• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
well some degree of conformity is necessary for fruitful discussion. language is somewhat fluid, but words/terms have predetermined meanings to facilitate communication. even if we have a good idea of intended meaning when someone uses a word in an non-standard manner, it creates ambiguity in the best case. i agree that people, and i mean people at large not just on the internet, can nitpick statements when the intended meaning is evident, but idk that this is one of them. i was pretty sure you didn't literally mean dd, but at the same time dding only partially connotes what you meant. imagine you are an inexperienced falcon and you see someone say "falcon can outmaneuver falco by dash dancing." vs "falcon can outmaneuver falco by [insert list of movements]. you'll approach the matchup very differently depending on which bit you see.

anyway, i'm going to throw this out there-- fox is harder than falco for me, not that i am good against either lol. know that's not a common position and i have played falco/falcon a lot from the falco end, which prob plays a role. falco feels more "uncomfortable" to fight b/c he forces more abnormal movements and requires more patience, but i find it easier to sustain pressure on him and have less trouble actually killing him.

0Room

Smash Lord
Tarheel you actually encapsulated everything I wanted to say, especially in the second paragraph
So thank you for understanding

I thought I had explained that DD was a mindset rather than a movement for me but apparently not
I was going to say something along the lines of

Just because a Mustang is a Ford
It doesn't mean it's the only Ford
But that's kind of a weak similarity and it's hard to find one that I'm looking for

But what I'm getting from that statement was
Explain more
Less trusting in interpretation?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I think almost every Johnny set was recorded.

S2J vs Drephen
S2J vs Unknown
S2J vs Tink
S2J vs RaynEX
S2J vs Duck
S2J vs KirbyKaze

sadly, S2J vs VanZ high-quality version was corrupted so we will have to settle for the stream version forever

Walt

Smash Ace
For my playstyle and level of skill I find Falco abhorrently more difficult than Fox. Personally I think killing Fox and Falco are equally easy. Against Fox I feel like I can take some of the stage and make my own area of threat that Fox has to play very carefully to get inside safely whereas verse Falco I feel like that same ability to take any important part of the stage, zone him at all, and make any kind of safe area for myself is almost nonexistent.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
maybe did 0room, can't remember really. even so though if it already has an accepted meaning it's hard for people to think of it differently.

walt-- yeah falco can definitely pick and advance upon spots with less risk than fox can, but i also feel like it is easier to keep him trapped once you get him into a poor position b/c he doesn't have great horizontal movement over short spaces. style is probably a factor as i am usually more interested in figuring out how to infiltrate their space than i am in making it hard for them to get in mine (i know, falcon is not the character to do this w/lol). like i said it could also just be that i have a much better understanding of falco's intentions in the mu than fox's

edit: which is interesting b/c i play more falcon/fox than falcon/falco i'd say, but i've played falco more myself

Walt

Smash Ace
Actually I'm exactly the opposite! I play falcon/falco all the time and rarely play falcon/fox but fox is one of my secondaries and pretty much never play falco.

I guess I'll try to play falco more so I an figure out where his weaknesses are that I'm not really seeing.

D

Deleted member

Smash is so addictive sometimes that even after the tourney I am still in the smash zone and spend the day watching smash vids instead of doing my essays/tests due in a few days

so

PEACE for a few days

not gunna ruin my grades again for )*8031083108103813 x time

D

Deleted member

OMG DUDE I NEED TO STUDY

hah i'd say its 70% the region i live in (mango influence too good) and 30% the determination to become good at this fun, rewarding, extremely difficult game

==

yo when u come to socal lets try to get a smashfest going, me / lovage/ maybe sfat will teach you everything you need to know vs falcon and we can also just chill i guess

also your style to me is like the scar of fox, so ****

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'm jelly of you being in SoCal. So much good competition down there...it's mind boggling. Yeah, I need to REALLY work on that match-up. I tend to freeze up because of how little Falcon practice I get. i know there are ways around Falcon but he can be so incredibly overwhelming at times. I'll let you guys know when I'm coming down so we can do it up.

LOL man I love Bob. We used to be tight before he quit(?) smash.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
if you want to do 3 character namesearch search just search s2j's or s2js

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Hax mentioned a certain spacing vs Falco where you're close enough to hit him if he tries to laser, but far enough away so that he can't hit you. how do you maintain this space without getting *****? Just back off aggressively when they try to attack?

