• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
What's wrong with being gay?

Hope you don't have anything against transpeople. e.e

Oksas up and coming Falcon. Look out for him, guys.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Honestly, she's ok with me playing Melee, but in general it's more like I recognize what a black hole Melee is in terms of how much time it takes up, and I'm going to prioritize making sure there's food on my table for my wife and kids to eat. C'mon, folks, I've literally only been to like 5 tournies in my entire career, it's not like I'm some famous, top-of-the-metagame, pants-****ingly awesome, national-level player. Save your table-flipping and ****-givings for when s2j or someone actually significant retires.

Also, to clarify why I'm not going to post a lot here anymore, it's because I don't want to play Falcon the same way most of y'all play him or think he ought to be played. I want to play for higher risk and higher rewards because that's what's fun for me and honestly that's what works for me. I don't believe Melee is so simple that you can just say, "Well, there's your way to play Falcon, and then there's the RIGHT way to play Falcon." I will never get good at Camp-tain Falcon because no matter how well I master camping, I will never have the patience or the desire to actually implement it in-game. I don't care if that "holds me back" because I'm not going to become world-class by next July or August anyways, and I want to ****ing have fun until then. I'd rather be mediocre and have fun than play "right" and hate myself. All I will accomplish by asking for or giving more advice here will be to put me at odds with everyone else.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
crush on some Confucius **** lol

but yeah all johns hold equal value

so there is no point to john:)

Scidadle

Smash Champion
On a site note...

HOW TO EDGE GUARD SPACIES?

I feel like it's a big thing holding me back. Whenever I stomp the spacie I play against regularly (HarrietTheGuy) Meteor Cancels with like a 95% success rate. I also lose out to illusion on stage a lot. I dunno. I'm really clueless. Someone drop that knowledge on me

Windrose

Smash Lord
On a site note...

I feel like it's a big thing holding me back. Whenever I stomp the spacie I play against regularly (HarrietTheGuy) Meteor Cancels with like a 95% success rate. I also lose out to illusion on stage a lot. I dunno. I'm really clueless. Someone drop that knowledge on me
if you stomp them and they meteor cancel into another up-b, stomp again or back air, or ledge grab-->invincible ledgehop aerial (stomp, knee, bair).

if they illusion at you to the stage just shield it and wavedash out of shield towards where they land and dash jc grab them or knee or w/e.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I just feel like my stomp trades with up-b a lot and then I can't follow up after it. It's probably my spacing and it's probably just something I need to work on.

unknown522

Some guy
On a site note...

Watch hax edgeguard spacies

:phone:

D

Deleted member

I just feel like my stomp trades with up-b a lot and then I can't follow up after it. It's probably my spacing and it's probably just something I need to work on.
ya time/space it better i personally love it when a spacey has to come from below lol

also, a kirbykaze tip iirc is that u can't meteor cancel in quick succession so u can stomp them twice really fast if u expect a meteor cancel i think

my preferred method is to stomp them at the edge over and over until they inevitably screw up or do a dumb ledge-jump tech where u quickly b-air them

==

i also suck bawls at edge-guarding illusion but depending on height/ledge invincibility u can grab, jab, or even dash attack it if u want to simply react to the side-b

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
Im trying to pioneer some stuff with falcons edguarding vs my spacy playing training partner, let me share what I find is effective.

First of all, I find it great to pull out a nair to try and intercept a sideB onto stage - if it connects then get ready to turn around and back air OFF STAGE. If you do it correctly by pulling it out at the right time and DIing into the spacy it can pass through their upB fire just as it is staring up and even when it has started up (if done well enough). If you miss this back air for some reason (for me I miss if they up B earlier than I thought) then a dj -> uair hitting the ganon esque hit box will also beat the fire.

If this is a falco however, it ***** since there is no fire to beat anyway, ofcoarse you have to be careful of the sideB spiking you which should not be a problem if you pull out your hitboxes at the right heights and fast enough.
A bair can be just as good as a nair in the first place for this setup.

This off stage follow up can also work after tilts, I find up tilt as a nice option if the spacy is going to UpB at an angle where they are likely to poke their head above the stage. If it hits at lower % then the off stage bair approach is great.

There will be other timings and situations which you can go offstage and bair. I find the timing analogous to when using say marth or sheik - when you hit say a down tilt with marth or a down smash with sheik, this is a good time to go off stage for the fair follow up. I find its very similar to falcons off stage bair follow up. However since falco has to turn around its not quite as fast but his aerial DI does almost make up for it (remembering moving hitboxes have high priority)

If you do not have enough time to pull out a good nair/bair to intercept the sideB, I find rather than shielding I like to full hop then fast fall to get the spacy. If they are below a platform after landing, ff through the platform and grab, if they land without overhead protection, ff the full hop or dj ff and stop their face.

