cstick for the down.

Then i just use opposite direction<down cstick while still holding a<opposite direction<let go of a(of just slide w/e holding a) to move w/e was on a to x(seems easier than z)<opposite direction.

Sry if im not good at exlaining things.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Just done it in regular speed but not constantly lol

My input is during the beginning lag i hold a and use the cstick for the down.

Then i just use opposite direction<down cstick while still holding a<opposite direction<let go of a(of just slide w/e holding a) to move w/e was on a to x(seems easier than z)<opposite direction.

Sry if im not good at exlaining things.

thats a pretty nice idea.
to explain for the others:
- Hold A.
- input Dash backwards (you can hold the stick)
- C-Stick down
- you'll dash here because the button input is like (facing right) left down left but you have to release the controlstick and A at this point.
- stick in facing direction + Grab

it's still hard to do because you have to release the stick in time but It becomes much easier with this methode =D

PZ

Smash Lord
thats a pretty nice idea.
to explain for the others:
- Hold A.
- input Dash backwards (you can hold the stick)
- C-Stick down
- you'll dash here because the button input is like (facing right) left down left but you have to release the controlstick and A at this point.
- stick in facing direction + Grab

it's still hard to do because you have to release the stick in time but It becomes much easier with this methode =D
Yea thats basically wut it is but i didnt really do it my finger slipped and i hit forward twice but somehow i hit c stick downwhile holding a of course between the double hittting of forward.

Unless you can do it consistantly this is really not worth it at all.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
I was wondering...
Is it possible to do the Buffered Pivot grab in a grounded grab release?
If so, Bowser can get the regrab in a few more characters.

Luxor

Smash Champion
It would require a double check for range, but it should be possible if Bowser's pivot grab is frame 10 or less (you have 10 frames of advantage, right?).

EDIT: It's frame 9, so Bowsers should start working on this.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I kind of doubt it'll work for anyone else, but I might test Pika/Falco to be sure.
With pikachus Dthrow CGs, there are some people he could cg but are able to footstool out if dthrow isnt stale enough. Could this maybe prevent him from being footstooled?

Tmacc

Smash Lord
What about the other possibilities? For example, that usmash out of this. Would that be able to land on cgables for sure or anything?
I think we can look deeper into this than just the grab.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Shouldnt Forward -> Backward -> Forward + Grab also work?

Just asking. Maybe someone with Frame by Frame Hack could test it ^^

Yikarur

Smash Master
Shouldnt Forward -> Backward -> Forward + Grab also work?

Just asking. Maybe someone with Frame by Frame Hack could test it ^^

I posted it already, the down input buffers a crouch which is necessary.
Look in the GSB Thread or 1 or 2 pages ago.

Luxor

Smash Champion
What about the other possibilities? For example, that usmash out of this. Would that be able to land on cgables for sure or anything?
I think we can look deeper into this than just the grab.
Listen to Yika, he knows his stuff.

Also I'm going to double check the frame perfect options D3 has out of Dthrow.

Also BPC, if you read this change the title to say "Buffered Pivot Grab- Infinite on Snake".

I doubt DDD could pull an USmash out of this, but I think an UTilt is a possibility. Maybe even SHNair/Bair, but I doubt it.

Lux, you never said how much advantage DDD has. :p

Luxor

Smash Champion
Usmash is guaranteed on a few characters (frame advance is in that state where every frame advance counts as a grab, so I can't test atm; I'm about half done.) Dash RAR Bair might work on taller characters. As far as advantage, it differs for every character (+19 on Snake, +20 on Lucario, etc. ) and whether that character gets Usmashed depends not only on advantage but also the distance they slide and how fast Usmash covers distance. I'll get all the data, though. Dthrow to Usmash may not work in a whole lot of matchups, but it's an easy guaranteed kill where it does work.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Results of Dthrow Buffered Dash Usmash. Yes means Usmash away, No means they slide out of range or powershield it. Only tested chaingrabbable characters, doesn't work on the Unchainable Twelve.

YES USMASH
LUCARIO
BOWSER
LINK
GANON
DDD
CHARIZARD
IVYSAUR
NESS
SONIC

NO USMASH
MARIO
SNAKE
WOLF
LUIGI
PEACH
DK
DIDDY
YOSHI
WARIO
TOON LINK
SAMUS
PIT
SOPO
ROB
WOLF
CAPTAIN FALCON
MARTHA
IKE
LUCAS

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
So has anyone got the chance to get the hang of it yet? I still haven't tried it out, when I get the chance on tuesday or wednesday ill try it out most def.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I'm confused, what has this to do with upsmash? The whole thing is for buffering a frame one backwards dash, Upsmash out of CG is something completly different D: (and lol does nobody EVER thought about the idea of upsmash out of CG? xD poor Lucario)

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I've been trying this a bit tonight. It's really difficult :O
But I think it's doable if we keep practicing. At the very least, we should investigate further and maybe find something else new/an easier way to do something.

Tesh

Smash Hero
How does buffering a dash in the other direction help you land an Upsmash?

Luxor

Smash Champion
The Dash Usmash thing is a forward buffered Usmash out of a chaingrab. Doesn't really have anything to do with buffering a dash back, but buffering a forward dash usmash is guaranteed on LUCARIO/BOWSER/LINK/GANON/DDD/CHARIZARD/IVYSAUR/NESS/SONIC. Just nice stuff to know. Input is forward-->X/Y-->C-stick up btw.

Again, so we don't get confused here, this does NOT involve buffering a dash back, it's completely different from the pivot grab infinite, but it's cool since you can kill these characters with a grab now. Although I still have to test it when Dthrow is stale.

Top Bottom