:phone:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's basically right at / outside of Falco's aerial range ... your aerials are longer so you threaten a fast Nair if he tries to laser while being able to runback grab approaches

It's not foolproof but you can burn them if you call their jump (and Falco's jump is pretty slow)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
what do you mean by corrupted? i might be able to fix it.
I honestly have no idea lol.

"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file."

and there's no thumbnail image like there is with all the other vids

I'll find time later this week to send it to you so you can look at it.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
if you want to do 3 character namesearch search just search s2j's or s2js
S2J could also try namesearching "Smoke2Jointz" since many people know what the s2j stands for.

It's basically right at / outside of Falco's aerial range ... your aerials are longer so you threaten a fast Nair if he tries to laser while being able to runback grab approaches

It's not foolproof but you can burn them if you call their jump (and Falco's jump is pretty slow)
Yes, it's risky for Falco to do pretty much anything if Falcon is just outside of Falco's attack range. Hax harasses Falco's space in this manner all the time.

0Room

Smash Lord
Hax mentioned a certain spacing vs Falco where you're close enough to hit him if he tries to laser, but far enough away so that he can't hit you. how do you maintain this space without getting *****? Just back off aggressively when they try to attack?

:phone:
I did a critique on Darkrain's match vs Matt R where he stayed right there
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13400127&postcount=446

The first stock description was actually good
Afterwards I came back to it and it wasn't as good but

the match itself is great

0Room

Smash Lord
I rarely listen with audio on unless I see comments talking about how good the commentary is
so I never even noticed it

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
so s2j is the only dude anybody talks about anymore, except occasionally hax

who else is doing work with falcon? who should i be keeping an eye on?

S l o X

Smash Champion
slox sucks and $mike said he isn't going to rom or apex.

does fsmash actually trade with some / all of peach's oos options? (not including grab) like, dair behind her shield and then fsmash if they're gonna jump?

saw something once or twice in mango v doh

PEEF!

Smash Hero
seems like falcons to keep an eye on are:

S2J for general dominance

That EC player...neko?

Hax for his promise to NEVER approach for now on.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I honestly have no idea lol.

"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file."

and there's no thumbnail image like there is with all the other vids

I'll find time later this week to send it to you so you can look at it.
i can probably fix it; no promises tho.

0Room

Smash Lord
I know Ali is one of the cooler falcons in NC
Kevin's Falcon is interesting but he doesn't really use it in tournament

[that is a challenge, PP!]
I really like S l o x's falcon [regardless of what he says]

GG7 apparently doesn't play a lot anymore
I asked Taj during State of the Game so :(
$Mike is dear to my heart because of his NC roots [even though I've never actually played him, hoping to fix that soon]

There really aren't that many top level Falcons right now besides S2J and Hax
I'm not really allowed to say anything about SS because we all know I know 0 about him

Darkrain is
well, Darkrain

So [shrugs]
Gotta watch that S2J

Make a name for yourself in the meantime I suppose

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
I hope this hasnt been asked before. . .

DownB

Does anyone aim to use this in certain MUs and at certain%s (where they cant cc it)?

Ive become a little known for trolling with it when I play, but I do actually feel like the move is sometimes a great option when cornered and the opponent isnt fox or falcon. It's seems like a decent mixup, that can sometimes deter aggression if your opponent thinks youre capable of using it. Anything that adds to your perceived options (in your opponents eyes) seems like a good thing to me.
If hit, you either get the opponent to the ground, giving you a tech option. And if theyre floaty, you get them in the air, which can then be followed up with some well placed uairs.
If they either block, jump, or spotdodge, you can then dd away and be left in neutral positions with a better stage position (assuming you use it when theyre close enough to you).
Fox and falcon can obv punish the move w/ their speed. Luigi could also be grouped in this as well, but Im not 100%.
I try not to spam it, as it CAN be punished if expected. I might use it one every one or two sets in my region.

Im also talking about a grounded downb, as an aerial is obv way way bad. . .

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
falcon kick is fine. its a get off me/get away from danger move, but thats it. You should never falcon kick and then expect to do some kind of **** combo out of it.

0Room

Smash Lord
falcon kick is fine. its a get off me/get away from danger move, but thats it. You should never falcon kick and then expect to do some kind of **** combo out of it.
I did do a falcon kick->[they missed the tech] shield get up attack->uthrow->uair->uair->knee on a sheik once

There was a small combo into the falcon kick [I think it was a stomp or something that lead into it] but you know
It was pretty cool

Top Bottom