Hope this halps.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Call obvious illusions with uptilt or stomp knee

If they ledgetech drift away Firefox just kill them with Bair

Weak knee -> Uair if you want to cover a bunch of illusion heights at once while also getting high Firefoxes with Uair, but loses to Firefox if they drop down

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
also, a kirbykaze tip iirc is that u can't meteor cancel in quick succession so u can stomp them twice really fast if u expect a meteor cancel i think
whenever someone jumps or hits upB, it activates a 40 frame window where they can't meteor cancel, just like for teching

so if you stomp marth out of his up B, for example, he usually won't be able to meteor cancel it because his upB really quick.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
whenever someone jumps or hits upB, it activates a 40 frame window where they can't meteor cancel, just like for teching

so if you stomp marth out of his up B, for example, he usually won't be able to meteor cancel it because his upB really quick.
I ****ing hate that ****

Falcon basically has a real spike against Marth

Thank god for ledge teching tho

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever had a Marth opponent successfully up-B meteor cancel a stomp and still make it back.

unknown522

Some guy
Hax does this really sexy edgeguard where he SH knees off to cover if they do an illusion, but then if they up-b, then he DJ u-airs them after his knee is done. If they start their recovery high, then he just DJs back to the stage after the knee whiffs

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
Against Falco specifically, when he drops below a sideB to ledge heigh I like to run off stage->fast fall->dj up air his fire bird.

Upbing the fire bird can also work, which is hot xD

Hax

Smash Champion
edgeguarding spacies is an art. there's mad **** u need to know

Anand

Smash Journeyman
I was playing with one of my friends, and he asked how Falcon can get down from above Marth when being juggled with uair and utilt.

I didn't really have a very good answer, other than very vaguely saying "mix it up" (by using a combination of fastfalls, dairs, air dodges, double jumps, and drifting (and maybe rarely falcon kick hahaha)).

So yeah, I'd appreciate it if someone could answer better than I'm capable of. Thanks!

Hax

Smash Champion
I was playing with one of my friends, and he asked how Falcon can get down from above Marth when being juggled with uair and utilt.

I didn't really have a very good answer, other than very vaguely saying "mix it up" (by using a combination of fastfalls, dairs, air dodges, double jumps, and drifting (and maybe rarely falcon kick hahaha)).

So yeah, I'd appreciate it if someone could answer better than I'm capable of. Thanks!
he can't. no one can if its done right except for jigglypuff (and i guess mewtwo's up-b would be good for escaping juggles?)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Mixing up your fastfalling speed is a good call. Mango does that a lot and it catches people off guard. There's a big difference in timing between fastfalling + defending yourself with a bair, and coming down without fastfalling at all.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
so, can i get some tips against a fox that nairs a lot? it's like if i try to react to a short hop nair, they're faster or if i try to nair them out of a nair, they mix it up by nairing high and coming down low. also, when they shine after nair, it feels like they're pretty dam safe against my shield and i'm stuck trying to get out of shield pressure. also, if they're within a certain range of me, it's like they can just spam well-spaced nairs and i'm not sure what to do.

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
High angle ftilt is good, instant uair if you're hax ****in money, wd back cc grab (sometimes this works don't quote me) fading non ff nair retreating bair, fox matchup is gay.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Dont try to react to Nairs. That'll drain your mental reserves really fast. You can space a retreating dair to hit just as they land, but that can be tough. You can SH bair and that can trade/snuff it if you time it correctly. If you get your nair off before they do and space properly yours will win. (i believe 2nd hit of falcon's nair beats fox's. can anyone confirm/deny?)

If they hit your shield you aren't going to be able to punish good foxes. You'll want to just roll/WD OoS/Jump away. If they mis-spaces nair on shield you can sometimes get a SH stomp when they go for the shine, but i've only seen a few falcons able to pull that off consistently.

Single hit nairs (hitting with the first hit very close to the ground) is also really good for getting grabs and putting on some pressure of your own. After getting a grab, u-throw and fox trotting their tech rolls into re-grabs can help if you don't have a pattern for their techs yet.

Hope this helps, and i hope i didnt give any bad advice. lol

D

Deleted member

so, can i get some tips against a fox that nairs a lot? it's like if i try to react to a short hop nair, they're faster or if i try to nair them out of a nair, they mix it up by nairing high and coming down low. also, when they shine after nair, it feels like they're pretty dam safe against my shield and i'm stuck trying to get out of shield pressure. also, if they're within a certain range of me, it's like they can just spam well-spaced nairs and i'm not sure what to do.
challenging a really good foxs **** is impossible. the best case scenario is to just run away in 90% of cases

But 98% of fox players have holes in their shield pressure, mess up tech skill, so for those players u have to learn and see where they mess up specifically

in other words theres no universal right answer to dealing with fox pressure, vs most foxes it is very possible to figure out their weak spots in their game

===

i can usually dismantle n-air/b-air mode foxes, the really dangerous foxes are the ones who can mix up grabs with nairs really really well

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
challenging a really good foxs **** is impossible. the best case scenario is to just run away in 90% of cases

But 98% of fox players have holes in their shield pressure, mess up tech skill, so for those players u have to learn and see where they mess up specifically

in other words theres no universal right answer to dealing with fox pressure, vs most foxes it is very possible to figure out their weak spots in their game

===

i can usually dismantle n-air/b-air mode foxes, the really dangerous foxes are the ones who can mix up grabs with nairs really really well
I actually kind of shivered a bit reading this.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Jman was talking in the Fox thread about Falcon, and he basically said the same thing.

U guys should not even be havering problems vs cf he is so so soooooo easy lol u just nair him then when he thinks your gonna nair him again u grab him switch it up lol simple as that

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
So mabye in order to avoid getting pwned by this we must try to stay out of our shield? Or only be in shield for as little time as possible. Maybe bait the fox into thinking we will shield and pull out a stomp out of it real quick?

Top Bottom